Mortar
= 75pts

Mortar
= 75pts

RARE

Hellblaster
= 110pts

TOTAL POINTS = 2000pts

Pretty basic infantry army here. I have 3 fairly solid units of infantry with some support shooting/war machines.

Time of Madness

tmarichards
02-11-2011, 10:40
I don't think the General adds much to the list- if you want the Speculum another character could carry it, and if you give your BSB the Standard of Discipline and give them a bunker of Swordsmen then you get the same leadership.

Algovil
02-11-2011, 11:30
Standard of discipline on Greatswords for rerollable ld10? Though ld9 is enough really.

Otherwise combine crossbowmen into one unit and give them flaming banner, to stop regen monsters, then blast with warmachines.

How do you find your WPs work, do they survive long enough to give hatred, could be a problem vs elites with good initiative.

I really like the idea of a big block of greatswords with good leadership to anchor the lines.

If you have the model and want a strong army another cannon is probably better than a helblaster!

@tmarichards: does the bunker way work well with the Empire? you really need to protect that unit then, and it is another unit you have to pay for, just for protection. GotE is a cheap way to get high leadership, and with that equipment he is survivable enough to fight in the front lines, he will not kill much, but survive. In a block of stubborn greatswords you have a strong center to hold your lines. Maybe an Arch lector is stronger overall, but one less ld- more expensive, and with two Warrior priest for extra dice, I believe this could be quite good build. VHS helps the general to survive vs nasty characters, more of a defensive tool really.

Morax
02-11-2011, 16:33
Fairly basic empire infantry army here.

CHARACTERS

General of the Empire (General)
- Great Weapon
- Full Plate
- Holy Relic
- Van Horstman's Speculum
= 173pts

Generals are kinda funky as they often don't fit a role. Not enough attacks to be killy, not enough toughness to be hyper surviveable, not enough buffs to be a buff character. The best use I can find of him is ldr10 and an ability to kill off some troops. My build for general is: Fullplate, Enchanted shield, Dawnstone, Sword of Strife, Potion of Strength. Gets him a 2+ rerollable and 5 attacks with one turn per game he can be strength 7. A little more expensive then yours but he can add a bunch of extra attacks at a reasonable initiative.

Wizard Lord
- Level 4
- Seal of Destruction
= 255pts

Just the way I field him. You do however need to assign him a lore. Life, Light, and Shadow are the most popular choices but I would advise you not to overlook death. It works great for killing characters which the empire can struggle with.

Captain (BSB)
- Armour of Meteoric Iron
- Sword of Might
- Iconcurse Icon
= 120pts

Ironcurse Icon is a bit of a waste as your cannons can remove just about any warmachines in the first 2 turns or so. The sword of might isn't bad but str5 isn't going to do much more then str4. Elite targets will still get most of their save andstrike back hard, better to spend the points on something else.

Warrior Priest
- Heavy Armour/Shield
= 96pts

Warrior Priest
- Heavy Armour/Shield
= 96pts

Great additions, best to keep them cheap. A dragon helm on one however wouldn't go amiss if you have 10 points spare.

CORE

35 Halberdiers (6X5 formation)
- ***Priest Here***
- Full Command
= 195pts

35 Halberdiers (6X5 formation)
- ***Priest Here***
- Full Command
= 195pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Musician
= 85pts

10 Crossbowmen
- Musician
= 85pts

Solid core but I would suggest dropping the unit champions from the halberdiers and take banners in the crossbowmen instead. the extra +2 to your fortitude in blood and glory is nice.

SPECIAL

28 Greatswords (6X5 formation)
***General and BSB Here***
- Full Command
- Standard of Arcane Warding
= 340pts

Lots of people swear by them, I personally think they cost too many points per model. If you do like them then they need a warrior priest to get hatred as they will be the hardest hitting unit in your list. For your banner MR isn't worth much in this eddition sadly as most of the spells you need to worry about don't allow saves. I'd drop the arcane warding.

Cannon
= 100pts

Mortar
= 75pts

Mortar
= 75pts

RARE

Hellblaster
= 110pts

Ahh the controversial helblaster. I find it next to worthless others rave about it. Give it a few trys but I would caution you not to be too atatched to it as it will most likely underpreform. I would suggest you swap it out for a second cannon to handle enemy warmachines and monsters as the rest of the list can struggle against them.

TOTAL POINTS = 2000pts

Pretty basic infantry army here. I have 3 fairly solid units of infantry with some support shooting/war machines.

Time of Madness

All in all a solid infantry list as you said, pretty basic. For the hierloom banner I would suggest either the standard of discipline, the banner of eternal flame, or the razor standard. Each will prove more useful then the standard of arcane warding. Discipline for a leadership 10 general, eternal flame on the crossbows to take regen off for your cannon, or the razor standard to make a unit of halberdiers more threatening.

As to bunkers. A bunker to be effective needs to be large enough to have wounds to soak damage but small enough to hide and fast enough to avoid combat. The empire have amazing units to provide this. I prefer a detatchment of 8 swordsmen in a 3x3 formation. Small enough to hide between units and quick enough to stay out of combat. It is even cheap enough that if it dies it is no great loss.

Also Archlectors are leadership 9, not 8. Yet another reason most lists bring one as thier general. I'm in the archlector camp but generals of the empire can be useful aswell.

Time of Madness
02-11-2011, 19:21
Thanks for the comments folks.

I was under the impression you were only allowed 1 magic banner in the empire army.

Time of Madness

Algovil
02-11-2011, 20:28
With a General your one unit of statetroops can have a banner. Greatswords are included in statetroops, while knights for example can have a banner even without a General, so you have to choose between those suggested.