PDA

View Full Version : Vostroyan fluff thread

Still learning
17-04-2006, 11:26
any one got any vossie fluff? i'm undertakeing a 1500 point army of them (mainy scratch building em from cadians, so far it looks promissing, posting pics ASAP) any 1 got any ideas what there fav weapons are and what things they prefer taking, what planet there from and enviroment thigns like that?

fracas
17-04-2006, 12:04
it is in the latest white dwarf.
the key fluff element is that during the Horus heresy they decided to stick at home inorder to continue manufacturing war supply rather than to send men to fight and die. As penence, they have to submit all their first borns (sons?) to form IG regiments. Thus there are always Vossies regiments being formed. Being a mech world, i supposed they should be reasonably well equiped.

Still learning
18-04-2006, 01:31
ah thats sounds asome

gathering_darkness
18-04-2006, 14:17
if they are so well equipped how come there weapons appear to be partly made of wood? ANd the carapace armour is basically padded chainmail, with what appears to be a chestplate.

Still, cool idea that they are performing penance

Outlaw289
18-04-2006, 20:04
if they are so well equipped how come there weapons appear to be partly made of wood? ANd the carapace armour is basically padded chainmail, with what appears to be a chestplate.

Perhaps a facility of Adepta Biologis is on the planet as well and has a huge tree colony. Maybe they use wood fittings for their weapons and then use the surplus metal to make more bombs and bullets

Some guy (UK)
18-04-2006, 21:17

Apparently, this is just how the Eavy metal Vostorians were painted- I.e. the wood effect was painted on. Whether this is actually because Vostorian regiments use wood on their weapons, or whether the eavy metal team thought it was 'cool' is something I don't know.

Later, Some Guy

Loricatus
18-04-2006, 21:51
I've seen them painted (by Dave Taylor), and they look very good in person. And indeed, the stocks are not textured themselves... you'll need to paint the wood grain yourself.

Snakebite
27-07-2006, 06:33
The idea of the weapons having wooden stocks is that they are supposed to look ornate. It's GW's way of getting across the fact that Vostroyan weaponry supplied to the Firstborn regiments is supposed to be of the highest quality. Rather than mass produced lasguns that would be used by Cadians, Catachans, etc., Vostroyan weapons are implied to be made individually with as much care and attention as is possible.

any 1 got any ideas what there fav weapons are and what things they prefer taking, what planet there from and enviroment thigns like that?

The clue is in the title! They're from the planet Vostroya - an arctic world that is little more than a giant weapons factory. GW haven't indicated what their favoured weapons are so you have free reign in that regard.

Thus there are always Vossies regiments being formed.

Not strictly true. There are a finite number of Vostroyan Regiments in service. Each time a "regiment" is raised, they are sent to reinforce existing regiments.

InquisitorRex
27-07-2006, 07:44
Just to clarify what has already been alluded to:

Vostroyan Weapons are (by Imperial Guard standards) individual master pieces. The citizenry of Vostroya are required to give a tithe (10%) of their time to maintaining their regiments as part of their penance. There are specially devoted workshops for this specific task and they take the labour very seriously, since they are arming their brothers, sons etc.

If you imagine the mass-produced junk that the Imperial Guard are normally supplied with, the Vostroyan stuff is just superior - so good that the Regiments in the field go to great lengths to recover the wargear of fallen comrades, so that it can be passed on to new recruits.

Yep... Vostroyans are cool, a highly elite warrior fraternity - armed to the best standards the Imperial Guard can manage.

It's all covered in WD 317 (and not, as the WD Data-base says, written by Mat Ward).

Adam

general trooper
21-03-2007, 19:46
Okay.....THE TRUTH During the time of the horus herersy the emporer called for evrey person to join him to fight horus, when his order came to vostroya the govoners ect, said that giving up soldiers would decreace thiere weapon production. And thus disobeyd the order. When the emporer beat horous one of his primarches ruburt gulliman oversaw the task himself to 'tell them off'. The govoners then orderd for evry firstborn son to join the vostroyan firstborn. Evry weapon is proffetionally made with wooden stocks but that is not always the case AND every soldier in the regimant is considerd a veteran and errrrrr..............there cool so there.:angel: my spelling is very bad i know :( :cries:

precinctomega
21-03-2007, 19:56
What in heaven's name made you want to resurrect a thread that was almost 8 months old??

R.

The-Traveller
22-03-2007, 01:17
The fact that this is the best thread ev-ar....

I was reading it and it seemed so familiar, now I know why...

The Vossies True Backstory: They're mutants, they all have these weird fuzzy tumors that inexplicably grow out of their heads.

Iceheart2112
22-03-2007, 06:58
They got massacred at Polia in the Nimbosa system.

khyron
25-12-2008, 00:40
2nd thread resurrection.

Starting a Vostroyan army soon, thought I'd come to discuss their fluff a bit. I don't have their WD article, so I'm going to have to rely on those that do.

Considering their association with Mars, Tech Priest Enginseers would fit in perfectly. Hopefully they're still in the upcoming codex, or, even better, they get a point drop. I like the idea of mortars in a Vostroyan army, too. I'll probably field a few squads of them.

But what do yall think about the role of the Ecclisiarchy in a Vostroyan force? Are they ever described in the fluff article as being fanatically religious? The thought of a Preacher and a few Arco-flagellants interests me, but I'm not sure how fluffy it would be.

nagash66
25-12-2008, 01:12
Read Rebel winter and you will be given a clear idea on how a Vossie regiment is and what elements compose it

khyron
25-12-2008, 01:51
Thanks a lot. I checked out the excerpt from it, not a bad read. Seems they've got Priests and Commissars inspiring the troops.

Perfect, then...as I always wanted to use the Confessor Kyrinov model in a Guard army.

kylsnik ironhead
25-12-2008, 20:51
Uh when a Vostroyan completes his training and before he gets shipped out he's given a little bit of money and told to go out and get laid

madprophet
28-12-2008, 02:21
Check out http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Vostroyan_Firstborn for more on the Vostroyan Fluff