PDA

View Full Version : [WoC] 650 pts for campaign

Khal
01-11-2011, 16:40
Hi there!

As the title says, I'm having a warhammer campaign soon. The thing is we start with miniarmies of 650 pts. We have to respect the percentages restrictions so... this leaves me with a maximum 162 pts character and a minimun of 162pts of core units

I've been thinking a lot before posting this. I'll face Lizardmen, Ogre Kingdoms, Empire and Skaven. Maybe another army, but this ones are for sure. We can't change our lists except in some special events, but that's another story.

In such a small point game, missile troops are awesome, in my point of view. I can field two units of 25 marauders, a sorcerer and some hounds.. or a unit of chaos warrior and a sorcerer in disk. That's rubbish in my opinion

So...what about a fast army? Something like marauder horsemen and chaos knights. But how many? I'm one of those who think marauder horsemen suck in 8th edition...

So, what about this lists?

LIST A

Chaos sorcerer, lvl2, Tzeentch, barded steed - 156

Basic build, two tzeentch spells at +3. Easy to cast spells... well, that's it.

10 marauder horsemen, flails - 150

5 marauder horsemen, flails - 75

Core. Fast and hitty, but squishy as hell. Maybe upgrade the 10 strong one to Khorne so they dish 15 WS4 S5 attacks... and some horses.

6 Chaos knights, either mark of khorne or nurgle - 270

The main unit. Almost half my points... but the only game winner I can see. Mark of khorne for awesome damage output, mark of Nurgle for making almos all my opponents hit me on 5+ (ogres, empire, lizardmen mostly )

I spect lots of skinks from LM, and some crossbowmen from empire. I hope I don't face many Ironguts...

Total: 651 (maybe one point above is not too much )

LIST 2

Exalted Champion, slaanesh, slaanesh steed, halberd - 144

The general. Fast, hitty for the points, not very resilient though. I rely on his WS7, so he'll be hit on 5+ from most of the enemy units... and he can dish out 4 WS7 S6 attacks at I7... The main problem is the lack of magic defense. I really don't know if i'll face any mage...

10 marauder horsemen, flails, nurgle - 180

The core. The exalted joins this unit, 6 wide. They lurk into a flank and threat a unit in conjunction with the...

6 chaos knigths either mark of nurgle or khorne. Same as LIST 1

This leaves me 56 pts to play with... maybe downgrade the knigths to simply 5 without mark and use the points to buy a chariot?

As you can see... I'm pretty much lost. That's why I would thank any advice you can give me!

Forgive me if I've made any mistake writing or in expressions... English is not my mother language

Thanks for reading this!

EDIT:

Tried the LIST A. Faced some Empire. He had:

Fire sorcerer, lvl 2

30 halberdiers, 5x6

10 crossbowmen

18 greatswords

And two mortars.

The game was over on turn 2. I charged their crossbowmen with the remaining 5 khorne marauder horsemen (some died from fire ) and killed them. My knights reached their greatswords and killed them too... so he conceded here. All I had to do was charge the wizard unit and kill'em'all :)

The list worked fine. Just... those marauder horsemen die in droves ...

Khal
02-11-2011, 19:38
No advice? Really? Maybe too much information in one post...

I'll let it die if no one says nothing

Thanks anyway!

TheOneHawk
02-11-2011, 19:43
Marauder horse will die in droves, yes, but Knights will eat 650 point lists for breakfast.

Khal
02-11-2011, 19:51
That's what really happened in that practice game. They seem unstoppable.I'll try them anyway.

Any other Core suggestion? Or an alternate equipment for horsemen. I 've been thinking about LA+Shields, though they loose their FastCav rule..

Thanks!

grumbaki
02-11-2011, 20:01
40x Marauders with MoK and greatweapons only runs 250 points.

So:

Exalted: Halberd, MoK (130?)
39x Marauders: GW, MoK, FC (245)
40x Marauders: GW, MoK, FC (250)
5x Hounds (30)

So you get two very nasty close combat blocks, a hero who is tough enough for this point level, and a cheap unit of harassers who can run at enemy artillery. Not as tough as your current list, but hey, probably more fun for the enemy to face.

TheOneHawk
02-11-2011, 22:06
Or mix them. 40 marauders, and a unit of knights. Never put LA and shields on your marauder horsemen. Fast cav is so amazing.

Khal
02-11-2011, 22:34
I had in mind those marauder units. At larger games I field two of them. I'll try that list.

Thanks for your advices!

RandomSpecific
03-11-2011, 00:20
iv taken to small games, the challenge of creating good small lists makes a nice change to just spamming huge units.

how bout this.

Exalted
MoT
book of secrets
Halberd
Charmed shield

29 marauders
musc+stan
MoK
Great Weapons

5 Marauder horsemen
mark of slanesh
flails

5 knights
mark of nurgle

if the 1 point is a problem you can lose the shield on the exalted.

this gives you a combat hero, who at this level should wreck face as well as a caster to give you some reach out and touch someone power. a decent block to back him up as well as 2 more mobile elements, retaining the slightly weaker but still potent knights.

Khal
03-11-2011, 08:15
I like it a lot! It's a nice mix. The knights of nurgle are still a potent unit. I'm not totally sold on the Exalted, because is I face two units of magic missiles thrown at any of my units, coupled with shooting I can see the end of the game soon.

What about a small unit of chaos warriors for core? Maybe... nurgle, 12 in a 6x2 formation with halberds? I think for the points I can fit only 10... what do you think?

sithdevil
03-11-2011, 08:39
I like it a lot! It's a nice mix. The knights of nurgle are still a potent unit. I'm not totally sold on the Exalted, because is I face two units of magic missiles thrown at any of my units, coupled with shooting I can see the end of the game soon.

What about a small unit of chaos warriors for core? Maybe... nurgle, 12 in a 6x2 formation with halberds? I think for the points I can fit only 10... what do you think?

I usually run 12 Chaos Warriors in 6 x 2 formation with MoK and Halberds. They are freaking deadly with 24+ S5 attacks, only downside Ive found is they can be susceptible to some magic and shooting attacks, depends who you are up against. I usually protect them with warhounds and then usually by turn 2-3 they are smashing into CC and ripping the enemy apart.