PDA

View Full Version : High Elves - 2000 Points, 3 Mages, Clearly I'm Insane...

Rogue Sun
09-11-2011, 00:52
Fire mages at that!

LORDS 490
Archmage (lvl3) 235
- Lore of Fire
- Silver Wand

Archmage (lvl3) 255
- Lore of Fire
- Seerstaff of Saphery
Fireball
Fulminating Flame Cage
Flame Storm

HEROES 435
Dragon Mage (lvl2) 435
- Ruby Ring of Ruin
- Gem of Sunfire

CORE 505
25 Spears 255
- Full Command
- Gleaming Pennant

25 Spears 250
- Full Command

SPECIAL 570
15 White Lions 305
- Full Command
- Banner of Sorcery

15 White Lions 265
- Full Command
- Banner of Eternal Flame

==== OR ====
SPECIAL 575 (dropping the Gleaming Pennant)
7 Dragon Princes 290
- Banner
- Musician
- Banner of Sorcery

7 Dragon Princes 285
- Banner
- Musician
- Razor Standard

(or a combination of both...?)

TOTAL 2000

OK, so obviously a very different list, but with some luck this can throw 4 fireballs out a turn, which I'm hoping at 2000 points will actually put some serious damage up on units. The Gem of Sunfire should help on that crucial turn, and the free power dice from the Dragon Mage + the Ruby Ring will help get the Kindle Flame effect going at very minimul cost. Even more crazy than the list - I'm thinking of taking this to a tournament. I have no doubts no one would expect this.

Thoughts? Will I just get crushed or do you think this has some sort of a chance?

Aljoman
09-11-2011, 01:34
Do remember that there is currently no way for the Dragonmage to get fireball as one of his rolled spells as far as i know as he changes one for Flaming Sword instead of the signature, I guess you could roll doubles and pick it through that mechanic but it's dicey.

Switching the special around would be more of a playstyle thing, whichever you work well with.

m1acca1551
09-11-2011, 01:39
Ahhh interesting list, will throw a spanner in a few peoples way of playing...

I think for a tournament you will get smashed a few time lol, but in saying that i have seen lists like your your do quite well as no one expects it!!

Rogue Sun
09-11-2011, 01:42
Do remember that there is currently no way for the Dragonmage to get fireball as one of his rolled spells as far as i know as he changes one for Flaming Sword instead of the signature, I guess you could roll doubles and pick it through that mechanic but it's dicey.

Switching the special around would be more of a playstyle thing, whichever you work well with.

I was under the impression that the Dragon Mage could switch for either Flaming Sword or Fireball. Does an FAQ say otherwise? The wording could easily be interpreted either way.

Aljoman
09-11-2011, 02:08
I'd talk to your opponent about it before the game. Back when I started High Elves in 7th I was running a dragonmage and 2 other mages, he didn't survive a single game from what I remember. Shame, I like the idea and the model.

Rogue Sun
09-11-2011, 03:28
I honestly don't need him to survive very long (and yes, Macca1551, I probably will get smashed pretty hard). All I need is one good magic phase to cripple my opponent, then let the white lions do the rest.

One thing that I hope will work well is getting 2 fulminating flame cages off to lock down 2 blocks of models. If I can do that, I can focus on dismantling my opponents army piecemeal.