PDA

View Full Version : First 2500 HE List

Y'he Sha'is
09-11-2011, 14:38
I've been working on developing a HE list that is fun to play, decently competative, and has a 'theme' that makes me want to play the list, and helps develop the fluff for the list (and army choices).

For this list, I'm struggling with the 'theme' the most. I initially wanted to run a Yvresse list, with a griffon mounted lord, but I think he's rather weak given how relatively easily the griffon dies in CC. I'm still exploring this idea, but I've moved on for now. Now, I have an infantry based list, with strong magic support.

LORD
Archmage (Shadow or Life, not 100% sure yet) - 350
Level 4 Upgrade, F. Robe, Tal. of Saph, Silver Wand
I think this combo is competative, and fluffy at the same time for a high elf mage. He isn't really unkillable, but he is difficult to kill for most armies, and with the banner of sorcery, he should be able to control the magic phase decently enough. I'm still undecided between Shadow (buffing troops) or life (defensive troops). I'm not sold on the silver wand, to be honest, and I'd cut it if I could find a better use of the points. Goes with the PG.

HEROES
Noble BSB - 168
Armor of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Great Weapon
Pretty standard BSB. Goes with WL to add a bit of punch.

Mage - 140
Level 1 (High), Annulian Crystal
Crystal caddy, and back up dispeller, as well as adding some resiliency to the troops. Goes with archers most of the time.

CORE (636)
35 Spearmen w/FC - 340
A large block of spearmen can be effective. I'd like to use LSG for the elite feel of the army, but the points really don't work out that well.

13 Archers w/Musician - 148

These units sit back and pelt enemies as necessary, or counter-charge if they need to. I've been thinking of running 25 LSG block with 2-10 man LSG archer units as supporting units, but for now I'm sticking with whats above. Opinions?

SPECIAL
19 Pheonix Guard w/FC, Banner of Sorcery - 360
Mage bunker and good anvil for the SM or the DPs.

20 White Lions w/FC, Banner of Eternal Flame - 335
Probably run with the BSB in a 3x7 formation. Good at killing whatever is in front of them, if not a little fragile.

14 Sword Master - 210
Good at hacking infantry, and that's pretty much how I'll use them. Don't expect them to last very long at all.

5 Dragon Princes - 150
Good counter-charge/delay charge as necessary to help protect the infantry.

RARE (150)
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
3 eagles seems to be optimum for this list in my mind.

TOTAL: 2499

Morax
09-11-2011, 17:38
I've been working on developing a HE list that is fun to play, decently competative, and has a 'theme' that makes me want to play the list, and helps develop the fluff for the list (and army choices).

For this list, I'm struggling with the 'theme' the most. I initially wanted to run a Yvresse list, with a griffon mounted lord, but I think he's rather weak given how relatively easily the griffon dies in CC. I'm still exploring this idea, but I've moved on for now. Now, I have an infantry based list, with strong magic support.

LORD
Archmage (Shadow or Life, not 100% sure yet) - 350
Level 4 Upgrade, F. Robe, Tal. of Saph, Silver Wand
I think this combo is competative, and fluffy at the same time for a high elf mage. He isn't really unkillable, but he is difficult to kill for most armies, and with the banner of sorcery, he should be able to control the magic phase decently enough. I'm still undecided between Shadow (buffing troops) or life (defensive troops). I'm not sold on the silver wand, to be honest, and I'd cut it if I could find a better use of the points. Goes with the PG.

Don't knock the silver wand. It gives you almost the entire lore without having to add a second wizard. That is huge as most lores have 1-2 spells that won't link up well with your battle plan. Life has shield of thorns and awakening the wood possibly leaving you without throne of vines. Shadow has steed of shadows and the pendulum possibly leaving you without mindrazor. While your wizard lord would still be useful he would not be nearly as effectual. The Silver Wand is a cheap way to help insure this doesn't happen.

HEROES
Noble BSB - 168
Armor of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, Great Weapon
Pretty standard BSB. Goes with WL to add a bit of punch.

Always nice.

Mage - 140
Level 1 (High), Annulian Crystal
Crystal caddy, and back up dispeller, as well as adding some resiliency to the troops. Goes with archers most of the time.

Depending on the lore you give your wizard lord you may want to shift this wizard's lore. There are several great signature spells that do great things for a high elf list. Beasts for Wissian's is great, str4 t4 spearmen that fight in 4 ranks and have asf cause a lot of people bad days. Fireball is well....a fireball and who doesn't like a fireball every once in a while. Metal gives you the ability to deal with extremely high armor saves in a way the rest of your list can't. Not saying high magic isn't good, just keep your options open as resiliency isn't really needed if you have a level 4 life wizard already.

CORE (636)
35 Spearmen w/FC - 340
A large block of spearmen can be effective. I'd like to use LSG for the elite feel of the army, but the points really don't work out that well.

Yes they can, particularly if buffed with the right magic. Wissian's and Mindrazor work wonders on them and flesh to stone will make them effective in a war of attrition.

These units sit back and pelt enemies as necessary, or counter-charge if they need to. I've been thinking of running 25 LSG block with 2-10 man LSG archer units as supporting units, but for now I'm sticking with whats above. Opinions?

Bow fire is generally unimpressive unless you have something in the list that makes it a bit better. Flaming Sword of Ruin comes to mind but to get that you would need a fire wizard with seerstaff and that would work better on LSG anyway.

SPECIAL
19 Pheonix Guard w/FC, Banner of Sorcery - 360
Mage bunker and good anvil for the SM or the DPs.

True, a very nice mage bunker but so are the whitelions when that mage is etheral. I'd look at putting the BSB here and the wizard lord in the white lions.

20 White Lions w/FC, Banner of Eternal Flame - 335
Probably run with the BSB in a 3x7 formation. Good at killing whatever is in front of them, if not a little fragile.

Not as fragile as you may think, particularly when buffed with a simple life spell like a boosted earthblood. You then are usually being hit on 4's with a 4+/4++ save, not too shabby.

14 Sword Master - 210
Good at hacking infantry, and that's pretty much how I'll use them. Don't expect them to last very long at all.

If your opponent has small arms fire he will be shooting them here. Just be ware of that and they can do fine. If you have to line them up across from missle troops make sure to put the Dragon Princes in front to give them moble hard cover.

5 Dragon Princes - 150
Good counter-charge/delay charge as necessary to help protect the infantry.

Tricky to use well. Do not expect them to shift units on their own because they won't, even on a flank. They will work well as a supporting charge to an infantry block however. They are also great for taking down warmachines and going mage hunting. If you find the points, a magical banner could find its home here.

RARE (150)
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
Great Eagle
3 eagles seems to be optimum for this list in my mind.

2 should get the job done just fine but an extra for insurance won't hurt. If you need points for an idea I would get the first 50 here.

TOTAL: 2499

Nice list. You may have noticed that I spoke a lot about choice of magic lore above. That is because with a selection of 9 lores, it is a huge potential advantage you have over some other lists. Also it will dictate how you handle the elves as with life you can take your time setting things up as you will have the high toughness and saves to withstand some shooting. With Shadow you will need to close quickly but will hit like a ton of bricks often breaking things in the first round of combat. Decide which of these you want to focus on and you will be able to plan a battle ahead of time.