PDA

View Full Version : Best cityfight tank

eldarlordx2
17-04-2006, 11:46
Like my post about best cityfight army, what do you think is the best tank. My vote goes to the hellhound the most devastating close range tank there is.

ArtificerArmour
17-04-2006, 11:50
It's surely going to be the hammerhead, isn't it?

glimli
17-04-2006, 11:54
i reckon either basilisks, demolishers or hellhounds.

basilisks for indirect fire, hellhound for awesome flamer death, and the demolisher for its all around decent armour and the demo cannon, though it might suffer from all the heavy cover.

of course as with real life you want to avoid taking tanks into city fights unless its a tianomen square type operation.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
17-04-2006, 12:28
Hellhound for me.. although as I've stated before my main two opponents play Orks and Tyranids.

Although if the rule mentioned where a flamer weapon can be used to clear a floor in the new Cityfight rules, then surely that will make the Hellhound even better. Autohits, no cover save .. oh and you have to flee the building right in front of my two Imperial Guard squads.. heh heh heh. :evilgrin:

pyramid_head
17-04-2006, 12:53
Stormhammer or stormblade whichever is the one with the heavy flamer sponsons

Morathi's Darkest Sin
17-04-2006, 12:57
Oh hell yeah, I forgot about the old superheavy Seige Tank. Of course if I could afford one It'd cetainly be jostling with the Hellhound for number one.

fracas
17-04-2006, 13:16
Immolator is ideal for city fight

Getz
17-04-2006, 13:36
i reckon either basilisks, demolishers or hellhounds.

i have found Basilisks to be nearly worthless in Cityfight...

What! I hear you all cry, but think about it. The Basilisk is good because of indirect fire, but it's Indirect fire has a minimum range of 36". Most City fight boards are, in my experience, only 4X4 so you are incapable of shelling most of the board with them.

Instead I would always use a Griffon. It may not be AP3, but it does most other things just as well, can take bunker busting shells and is nearly half the cost.

The best tank for Cityfight, however, is indisputably the Demolisher armed with Heavy Flamer sponsons...

Latro_
17-04-2006, 14:10
land raider
park it between two buildings hehe block whole board exits off.

Tonberry
17-04-2006, 14:13
Technically titans>all.

Overlord Krycis
17-04-2006, 14:15
I'd have to agree with Getz here, the Demolisher with Heavy flamer sponsons are brutal in cityfight games...I've been on the recieving end of these things *ouch*

Gaebriel
17-04-2006, 14:16
Whirlwinds or Griffons - good indirect fire power with a small minimum range.

Immolator for being able to fire after moving 12".

Or a Leman Russ Demolisher - great punch with a 14 front.

scottb
17-04-2006, 15:02
Would have to say Demolisher as well, or if we included super heavies then the Stormsword, a Demolisher on steroids.

Strikerkc
17-04-2006, 15:08
It's surely going to be the hammerhead, isn't it?

Yup, something that hovers. I see eldar Tanks being very useful because they can reposition better than any other tank, don't worry at all about braking down in the terrain, and are rock solid.

I see the Hammer head as a more "main line" city fight tank. With smart missile systems, a rail gun, and a few of the more spiffy upgrades, it will make a major nuisance of itself.

Bregalad
17-04-2006, 15:24
land raider
park it between two buildings hehe block whole board exits off.

Ever tried to block an army of anti-grav tanks and flying modules like the Tau?

Answer to the original question depends a bit on width and arrangement of streets and buildings. If the streets are too narrow, only anti-grav tanks will be happy.
Anyway, Hammerhead with Anti-Grav, Rail Gun and Smart Missile System (24", no LOS needed) is my favorite, hovering above a building, taking out your nasties on 72".

Rpait
17-04-2006, 15:26
I would have to give the honors of best cityfight tank to the Capitol Imperialis.

Strikerkc
17-04-2006, 16:29
I would have to give the honors of best cityfight tank to the Capitol Imperialis.

Of course it's going to do well in city fight, it's a city in itself ;).

TK421
17-04-2006, 17:09
Technically titans>all.

Technically Titans = Not a tank.

Mr_middle_way
17-04-2006, 17:23
Hammerhead with railgun, SMS and sensor spines....Cityfight massacre.

Chem-Dog
17-04-2006, 17:40
Demolisher for all the reasons given above.

Getifa Ubazza
17-04-2006, 17:46
Sorry if this doesnt count but a chaos defiler would be great in city fights if not then the demolisher for all the same reasons as everyone else plus its my favourite tank.

Sigma
17-04-2006, 18:14
To risk sounding like a parrot, I'm going to have to toss my vote in for the Demolisher as well.

roadkizzle
17-04-2006, 18:17
Technically, I think that demolisher's should be, at least out of all the normal tanks. (superheavies excluded) This is because it is supposed to be designed as a siege tank. Although, in reality, the cannon would probably be able to take out a building or so if it was necessary. But the demolisher or the griffon should be the best suited for the job. If they aren't then they are not living up to their names as siege tanks.

Axel
17-04-2006, 18:23
If fielding the Demolisher, what would you use for equipment?

Hull HB, sponsons HF
Track guards, rough terrain modification, mine sweeper (20pts)
Additional Stubber ?

I am just in the process of repainting a Thundererand a Demolisher I got via eBay, and thats my chance to configure them for CoD...

russian
17-04-2006, 18:41
hell hounds are good for the ability to flame round corners

Kahadras
17-04-2006, 19:01
Due to the fact that I play Marines I go for the Vindicator. Give it a machine spirit and it'll do fine. It would be even better in city fight due to the amount of cover and the weakness of its side armour.

Kahadras

Strikerkc
17-04-2006, 19:01
hell hounds are good for the ability to flame round corners

How's that? The template has to be inside range and LOS.

EarthScorpion
17-04-2006, 19:03
I'm going to be different and say that the Baal Predator with Heavy Flamer sponsons might do rather well - Assault Cannon shreddy death with 2 Heavy Flamers can kill quite a lot.

ML Kurze
17-04-2006, 19:10
How about Devilfishes upgraded with Smart Missiles and two seekers? All non-LOS weapons and cheap as well. Or going with heavier things, a Skyray with SMS would work too.
But when it comes down to it, a Demolisher rocks, since it's side armour counts as top armour instead of the weaker rear armour.

gitburna
17-04-2006, 19:47
imn guessing that los is going to be quite [very] short in cityfight probably a lot shorter than it currently is in cityfight 1, and im also going to speculate that skimmers like the hammerhead are not going to be zooming around with impunity like falcons and hammerheads currently do. My guess is that hammerheads without the sensor spines will be pretty rubbish because everything will be able to see them [ie float above terrain rather than through it] and that eldar vectored engines will do the same but allow them to be faster and maintain the speed.

All of which is a long way around of saying that Landraiders [impregnable] vindicators,demolishers and griffons will be the traditional Roxxor tanks, with anything equipped with heavyflamers being pretty darn good as well. Which is pretty much what you'd expect isnt it?

Arent current rumours saying that strength 9 or 10 weapons will be capable of levelling buildings?

Bregalad
17-04-2006, 19:48
Add a rail gun and you have the Hammerhead.

But how about the artillery tanks like Bombard, Medusa and Basilisk. Place them 230" away and use indirect fire.:p
Just be careful of fast attackers that close in.

Donnie Darko
17-04-2006, 19:55
Same as it is in non city fight. Eldar Wraith lord. Dirt cheap, tank busting, infantry mashing heavy flamer which can take advantage of cover saves and won't ever be imobilised.
Realistically for armour, Demolisher wins hands down, as with the new move and shoot ordanance weapon rules, you can roll around corners, level the building (leaving the models inside 'entangled') and then roll forwards with HF to finish them off.

I am just speculating that buildings will be destroyable and models inside will be entanged, but even in the old system, the demolisher was -2 to cover save, making a mockery of enemy squads.

Str10_hurts
17-04-2006, 19:57
Hellhound! Cheap in points, does its damage and has AV 12 front and side.

senban
17-04-2006, 20:03
Wave serpents with crystal targetting matrixs, hit them at the intersections and watch your tail for land speeders.

god octo
17-04-2006, 20:06
i vote for the basic immolator. cheaper than a hellhound and can move 12in and still fire its twin-linked heavy flamers. ah, the smell of burning heretic!

x-esiv-4c
17-04-2006, 20:08
Demolisher will melt faces.