PDA

View Full Version : Necron Model Options

gdsora
10-11-2011, 07:34
I am still new to 40k, and always wondering about stuff like this.

But how often do models get release that have no options?

For example you have the Necron Overlord and Cryptek.

both rules-wise have tons of options for equipment, but their models have NONE of those options.

I thought WYSIWYG was important in this game, so I was a little off put by the lack of options in the brand new models.

Anyways...is this a common occurrence?

azimaith
10-11-2011, 07:36
Yes it is common.

Also crypteks have a "device" exactly what it does is unknown.

Wishing
10-11-2011, 07:43
The short answer is yes - the standard for GW games is that if you want your models to be WYSIWYG and you want them to be armed with something other than what the stock model comes with, you are expected to convert the model yourself. Conversion and weapon swapping as a practice is very central to the GW hobby. If you don't want to chop up your models, you can choose to either 1) not be WYSIWYG, or 2) limit yourself to only choosing the equipment that is visible on the stock model.

Spiney Norman
10-11-2011, 09:21
I am still new to 40k, and always wondering about stuff like this.

But how often do models get release that have no options?

For example you have the Necron Overlord and Cryptek.

both rules-wise have tons of options for equipment, but their models have NONE of those options.

I thought WYSIWYG was important in this game, so I was a little off put by the lack of options in the brand new models.

Anyways...is this a common occurrence?

In the case of Necrons its not really an issue. Take the overlord for example, other than their stock weapon option (fire-glove, warscythe, staff of light or void blade) no-one knows that their gear is supposed to look like, no-one is going to look at a model and say "aha, that'll be his phase shifter then".

So I paint my Overlord (the plastic one that comes with the annihilation barge) with a glowing green light at the end of his external spinal coloumn, and I say "thats his phase shifter", if I'm likely to face exceedingly picky opponents I might paint some tiny flecks of paint on an arm and say "there are his mindshackle scarabs". I'd honestly be surprised if anyone fielded a standard overlord with anything other than a warscythe, but its easy enough to swap the staff head with a staff of light from the praetorian set (fortunately SoL and covenant rods look virtually identicle), or a void blade from the same set if you really want one.

As for the Cryptek, no-one knows what their equipment looks like either, so you can paint the staff however you like (best to make it a different colour from the standard SoL) and call it after whatever harbinger you're taking. So for example the aeonstaff of the Harbinger of eternity is desribed as being made of sapphire, so I paint the staff head blue and it becomes and Aeonstaff, and because no-one can prove thats not what an aeonstaff looks like thats WYSIWYG. I'm also wanting a harbinger of destruction, so I'm considering either simply painting the models SoL red (what other colour for a harbinger of destruction? ), or replacing the end of it with a spare darklance tip I have in my bits box.

Then theres the interesting hand-held device that the cryptek is holding, I personally think that would look great as either a solar pulse generator, or a Chronometron (as those are the only items of cryptek gear I'm wanting to use at this stage). If ever you want to field a harp of dissonance that might provide some interesting conversion challenges, but I can't ever really see myself wanting one of those.

gdsora
10-11-2011, 15:45
The short answer is yes - the standard for GW games is that if you want your models to be WYSIWYG and you want them to be armed with something other than what the stock model comes with, you are expected to convert the model yourself. Conversion and weapon swapping as a practice is very central to the GW hobby. If you don't want to chop up your models, you can choose to either 1) not be WYSIWYG, or 2) limit yourself to only choosing the equipment that is visible on the stock model.

Okay, I am just used to my space marine friends

who always have weapon options on their models and I thought it was more standard for HQ models.