PDA

View Full Version : removing paint from plastic models!

twistedmarine
02-11-2011, 00:57
So, I bought that simple green clean or whatever it is. I've heard it works removing paint from plastic models. I have a few questions, hopefully someone can help me. One, how long does it take for this stuff to work? Two, should I dilute the cleaner with water like it says on the bottle? And I thinks that's it, thanks in advance.

No-One
02-11-2011, 01:04
i've never diluted it before, and its never done any damage

as for times, let your models sit in there overnight, that usually gets the job done perfectly, i cant recommend Simple Green enough

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-11-2011, 01:09
It's great stuff, as No-One says no dilution is needed and overnight is usually about right. There are many accounts of people forgetting and leaving models in it for months, and the miniatures still come out fine (Just very devoid of paint ;)).

If you have some particularly stubborn or thick paint then brake fluid can do the trick, you just can't leave the models in it for ages as it is reasonably vicious.

chamelion 6
02-11-2011, 01:10
i've never diluted it before, and its never done any damage

as for times, let your models sit in there overnight, that usually gets the job done perfectly, i cant recommend Simple Green enough

This...

If it doesn't work after 24 hours I have some other suggestions...

No-One
02-11-2011, 01:12
There are many accounts of people forgetting and leaving models in it for months, and the miniatures still come out fine (Just very devoid of paint ;)).

I've fallen for this... i left some models sitting for about 4 months, the Simple Green dried up and became slightly chunky, but a quick wash and the models were completely cleaned off and they were perfectly fine

twistedmarine
02-11-2011, 01:14
Okay, sweet. Thanks everybody.

Ulrig
02-11-2011, 01:16
Most paint will come off in a few days. It depends on the primer used, type of paint used and how much.

I have left models in full strength simple green for close to a year with no harm done.

Metal models will come clean the next day easily.

Nubl0
02-11-2011, 01:22
Sounds pretty cool, I might have to use it for some of my old nids. Anyone here know a good place to get it in the UK?

Scorpion0x17
02-11-2011, 01:39
You might want to also read the following:

http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/removingpaint1.htm
http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/removingpaint2.htm
http://www.paintingclinic.com/clinic/guestarticles/removingpaint3.htm

Socaddict
02-11-2011, 09:19
In the uk, look for fairy power spray. Can be found in the cleaning products section of most supermarkets.

tu33y
02-11-2011, 09:25
dettol, just drop it in. the paint will slough off like snakeskin in 12 hours.

i think its the pine oil, personally. i think it permeates the paint, then destroys the cohesion with the plastic. but honestly mate, dettol is the bomb.

darkhelmet
02-11-2011, 09:31
Agree with the recommendations for dettol in the UK.

I just stripped all my old Blood Bowls models to repaint. Just dropped them in a jam jar full of dettol and left for a few days. ost of the paint just peeled off, but some more stubborn stuff was easily removed by scrubbing with an old toothbrush.

it works on metal and plastic minatures. Not tried it on resin/finecast yet.

Rick Blaine
02-11-2011, 10:46
I love fairy power spray, it only needs a few hours to do its stuff. Fat enough that I can soak a model in the morning and start re-painting it after lunch.

Tayrod
02-11-2011, 11:16
Anyone know any checmicals/solvents which can be bought in Norway and will achieve the same trick? I tried using Grønn Såpe (litteraly green-soap) as a substitute for simple green, but after about 6 weeks soaked in it, my models were still covered in paint.

Oh, and no battery acid please. I live in a student dorm, so it needs to be something I can keep in my bedroom without fearing for my life.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
02-11-2011, 12:53
Anyone know any checmicals/solvents which can be bought in Norway and will achieve the same trick? I tried using Grønn Såpe (litteraly green-soap) as a substitute for simple green, but after about 6 weeks soaked in it, my models were still covered in paint.

Oh, and no battery acid please. I live in a student dorm, so it needs to be something I can keep in my bedroom without fearing for my life.

Can you get hold of some Brake Fluid? As I said above it does the trick for me, and isn't particularly hazardous as long as you don't go spilling it everywhere.

musical
02-11-2011, 14:40
I know there are a lot of 'how to' guides around but can someone explain (or direct me to a good website) the chemistry of what is going on just for interest.

Charax
02-11-2011, 14:53
I ordered some simple green (they have a UK store now) a couple of months ago to clear off some absolutely caked-on paint on some second hand minis. worked fine but a couple of them came out with some grey staining on the metal - not a huge issue because it was still bare metal, but not something I'd heard about before.

a month and a half long soak cleared up everything nicely (I tend to go for multiple Simple Green soaks, I give the models a scrub after 24 hours, then after a couple of days and if anything's left I just leave it in until I can be bothered to strip it).

No idea what's going on chemically, but the process leaves the metal and plastic perfectly intact, the paint tends to become a bit gooey (and after a month of stripping Ultramarines mine has become Simple Blue)

snake-eyez
02-11-2011, 14:58
I've fallen for this... i left some models sitting for about 4 months, the Simple Green dried up and became slightly chunky, but a quick wash and the models were completely cleaned off and they were perfectly fine

If you keep the simple green in an old ice cream tub with the lid on, it wont dry up. I've had models sitting in their for months (I don't forget, I'm just lacking motivation), and with the lid on, its still all there, and the models are fine too.

Gingerwerewolf
02-11-2011, 15:29

i think its the pine oil, personally. i think it permeates the paint, then destroys the cohesion with the plastic. but honestly mate, dettol is the bomb.

What he said. Dettol works amazingly. Just dont wash it off in the sink, as the gunk that comes off can stick to it!

MarcoSkoll
02-11-2011, 16:41
One warning about Dettol - it trashes epoxy putties if they're left in it too long, so don't use it like this if your model has any GS work you want to keep.

So far, unfortunately, I haven't found any stuff that's completely GS friendly, but if only left for 15-30 minutes, a Power Spray/Dettol blend (particularly if it's left in a heating cupboard) can strip most of the paint without too much damage.

semper_fi
02-11-2011, 17:54
nailpolish remover (the one without acetone) diluted with a drop of water works great for me. stripping paint in less then 2 minutes clean with a hard toothbrush. rinse and repeat till the model is as good as new then rinse with luke warm water.

disclaimer: be sure to use the nailpolish remover WITHOUT ACETONE. with acetone will melt your models. if in doubt test it on a bit of sprue. if it melts you stole the wrong one from your mother/sister/wife/aunt or granny

AlphariusOmegon20
02-11-2011, 18:32
I'm going to have to try the Easy-Off method.

2 hours after application, most of the paint is gone? Sign me up.

SunTzu
02-11-2011, 18:37
I tried Simple Green, left the models in there for over a week and it did absolutely nothing. None of the paint came off - all GW paint over a GW undercoat.

I'm not completely sure what I'm doing different as everyone else raves about the stuff, but IME it does nothing.

Dettol is next on my list of things to try.

Lathrael
02-11-2011, 18:50
Hydrolic oil, 3 dot. Obtainable from any gas station. Put it into a can with models you want to strip, it'll clean everything (including superglue) in 2 days. It never did any damage to my moodels. But be sure on it's dot 3, if not you may have some bad surprises.

t-tauri
02-11-2011, 19:08
Thread closed. Please see the thread (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4952) in the appropriate M,P&T forum.