PDA

View Full Version : How would you represent Tu'Shan?

Forsworn
12-11-2011, 18:54
Okay, so I'm thinking of making a model based on the Chapter Master of the Salamanders (to lead my Crusade army). Looking through, I find no information on his wargear. The only things I know for sure is that he HAS to have artificer armor. The rest of it is a mystery.

I'm just curious if there are any depictions of him in the fluff, and if so, what are they?

PS. as an added question: can Stormbolters use the special ammo of Sternguard?

At the moment my army shall be led by Tu'Shan and the Salamanders (they'll be the most numerous units), and include forces from many Chapters (the list so far is Iron hands, Salamanders, Dark Angels, Blood Ravens, White Consuls, and I want to add 2 Chapters (love the Raven Guard, but they might be confused with Iron hands :( ). I calculated it, and it'd give me 2 units per Chapter that way, which seems like it'd be pretty good (with full FoC).

Chem-Dog
12-11-2011, 19:14
Okay, so I'm thinking of making a model based on the Chapter Master of the Salamanders (to lead my Crusade army). Looking through, I find no information on his wargear. The only things I know for sure is that he HAS to have artificer armor. The rest of it is a mystery.

Actually, as Captain of the 1st Co, I'd be inclined to say he'd be in Terminator Armour. It's a largely thematic issue and I'm sure 1st Captain/Chapter Masters can wear both (Calgar does) but I'd certainly go for TDA.

PS. as an added question: can Stormbolters use the special ammo of Sternguard?

Nope. Bolters and the bolter component of a Combiweapon, nothing else.

++EDIT. Nothing in the Codex allows you to take Sternguard Ammo as a standard upgrade but if you were looking to do a little bit of home-brewing, there's no real reason why you couldn't. It might be a little tricky to effectively cost up, but it's do-able.

If you want to overload on Salamanders themed weapon go with a Bolter/Melta Combiweapon and a Thunderhammer as a basic load out. Or go for a Relic Sword and imagine it's the weapon forged in his competition with the Emperor.

strongbow
12-11-2011, 19:39
Tu'shan is a chapter master. Therefore he has pick of the armoury.

That means you can kit him up however you like! :D

You could use Marneus Calgar, Pedro Kantor or even Vulkan He'stan as counts as, or you could make a general chapter master.

In the background I've heard that he has had a hammer or a sword before - if you wanted to make it more strict to the fluff. I'll be honest with you I'm not entirely sure. From what I've heard different sources say different things. In the Black Library Games Day anthology he had a hammer, that I know for certain.

As has already been said you can make up rules for him too :).

Kenzaburo
12-11-2011, 19:56
uhm, chem-dog, you do know that the captain of the 1st doesn't equal the chapter master, right? as far as i know, neither agemman, nor lysander, nor belial are masters of their repsective chapters. but i agree, most chapter masters should be clad in TDA, always made more sense to me. in that way i always thought it was funny that azrael chose power armor to run around in. especially since all members of the deathwing wear TDA and he's kind of the overall head of the inner circle/deathwing.

Glenn87
12-11-2011, 21:41
I'd say either Artificer armour OR Terminator Armour.
Thunder Hammer, and Combi-Melta
(altought a Power Sword could work).

If they ever release some rules for him, I guess he'll have some special Tsu'shan-only stuff.

Ow, and don't forget to master-craft all of his gear!!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
12-11-2011, 22:06
I'd say either Artificer armour OR Terminator Armour.

I don't think anyone was suggesting giving him both. It would be a bit superfluous me thinks.

Glenn87
12-11-2011, 22:08
I don't think anyone was suggesting giving him both. It would be a bit superfluous me thinks.

No No :D didn't think that :D
I was just saying the stuff I would give him as an answer to the OP (and not adding to the rest) :)

sorry if that was unclear

Kurisu313
12-11-2011, 22:18
uhm, chem-dog, you do know that the captain of the 1st doesn't equal the chapter master, right?

Actually, for the Salamanders it does. They see Vulkan as their spiritual Chapter Master, and the Captain of the first company acts in a custodian role, should he return.

Chem-Dog
12-11-2011, 22:31
uhm, chem-dog, you do know that the captain of the 1st doesn't equal the chapter master, right? as far as i know, neither agemman, nor lysander, nor belial are masters of their repsective chapters

In the Salamanders the Role of "Chapter Master" IS held by the First Captain.
I wonder though if Agemman and Lysander have Power Armour suits available (even if just for ceremonial duty). Belial doesn't count anyway because the Deathwing is far to divergent from the Codex standard to be a reasonable comparison.

Actually, for the Salamanders it does. They see Vulkan as their spiritual Chapter Master, and the Captain of the first company acts in a custodian role, should he return.

Yep, 1st Co are Vulkan's personal Honour Guard and their captain is his Regent.

Kenzaburo
12-11-2011, 22:45
fascinating. didn't know that. i stand corrected, gentlemen. :)

Forsworn
13-11-2011, 02:21
Well, the Tome of Fire trilogy shows that the Firedraks will often deploy in Power Armor if the situation calls for it (such as moments where mobility and stealth might play a role).

Do Vengeance rounds work with any bolt weapon? Or just the boltgun (whoever thought that idea should be shot, sincerly The Deathwatch book).

Artificer Armor, Relic Blade, Digital Weapons, Combi-Flamer w/ Auxiliary Grenade Launcher and Vengeance Rounds.

Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer x2. This would be his "honoring Vulkan". He already has a 4++ save, so taking the Storm Shield isn't all that big an increase. At only 5 points more, I'll take the extra attack over the +1 Invulnerable Save. (If that's not possible, I'll take the same ranged weapon as above).

I'm leaning more towards the first set-up. That one would come with a Firedrake Honor Guard including a Champion w/ Thunder Hammer, and a bunch of Grenade Launchers and a Relic Blade or two. The second one would come with a Terminator Honor Guard with at least one Heavy Flamer.

Dr.Clock
13-11-2011, 04:43
I often use Lysander in my Sallies force. I'd say he fits the bill for Tu'Shan.

Remember, Sallies used to have access to wargear that would allow something similar to Eternal Warrior.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

AlphariusOmegon20
13-11-2011, 13:18
In the recent Nocturne book by Nick Kyme, He was wearing the equivalent of Artificer and carrying a T hammer.

I'd start there.

Fixer
13-11-2011, 14:06
I have my Tu'Shan conversion here based on the Gamesday special edition captain with hammer. You can still find those guys on ebay all the time.

http://www.perfect-design.co.uk/miniatures/tushan.jpg

As for rules? Lyansander. The only rules that seem appropriate. Have to have an opponent happy to accept that the cloak is the equivalent of Terminator armour and a storm shield and to accept his smaller base size though :)

Dr.Clock
14-11-2011, 06:24
Or just put him on a larger base?

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

xxRavenxx
14-11-2011, 09:52
I have my Tu'Shan conversion here based on the Gamesday special edition captain with hammer.

You seem to be mistaken. People in the future are either Caucasian or Charcoal Black :p Your guy seems to be of the long extinct "Negro" decent...

Fixer
14-11-2011, 09:56
Or just put him on a larger base?

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

After all that time I spent on the Lava base? not on your life good sir :)

You seem to be mistaken. People in the future are either Caucasian or Charcoal Black :p Your guy seems to be of the long extinct "Negro" decent...

That's not true! The guy with the visor from the scouts box set is always painted up as Geordie LeForge.

I'm sticking with 3rd edition colour scheme Salamanders as I have done since Codex: Armageddon. Charcoal black skin just looks like you got lazy and haven't painted the faces after undercoating ;)

AlphariusOmegon20
14-11-2011, 14:24
After all that time I spent on the Lava base? not on your life good sir :)

That's not true! The guy with the visor from the scouts box set is always painted up as Geordie LeForge.

I'm sticking with 3rd edition colour scheme Salamanders as I have done since Codex: Armageddon. Charcoal black skin just looks like you got lazy and haven't painted the faces after undercoating ;)

LOL I used to think that way until recently.

I then realized that is a retcon I can accept as plausible.

Besides, they do look good that way if you do them right.

neapolitan-guard
18-11-2011, 05:28
if you use marneus calgars rules, he can have power armour or terminator armour. the fists can be twin hammers and lug a storm bolter around on his back. besides the fact that shooting and cc attacks get re-rolls to wound.

sounds salamandery to me.

AlphariusOmegon20
18-11-2011, 14:10
if you use marneus calgars rules, he can have power armour or terminator armour. the fists can be twin hammers and lug a storm bolter around on his back. besides the fact that shooting and cc attacks get re-rolls to wound.

sounds salamandery to me.

Nothing irks me more than to see someone trying to shoehorn a different SC in a Sallie army.

You can use the normal chapter master and his options to represent Tu'shan easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demoulius
18-11-2011, 21:01
Hmmm arent sallies good with hammers? And master artificers? Or somesuch?

Arty armour, double T-hammer. If you take Vulcan they become master crafted to! w00t! :D

That actually would be one AWESOME model and not something I would like to be in combat with :evilgrin: add a shoulder mounted (ala predator) auxillary greade launcher just so he has a shooting attack as well :)

Dang... Now I want to convert that character :cries:

Chem-Dog
18-11-2011, 21:44
add a shoulder mounted (ala predator) auxillary greade launcher just so he has a shooting attack as well :)

Wrist mounted ;)