PDA

View Full Version : Making Free Company Work

Algovil
05-11-2011, 18:41
Since the Empire Free Company kit is nothing short of amazing, I am planning a horde of 40 of these guys.

I know it is not the best choice around, Halberdiers are probably better in every case. Without armour they are vulnerable, still, light armour is not much of a difference.

Let us say we use them anyway!

So how can we make these guys work? Is horde a good idea or maybe smaller units. If I were to take them in a big unit, how should they be supported?

Discuss away!

yabbadabba
05-11-2011, 18:51
They seem to work fine for me. I think the key is a horde of 40 is an easy target unless you support them with a WP or magic.

Algovil
05-11-2011, 19:05
Which lore would work well with Free Company then, using lore of light now, but it is a bit underwhelming with units with two attacks at s3 having another attack. Now I use Greatswords as well and there is some synergy with light. Metal, Heaven, Light and Fire is the Wizards I have at disposal. Otherwise Beast looks like a solid choice, shadow of course.. no plz =)

What would you choose?

So 40 Free Company with a Warrior Priest it is then!

bildo
05-11-2011, 19:36
metal could be good, a 5+scaley skin save on top of light armour has you some tastey full plate wearing free company. its an over looked law, for empire take balthasar and you know all the spells. there a few that are useful even if you dont play high armour armies. turning a whole unit to gold and causing all the other units to try and grab them is excellent

theshoveller
05-11-2011, 20:35
I've just played a game where I used a ten-man Free Company detachment alongside my Greatswords - Countercharge allowed them to hit DE Black Guard in the flank and the number of dice I was rolling allowed me to kill an extra two elves per turn (I had to wipe them out, they kept rolling 1s on their break tests).

Harwammer
06-11-2011, 09:48
2A, Ld7, access to hatred, only 5 points per model? MINDRAZOR!

I put an arclec with a unit of 45 in a shadow list. It's great fun.

Cambion Daystar
06-11-2011, 09:59
Problem is, thats the same as spearmen (extra rank of spears vs extra hand weapon), unless they charge, (but why bother with empire).
Difference is, spearmen have a better save (nothing vs 6+, or 6+ vs 5+), and the option to take a magic banner if the general is present.

I really don't see much use for these guys in a competitive environment.
However, if you're playing friendly games, the 2 are very close

T10
06-11-2011, 10:00
A horde of 40 Free Company will be a moderate investment, but bear in mind that they will need to be used against proper soft targets with low average of WS, S, T and I. As has been pointed out, magic can be a great enhancer, but that's true for most units.

If I had to pick one Lore specifically for this unit, I'd go for Lore of Beasts. The Wildform signature spell gives your Free Company much needed survivability, and the Strength bonus helps you make the best of your many attacks. As a signature spell you can also rely on having it for every game. Depending on the size of your game, that reliability may be worh a little or a lot.

Lord Solar Plexus
06-11-2011, 10:11
metal could be good, a 5+scaley skin save on top of light armour has you some tastey full plate wearing free company. its an over looked law, for empire take balthasar and you know all the spells. there a few that are useful even if you dont play high armour armies. turning a whole unit to gold and causing all the other units to try and grab them is excellent

Free Company do not wear light armour, so will only have a 5+ Sv. To me, that falls into the nice to have category but I don't think it's a game breaker and certainly not worth Gelt's point cost. On Greatswords however it could be amazing.

Mind Razor and Wyssan's Wildform are the first spells that come to mind making FC viable, although you can run them with Life (increased T is always good), Fire (+1 to hit and to wound, magic & flaming attacks) or Death (reducing the target's S & T) for a similar performance boost as Wyssan's. As T10 pointed out, you can be sure to have the latter spell while you might not get the others.

Harwammer
06-11-2011, 18:26
Problem is, thats the same as spearmen (extra rank of spears vs extra hand weapon), unless they charge, (but why bother with empire).
Difference is, spearmen have a better save (nothing vs 6+, or 6+ vs 5+), and the option to take a magic banner if the general is present.

I really don't see much use for these guys in a competitive environment.
However, if you're playing friendly games, the 2 are very close

Still, I prefer militia because it takes more wounds to start depleting their attacks (and as you mention FC retain full attacks on the charge. The option for more aggressive play certainly is more versatile). Additionally they get more attacks when flanked, which actually is a suprisingly good thing when under mindrazor (I tend to start deployed deep then reforming to horde mid game).

Cambion Daystar
07-11-2011, 07:08
Hmm, i'm going to have to try this out Harwammer. I have 50 of the little buggers who haven't seen action in a long time (except as back rank filler for spearmen en swordmen units).

a18no
07-11-2011, 13:17
I've seen a unit of 50 with light lore doing really good things. With WS10 and Ini10 they become a very big threat, and cost only 250pts...

They work perfectly on the side of your amy, no light unit (cav, skirmisher, etc.) would go near that big unit.

Cambion Daystar
07-11-2011, 21:43
On the other hand, any empire unit with 40-50 models in it will do ok if buffed with magic.
Only advantage they have seems more attacks to the side, and more attacks if you charged. Otherwise they are the same as spearmen. (wo have a better save).

I think empire core cc troops (swordsmen, spearmen, halberdiers, free company) are so close to eachother in performance, that it doesn't matter much, if not to say nothing, which one you take.

(However, i have to add that halberdiers seem to benefit more from horde formation)

So take whatever models you like the most, or which ones you have available. You won't miss out much if you choose one or another.

I personally think that this is one of the strongest points of the entire empire book. Almost all core choices are equally valid (except archers...), and that's one hell of a pluspoint for an armybook!

Harwammer
08-11-2011, 03:35
Agreed. Such close viability for all the core infantry melee options really marks out The Empire book as very good!

Do let us know if you're successful with the mindrazor militia. When it comes to mind razor the more attacks the better! For extra fun try getting a game or two against WoC using a shadow list. It's really amusing to miasma their troop down to the same i/ws as a 5 point model then hit back needing 2s to wound and allowing no armour :-p

Morax
09-11-2011, 15:42
I use my free company as throw away detatchments. A unit of 5 only costs 25 points, golden for redirecting and acting as a speed bump. If they are left alone they can clean up warmachines with 10 attacks vs crew. If they are lost they cost next to nothing and usually let me set up better charges on my turn. They even fit the fluff that way. Useful without being killy.

SkawtheFalconer
10-11-2011, 15:03
I played two units of 50 in a tourney recently each lead by a couple of warrior priests, they pack an almighty wallop.

Dark Aly
10-11-2011, 21:01
The main advantage in my opinion in taking free company is the great models and the opportunity for themed lists with warrior priest leading a band of militia rabble on a holy crusade :) or a pirate theme with free company (bucklers of swash), handunners (made with the free company spree of course) artillery and a master engineer with a captain with a big floppy hat and a BSB with the skull and bones.