PDA

View Full Version : So Much Customizability, So little in the kit?

Requiet
13-11-2011, 17:33
Ok I don't know if this is the right place to post this or if I am even allowed to ask this here, but does anyone know what comes inside of the cryptek kit? A lot of the new GW stuff seems more and more vague about what it is coming with and I'm looking into starting the new necrons but I don't know if it is even worth buying a one of model 10 times without even having options for it that wont take a lot of my green stuff and time. I love separate modeling but that's why I have nids, I was just wondering if I was going to have to scratch build a lot of those weapons options or if it actually came with a couple things other than an empty hand and an orb hand....

So has anyone bought any of the new crypteks yet? Are they worth it?

Aluinn
13-11-2011, 18:04
If you want 10 of them, you'd be paying an insane price to buy them individually. I can't tell you exactly what options they have because I'm converting all of mine for that very reason, but I do know that they come with an empty hand, a staff arm, and an alternative hand with a funky looking device in it that could represent really any of their esoteric wargear. I believe those are the only options and that there's only one head and one body.

But I wanted to post in order to suggest some conversions, because, again, regardless of an alternate arm or whatever, 10 are going to look very samey and cost you a fortune. Fortunately, there's an easier and cheaper way to do it:

1. Start with a box of Deathmarks/Immortals; assemble them as Deathmarks but without the guns.

2. Assuming you have also bought some Lychguard/Praetorians, you can take spare hands and even arms if you want from that kit to attach to the Deathmarks. The left Deathmark/Immortal arms are still perfectly useful for this conversion because they aren't attached to the weapon hands, though, and if you need to use the right arms it is possible to cut away the Immortal guns and just have an arm plus a fist.

3. Make the shaft of a staff somehow. You can use third-party brass or plastic rods, or, if you assembled the aforementioned Lychguard/Praetorians without either warscythes or rods of covenant, you can use the shafts of those. Personally I actually cut away the barrel of the Deathmark's rifle to make the top half because I thought it made a cool looking eldritch lance; there are lots of options here.

5. Attach your staff shaft to (one of) the empty hands you've used, unless you're using the staves from the Praetorians straight-up. If you're using some sort of generic rod, I recommend drilling a hole through one of the hands to hold it (they're almost all fists anyway).

4. Use the tops of the rods of covenant as your staff top if the Cryptek in question has a staff weapon (most do). If you haven't used the shaft from the same model, you'll have to clip off the attachment bit, but this is easy. This can be painted in a color that corresponds to the Cryptek's discipline in order to differentiate them. Alternatively, you could snip the little bars that stick out from these in order to make them look different, or make different tops out of any random techy-looking bits from Necron kits.

5. Profit!

I wish GW had made this a lot easier by actually putting full extra sets of arms/hands for each weapon in the Lychguard/Praetorians, but they only have 3 arms per model and you'll have used two of them, so you have to fiddle around with finding extra hands, but it's still a fairly quick conversion and looks better IMO than the official Cryptek anyway.

EDIT: Tried to add some clarifications about the arm/hand issue; it's easier than it sounds but there can be a lot of clipping involved. You could get around this by cannibalizing an entire box of Praetorians/Lychguard for their staff arms, but that pretty much doubles the cost to $66 US for 5 Crypteks.

Requiet
13-11-2011, 18:39
Awesome thanks so much man, I figured theyd have some tiny amount, but I really appreciate your help, I think Im going to make some cloaks use warriors as the base and do exactly what you said with the arms, thanks again :)

Daemonia
13-11-2011, 23:21
I'm with Aluinn on this one for sure. Hell any excuse to use Deathmark models is a good excuse :P

rocdocta
14-11-2011, 06:40
In australia i looked at the USD $28 per cryp and then the USD$55 for 5 praet etc and thought converto here i come! the praets have a lot of options so all is good there too. the cryp have no options.