PDA

View Full Version : Stegadon tactics

Tyranno1
31-10-2011, 22:57
As the thread title sudgested, this thread is about stegadons. Are they still used? If so then how? where? why? and what species? And are Mazdamundai and Tenehiuin used?

Stephanavich
31-10-2011, 23:26
I never use a "normal" Stegadon, only ever Ancient. Normally Skink Chief, War Spear on an Ancient. Every so often I'll use Skink Priest w. Engine, but that's only for magic heavy lists. One LM player near me uses Tehenhuain (sp?) on EoTG because he has the Lore Of Beasts and is quite successful, but against most armies it gets shot down quickly as it's a huge points sink - 500pts+ on a chariot base. I'd prefer two units of 24 Saurus w. FC.

War Spear Ancient is okay at best to be honest:
-You HAVE to charge, otherwise it's a waste of points
-It's expensive and is unlikely to make it's points back
-It draws attention away from the Slann/TG deathstar when it comes to shooting though
-If it doesn't, your Slann/TG deathstar is safe, which i suppose is an advantage, albeit an expensive one.
-4D6 poison shots is nothing to be sneezed at
-You only really have one chance, because the Chief will get challenged and killed. Easily.

In my opinion, the Heroes in the LM army suck majorly. One caster, with one lore. One "fighty" character that can't fight, and the Scar Vets are okay, especially because Oldbloods are rarely playable. The special characters in the LM army are next to never used. Only in fluffy armies, or by people who well versed in the LM army and Warhammer in general. Chakax used to be usable, until the FAQ means he strikes after HE and other ASF character (pretty much defeating his purpose).

eron12
01-11-2011, 05:51
I've used normal steggies to support blocks of saurus on the chage. Double teaming like that tends to minimize attacks back as well as compensting for the saurus' subpar WS.

thesheriff
01-11-2011, 07:32
My Skink army @ 2k features 2 Regular Stegs and an Ancient. It works well, nut they rely on having the charge. On the charge, they are deadly, averaging 8 Auto hits at S5/6 (depending on steg type). But, can be easily overwheed when charged.

Characters; Tenehauin is never used really. Although Wyssans on his stegadon in the turn he charged would be very cool. I suppose with Lizardmen your pretty much always taking a Slaan. Never tried Mazdamundi, but want to make the conversion. Engines are very expensive IMO, and mine has never made anywhere near it's PTA back against anything but Wood elves. However, the Skink Cjoef on Sncient w. Steg warspear is something I do regularly use. 2D6 Impact, D6 Thunder, 3 Attacks and the Chief I have seen when buffed by Harmonic Convergance go through units.

Overall, when on the charge or supporting bloocks/each other, there amazing. And they look cool.

thesheriff

diggerydoom
01-11-2011, 11:29
I have always liked the idea of he warspear steg, however it has never really earned its points back. I have started taking a 'cheap' basic steg to act as a flanker- although it has low leadership the stubborn allows it to look after itself and it can take most flanker opposition. Out there it also threatens flanks etc.

thesheriff
02-11-2011, 09:00
I have always liked the idea of he warspear steg, however it has never really earned its points back. I have started taking a 'cheap' basic steg to act as a flanker- although it has low leadership the stubborn allows it to look after itself and it can take most flanker opposition. Out there it also threatens flanks etc.

If it's a flanker, it should be near a Slaan or Old Blood anyway (more likely a Slaan). So, it's LD becomes alot better.

Also, Cold Blooded LD6 is statistically better than LD7.