PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves Fluff, Tree of Life Legend

BlkSabbath74
15-04-2006, 22:26
Hey, does anyone know where the Tree of Life rumor began?

For those unfamiliar, some say that Leman Russ departed Fenris to find the Tree of Life, whose seed could be used to heal the emperor.

I'm planning a Saga/Campaign based on this premise, which will be played both as an Inquisitor Online RPG, and eventually be adapted into a table-top 40k campaign.

The Norse mythos involving Yggdrasil, the World Tree, is a perfect basis for this. The Space Wolves, Thorian Inquisitors and Harlequins should make excellent protagonists, while the Thousand Sons and a number of mythological monsters created using the creature feature rules should be able to create a very vibrant campaign.

However, I have been unable to find any official GW source material for the Tree of Life myth, which I would like to quote. It IS in the wikipedia Space Wolves entry, and I'm fairly sure I heard something of this in the mid-90s, but thus far I have been unable to find any mention of this in the following; Codex Space Wolves 3rd Edition, Codex Space Wolves 2nd Edition, Space Wolves article in Index Astartes II, Rogue Trader, Warhammer 40K Compendium, Warhammer 40K Compilation, Chapter Approved I, II, III, IV.

If anyone can help me locate the source of this myth, I would be most appreciative.

t-tauri
15-04-2006, 22:33
Not aware of this. Seems like fan related stuff to link SW into Norse myth.

Kjell
15-04-2006, 22:34
When would he have gone to look for the tree? Before he left Fenris for good, or was it supposed to be the reason he left?

Da Reddaneks
15-04-2006, 23:44
my first thought was yggdragsil. Spacewolves are very nordic (obviously) and such a story could really only come from that. In fact, i am surprised there is not a lot more of Norse / germanic mythos woven into the spacewolves. Honestly there should be. But, to try to remain on point and avoid discussion of the obvious, i was thinking it was in one the Black Library Spacewolf books for some reason. Might be wrong but i thought i read it in either spacewolf or ragnars claw.

BlkSabbath74
16-04-2006, 00:14
When would he have gone to look for the tree? Before he left Fenris for good, or was it supposed to be the reason he left?

According to Wikipedia, and the fluff as I remember it, it was the reason he left. He was given a vision of the Tree of Life as he stood on the table in the Great Hall of the Fang, and it was the reason for his departure along with his warband.

It was worded in the "some say that..." language, similar to the rumor that the Grey Knights were created from the Emperor's own genetic material, or other such nebulous 40K Mythos.

Some accounts had him leading the 13th Company off on this quest, while others have the 13th company chasing the Thousand Sons into the Eye of Terror immediately after the Horus Heresy and the razing of Prospero. The latter works better for my purposes.

BlkSabbath74
16-04-2006, 00:43
my first thought was yggdragsil. Spacewolves are very nordic (obviously) and such a story could really only come from that. In fact, i am surprised there is not a lot more of Norse / germanic mythos woven into the spacewolves. Honestly there should be. But, to try to remain on point and avoid discussion of the obvious, i was thinking it was in one the Black Library Spacewolf books for some reason. Might be wrong but i thought i read it in either spacewolf or ragnars claw.

Hmmm, very possibly. I am planning to re-read parts of those anyway, to research the character Madok, Ragnar's nemesis among the Thousand Sons, so I will see if I can find something in there about it. That would be terribly convenient...

Yeah, I am planning to work in alot of of Norse Mythology into the campaign. I'm going to use the Creature Feature article to create suitable Norse monsters, starting with Frost Giants, for which I will use fantasy ogres painted in pale blue and bone...

Not sure what else yet, I've only got the first installment down on paper, it will involve the exploration of one of the dead Squat Homeworlds (I call them Cairnworlds now) and the recovery of an ancient artifact.

BlkSabbath74
16-04-2006, 00:45
Not aware of this. Seems like fan related stuff to link SW into Norse myth.

I would agree, except that the rumor seems too widespread...quite a few older players (Rogue Trader, 2nd Edition) seem to be aware enough of this legend to assume it to be cannon, but no one seems to be able to remember anything apart from "I read it somewhere," myself included.

BlkSabbath74
16-04-2006, 13:19
BTW, if anyone is interested in participating in the online playtest of this campaign, let me know...

Sasquatch
16-04-2006, 15:16
I can't help you directly but I can suggest you head over to the Bolter and Chainsword (www.bolterandchainsword.com) and ask around the Space Wolf forum. There are a lot of SW fluff experts around and they might be able to help.

t-tauri
16-04-2006, 15:41
I would agree, except that the rumor seems too widespread...quite a few older players (Rogue Trader, 2nd Edition) seem to be aware enough of this legend to assume it to be cannon, but no one seems to be able to remember anything apart from "I read it somewhere," myself included.
I've played Space Wolves since the army list appeared in the first Chapter Approved and 40k since the day it came out. I have every piece of information on the chapter GW have ever published. Never heard of this bit of fluff.

DraXaus
16-04-2006, 15:57
Yeah, Space Wolves being my vary first army and having a large collection of Black library books on them, this is the first I've heard of it.

Messiah
16-04-2006, 16:14
Irminsul was the Germanic version of Yggdrasil, if that helps you..

ArtificerArmour
16-04-2006, 21:13
It sounds very much like a dragonball z movie title...

I think whoever told you, well...has duped you.

Messiah
18-04-2006, 01:34

Irminsul? No, thats true. Im a history buff myself, and I consume about two to three history books/month, so Im sure about that.. ;)

biggreengribbly
18-04-2006, 01:40

Close, the DBZ movie was the tree of might!

And pretty cheesy by DBZ standards! I've seen worse....

*stops before I wander spectacularly off topic