PDA

View Full Version : December 2011 release (bretonnians)

Enarion
30-10-2011, 21:35
Hey guys,

So I was in my local games workshop this week checking out the november release of the new Necron 40k army and the guy that owned the store told us that GW messaged him about a december army release comming up. The reason they did this (which they normally don't, they leave everyone in the dark) is that they normally do not have a december release because of being to busy. But this year its different.

Now we were talking about what it could be, and they specificlly mentioned a army release. With the a 40k army being released in november, we thought it had to be a fantasy army. Now the most outdated army model wise are the bretonnians. Time and rulewise, the bretonnians, wood elves and dwarves are all equally outdated.

Our guess went towards the bretonnians because they are not playable anymore with the current rules while the other 2 army's are (even if wood elves are pretty weak). Also the models from bretonnia are the most outdated ones.

What do you guys think?

Greetings
Enarion

BaSe
30-10-2011, 21:38
I reckon this isn't a rumour and is in the wrong section. :)

Anarnaxe
30-10-2011, 21:40
I would be a little wary of this.

With the holiday season, its seems a little strange that they would focus on just one army at a time when they traditionally (quite rightfully) release general items or a broad selection of releases for several armies.

Hiddenhaddock
30-10-2011, 21:43
Nah. I don't buy it.

Having worked for GW in the past, you don't get 'messaged'. They have internal Store Email, but that's mostly for HR Forms and their ilk.

Dominatrix
30-10-2011, 21:43
Check the other threads in rumours and discussion. You will see that the next release for fantasy is probably the Vampire Counts (an opinion supported by the resident rumour mongers).

As far as bretonnians are concerned althought they date back to 2004 if I remember correctly, they are neither unplayable ruleswise neither do their models look dated. They are knights on horseback for crying out loud. You really think new plastics will be that different than the current ones?

michaells
30-10-2011, 21:57
Maybe woc here goes for wishful thinking (probably wont happen though)

static grass
30-10-2011, 22:10
GW dont even tell indies what they can order before the release anymore. They just get given a bunch of codes and prices and are told to pick from that.

Well if its true I am guessing WoC. Their play style is pretty rugged and doesnt need enormous tweeking.

Gabacho Mk.II
30-10-2011, 22:16
All I gotta say is, Stop the Leaks!!

The LEAKS, the LEAKS..... get them!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

AngelofSorrow
30-10-2011, 22:24
Whatever it is please give me more beastman models. I want a jabberslythe.

Ready for eternal war!

defunct
30-10-2011, 22:29
Well whatever happens, an army release or not, nonetheless exciting what December holds for us. :)

Dice
30-10-2011, 22:37

Are the Welsh invading!?

Confessor_Atol
30-10-2011, 22:38
This is probably in reference to the skaven/high elves army deals.

Azazyll
30-10-2011, 23:09
This is probably in reference to the skaven/high elves army deals.

I agree, sounds like a garbled (deliberately or not) description of the boxed armies, which would also explain why it's not fantasy/40k specific, since both systems are getting two boxes.

Tuttivillus
30-10-2011, 23:31
oh, and brett's are very playable IMO.

ihavetoomuchminis
30-10-2011, 23:32
I've been told about this "book release" in December. Not sure if it'll be an armybook. But there's something coming for sure.

Maxis Lithium
31-10-2011, 00:15
Could be the Contingent book, I guess. Or VCs, as they're apparently the 'next on the block.' GW's been full of surprises lately, so nothing's really off the table at this point.

Liber
31-10-2011, 02:40
Hey guys,

So I was in my local games workshop this week checking out the november release of the new Necron 40k army and the guy that owned the store told us that GW messaged him about a december army release comming up. The reason they did this (which they normally don't, they leave everyone in the dark) is that they normally do not have a december release because of being to busy. But this year its different.

Now we were talking about what it could be, and they specificlly mentioned a army release. With the a 40k army being released in november, we thought it had to be a fantasy army. Now the most outdated army model wise are the bretonnians. Time and rulewise, the bretonnians, wood elves and dwarves are all equally outdated.

Our guess went towards the bretonnians because they are not playable anymore with the current rules while the other 2 army's are (even if wood elves are pretty weak). Also the models from bretonnia are the most outdated ones.

What do you guys think?

Greetings
Enarion

you really should take the time to read the threads in the news & rumour section before posting stuff like this :shifty:

brassangel
31-10-2011, 02:46
oh, and brett's are very playable IMO.

Except that they get demolished by any unit that has Steadfast. Which is like...every unit in every army ever.

GodlessM
31-10-2011, 03:05
Pretty sure army release refers to the army box releases for the HE and Skaven.

Voss
31-10-2011, 03:13
Now we were talking about what it could be, and they specificlly mentioned a army release.

As others mentioned, probably the army sets for HE, skaven, SM and dark eldar.

With the a 40k army being released in november, we thought it had to be a fantasy army. Now the most outdated army model wise are the bretonnians. Time and rulewise, the bretonnians, wood elves and dwarves are all equally outdated.

What do you guys think?

I think GW doesn't update armies on what some consider 'outdated'. Projected sales and what they have ideas for seem to dictate the release schedule. The vampire wave seems to indicate they found a direction they wanted to take that book, and rumourmongers seem to agree thats happening next, after the new year.

Ender Shadowkin
31-10-2011, 03:24
Except that they get demolished by any unit that has Steadfast. Which is like...every unit in every army ever.

not really, they are still solid but not much variety in their list. Sweet template attacks, cheap ranked infantry, cheap casting, and hard hitting knight buses with enough ranks to run right over your steadfast. Anyway, a new book seems many months away

Graven
31-10-2011, 03:37
I was in my local store on Friday and we got talking about the fact that GW don't normally have big releases at Xmas but this year there will be some releases for some armies ... when pushed he mentioned Mangler Squigs ... grain of salt but yeah that what I heard :)

theJ
31-10-2011, 07:15
Assuming this is correct... (add salt before continuing)

*Army deals are out every year (as far as I'm aware), so they'd go against the "don't normally do this" part of the rumour.
*It COULD be that vampires are pushed up one month... it wouldn't be a particularly big change to their schedule, after all.
*It could also (more likely, imo) be the first of the rumoured "contingents" (kislev?) - which is sorta likely, as they'd be useful for any and all fantasy players (therefore fits as a christmas release).
*It could technically be something entirely different, but I doubt it.

Wesser
31-10-2011, 08:22
not really, they are still solid but not much variety in their list. Sweet template attacks, cheap ranked infantry, cheap casting, and hard hitting knight buses with enough ranks to run right over your steadfast. Anyway, a new book seems many months away

Except for the book being many months away everything you say is wrong. The paradox here is that of all armies Brets have the least potential is close combat and hence cannot fight their way out of a bag of wet noodles.

Weapon skills 4 is the rule rather than the exception which means that even a lance of 12 knights cant expect more than 5-6 hits on the charge. Hitting on 3+ is only against Lizardmen and Skaven and the former has T4 and the latter...7 casualties on a skaven unit? Get ouf of here.

Brets basically have to beard it to win. Im talking swarms of of pegasi, maxing on archers and trebs, minimizing knights.....and how is that a bret army?

Urgat
31-10-2011, 08:28

Well, he heard someone at GW say there was going to be a december release, so, reliable or not, it is a rumour ;)

Sedge
31-10-2011, 08:36
Except for the book being many months away everything you say is wrong. The paradox here is that of all armies Brets have the least potential is close combat and hence cannot fight their way out of a bag of wet noodles.

Weapon skills 4 is the rule rather than the exception which means that even a lance of 12 knights cant expect more than 5-6 hits on the charge. Hitting on 3+ is only against Lizardmen and Skaven and the former has T4 and the latter...7 casualties on a skaven unit? Get ouf of here.

Brets basically have to beard it to win. Im talking swarms of of pegasi, maxing on archers and trebs, minimizing knights.....and how is that a bret army?
You are so wrong with this I don't know where to start. I have been running Brets for quite a while now (well since 8th edition) I picked them because I thought they were weak; how wrong I was. I use a majority knight army backed up with Archers and 2 trebs :cheese: and a 3 peg. i have played 48 games and have a non to shabby 85% win ratio. This includes winning 8/10 tournament games and winning taking top spot in one. Against some armies #(deamons) they can sturggle but against most they are just fine.

Wesser
31-10-2011, 09:45
You are so wrong with this I don't know where to start. I have been running Brets for quite a while now (well since 8th edition) I picked them because I thought they were weak; how wrong I was. I use a majority knight army backed up with Archers and 2 trebs :cheese: and a 3 peg. i have played 48 games and have a non to shabby 85% win ratio. This includes winning 8/10 tournament games and winning taking top spot in one. Against some armies #(deamons) they can sturggle but against most they are just fine.

I usually play against High Elves, daemons, Tomb Kings and Skaven.

To win against either I have to rely on a lot of things clicking into place.

Against high elves I have to 1) hope my archers can damage the swordmasters enough before they can roflstomp my knights. 2) Hope my knights can roll well above average to break the spearmen and 3) Hope Im not annihilated by magic.

Against Skaven I can kill his big stuff and shoot his warmachines, but every game seems to be race as to whether armour outlast numbers in very grindy combats. It's down to luck more than anything else

Against TK I have to try and Feedback scroll kill his Hierophant and to zealously attempt to assasinate his characters. It's that or watch his Tomb Guard tarpit and eventually take apart the knights.

Against Daemons? Destroy the riff-raff and avoid plaguebearers, blood crushers and bloodletters like the plague...not too easy.

Thats what happens to me. I feel I have to cheese to win. I feel like commiting my knights to a charge against a decent unit is like throwing them away. A lance of say 12 charging KotR compared to 20 high elf spearmen can expect to do less damage to goblins, clanrats and the like and even against ironbreakers or other knights damage is only about even between the 2 units! On the charge?!

Knights cant fight combat units, tarpit units and certainly not deathstars. They can fight chariots, light cavalry and small infantry.

Sedge. I also have an Empire army. I can win without tanks, warrior priests or gunlines. When I choose my army, I CAN decide whether or not you are going to have a chance against me. You can't. Every other army can take units you can do nothing about. You can't do that to them. You have killy characters and 1 bad-ass warmachine, but then you got useless knight and overcosted goblin-like infantry.

I don't know who you play against, but in my environment brets are laughed off. Friends and tournaments alike... maybe we're just more competitive...

stahly
31-10-2011, 09:46
Well I could see them to do some random missing models for various armies this time for christmas, like the missing Beastmen monsters that were in the talks for quite some time now. Because they already announced some special one-off releases in November's WD that you usually see only on Christmas (like the 'Eavy Metal book and brush set, the Paintstation+, the Skullvane Mansion and the army cases) which would free up the December release slot.

Enarion
31-10-2011, 09:57
Allright so most of you think there wont be any breton release.

The idea of random models being added to armys is possible imo.

The idea that bretonnians are not outdated, I kinda have to laugh at that, im sorry.

The idea that its all ******** cause they dont tell shop owners anything at all is normally right, but GW had to because the schedule for december changed. Hence this thread.

The reply that other threads needed to be read before posting, im not gonna read 880 threads before posting sorry I know its the right thing to do.

im sure there will be a big december release so we will see what it will bring :)

thanks for replying

BramGaunt
31-10-2011, 10:03
im sure there will be a big december release so we will see what it will bring :)

Nope. Just Chuck Testa. (But no, there really is no big december release.)

Tokamak
31-10-2011, 10:07
Bramgaunt said it! Reanimated corpses for december!

El Antiguo Guardián
31-10-2011, 10:08
VC on December?
I don´t think brets on december...don´t know.

jimbo2
31-10-2011, 10:13

Which is why a good player uses a mixture of knights AND peasants.

jimbo2
31-10-2011, 10:16
Sedge. I also have an Empire army. I can win without tanks, warrior priests or gunlines. When I choose my army, I CAN decide whether or not you are going to have a chance against me. You can't. Every other army can take units you can do nothing about. You can't do that to them. You have killy characters and 1 bad-ass warmachine, but then you got useless knight and overcosted goblin-like infantry.

I don't know who you play against, but in my environment brets are laughed off. Friends and tournaments alike... maybe we're just more competitive...

Sedge is right and you are wrong, I also play Bretonians and any Bretonnian player who runs a cavalry only army is a fool. The knights aren't useless when utilised in combination charges and while the peasants are a bit overcosted when used effectively they work. I'm sorry Bretonnians aren't an auto-win army but we like it that way.

Why is it always the non-Bretonnian players who go on about the army being useless?

Enarion
31-10-2011, 10:30
im a big bretonnian fan and I also think they are outdated. War machines are weak, peasants are to expensive for their stats, there is absolutely no fun in costumizing your regiments because they come with all gear attatched, most magic items are crap compared to for example chaos magic items (im a chaos player aswell). The heros are underpowered. the lance formation is useless because of second rank making attacks no matter the formation. Toughness is low.

Sure they have some things that can hold up like peg knights and magic. But compared to other armys these ''good'' bretonnian things are normal for any other army.

ps. Deamons are overpowered never compare to them. Skulltaker? bloodletters 5+ WS and killing blow? come on....

Amazonnia
31-10-2011, 10:37
Well my friend has a store and tells me that GW will say not to order anything from that army for the next 2 months.. odd enough they don't say anything else... They did that with the ogres, tomb kings and necrons... so I base myself on his info.

Chadjabdoul
31-10-2011, 10:44
I've been told about this "book release" in December. Not sure if it'll be an armybook. But there's something coming for sure.

Someone on the november WD feedback thread mentions a book with all the eavy metal masterclass articles together. Maybe that's the one.
(is the new tower terrain piece out this month? or December?)

Memnos
31-10-2011, 10:54
Whatever it is please give me more beastman models. I want a jabberslythe.

Ready for eternal war!

The fact that you use the Jabberslythe gives me great respect for you, sir.

BramGaunt
31-10-2011, 11:08
If you would all follow Harrys and Hastings postings, you would know bretonians are not out for at least a year.

shabbadoo
31-10-2011, 11:11
There may be an announcement at the end of December, for Vampire Counts coming out the in January, but that's it. There will not be a a full WFB army release in December, followed by another in January though.

druchii7
31-10-2011, 11:14
this is not a rumour. this is just speculation. bretonnians are not expected even for 2012 (in accordance to the rumours)

ArtificerArmour
31-10-2011, 11:28
I'm hoping theres more plastic characters coming soon, wehich may be bretoni and beastman based

SunTzu
31-10-2011, 11:28
Why is it always the non-Bretonnian players who go on about the army being useless?

I'm a Bretonnian player, have been since the 3rd Ed boxed set, and I think they're pretty close to useless.

Cavalry got nerfed hard and Brets don't even have the best cavalry in the game even before 8th came along. Steadfast is an auto-win vs. Brets; sure you can pile peasants in there to counter Steadfast but then you give away cheap ACR, so instead of winning (but the enemy doesn't run away so you lose next turn) you just straight out lose the combat, instead. And let's not even mention unbreakable units; against TK/VCs/DoC/Skaven, Brets might as well just go home, so that's a good quarter of the armies out there that they have slim-to-no chance of beating.

Even Bret armies that do do well are boring in both 7th and 8th because they are one-trick lance-charging ponies. Plus, the lance is a meaningless and disassociated formation with no out-of-game explanation as to why it works or why no-one else can do it.

It's clear from context that this thread is pure speculation and not remotely a rumour... but Brets are one of the two or three armies most in need of a new book IMO.

Voss
31-10-2011, 12:10
The reply that other threads needed to be read before posting, im not gonna read 880 threads before posting sorry I know its the right thing to do.

There are about a half dozen active threads- it isn't much of a chore. Especially since you can ignore threads titled 'terrain' and 'forgeworld' as they clearly aren't particularly relevant to your topic.

Tymell
31-10-2011, 12:18

this is not a rumour. this is just speculation. bretonnians are not expected even for 2012 (in accordance to the rumours)

No, it -is- a rumour. It being specifically Bretonnians is speculation, but "An army is coming in December" is a rumour. It might not be one that comes true, but it's still a rumour.

Enarion
31-10-2011, 14:19
well wel see, im sure the shopowner had some intell form GW about a december army release. Being it some random models or a complete new army, we will see. Those guys who say nothing is comming out are basing this on even less than I do

Voss
31-10-2011, 14:28
well wel see, im sure the shopowner had some intell form GW about a december army release. Being it some random models or a complete new army, we will see. Those guys who say nothing is comming out are basing this on even less than I do

:shifty:
No one said nothing is coming. We know what is coming. We have _pictures_ and _posters_ of what is coming.

Urgat
31-10-2011, 14:47
Yes: winter is coming. In December, too :p

Althwen
31-10-2011, 15:09

I gots the leaks!

Morkash
31-10-2011, 15:54
We know what is coming. We have _pictures_ and _posters_ of what is coming.

:eek: Did I miss something? Or are you referring to the armyboxes and the Manse?

Voss
31-10-2011, 16:10
:eek: Did I miss something? Or are you referring to the armyboxes and the Manse?

I am in fact referring to the army boxes.

As I understand it, the Manse is coming on November 19th.

Codsticker
31-10-2011, 18:27
As this thread is entirely speculation and not news nor a rumour I have moved it to Warhammer General.

Codsticker

The Warseer Mod Squad

Sedge
01-11-2011, 09:13
I usually play against High Elves, daemons, Tomb Kings and Skaven.

To win against either I have to rely on a lot of things clicking into place.

Against high elves I have to 1) hope my archers can damage the swordmasters enough before they can roflstomp my knights. 2) Hope my knights can roll well above average to break the spearmen and 3) Hope Im not annihilated by magic.

Against Skaven I can kill his big stuff and shoot his warmachines, but every game seems to be race as to whether armour outlast numbers in very grindy combats. It's down to luck more than anything else

Against TK I have to try and Feedback scroll kill his Hierophant and to zealously attempt to assasinate his characters. It's that or watch his Tomb Guard tarpit and eventually take apart the knights.

Against Daemons? Destroy the riff-raff and avoid plaguebearers, blood crushers and bloodletters like the plague...not too easy.

Thats what happens to me. I feel I have to cheese to win. I feel like commiting my knights to a charge against a decent unit is like throwing them away. A lance of say 12 charging KotR compared to 20 high elf spearmen can expect to do less damage to goblins, clanrats and the like and even against ironbreakers or other knights damage is only about even between the 2 units! On the charge?!

Knights cant fight combat units, tarpit units and certainly not deathstars. They can fight chariots, light cavalry and small infantry.

Ok sorry perhaps I made it sound like a rant. Brets take a bit of time working out a good build but I am having a LOT of luck with this build...

two hammer units. 9 Grail kick out a lot of attacks at high s and Ws.
second hamme is brutal. 9 KotR with Lvl2 (crown) three heros in front. Gen, BSB and hero. Each character has a 1+As and T4 The As can be rerolled and they have 5/6 Ward. That is very hard for most people to even dent let alone win combat against. Throw in buff spells from Lvl 2 Beast and better yet use Lvl 4 Heavens to win almost every combat. Harmonic convergence is your freind. USE IT!!! :D

This is backed up with two blocker knight units (errent and LotR x 6) Useful to boost impact against large units and hit annoying redirecters.

The Treb is one of the best warmachines in the game. Take two.

3x Peg are another useful tool. Don't get them killed to early.

I then use three small units of archers 2x10 and 1x18. Useful drops, handy for target reduction (remeber Harmonic convergence 12" rad. reroll all 1s to hit and wound.

Pick your targets, lower your lance and .......wait. You don't have to charge straight away. let them get close, soften them up with firepower and magic if you can.

Invigilius
01-11-2011, 11:22
you really should take the time to read the threads in the news & rumour section before posting stuff like this :shifty:

Stuff like this is a rumour, stuff like Harry, Hastings and the other well known rumour mongers post are just not rumours, are facts.

Maybe Warseer should split the news and rumours forum in two, one for the rumours and another for the upcoming and almost confirmed events.

SaintofVirtue
01-11-2011, 14:10
Just so you guys know... I'm a long time member of the Roundtable of Bretonnia as well as a long time Bretonnian player. In that forum we've gotten a good long laugh at everyone who thinks Brets aren't competitive. How they fight has changed but not in a cheesy beardy way. They are no longer an army that rushes across the table like a hammer. They have become much more of a scalpel, picking apart the foe at their leisure. I've written a lengthy tactica on the use of the army in the new rules.

Long story short, the better you are with tactics other than "CHARGE" the better your Brets will handle.

Codsticker
01-11-2011, 15:34
Stuff like this is a rumour....

Actually, this is not a rumour. What we have here is the result of a few people discussing what they believe to be the next release. None of the people involved in the original discussion have a source (ie. someone close to the studio or working in production) for this information, it is purely their own speculation.

Druchii Monkey
10-11-2011, 13:31
Actually, this is not a rumour. What we have here is the result of a few people discussing what they believe to be the next release. None of the people involved in the original discussion have a source (ie. someone close to the studio or working in production) for this information, it is purely their own speculation.

I have it from a semi-reliable source these guys are just around the corner.