PDA

View Full Version : Doubles games. Your thoughts

Nickthebear
03-11-2011, 08:52
Hey. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on doubles games.
For example, is it best to use two different armies to try and iron out the weaknesses in each others armies or go with the same army and pretty much use it like one big normal army?

CowboyBadger
03-11-2011, 10:06
I love the idea of a big single army but going up against a good double team where the weaknesses (WOC shooting) are eliminated could be painful. What do people consider are truly balanced armies with impact in all phases that would be hard to improve on by adding a different partner?

Nickthebear
03-11-2011, 12:04
IMO I think that any of the books that have been brought out this edition shouldnt need a back up army to help out. Im going to warhammer doubles this month and will be going all green skinz with my team mate. we have magic, shooting (artillery and bows), lots of big and little unz, aswell as random stuff for fun (manglers). I dont think any army would play well with green skinz myself

Malorian
03-11-2011, 15:08
Doubles games are great. You just need to work out how magic will be handled before the game starts.

It might seem easy but you run into situations such as a doubles team of dwarfs and lizardmen: one side giving mountains of dispel dice and the other making the best use out of the power dice.

Okuto
03-11-2011, 18:28
or you might run into your horde army teaming up with another horde army.....

I recently had my greenskin horde fight alongside a skaven army and while it was a great combo we had to fight each other for space.....

calnen
03-11-2011, 18:47
I love doubles games :)
A tourny last weekend (Mansfield Maul, UK) had a doubles game as one of the rounds - 6k per side overall, it was epic.
As above, you need to decide on magic rules, inspiring presence etc before the game starts, but it can be great fun to play with a partner.

Frankly
03-11-2011, 19:33
Love doubles games, love them!

Nickthebear
04-11-2011, 08:57
Yeah we have a level 4 for dispelling and a scroll just incase. And due to going both with green skinz characters and leadership shouldnt be a problem...as far as green skinz go anyways. animosity is were i fall down. Any thoughts on wether to have two gobbo main units next to each other for bsb or seperate incase of animosity fail?

Mister Blak
05-11-2011, 12:22
The following partnerships tend to work:

WoC to provide elite smashing power with skaven who bring hordeing (is that a word?) and firepower.

OK to provide sheer resolute strength and elves (any kind, ogres are non-aligned) to provide speed and shooting. extremely weak to enemy hordes.

Lizzies for sheer magical power and smashing strength and dwarfs for sheer antimagical power and ranged attacks. vulnerable to enemy hordes and fast foes.

basically, all armies have aspects from the following list:

Shooting ( dwarfs, skaven, arguably orcs and OK)
combat ( lizzies, orcs, all chaos, OK, TK, VC, brets, occasionally dwarfs)
elite ( lizzies, OK, WoC, DoC, occasionally O&G, all elves)
horde ( rats, TK, VC, BoC, occasionally O&G)
fast ( all elves, brets)
slow (lizzies, OK, VC, TK)
tough ( lizzies, OK, WoC, O&G)
flimsy ( all elves, Slaanesh DoC)
smashy ( very powerful initial blow like lizzies, OK, WoC, DoC, O&G and TK chariot lists.)
sloggy ( basically hordes of grinding like skaven, VC and TK).

i may have forgotten some armies in some categories. empire can arguably fit anywhere in here.

the best doubles armies pair off against each others weakesses, or just go for the extreme of one aspect. of course the best part of doubles games is sharing your victory and trying out new stuff, but i digress.