PDA

View Full Version : IG - Griffhon?

GlenMorray
03-11-2011, 15:24
Hiya chaps,

I'm doing a small steel legion army and I want to field a couple of Griffhon artillery pieces.

Only problem is I can't find them anymore?

I know Forgeworld does a really nice conversion but it's a little out of my price range.

Anyone has a simple solution? :chrome:

Lord Gabranth
03-11-2011, 15:33
You can just use the basilisk and cut down the barrel just short of the part where the barrel ends and turns into the chamber. Then add the armored crew compartment and then, voila, Griffon. The barrel will be a bit big but I dont think you will catch much flack for a conversion.

And AFAIK, FW is the only place that makes the Griffon

Bunnahabhain
03-11-2011, 15:34
Take yourself a chimera chassis, some plasticard, bits box, and a few bits of plastic tubing. Done.

I've seen all sorts of conversions.
1) cut down Baslisks
2) total scratch builds of the gun
3) borrowing a big gun from bits box. Most recent one was using MRP pods off a vendetta as the tube

Have a look at the IG tread head thread, down in M,P and T. Lots of ideas there to steal.

AndrewGPaul
03-11-2011, 15:38
You can just use the basilisk and cut down the barrel just short of the part where the barrel ends and turns into the chamber. Then add the armored crew compartment and then, voila, Griffon. The barrel will be a bit big but I dont think you will catch much flack for a conversion.

The Griffon has an armoured crew compartment? Since when?

Also, if you want to be pedantic, the Griffon uses a mortar, so you'll need to remove the breech detail on the Basilisk gun. Probably that recoil compensator (the slammer tube that sits above the barrel).

GlenMorray
03-11-2011, 15:41
Hmm ok cheers chaps!

I'll have a look at the tred-head one, I'm a visual person, need the visual! ;]

Lord Gabranth
03-11-2011, 15:45
The Griffon has an armoured crew compartment? Since when?

Also, if you want to be pedantic, the Griffon uses a mortar, so you'll need to remove the breech detail on the Basilisk gun. Probably that recoil compensator (the slammer tube that sits above the barrel).

This looks like more of an armoured crew compartment more then the open backed compartment on the bassie

Voss
03-11-2011, 15:51
The armoured crew comparment is an option in the codex. The only currently available FW may just have it innately.

You could, in theory, try to track down the old GW hybrid (metal/plastic) griffon from trade sites or ebay. I know I've got bits of one in storage somewhere but much of it got used in various ork trukk conversions.

Bunnahabhain
03-11-2011, 15:53
This looks like more of an armoured crew compartment more then the open backed compartment on the bassie

My metal 2nd ed one, the original griffon, doesn't have any Armour for the crew compartment at all. It is more open than the basilisk

Lord Gabranth
03-11-2011, 16:01
My metal 2nd ed one, the original griffon, doesn't have any Armour for the crew compartment at all. It is more open than the basilisk

I never knew that GW had made one back in 2nd ed, I started in 3rd and the only griffon I have seen has been the FW one with a "slightly" armoured compartment, more then that of the current bassies

Bloodknight
03-11-2011, 16:06
They did, I got 3 of them ;). They were in the first 3rd edition IG codex as well, you probably started with the 2nd 3rd edition codex where they had been dropped.

AndrewGPaul
03-11-2011, 16:06
Yeah, that was the one I was thinking of:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Imperial_Guard_Griffon.gif&sa=X&ei=SbmyTrrWBY2VOqmd3PEB&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEcR6yidVIUwaNAbHva30mYQzCF_A

GlenMorray
03-11-2011, 16:07
yea ok so I'm gettign a feel for it, looks like buying the Basalisk and converting that bad boy is the best option...

I do like the FW one though!

...Shopping at ForgeWorld is like doing your 'Big Shop' at Waitrose!

Lord Gabranth
03-11-2011, 16:11
They did, I got 3 of them ;). They were in the first 3rd edition IG codex as well, you probably started with the 2nd 3rd edition codex where they had been dropped.

Yea when I started I didnt play IG, I stared with Tau, but that was right around a year before the 4th ed Tau book came out. So I never had a (good) look at the 3rd ed IG book.

Yeah, that was the one I was thinking of:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?source=imglanding&ct=img&q=http://kofler.dot.at/40k/units/Imperial_Guard_Griffon.gif&sa=X&ei=SbmyTrrWBY2VOqmd3PEB&ved=0CAwQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEcR6yidVIUwaNAbHva30mYQzCF_A

Thats a damn neat looking piece, So in that case you should be able to just buy a bassie and cut down the barrel and then there is no need to spend any money at FW for armour.

Thank you all for the enlightenment.

Hrw-Amen
03-11-2011, 16:52
I made some using the Chimera chasis, the dozer blade hydrolics and the shaft of an old marker pen. In fact I made three. I did base them on my old 2nd edition original though so no armoured crew compartment.

I'm sure if you do not want to buy a FW one though and am not keen on conversions you could just get hold of one of the FW Heavy mortars and use that with a Chimera.

MajorWesJanson
03-11-2011, 16:54

I would say that if it was an armored compartment, it would close to fully enclosed. It looks rather like a Vanaheim Basilisk to me.

prowla
03-11-2011, 21:01
Shouldn't GW be coming up with a multiple gun kit version of Basilisk soonish? Anyway, shouldn't be too difficult to chop up a Basilisk to make one.

Beppo1234
04-11-2011, 00:19
I see 4 oop griffons on Ebay... and if you buy defense lines to go with them, you can mount the mortar on a plastic base, and interchange the mortar with the Flak cannon out of the defense line to make a hydra... it's the perfect mix and match

tu33y
08-11-2011, 11:20
oh but the griffon is SUCH a pretty model... it really is. its a bit of a (insert nerdrage) to fit together but so worth it- the interior is mint.

honestly, save up another month.

silentsmoke
08-11-2011, 20:07
Check ebay...

The Marshall
08-11-2011, 22:49
...Shopping at ForgeWorld is like doing your 'Big Shop' at Waitrose!

Sounds right

Grand Master Raziel
09-11-2011, 03:49
I have the Griffon mortar bitz kicking around somewhere. I got a Griffon kit from a friend, but I didn't want a Griffon. So, with a copious amount of plasticard, a fair bit of green stuff, and a few bitz I turned it into a Chimera. If you want the Griffon mortar, PM me and maybe we can work out a trade.

AlphariusOmegon20
09-11-2011, 04:25
Honestly, I'd love to see an Armageddon Pattern Griffon from FW.

I'd buy a few right off the bat personally.