PDA

View Full Version : Troll units.

Keith_Lupton
27-10-2011, 20:46
Further to a thread of mine on which army i should keep, I have decided to expand on my Orcs and Goblins. I have at my disposal 12 Trolls.
However i have no idea which unit size and rank size is the best option. I dont have to use all of the Trolls, I have ranked them up in a Horde formation 6x2, But i feel this unit is too wide and will take up a lot of deployment space.

Any thoughts? What are your ideas on Troll units?

Chacim
27-10-2011, 20:51
I think the 3 formation types Ive seen the most is a single troll placed inbetween units, a 3wide 2 deep formation and a 6 wide 3 deep horde formation. I like to run my trolls 3x2 but a lot of people have had good success with a single troll tacked on in combat to help gobos get kills.

KSpen
27-10-2011, 20:54
Good going keeping the Orcs.

I would say 10, 4 wide is a good bet, 4x2 +2 at the back for redundancy.

Keep them close to the Ld9 bubble and dont forget stupidity makes them also ITP, so any fleeing/wiped out units & massive casualties and theyll still hang about.

Ere we go spell on them is just sweet.

sssk
27-10-2011, 21:14
I like them 3 wide, 2 deep, then you can get 2 units, which are hard hitting and difficult to kill off, whilst still being fairly cheap.

Extremely good for support/counter charging

Keith_Lupton
27-10-2011, 21:17
My army so far is:

Warboss
Savage Orc Great Shaman
Savage Orc BSB
Goblin Big Boss

40 Savage Big Uns
30 Savage Orcs
70 Goblins

2 Doom Divers
Arachnarok

I want the Trolls to share a main battleline position with the Big Uns. Would 10 suit this role?

KSpen
27-10-2011, 21:29
The list is looking solid, is it 2500p?

Youll want to have either the bsb or warboss as a black orc, cos on ave you will have 1 failed animosity a game and could ruin your plans/magic. Being frenzied is hard enough to deal with :p

Id give the savages bows on a flank to further deal with their redirectors etc.

10 trolls is what id go with, going with better points denial.

Lowering the biguns numbers and the goblin could help fund some tasty leaders.

stashman
27-10-2011, 21:32
Ere we go spell on them is just sweet.

Only works on orcs...

Malorian
27-10-2011, 21:39
Get another 6 trolls and use them as a true horde :D

If 12 is all you have to work with then it just comes down to the amount of points you have available and the room in your battle line that you have available.

Remember that each unit of trolls or night goblins MUST be in range of your general. All the more reason to run things in combined hordes ;)

KSpen
27-10-2011, 21:57
Oh, thanks for letting me know...I still would have won :D

Oogie boogie boss
28-10-2011, 07:24
I'd go for two units of 6 in 3x2 either side of your General's unit. That'll give your line a real 'punch zone', and they wont take up too much space, so your NG can get into his leadership bubble.

Avian
28-10-2011, 07:30
I like units of 8 myself, but 6 seem quite common too. At the tournament last weekend, one guy was fielding 20 in two units of 8 and four single ones. :eek:

ftayl5
28-10-2011, 08:04
I like single trolls. Pretty darn useful.
Otherwise I think 6 is good and then 18 is amazing.
Depends on your points.
4 Is nice is too, 2 x 2.

Keith_Lupton
28-10-2011, 15:59
Get another 6 trolls and use them as a true horde :D

If 12 is all you have to work with then it just comes down to the amount of points you have available and the room in your battle line that you have available.

Remember that each unit of trolls or night goblins MUST be in range of your general. All the more reason to run things in combined hordes ;)

The idea for big units of Trolls came from your battle reports. Shame you didnt take any to Onslaught recently.
I like the idea of having 2 units of 6 supporting my Savage Orc big un horde. However i keep going back to a massive unit of 12 as a battleline unit.
12 is all i have. I just dont have the funds to buy anymore at this time.

Jericho
28-10-2011, 16:17
I like units of 8 myself, but 6 seem quite common too. At the tournament last weekend, one guy was fielding 20 in two units of 8 and four single ones. :eek:
8 is my ideal number when I take them in my WoC army. Don't have the second rank painted, but hey the rest look good! Throgg, too :D Taking less than this makes you pretty vulnerable to being crippled by some incoming magic/shooting.

I think solo and 2x2 are also viable options, as they pack a lot of punch into an exceedingly small footprint on your battle-line. With low/medium Ld armies that's a big deal.

Malorian
28-10-2011, 16:20
I just dont have the funds to buy anymore at this time.

Any ogre stand ins?

Keith_Lupton
28-10-2011, 16:30
Any ogre stand ins?

Nope. I guess i could always use a base for the mean time. I think ive got some lying around somewhere.

Malorian
28-10-2011, 17:03
Do it, and let them see you do it...

:D

popisdead
28-10-2011, 20:30
I would use 4 in 2x2 (better maneuverability with support), or 6 in 3x2 (for lots of attacks).