PDA

View Full Version : Any celebrities in the GW Hobby?

Alex Under
17-04-2006, 11:47
Just wondering the other day, if there are any celebrities (football players, actors, directors, rock stars, whatever...) that play any GW games, may it be fantasy or 40K.

The closest thing I know about this is that Peter Jackson is familiarized with the GW universe but as far as I know, he plays historical games (the Perry twins are making miniatures for his personal use) and maybe LOTR.

Sick
17-04-2006, 11:48
I do play warhammer and I am famous!

question answered? :-)

ArtificerArmour
17-04-2006, 11:52
Robin williams does aparently. Never seen him play though.

Mos
17-04-2006, 12:05
Yeah, apparently Robin Williams is an Orks player, and Billy Crystal is an Eldar player (seriously). From various sources I've heard that Paul Anderson (director of AvP) is a Blood Angels player. Obviously not on the same level of fame as the first few, but I read an article in The Independent about stars guilty secrets, and in it the MTV presenter Alex Zane said he was an avid 40k Collector.

Alex Under
17-04-2006, 12:11
:D I was about to post: "Does Robin Williams really play WH? I'm sure that if he does it's Orks he plays"

Like dogs and owners, you can normally guess what army someone will go for! :D

Alaitoc
17-04-2006, 13:10
I think I've heard somewhere that Vin Dielsel also play 40k...

ArtificerArmour
17-04-2006, 13:33
He plays D'n'D, but i don't think he's geeky enough to play 40K :p

Brandir
17-04-2006, 13:40
This sort of thread seems to come about very frequently.

Anyway, Brian May was in WD a few years ago. He took his son on a tour of GWs old HQ and factory.

Jacques Villeneuve, the BMW F1 driver is a D&D player. Apparently his ex squeeze Dannii Minogue binned him as he would rather play D&D with his mates than play with her. But that is entirely understandable - I hate too would not play with women with those plastic fake comedy boobs. He is also an avid online RPGer.

The.Zocolo
17-04-2006, 14:24
First off the hobby is called 'wargaming' not the 'GW hobby'. I get sick of this type of Games Workshop propaganda.

Second, did you actually read what you just wrote?

Gaebriel
17-04-2006, 15:15
Technically, for those of us who choose only GW, wargaming would be a GW hobby, wouldn't it? :p

These threads usually mention Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones being Warhammer or 40k players, based on them playing during the shooting of Men in Black. I don't know any first-hand account on that though...

N0-1_H3r3
17-04-2006, 15:23
Vin Diesel is, apparently, a 40k player, as well as a D&D player (he's gone on record as stating such several times). It's easy enough to see that the 40k universe inspired him when he created Chronicles of Riddick, even if the execution wasn't great.

And, though not a 40k or WFB player, Mike Myers (he of Wayne's World, Austin Powers, and Saturday Night Live fame) is a former D&D player... one of his SNL characters, ("Lothar, of the Hill People") was loosely based on one of his old D&D characters.

ArtificerArmour
17-04-2006, 15:46
First off the hobby is called 'wargaming' not the 'GW hobby'. I get sick of this type of Games Workshop propaganda.

Firstly, my posting is known as the "tongue in cheek" style.

Secondly, I see you've chosen to post in the "broomstick in ****" style.

Tertiary, who chose your kiddy font?

Alex Under
17-04-2006, 16:36

Mmmm.... I wasn't reffering to which celebs play wargames, I'm sure they're many. I was asking about which celebs play GW games. As you can see, I've posted this thread on "Other GW Discussion".

Don't have to get like that mate, can't imagine how you get when you roll six 1's out of six dice! :p

ArtificerArmour
17-04-2006, 16:39
I thought you was asking about WFB/40K as well...You could rename the thread "wargames made by GW"

Some guy (UK)
17-04-2006, 18:27

Why can't a guy have a sense of humour about himself :eyebrows:

Later, Some Guy

ExquisiteEvil
17-04-2006, 19:07
...the MTV presenter Alex Zane said he was an avid 40k Collector.

LOL - I used to go to school with 'Alex Zane' (real name is Farris Albayati....!!)

Anyway it was him who funnily enough got me into this hobby all them years ago (about 12). I bought a 5 man squad of striking scorpions from him and the rest is history as they say...

Orbital
17-04-2006, 19:42

That's like saying a guy can drink cyanide, but that doesn't make him suicidal enough to eat red meat. :)

Apparently his ex squeeze Dannii Minogue binned him as he would rather play D&D with his mates than play with her. But that is entirely understandable - I hate too would not play with women with those plastic fake comedy boobs.

...and God knows that playing D&D opens up a world of choices where women are concerned. :)

First of all, it's quite reasonable to assume he was asking about GW games... i.e. not Void or War Machine or Napoleonics, etc. etc.

Second... sounds like somebody's grumpy and needs a nap.

thommo
17-04-2006, 20:37
... sounds like somebody's grumpy and needs a nap.

weird...i just said them exact words to my missus......

...which is now why i'm banished to the study on my own on the computer whilst she's downstairs with the cats and my hot food! :(

Jedi152
17-04-2006, 23:17
Meh, plenty of names are always put around: Marilyn Manson, Robin Williams, Will Smith, Vin Diesel, Billy Crystal.

I'm willing to bet all of them are wargaming 'urban legends'.

The.Zocolo
17-04-2006, 23:27
Don't have to get like that mate, can't imagine how you get when you roll six 1's out of six dice! :p

tetchy, very tetchy :D

Second... sounds like somebody's grumpy and needs a nap.

I'm always grumpy :p

Technically, for those of us who choose only GW, wargaming would be a GW hobby, wouldn't it?

Not really, still wargaming just a very small part of it.

Brandir
18-04-2006, 00:01
Stolen from: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art41568.asp

Wil Wheaton, who played Wesley on Star Trek: the Next Generation, is an avid game player. He even wrote a long-running column in Dragon Magazine, which ended just last year. His website makes constant game references, and he actively encourages gaming.

Robin Williams has been cited as a roleplayer and a miniatures player. I canít imagine any GM better at running NPCs. His ability to get into a different character instantly, and his amazing improvisational skills would make him awesome.

Billy Crystal is also known as a roleplayer. Given his work with Robin Williams on Comedy Relief, you wonder if the two of them ever get together to roll some dice. If so, that would be a game Iíd pay money to join.

Steven Colbert of the Daily Show has mentioned that he is an avid roleplayer. He is also a huge fan of Lord of the Rings. He credits his gaming as part of his motivation for going into acting.

Ewan MacGregor, probably best known to gamers as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the Star Wars prequels, has been identified as a gamer. You have to wonder if heís played the Star Wars RPG, and if he prefers D20 or West End Gamesí D6 system.

Director Quentin Tarantino is on the list of celebrity roleplayers. If I could plot and direct action that well, my players would be happy. Or, given the violence of his films, maybe they wouldnít.

Sean Astin, known to us from The Goonies, and more recently as Sam Gamgee from the Lord of the Rings movies, has been identified as roleplayer.

Vin Diesel is a gamer and proud to admit it. He has his D&D characterís name ďMelkorĒ tattooed on his stomach. He has mentioned gaming in interviews, spends huge amounts of money in game stores, and even wrote the foreword for D&Dís 30 Years of Adventure, the coffee-table book Wizards of the Coast produced showcasing D&Dís history.

Female celebrities arenít excluded from the hobby, of course. Jennifer Lopez leads the list in terms of name-recognition, but adult film actress (and member of Mensa) Asia Carrera has fans, too, I hear. Morgan Webb, host of the video game review show X-Play and columnist for FHM magazine, is also a roleplayer.

Without going into a tedious description of all celebrity gaming admissions, others you might have heard of include Bruce Campbell, Dave Chappelle, Jason Alexander, Rivers Cuomo (front man for the band Weezer), John Dolmayan (drummer for System of a Down) and comic actor Johnny Knoxville.

The.Zocolo
18-04-2006, 00:22
So, mostly role players then

Orbital
18-04-2006, 00:24
So, mostly role players then

As a very small aside: Allow me to thank you for not spelling it "roll players". :)

The.Zocolo
18-04-2006, 00:25
's ok, I had a pretty good education.

Way back in the day.

Archaon
18-04-2006, 02:08
Jennifer Lopez?

You've GOT to be kidding me! :eek:

Anyway.. a year or two ago someone posted a picture of Robin Williams together with two guys (GW employees?) inside a GW store in the US.
This is definitive proof that he plays GW games.

neXus6
18-04-2006, 02:15
Roll playing. :p
The real problem is that that still technically works.

ArtificerArmour
18-04-2006, 02:58
I like the phrasing: "has been identified".

Continuous spying is involved, digging the trash for WD.

Zzarchov
18-04-2006, 03:17
I find it hilarious that the guy who played "Mork from Ork" Collects Orks who follow Mork.

Keravin
18-04-2006, 09:34
Peter Jackson had the Perrys make specific figures for him to wargame with.

Brushmonkey
18-04-2006, 09:55
GW urban myth: Robin Williams calls UK Mail Order to order some bits (before US had its own branch). He goes into character as 'Grandfather Nurgle' and half an hour of one staf member pissing himself with laughter...

Would be nice if it were true, but like I say, urban myth.

(Oooh, I called it a GW urban myth at the start, is that ok? There isn't a GW Hobby, so there can't be GW urban myths either...:p )

Pilgrim
18-04-2006, 10:18
As a very small aside: Allow me to thank you for not spelling it "roll players". :)

The sad thing is, though, a lot of people do roll-play, rather than role-play. D&D is the most infamous example, coming in for a lot of flak (at least some of which is justified) for the attitudes of its players.

Steve Jackson games have got a lot of mileage out of this unfortunate phenomenon. :)

Adrian