1 converted dreadlord on cold one
1 converted master bsb
8 cold one knights
25 dark elf spearmen
15 crossbowmen
10 corsairs
5 executioners
I converted assiasin

So what would you guys say I need next. Any advice is welcome I just have no clue what to buy next so whatever you guys think I need next is welcome. Im trying to make it competitive but not too competitive at the same time and also I want to use units which I have never used before which is why im struggling so much with what to buy next

Ratbeast
11-11-2011, 10:32
more corsairs

Sh4d0w
11-11-2011, 12:02
2 more packs of corsairs, another pack of spearman and youll have a nice solid base to start from. The next step are several options, infantry heavy, get some witch elves, black guard- or cavalry, dark riders, cold one knights- or my favorite and more shooty/skirmish army, focus is on magic and shades.

tmarichards
11-11-2011, 12:47
A Cauldron of Blood. Either convert one or scratch build it, I'm personally not a big fan of the GW model. In any case, it's easily the best choice in the book, and I'd put it up ther as one of the best things in Warhammer for it's points.

20 Black Guard will also be a great unit to have, I've found that time and again I've gone back to mine.

Tarliyn
11-11-2011, 13:42
You will want a hydra eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dreadlordpaul
11-11-2011, 14:14
Thanks. That has helped me alot. I was thinking of going mainly infantry heavy with say like a 15 man cold one bodyguard for the dreadlord to act as a shock attack unit. I do like witch elves as they look very painful when paired with the corsairs as those 2 units combined could do alot of damage between poison and alot of attacks. I am actually starting to look at the cauldron differently as it looks like it could be a great annoyonce especially when they are trying to kill my corsairs after I have gave them the ward

m1acca1551
12-11-2011, 00:22
I take corsairs over witch elves personally... the do a very similar job, cost less in points and money and with some buffs from the cauldron and magic they can be just as if not more deadly. Plus the witch elves look horrible IMO.

Cold one knights are pretty good, run the bsb in there and your lord in a different unit, just incase stupidity causes them to sit around and do nothing for a turn or 2. I was rather embarresed when it happened to me lol

Sh4d0w
12-11-2011, 01:15
I take corsairs over witch elves personally... the do a very similar job, cost less in points and money and with some buffs from the cauldron and magic they can be just as if not more deadly. Plus the witch elves look horrible IMO.

Cold one knights are pretty good, run the bsb in there and your lord in a different unit, just incase stupidity causes them to sit around and do nothing for a turn or 2. I was rather embarresed when it happened to me lol

Sorry dude but the witch elves destroy the corsairs point for point, same points value base, corsairs get better armour but witch elves get an extra attack and poison. When upgraded corsairs with Sea serpent banner get same amount of attacks but when witch elves get upgraded they get 3 attacks each wit poison with armour piercing...witch elves destroy corsairs, however corsairs are core which is why people take them.

zoggin-eck
12-11-2011, 03:37
I'd add to the executioners. I don't know (or care :)) what people think of them, but you have a start on the unit already, so I'd bulk them out at bit. (Plus, they are sweet models!)

Adding to the corsairs is useful as they help keep your core points up.

For "fun factor" I love shades. You don't need heaps, they are a good distracting unit, and repeater crossbows are fab.

m1acca1551
12-11-2011, 06:20
Sorry dude but the witch elves destroy the corsairs point for point, same points value base, corsairs get better armour but witch elves get an extra attack and poison. When upgraded corsairs with Sea serpent banner get same amount of attacks but when witch elves get upgraded they get 3 attacks each wit poison with armour piercing...witch elves destroy corsairs, however corsairs are core which is why people take them.

Fully agree but if you don't have access to witch elves, and your wanting a CC unit that can throw out some hurt the corsairs can fill the roll nicely without chewing up points for another special unit like black guard or executioners.

DarkMark
12-11-2011, 09:18
1. Battalion box
2. Hydra
3. Cauldron
4. Morathi (on peggy)
5. Maybe another sorceress on foot.

The battalion box will bulk out your core and give you the cheapest special option. The hydra is our no brainer choice in rare. The cauldron is a force multiplier. The Morathi and second sorceress models will be useful characters that are often taken.

If you're ok with green stuff then Dark Eldar wyches can be used for witches. You'll want 20 BG, and 30+ Exes for their units, so I'd wait on them unless you have plenty of money!

Dreadlordpaul
12-11-2011, 09:27
I think il wait on the black guard and I am actually thinking about converting some sword masters into executioners. I was definately thinking about a hydra. I plan to convert my own cauldron but instead of being a cauldron it will be a altar of blood which I got the idea from after reading in the dark elves army book that some witch elves dont have a fixed temple. Morathi and 2 sorceresses sounds really mean and I may just have to try it :D

Clockwork
12-11-2011, 11:14
A Cauldron of Blood. Either convert one or scratch build it, I'm personally not a big fan of the GW model.

I'm in the same boat as this. Waiting to see the rumoured VC black coach-esque kit to see its conversion possibilities, and same again for the rumoured Empire war altar kit.

Curious that the Cauldron isn't finecast, no?

Dreadlordpaul
12-11-2011, 14:05
Yes that is curious. I personally plan to convert one out of my corpse cart so that it can double as a ciorpse cart and as a cauldron of blood

DarkMark
12-11-2011, 16:53
The cart idea sounds good. Morathi is used as a counts as model, not a special character.

Dreadlordpaul
12-11-2011, 22:25
Yeah thats what I was planning to use her for while she is a nice mage she does suck alot of points away from the army

Ratbeast
13-11-2011, 07:22
I'd add to the executioners. I don't know (or care :)) what people think of them, but you have a start on the unit already, so I'd bulk them out at bit. (Plus, they are sweet models!) Adding to the corsairs is useful as they help keep your core points up. For "fun factor" I love shades. You don't need heaps, they are a good distracting unit, and repeater crossbows are fab.

Executioners got screwed rule wise last book, one of my fav units in the entire game, and the look awesome too, cant wait for a plastic box set of them

popisdead
14-11-2011, 21:38
Perhaps another 15 Crossbowmen so you can run three units of 10?

I think two units of 15 Corsairs or one unit of 30 Corsairs is good.

If you like the idea of Executioners 25 more would be pretty good. A horde of 30 would be pretty scary to face.

Freenut
14-11-2011, 21:45
Executioners got screwed rule wise last book, one of my fav units in the entire game, and the look awesome too, cant wait for a plastic box set of them

Executioners have become my favorite unit. A big group of these guys backed up with a cauldron and a hag BSB with the ASF banner will distroy almost anything you put in front of it.

Darkminion
15-11-2011, 12:53
As for your initial question on what to buy/make next, we really cannot advise you as it all depends on what you want.

Main reason for this is that in the whole Dark Elf army Book there is no unit or option that is a bad choice. Everything in there is great and can be used to good effect. So I say, buy that which you like and fits with the type of list you want to play!

D...

T9nv3
15-11-2011, 17:55
I'm thinking that a battalion box would really "flesh out" your army quite a bit. Then get a hydra. Depends on game size, but I prefer executioners to black guard in bigger games. I love Black Guard, but max unit size of 20 is a bit of a downer....