PDA

View Full Version : Forge World

snikch13
16-04-2006, 22:27
Anyone been thinking about how efficient ForgeWorld is in making new units, legions, and rules compared to the main GW departments?

athamas
16-04-2006, 22:31
their models are all cast from resin, straight from the origionals..

where as gw do 3 ups, add ditail, scale down then make die's for the plastic...

FW also do whatever they like almost, GW has to do silly things like planning and sketches etc..

FW has a much higher turn around yes!

damz451
16-04-2006, 22:47
forgeworld models generally have lower quality for their models such as warping and bubbles

athamas
16-04-2006, 22:50
WHAT!!!!

FW may have the odd bubble, or the occasional warp but both of these are easily solved either by phoning them up if the problems to great or by gently heating the model to reshape it/ filling in the small hole!

FW have incredible ditail, are far better than GW standards [you have the ditail of the metal mixed with the ease of use of plastic!]

FW may be expensive, but you get a far better model!

brother_fandango
16-04-2006, 22:57
i like FW models cuz theyre resin, resulting in a heavier model. thus, a slight breeze wont knowck it over on the table top.

Brimstone
16-04-2006, 22:59
forgeworld models generally have lower quality for their models such as warping and bubbles

I take it you haven't purchased many resin kits.

Forgeworld are very good compared to a lot of other resin kit manufacturers.

I've had very few issues with FW kits and where I have had problems they have been resolved promptly and to my satisfaction.

damz451
16-04-2006, 23:30
iv bought a few models such as lightning fighters and dreads. One lightning was so badly manufactured that i just sent it back, parts were too small to fit in and left huge gaps on one side of the model and the other side nothing fit in at all.

Kahadras
16-04-2006, 23:46
I've bought a few things from Forge World and have been, on the whole, happy with how the models have turned out. I still prefer plastic over resin by a mile though. I've found that you have to be much more careful with resin due to the fact that it is quite fragile. I will still keep buying from Forge World but only bits and pieces rather than any large stuff. Mod kits are my favorites as they really add something to the model.

Kahadras

silverstu
16-04-2006, 23:50
I was gob smacked by the quality and detail when I got my nid spore sacks- the detail is so fine. I'm really impressed with the add on kits too- can really deepen the character of an army by adding a couple- plus I think they are relatively affordable.

Overlord Krycis
17-04-2006, 00:28
I bought the World Eaters Dreadnought and it was perfect...dont see what all the problems ppl have with resin minis...

Flame of Udun
17-04-2006, 00:47
Personally I've never had a bad kit from forgeworld, and for the little extra expense you do get a damn fine model.

Just out of curiosity is there a point to this thread?

The Orange
17-04-2006, 00:53
I've had problems with quality as well, I guess I'm just unlucky. My first model was a Tau tank commander, which was horribly misalligned, some details were literally cut off because of it, but FW thankfully replaced it when I wen't to GDLA. But now I have and XV-89 with an excessive block of resin that covered one of the elbows, destroying the details, and im debating weather I should contact them, or not. I also got the Wave Serpent, but the bright lance is bent all out of shape, but im sure I can fix that when I get around to it. So out of a total of 4 models (I also got O'Rymr) 3 had problems.

BloodiedSword
17-04-2006, 01:11
The Orange - Why wouldn't you contact them?

First and foremost, most people's experiences seem to be that they are friendly people who will happily replace really bad casts (as you yourself found).

Secondly, if it comes to it, they have sold you defective goods, and as a customer you have every right to complain and see it replaced with a non-defective one.

Orinoco
17-04-2006, 01:17
I bought the World Eaters Dreadnought and it was perfect...dont see what all the problems ppl have with resin minis...

sometimes fw's resin casting is really sub par. also the material as general rule isnt very good. every other resin kit ive ever bough, even from garage manufactuerers use better resin. you could pick up an easter island resin 28m resin i have and hit it against a table edge and nuthin. fw resin would shatter.

Sir_Lunchalot
17-04-2006, 04:25
I recently finished putting together a pair of FW crisis suits I bought nearly a year ago. I noticed a rather irritating mold line along one of the missile pods, and I noticed that if you clip too close to eth model there's a chance you'll take part of the model witht eh sprue you're trying to seperate it from. other than those minor details it works pretty good. nice detail, glues very well.

Ubik_Lives
17-04-2006, 04:57
I've bought a significant amount of Forgeworld items over the years, and I've only ever had one real problem. My Sky Ray had a massive air bubble; it was about an inch long. However, there was no detail back there, so I cut it open, filled it with green stuff, and no-one was the wiser.

Adept
17-04-2006, 05:05
I've got a few FW bits, including a Baneblade, and never really had a problem. There was a lot of flash on the models, but its easy enough to trim off.

C. Langana
17-04-2006, 05:08
Same here, generally high quality stuff. I once got a hydra with some misaligned barrels. Phoned up FW to ask more about the hot water treatment and the chap simply replied 'here have another hydra oh and the water thing is X...Y...&Z.'

Hortwerth
17-04-2006, 08:52
Well, Micro Art Studio does quite a number of commissions with FW models involved. As we are also casting our stuff in resin, in slightly different technology (cheaper), we know what to look for and expect.
The point is, around 1/4th of the FW larger models are badly warped. The bubble thing is scarcer occuring, but nevertheless it sometimes happens - the properties of resin. And as most of the time it's the client who bought the model and send it to us, we cannot just phone the FW. It would need involving the client and stretching his P&P cost, so we try to solve it on our own when we can.
We know how to dodge warping the casted parts, and we curse each time we get from FW a warped element, as that means they just have low production quality control - the guys castiong the parts are low paid and don't care for what they cast, it seems.
Don't get me wrong, the detail is astounding, but it seems FW consists of 2 companies (or outsources the production): one projecting cool stuff, the other screwing it up in production.

Getz
17-04-2006, 13:43
sometimes fw's resin casting is really sub par. also the material as general rule isnt very good. every other resin kit ive ever bough, even from garage manufactuerers use better resin. you could pick up an easter island resin 28m resin i have and hit it against a table edge and nuthin. fw resin would shatter.

I think FW need to use a realtively brittle Resin to take all the Detail they Cram in.

On the Whole I think they're pretty good but I agree the QC culd be better. Personally I have never recieved a truely bad cast from FW and resin kits have never been for beginners either, but they don't help themselves by letting sub-standard parts get through to customers.