PDA

View Full Version : Space Marine Drop Pods

heid
16-04-2006, 17:28
I stumbled across this on eBay - wondered if anyone knew any more about the history of these models? Are these, rather than the Forgeworld versions, what the much rumoured plastic drop pods will look like?

PS - I've got no connection whatsoever with the seller of the item on eBay, in case anyone thinks this is a sales pitch.

HPD_Andy
16-04-2006, 17:58
No idea what that is. It looks nothing like any drop pod variant I've ever seen from armorcast or forgeworld. I would bid with caution.

stahly
16-04-2006, 18:03
The nozzels are the backs of landspeeders with a flamer tank from the old IG tank acessoirs sprue.
To me it looks like someone built a drop pod from his bitz box, created molds and sells them now as limited run models. Fakes.

Grimtuff
16-04-2006, 18:05
Hahaha!!!!

Holy Resin casting Batman!!

That's the back ends of 3 Land Speeders on the top, and there's a few bits off the old IG Tank accessory Sprue in the interior. :rolleyes:

EDIT: dammit, Stahly beat me to it

marv335
16-04-2006, 18:06
looking at the certificate it's an austrailian gw product. i've never seen it before, but it looks like it was a very limited run. the thrusters on the top look like landspeeder engines.
i'd want better provenance on this before bidding

HPD_Andy
16-04-2006, 18:13
Ok I just started looking at it closer and I shall name the bits used to make it. Thrusters are from the land speeder, inbetween them you can see the fuel canisters from the old vehicle asscesory sprue, the interior has several of the huter-killer missile lanucher front and back from the old vehicle asscesory sprue. Can anyone else point out some parts?

tzeentchgiant
16-04-2006, 20:30
The pairs of what appear to be standing places are from the landspeeder, they are steps, and I believe that the landspeeder chair is used in the top section of the central post.

TG

t-tauri
16-04-2006, 21:16
GW Australia made and cast 200 of them for a roadshow, it's legitimate, it's real GW and I'd anticipate the auction (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8795615756&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1) is going to end at a somewhat high price. The seller's Insaniak who sometimes posts here and on Dakka.

cav da man
16-04-2006, 21:21
reminds me suspiciously of the drop pod type things used in halo 2

insaniak
16-04-2006, 22:14
To me it looks like someone built a drop pod from his bitz box, created molds and sells them now as limited run models. Fakes.
The first half of that is correct... except that in this case the 'someone' was GW Australia.

The original, as near as I can make out, was built from various vehicle bits and foam core. They then made a mold, and cast up and sold 200 of them during the Laniena III Roadshow, which featured the Pods as a part of the participation battles that were being played.

They're a legitimate GW model, and are no longer available. This one is the only one I'll be selling... I only have 2, and I'm sure as hell not parting with both of them ;)

Brother Valnrys
16-04-2006, 23:11
It looks cool in a strangely appealing sort of way. I mean i'd probably never purchase it but thats more because i am stupidly paranoid.