PDA

View Full Version : how do u know your movment lenght?

Warlord Kyle
16-04-2006, 15:32
Sorry for asking and sounding like a noob. I play tyranids and i understand the different assult ranges and fleet of claw, but how do u determine your basic movement range. I know the average is 6 inches but is there any exceptions for termagaunts, ravaegers, genestealers, warriors or ripper swarms?
warlord kyle

neXus6
16-04-2006, 15:35
All models move 6", unless there is some pieces of wargear, like a bike, for example, which can increase this move. For tyranids I think the only things that can really affect "basic" movement are wings and the "Beasts" special rule which is in the rule book.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-04-2006, 16:06
Unless winged, you move 6". Fleet is done in the shooting phase, instead of shooting.

neXus6
16-04-2006, 16:20
Ah, so I was right with my gut instinct that Beasts is 6" move, fleet and 12" charge rather than a change to the basic move. :rolleyes:
I really do have very little faith my rules knowledge.

But yeah basicly if a unit doesn't have a special rule somewhere that grants it a farther basic move it just moves 6".

Chaos and Evil
16-04-2006, 16:21
It's 40k, everything moves 6" unless it flies, in which case it moves 12".

FoolsJourney
16-04-2006, 16:47
Although as my Nids have no shooting, I find it easier to roll for fleet in the movement phase so I only have to move 90 hormies and 20 genestealers the once (with opponents' permission of course).

Mad Doc Grotsnik
16-04-2006, 16:53
To be honest, I prefer my opponents to stick to rolling it in the shooting phase. An extra move, and an extended move have different tactical opportunities. For example, if I move my Hormies up, roll for Fleet, and don't go as far as I hoped, I can divert another Brood to compensate. But if I have already moved the other Broods, relying on good luck, then the Hormies will find themselves isolated. In theory. Not a big thing, but I feel it can make an unfair difference!

FoolsJourney
16-04-2006, 17:15
An extra move, and an extended move have different tactical opportunities.
Tactical? I don't do tactical with my 'nids. Everything just charges your line as fast as possible in a straight line :D

I do see your argument though, hence 'with opponents' permission'. Most of my opponents prefer it though, as it means they can get to shooting me as quickly as possible.

Da Reddaneks
16-04-2006, 18:19
i am sure that i didnt understand your question when your asking what the movement is of termagants, raveners and genestealers. That is just so laid out in the Nid codex that i am sure you meant something else.

Are you asking what is the average movement for things that get a fleet of foot roll? if that is your question the average roll on 1d6 is 3.5. Thus an average movement of a genestealer for instance would be 9.5 inches.

Gupp
16-04-2006, 18:29
I was under the impression that you can't really get an "average roll" on 1d6. Everything has an equal chance of occuring.

Da Reddaneks
16-04-2006, 18:53
Every number does have pretty much a .17 chance of comming up. But an average is different. (1+2+3+4+5+6) / 6 = 3.5. there's no great magic to it. just statistics 101 stuff. So when your trying to figure out if your genestealer is going ot be able to move, fleet and charge into combat and your 15.5" away you can pretty much count on having a 50/50 chance of making it. If your 18" away you would have approx a .17 chance of making it.

Chem-Dog
16-04-2006, 19:54
To make it even more difficult there are three types of average Mean, Median and Mode. :p

But most things can be worked on the basis of what you actually need to roll, if you are a marine shooting your average hitting is about 66%, if you are an Imperial Guardsman shooting, your hitting score is about 50%.

For fleet, it's reasonable to assume you'll get a 3" move, on a D6 and there is a 66.6r% chance of you rolling a 3 or more, good odds.

Warlord Kyle
17-04-2006, 00:30
i just meant about normal movent phase, nothing about fleet of claw or assult. Im just wondering if different units had different movement ranges besides 6 inches.

biggreengribbly
17-04-2006, 00:58
As has been said, unless it flies or has wheels, or some other stated special rule It's 6 Inches!

For everything.

In all arrmies!

Vanger
17-04-2006, 08:04
i just meant about normal movent phase, nothing about fleet of claw or assult. Im just wondering if different units had different movement ranges besides 6 inches.

Read the Rulebook, and look for the entries Unit type, and Infantry :) Should help clear the gaps :)
After all, gaunts, carnifexes, stealers, etc. are all infatry.