PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Grav Guard Stuff

Lady's Champion
03-06-2005, 15:44
Probably asked before but...

why were anti-grav vehicles banned in the Imperium after the Horus Heresy?

Just for fun?

Typheron
03-06-2005, 15:48
they werent banned, the forgeworlds that made them were either distroyed or went to chaos thus leaving a bit of a lack of people who knew how to produce the grav plates required.

Just like the land raider they were restricted to only those of the most importance.

Imsure in some of the very old fluff the only anti-grav plates that were left were in a storehouse on terra and the capacity to make any more was entirely lost. now i think its just limted to a few forge worlds. In some of the books planets near the forgeworlds have a lot of anti grav tech compared to places further away.

venusianfurs
03-06-2005, 15:55
So they might still have PDF or local IG regiments on Jet-Bikes, in theory? Along with IG Landspeeders?

Typheron
03-06-2005, 16:05
If they were in direct vicinity to the Forge world and were perhaps charged with protecting it they may be equiped with AG tech, although the stories ive seen normally talk about Ag limos and stuff like that for the high ranking induviduals on the planet. but theoretically yes. Someone did a IG army based entirely of land speeders with this one Uber speeder at its senter which was he equivilant of a Basalisk.

Sojourner
03-06-2005, 16:19
You would have to pull a lot of favours with the Admech, or show that you had a very specific need, to ever get antigrav tech off them. Apart from anything else they wouldn't want you to have it because any planet capable of maintaining it would also be capable of studying it and understanding how it worked...

Lady's Champion
03-06-2005, 16:53
KK, although it does so in the fron of Codex: IG that it was actually banned (the context is a description of a pre-heresy army with anti-grav bikes) but meh I'm not fussy

thanks

Puffin Magician
03-06-2005, 16:56
After the Horus Heresy there were likely large-scale restructuring of who gets what, just like how all Land Raiders were limited to Astartes armies. Anti-Grav technology was likely limited and so was similarly restricted to a select few organizations.

A specific Forgeworld likely holds the pinnacle of remaining AG technology, similar to how Ryza has the best Plasma technology. It's not that the IG aren't allowed, it's that it's so rare that only elite units like Space Marines have the greatest access to it. I think a Skitarii Tech Guard regiment would get access to ancient technologies like jetbikes and larger skimmers before any IG armies did.

Edit:
...the units of the formation exhibit a frankly puzzling assortment of weapons and troops, including mutants and anti-grav vehicles. All such units were outlawed after the Horus Heresy...
This bit on p4 of Codex: Imperial Guard is some of that new-age fluff rubbish as Rogue Trader had models for IG Jetbikes, and Epic 40,000 allowed IG armies to contain units of beastmen [who are definately mutantish in nature].

Sai-Lauren
03-06-2005, 17:03
Someone did a IG army based entirely of land speeders with this one Uber speeder at its senter which was he equivilant of a Basalisk.

Including rough riders on power boards IIRC.

Dan Abnett's the worst on grav-vehicles, the Eisenhorn trilogy's full of them (especially Xenos).

The only way I can see around it is that most of the grav-units that do exist are expensive and tempremental, needing a lot of maintenance, making them unsuitable for military use. Most of the rest are produced by marine chapters for their Land Speeders, who have managed to keep the knowledge of how to produce these units, but can only make limited numbers (same as Terminator armour and everything else).

I guess the real reason the imperium lost most of it's grav vehicles is to differentiate them from the eldar.

Bmaxwell
03-06-2005, 17:43
that would be cool to do a IG army that the back ground was humans that came form the halo world cause aren't that supossed to be exteremly adavanced?

but have it be a eldar army rules wise but human models mmm this makes me want to do that

Sojourner
03-06-2005, 18:10
Now in english, please?

salty
03-06-2005, 18:13
The IG army of which you all speak was the 1st Catachan Airborne, and yes the Rough Riders were mounted on plasticard hoverboards. It won Best Army at a Grand Tournement IIRC, and the various speeders represented Chimeras, Land Raiders, Griffons and a Basilisk. Very, very cool.

Salty :)

Tastyfish
03-06-2005, 19:35
No, the Halo worlds are not advanced, but on the whole worse of than the Imperium as they lack the AdMech collecting data and would have been too young at the time of founding to have alarge enough support base for their STC systems to have given them advanced tech, if they even had them still by then.
Even when the technology was being invented the research insitutes would have been in nearer Terra and the core of the civilisation. Halo words are going to be even less populated than the eastern fringe adn without the benefit of anyone nearby to talk to during the dark age

That's without any aliens purposefully keeping them down because they know how dangerous humans can be if they get off planet.

Bmaxwell
03-06-2005, 20:45
okay i was just going by what i heard thanks for clearing it up