PDA

View Full Version : Bretonnia - Army list help? - 2400pts

ScottofManyArmies
06-11-2011, 11:26
Okay, I'm posting this up here as I need some advice on the list. I am thinking about writing a new brettonian army and starting it as a project army. I need some advice for the list as Im aiming for 2400pts. Any suggestions are welcome, this post is reposted as I had to take out the individual item points cost's. I also need some help as I have some points left to spend on a decent special choice and I can't decide on what to spend it on as I think the list is pretty well rounded as it is. I have looked at pegasus knights as a flanking unit to take out enemy warmachines etc.

Characters
Brettonian Lord
Grail Vow
Barded Warhorse
Armour of Agiulf
(Heavy armour includes a shield - 4+ armour save. Confers WS 10 to Wearer)
Heartwood Lance
(+2 Strength on the Charge - Re-roll all failed wound.
Virtue of the Joust
(Re-roll all to hit rolls when charging, includes magical lances)
244pts
--------
Paladin - Battle Standard Bearer
Shield
Barded Warhorse
Morning Star
(Banner of the Lady)
78pts (178pts)
------
Damsel of the Lady
Level 2
Barded Warhorse
Chalice of Malfeur
( On the Roll of a 2-6, the bearer generates an extra power dice and adds it to the dispel pool)
Ruby Goblet
(From the end of the phase where the bearer and the unit he is with take any unsaved wounds, they cannot be wounded on anything better than a 3+)
169pts

Core Choices

Lance formation 1 - 15 Knights of the Realm
Full Command
Banner of Chalons
394pts
------

Lance formation 2 - 15 Knights of the Realm
Full Command
384pts
-------
Men At Arms - 50 Men at Arms
Full Command
277pts
-----
Peasent Bowmen - 20 Bowmen
Light armour (Included in the Cost above)
Brazier
Full Command
145pts
------
Peasent Bowmen - 20 Bowmen
Light armour (Included in the Cost above)
Brazier
Full Command
145pts

Special - I have 264pts left to spend here.

Rare
Trebuchet
Yeoman Craftsmen
100pts
-----
Trebuchet
Yeoman Craftsmen
100pts

2136pts Spent

Please if you have any thoughts or suggestion then reply to this post. I'm working on fluff for this army after reading "The Red Duke" by CL Werner.

ScottofManyArmies
07-11-2011, 20:21
Folk's, I do need some help with this. Would anyone please like to cast their eye over the list and share some thoughts.

Duke Ramulots
08-11-2011, 05:04
I will give it a shot.

Your bowmen are in too big of units and its a waste to give them a command or armor. Five ten man units instead of the two twenty man that you have will not only be more flexible but will allow you to better strategize your deployment. You're kinda light on magic as well, Brets do well with a few buffs going so I like to run a few damsels/prophetesses at this size.

Echunia
09-11-2011, 09:50
I would agree with the above. Drop some archers, get in some Peg knights. Get a lvl 4 allways have one wizard on beasts for str/toughness buff.

You should probably remove the yeomen craftsmen, they arn't worth it.

Wesser
09-11-2011, 10:14
Hmm I usually dont have success with magic. Misscast can be devastating if your damsel is with the knights and yet they are vulnerable on their own. A Damsel with feedback scroll or silver mirror is my usual build which will often ensure some safety.

Those busses are incredibly vulnerable with their huge flanks and no support. Despite their size they'll probably still struggle to break infantry even if they get to charge (with those flanks it aint a given that you get to). So if you wanna go with busses I'd suggest you use your remaining points on peg knights or 6-man lances of knigts errant to protect the flanks.

Archers: either take 4 10-man units or 1 40-man unit. The latter may be a clumsy formation that may have targeting issues. It does however gain greater bonuses from magic and with defensive stakes and deployed as horde it is actually a much better fighting unit than men-at-arms as long as it dont move.

Men-at-arms: Overpriced, easy combat resolution, needs to be babysitted by knights. Other than as small units of throw-aways I cant see what anyone expects to achieve with them. They can only outfight common goblins, skaven slaves and zombies and each and every other army out tehre can field better core infantry which is often cheaper.

Echunia
09-11-2011, 12:02
I would say the men at arms are probably one of the strongest points in the bret list atm. With beast magic your men at arms can deliver quite the punch. But I guess you have to commit to them to make them good.

I agree about miscasts though, I wouldn't put a mage in a lance unless it's on life.

Duke Ramulots
09-11-2011, 18:03
Ive use the lowly men@arms to tarpit some really expensive units with +4 T and D6+1 of them comming back every turn. Lore of life makes anything a win in my book.

Blackknight1239
13-11-2011, 06:34
Men-at-Arms need support. Usually, that's magic. I like running them with a Level 1/2 w/ Beasts and the Prayer Icon. Blessing on a unit of 50 is awesome. Just make sure to get her outta there turn one, otherwise she could get killed quick. Likewise, a level 4 is needed, and the combat lord is a hard unit to justify. I've never liked bowmen myself; too little strength to do much against anything important. I'd say just take 20 in two units. Getting some cheap Knights Errant units, or maybe Questing Knights, to protect your flanks is advisable. And going anywhere without a flight of Pegasus Knights is shear madness.