PDA

View Full Version : Malal

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
17-04-2006, 14:38
Hello all, sorry I've been away for a while. Now most of you will remember my khornate chaos lizzies. Now I've decided it would be MUCH more interesting if I used malal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malal) for their chosen diety. Now I need your help. If ANYONE know anything about malal (besides whats in that article) I would be most grateful.

Rathgar
17-04-2006, 15:01
Doing a Malalite army is tricky. You’re best bet is to have a Doomed One as the general (complete with nifty black and white paintjob) who has duped a bunch of foolish fools into following him.

The Renegade doesn’t go in for mass cults.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
17-04-2006, 19:15
Rathgar, Here is the old thread for my khorne chaos lizards.http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24241&highlight=gyulkus+the+red I'll repaint him of course.

I was thinking of using the big guy here http://privateerpress.com/HORDES/default.php?x=world/legion as my giant and or a chaos spawn. What do ya think?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
17-04-2006, 22:36
*Drills his eyes in frustration*

Malal is not a Chaos God. Nothing has been mentioned of him for several years. Get over yourself. Or the Zoat riding Pygmy Chaos Squats will get you in your sleep!

Hashut's Li'l Helper
17-04-2006, 23:53
Hey mad doc, get over yourself. He is allowed, no encouraged, to theme his army any way he finds interesting. Someone on this board has themed an angelic legion DL list. Last I heard angels were never mentioned in the GW fluff. Are the thought police really that active?

Finnblood
18-04-2006, 06:37
Allright, I'm a little confused now. So are these Lizardmen using chaos fluff, or Chaos using lizardmen models?

Griefbringer
18-04-2006, 08:15
Last I heard angels were never mentioned in the GW fluff.

Actually, they are in the 3rd edition rulebook.

As for Malal himself, I would recommend moving the discussion to the background forum.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
18-04-2006, 21:23
Sorry Finnblood should have specified. They are chaos using lizardmen models.

athamas
18-04-2006, 22:19
hmm could be interesting, use kroxigor as your champions, they are small in number, and rather hard..

that would make a rather good giant i think, a good choce, looks nasty!

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
18-04-2006, 23:23
I actually have a saurus oldblood Daemon Prince as my champion. A Kroxigor champion would be cool too, Great idea athamas, I think I'll use that! Only problem with this army is all the white I have to paint.

shadowprince
19-04-2006, 02:29
Malal is too a chaos god but I got what twenty pages of this argument over in background board. I am actually working on converting my high to survivors of the Storm of chaos who pledged to rid chaos and Malal is helping them with the goal. My champion is a completly unique elf, who is takeing an extreme amount of work.

The old blood should be tight good luck.

Go to the modelng board for tis they deffintly k now their stuff.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
19-04-2006, 03:40
I already posted some pics of the oldblood(though he is now repainted), I posted a link earlier in this thread. One quick question, does malal mutate?

Morathi's Darkest Sin
19-04-2006, 07:52
Malal was mentioned in one of the BL Chaos short story books I read a little while ago as well, only a passing mention, but it was there.

So I'd say he's certainly current, if a very Rare occurance in the Warhammer world.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
19-04-2006, 21:11
Which book would that be MDS? It's illegal for GW to directly mention malal, how old is this book?

prince olthin
20-04-2006, 18:43
ok who the heck is malal? and you should be able to theme your army however you want even if you stray away from GW material. Can't coment more cose I have not a clue who Malal is.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
20-04-2006, 18:59
Laughter of the Dark Gods, page 21 in first short story.. right at the bottom of the page.

Mentions the Character fighting the followers of the renegade God Malal.

Reabe
20-04-2006, 19:37
ok who the heck is malal? and you should be able to theme your army however you want even if you stray away from GW material. Can't coment more cose I have not a clue who Malal is.

A "5th" Chaos God. Basically, he represents the self-destructiveness of Chaos. He and his followers work towards destroying Chaos. GW used to include him in a couple of comics but they never got the legal copyright of it so he belonged the the artist. When the artist left, so did Malal.

Chuffy
20-04-2006, 19:41

Well done for reading the first post.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
20-04-2006, 20:38
Prince olthin- Click on the link in my first post.

prince olthin
21-04-2006, 12:30
woops, really sorry guys :(

Chuckaroobob
21-04-2006, 20:47
I've still got my Kaleb Daark figs, I always wished GW could've done more with this background fluff.

shadowprince
22-04-2006, 02:31
he unofficaily exsists pretty much, just is no longer included in any of the new fluff. its a shame he is the only interesting chaos god in my opinion.

Lord of Change
06-07-2006, 15:07
Does anyone know the story about Malal and Kaleb Daark. Are there any miniatures?

Sleazy
06-07-2006, 15:09
yeah, search on Google for the story, there are no minis and he isnt reagrded as part of the whole universe anymore. (tho i'm sure he was mentioned in a Inferno strip a few years ago).

Basically a Chaos god who exists as the Anti-chaos.

Lord of Change
06-07-2006, 15:12
other than kaleb daark, are there any other figures for the malal theme?

Metafizikal
06-07-2006, 16:44
Theres a SM colour scheme in the latest chaos codex, the sons of malice or something, and they have the split colour scheme... oh malal lives on... just in his true undercover fashion

Lord of Change
07-07-2006, 16:38
what about rules for kaleb?

Viskrit
07-07-2006, 19:10
I dislike Malal.. not my cup of tea. But I'm also one of those who dislike the exaggerated focus on Chaos.

shadowprince
10-07-2006, 08:01
Agree with the exaggerated focus on Choas but disagree on the Malal at least he is different

Sleazy
10-07-2006, 14:17
pretty good summary

Malal
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Malal is the renegade 5th Chaos God in early editions of the fictional universes of Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000

In the storyline, both for Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000, Malal was exiled from the rest of the Chaos gods, but whether this was a self-imposed exile is not clear. Regardless of the reason, Malal lives only to destroy the other gods and their followers in the name of revenge. Also known as "The Outcast God", "The Lost God" and "The Renegade God", Malal represents Chaos' indiscriminate tendency toward destruction, even of itself. The nature of Malal's powers are parasitic, as the Renegade God grows in power when the others do. The god's sacred number is 11, while his symbol is a skull bisected down the middle, one half white, one half black. Malal is the god that the lower classes turn to to avenge themselves on the higher classes who attempt to strangle and stop them from their true glory. He is also the god of those who have been wronged, but lack the power to correct this. His followers come from people whose hatred of Chaos becomes so strong, that they willingly bond with Chaos to fight it at its own level.

Malal is described as being both wolf-like and crocodilian in appearance, yet still holding a humanoid form. Said to have 6 fingers on each hand, and 3 eyes on his head, Malal is also said to have sets of teeth that resemble lions, sharks, cows, and rats.

The concept of the 5th Chaos god "Malal" was created by comic artists Wagner and Grant along with the creation of Malal's champion for the Warhammer Fantasy world, Kaleb Daark, in the Citadel Miniatures Journals for Spring 1986 and 1987. In the comics, Kaleb Daark would destroy the followers of the other 4 Chaos gods (Nurgle, Tzeentch, Khorne, and Slaanesh) with his daemon axe "Dreadaxe" that had the axe head of what resembled a shark, and a shaft of bone. The animate axe, a gift from Malal, experienced hunger and would feed on the souls of the victims of its edge. The Battle cry of Kaleb Daark was "Dreadaxe thirsts for you!".

Use of Malal in further Games Workshop productions was halted, as Games Workshop did not own the intellectual property to the concept of Malal - the comic's authors did.

The memory of Malal did not die with the ability for Games Workshop to use it. The idea of Malal is continued on by veterans of the Warhammer scene primarily through the internet via BBS (bulletin board system) and stories (such as "Divine Judgment") so Malal continues to survive, occasionally becoming the choice deity of veteran players playing Chaos. Because of Games Workshops' inability to legally use the god in their Games' storyline, Malal is surrounded by a cloud of unanswerable questions that may very well be the cause of his continued existence.

The term "Doomed Ones" also go along with Malal, although there is uncertainty how exactly. Doomed Ones are often thought to be the chosen human champions of Malal, however in the old Realm of Chaos Slaves to Darkness rulebook the Doomed Ones were the daemonic entities of Malal and are described as "bipedal lizard daemons that stand almost a head taller than a human" and had "soulblades" which were "forged from the soul of burning hatred taken from a Witchhunter that died fighting a Daemon". It is widely thought, however, that Malal has no daemons of his own.

In Games Workshop's Chaos Space Marine Codex, a number of references were made that many feel to be an attempt by Games Workshop to legally bring back the idea of Malal, or to remind players that perhaps the company has not forgotten about the Outcast God. The two widely recognized references were the appearance of a daemon weapon you could give to your leaders called a "Dreadaxe", explained further in the caption that it was used to kill other daemonic entities.

The other reference was to a picture towards the back of the codex, showing other possible painting schemes for the models. One of the examples was a group entitled the "Sons of Malice". What caught many people's attention was that the colors used were the bisecting black/white design of Malal's symbol, and how Malice was just a short jump to Malal. More on the Sons of Malice was in Games Workshop monthly publication White Dwarf, specifically White Dwarf 303(US WD 302). In it the Sons of Malice were supposedly prone to fighting in complete silence, and were excommunicated for a set of disgusting rituals that were reported close to cannibalism. This article did nothing to stem the questions about the connection between Malal and the Sons of Malice. At the very end of a passage, it was mentioned that the Sons of Malice also fight against other followers of Chaos frequently; also whoever the ritual was done in the name of in the story was never revealed.

In Warhammer Fantasy some speculate that Be'Lakor, the Dark Master, the Greater Daemon of Chaos Undivided, who was introduced in the Storm of Chaos campaign is Games Workshop's attempt to bring back the idea of Malal to the Fantasy game. Be'Lakor was first introduced in Games Workshop's Mordheim line (set some five hundred years before the more recent events in the Warhammer game) as the enigmatic "Shadowlord", before his history was elaborated upon over the course of the Albion and Storm of Chaos worldwide campaigns.

Malal is not the only version of an additional Chaos god, at least in the fantasy world of Warhammer. In The Enemy Within campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, Something Rotten in Kislev, Zuvassin the Great Undoer and Necoho the Doubter were introduced as two renegade Chaos deities - but not specifically as number five and six. Also, the Chaos Dwarf god, Hashut the Farther of Darkness, is said to be a creature that fled from the powers of Chaos. Games Workshop wrote more than once that there are more than four Chaos Gods and that a continuity of power existed from mundane daemons to greater ones up to the God status. Numbering of Chaos Gods has yet to be agreed upon by scholars.

Sleazy
10-07-2006, 14:28
oops, didnt read the first post properly.

sorry dudes

Lord of Change
10-07-2006, 14:41
Ive decided to start a Malalite army, although im not sure on a paint scheme. i know the logo, but what a bout the rest of the model. also, are there any rules?

Chaos and Evil
10-07-2006, 15:40
*Drills his eyes in frustration*

Malal is not a Chaos God. Nothing has been mentioned of him for several years. Get over yourself. Or the Zoat riding Pygmy Chaos Squats will get you in your sleep!

Get over yourself!

Having a little imagination is normally looked upon as a good thing!

shadowprince
10-07-2006, 22:48
his colors are bblack and white, the symbol is a black and white skull. there are no Malal rules so just go undevided.

Lord of Change
11-07-2006, 12:37
cheers shadowprince

Sleazy
11-07-2006, 12:40
his colors are bblack and white, the symbol is a black and white skull. there are no Malal rules so just go undevided.

so kinda a Newcastle United thing happening there? (black and white, used to be someone, now largely forgotten, havent won a game in years).