PDA

View Full Version : Torn between armies again

Darkseer
16-04-2006, 12:46
As the date to sell off more of my Deathwing approaches, I'm becoming more and more undecided over my next army.

Do I take the Tau Empire. An effective army with a mix of units.
Do I take the Ork speed freaks. A fast and crazy army.
Do I take a Witch Hunter storm trooper army. Lots of tanks and elite troops.
Do I take Dark Angels. An expansion to my Deathwing (except they're marines *sigh* and everyone plays ******* marines).
Do I turn to the dark side and have Chaos Marines? Much evilness (except they are more marines).

CommunistBrother
16-04-2006, 12:51
If you're going dark side then drop those pansy marines and join the true hordes of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned.

It's a very fun list with so many opportunities to be different. Plus, it doesn't have to have marines!(don't mind your HQ)

But, from that list I'd go with Speed Freaks. It'll play almost the complete opposite of the Deathwing, no MEq in sight, just a tide of green.

chicodon
16-04-2006, 13:11
I have the same problem im undesided between:

Orks (lots of convertion possibillities)
Tau (i like them but theyre to good :()
Space marines (to common)So please help me too :rolleyes:

Venomizer
16-04-2006, 13:14
go speed freaks DS..., they are about as different from your Deathwing as you can get

to tell the truth I'm thinking about an Ork army myself since I want different from my 'Crons

Dakari-mane
16-04-2006, 13:56
Dark Angels.

As I've said before it will let you build the army up slowly unit by unit finding things that compliment the deathwing while still using your deathwing as a large part of the list.

If you make it down CLWC we can talk about it sometime.

DM :chrome:

Darkseer
16-04-2006, 13:59
I don't actually like marines. That's why I really want to stay away from them.

I only did the Deathwing army because I loved space hulk as a kid.

Da Reddaneks
16-04-2006, 14:46
"torn between two armies,
feeling like a fool,
lovin' both of them is breaking all the rules."

Hmmm, sounds like the beginnings of a good song there. Perhaps instead of being sung by Mary MacGreggor it could be sung by horus in the broadway musical version of "The Horus Herasy." I think it would work. (in the alternative: "Springtime for Horus and Chaos.")

(showing my age and a life outside of 40k with that joke)

WolfofMibu
16-04-2006, 14:53
I'd say go with Tau. Lots of cool new options. I'm building a new Tau army myself. I made the decision last year before I even knew there was a new codex coming, and it was a great decision. I did it for reasons similar to the ones plaguing you now. I wanted to pick a new army that was extremely different from the tactics of my current army. Tau is easily the opposite of World Eaters, so yeah. It's a fun contrast. They'll be quite different from Death Wing.

sigur
16-04-2006, 15:09
Go for Orks. Due to codex creep and GW's mighty bandwagon, everyone also plays "******* Tau". Lost and the Damned is also a very nice suggestion though. I think you like themed, nice-looking armies (and you are able to make armies look good, judging from the pictures of your DW army), so go for one of the armies I mentioned above because they give you lots of opportunities and fun.

Always remember: Real 40k takes place outside of power armour.*

*with the exception of SoB power armour.;)

(showing my age and a life outside of 40k with that joke)

uhm...thanks.:rolleyes:

Brimstone
16-04-2006, 15:41
Wait until next year before you start Dark Angels, you'll regret it otherwise.

But if you can't wait how about the Ravenwing?

WolfofMibu
16-04-2006, 15:46
More Dark Angels is just a bad idea. He's selling his Death Wing because he's sick of Marines and wants to try something new. His only real choices are the Orks, the Witch Hunters, and the Tau, but I'd go with the Tau, personally.

Darkseer
16-04-2006, 15:48
Actually, I'm selling half of my Deathwing.

The other half I'm keeping because it's a fun army.
But I am sick of marines.

Toppan
16-04-2006, 15:57
why not necrons or eldar? or heck...even tyranids. why not IG?

Darkseer
16-04-2006, 16:03
Played necrons before and while they are utterly ruthless, they became boring to play.

Tyranids have no appeal for me. I prefer fighting against them.

The Guard will always have a place in my heart, but they're hardly the most competitive list out there.

As for Eldar...
I like Eldar, but until the new codex is out, I think they're a little too unbalanced right now. I could make an army that dies horribly, or make an army that starcannons and bright lances everything to death.
I used to play Harlequins. They were pretty, but they died...a lot.

darknar
16-04-2006, 16:16
the lost and the dammed list is a great list, you dont have to keep to the bog standard tanks and you can create your own, as long as your apponant knows what your tanks are. also they are a good list because its chaos and you can if you want just use any bog standard human with binics for your CSMN commander

he doesnt need to be a marne really

Darkseer
16-04-2006, 16:19
I'd like a lost and the damned list, however, I am concerned about how long GW will keep the list legal.
I also don't think that they are one of the more competitive armies in the game.

For kicks I'd make an all-zombie army (with chaos spawn as big zombies) led by Karloth Valois from Necromunda. However, this is where coolness clashes with effectiveness.
While the army would be a great laugh, it'd be utterly useless in the game.

stormtrooper154
16-04-2006, 16:33
Go for Speed freaks - a sea of green. I too will have this dilemna when tale of gamers returns.

Darkseer
16-04-2006, 16:36
Do you know when it will return?

Karloth Valois
16-04-2006, 16:38
WWWAAAAAAAGGGGHHH! is all i've got to say on this matter. :)

stormtrooper154
16-04-2006, 16:41
Do you know when it will return?

I think Lav said september time.

CommunistBrother
16-04-2006, 16:51
I'd like a lost and the damned list, however, I am concerned about how long GW will keep the list legal.
I also don't think that they are one of the more competitive armies in the game.

For kicks I'd make an all-zombie army (with chaos spawn as big zombies) led by Karloth Valois from Necromunda. However, this is where coolness clashes with effectiveness.
While the army would be a great laugh, it'd be utterly useless in the game.As far as anyone knows there is no plan to scrap the Lost and the Damned list, infact I think there was a discussion on this earlier today or yesterday.

As for competative, the list has many competative options from both the Imperial Guard and Chaos Codexes. It can field hordes of cheap troops backed up by some very fearsome elite units, and still lend itself to load sof character.

However, if you'd still rather stay away from the damned, then go Orks. They're always fun.

hardcastle
16-04-2006, 16:52
go orks!! but dont plan on winning to many games! They are a "harder" army to use compared to the ones you listed.

Xeres
16-04-2006, 17:23
OOC: Darkseer, i would go with Imperial guard, its a great army and also you will not be such a heretic (only the dark angels will be hunting you). Plus you can get a titan or a few super heavy tanks for a nice centre piece to the army.

After i finish off my Black Scorpions force, ill be starting Imperial guard (Cadians with the forgeworld respirator heads).

Stormwarningz
17-04-2006, 18:53
You know you want tau.
You love the cheese playablilitie.

Or witch hunters for some actual fun gaming.