PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing and Catching...

Zoolander
07-11-2011, 06:45
This may just be a memory carried over from 7th, and I've searched the BRB and the FAQ for anything on this, but cannot seem to find it.

I played a game against Brets and made a unit of knights flee from combat. He rolled a 10 to escape and I a 7 or 8. So according to the rules, he escapes. However, his unit was so long that if I moved my full 8" I would have caught him. In 7th, I would place my unit 1" behind his, which is what we did here, but we could not find that rule in the BRB for 8th, and wonder if it was removed.

Thoughts? This seems like a simple thing and I feel like a noob for asking.

Cambion Daystar
07-11-2011, 07:17
step1: turn unit around
step2: move unit 10 inch.

I don't get how you can catch him if you move your unit less?
Did he perhaps measure 1 time from the front and 1 time from the back of the unit?

jtrowell
07-11-2011, 08:44
Even if for some reason you're still touching his unit, if you failed to catch it, then you just stop 1" from the unit.

T10
07-11-2011, 13:54
Thoughts? This seems like a simple thing and I feel like a noob for asking.

This is actually covered in the rules for breaking and fleeing from combat. Units that pursue move the up to the distance rolled but will 1" away from the (surviving) fleeing unit.

They will also stop 1" away from any friendly units that might block their path too.

-T10

Tregar
07-11-2011, 16:01
For once the memory of 7th edition holds true, they escape indeed!

Zoolander
07-11-2011, 21:13
This is actually covered in the rules for breaking and fleeing from combat. Units that pursue move the up to the distance rolled but will 1" away from the (surviving) fleeing unit.

They will also stop 1" away from any friendly units that might block their path too.

-T10

I've reread the rules on that subject again, and do not find it. Do you have a page number? The only thing I found was if the unit runs into an obstacle, which is described as impassible terrain or a friendly unit. It never mentions the fleeing unit. For the record, that's how we play, I just wanted to verify it.

Artiee
07-11-2011, 21:26
Its page 61. the only time it would be a issue is in mulitiple fights. I dont see how its a issue with a sign fight..

Zoolander
07-11-2011, 21:45
Its page 61. the only time it would be a issue is in mulitiple fights. I dont see how its a issue with a sign fight..

No, thank you, but that isn't it at all. Let me explain it better perhaps. Unit A is a unit of bret knights, with 9 remaining after combat. This unit is 6" long, being three models wide and three models in length. It fails it's break test and rolls a 10 for distance moved. The opposing unit pursues and rolls an 8 for distance moved. The brets escape. However, being 6" long, the opposing unit cannot move 8" without landing on top of the other unit. Obviously, this does not happen, and the unit is placed 1" behind the knights, and only moves 3". Make more sense now?

I know the rule, but when I was explaining it, I could not find where it was referenced in the book and it was annoying.

Paladin21
07-11-2011, 21:54
In a 1-to-1 fight, the depth of the unit involved can never matter. You pivot the unit around its center, and then move the full distance rolled to flee. The the pursuer moves the full roll to pursue. The don't just move X inches from the line of combat, they move X inches from wherever their unit front is after they pivot.

Mr_Rose
07-11-2011, 21:57
Unless you flanked it, the length of the unit is irrelevant; fleeing units rotate about their centre then move forwards the distance rolled. If two units are fighting front to front or front to rear then there's no way they could end up closer than the distance rolled by the pursuing unit.

Artiee
07-11-2011, 23:36
No, thank you, but that isn't it at all. Let me explain it better perhaps. Unit A is a unit of bret knights, with 9 remaining after combat. This unit is 6" long, being three models wide and three models in length. It fails it's break test and rolls a 10 for distance moved. The opposing unit pursues and rolls an 8 for distance moved. The brets escape. However, being 6" long, the opposing unit cannot move 8" without landing on top of the other unit. Obviously, this does not happen, and the unit is placed 1" behind the knights, and only moves 3". Make more sense now?

I know the rule, but when I was explaining it, I could not find where it was referenced in the book and it was annoying.

I see what you are doing..

You are measuring from the front and then turning them around leaving the front in the final postion. The way you do it is rotate them around and have the rear against the other unit and then measure the distance. See the Attached file.

Artiee
07-11-2011, 23:37
Unless you flanked it, the length of the unit is irrelevant; fleeing units rotate about their centre then move forwards the distance rolled. If two units are fighting front to front or front to rear then there's no way they could end up closer than the distance rolled by the pursuing unit.

It would be the same as it was 1 on 1 on the flank.

The bearded one
07-11-2011, 23:43
Artiee is correct, with a lovely and very clear explanatory picture :)

eron12
08-11-2011, 05:10
It would only matter if the fleeing unit was engaged on the flank, and even then you would stop the pursuing unit an inch away.

Zoolander
09-11-2011, 09:23
Oh thank you Artiee, all! Nice picture! Yes, I see now how that should be done. We are idiots. LOL. Thank you!