PDA

View Full Version : 1st 3k WOC list for 8th edition

zielonkak
14-11-2011, 00:18
Hey everyone, this is my first attempt at a 3k list in 8th edition...C&C are welcomed....

Chaos Lord-
MOT, Tal of Preservation, obsidian blade, shield, Barded Steed...349

Festus-.................................................. ..........................185

Exalted Hero-
MOT, BSB, Tal of Endurance, Shield........................................180

Chaos sorcer-
Power Familar, scroll............................................ ................135

Chaos sorcer-
MOT, Lv2, Book of secrets........................................... .........165

CORE:

Marauders (40)
FC, GW,MOK............................................ ........................250

Marauders (40)
FC, GW, MOK............................................... ....................250

Hounds (5)............................................... .........................30

hounds (5)............................................... ..........................30

Chaos Warriors (25)
MOT, Shield, FC, Blasted Standard.........................................4 90

SPECIAL:

Chosen (20)
MON, halbreds, FC,Banner of Rage.........................................495

Chaos knights (9)
FC,MON............................................ ................................440

2999/3000
149 models

Basic Idea is Lord is with the knights, Festus is with the Chosen, BSB is with the warriors and the sorceres are with the marauders....What do you guys think?

mo-man
14-11-2011, 10:53
I'd personally give the knights banner of rage and then give the Chosen the banner of any double counts/roll of a 1 as insane courage. That way your lord get's more attacks so more ignoring armour save shinadigans.
I know it might go against what you want for your lord but im assuming you want him to do as much damage as possible in combat so if that's the case why not give him MoK let him ride a juggernaut give him the sword of bloodshed (3attacks) helm of many eye's (always strike first but with stupidty) and talisman of protection(6+ ward) that way he has 8 attacks, re-rolling to him against most thing's, 1+ armour 6+ ward plus 2 attacks from his mount and then a stomp attack from his mount. That's 11 attacks at str 5 basically.

zielonkak
14-11-2011, 20:13
i normally go for all out blood shed, but i was trying out a some what defensive standpoint with the lord....i feel that the 1+ AS and the 3+ward would be super depressing for my opponents....normally i run my lord on a manticore...it is so fun and it only costs around 5-550 points...tech him out with the beast and he kills everything....

Morax
15-11-2011, 15:17
You will find that in 8th the lord on manticore dies much more quickly then before. Or I should say his manticore dies much more quickly and then he is walking the rest of the game.

I think you have spent too many points on characters and cavalry as both of these do not function as they did in 7th. It is often a part of the learning curve of the 7th-8th transition. Also there are magical items that do not work as they once did. Overall I would say that your choices made in the core are great, very much in line with 8th edition WoC, and the cosen work great but need some protection, this is usually found in the 4+ ward save they can get through the eye of the gods table. The rest of your list needs a hard look at what you are trying to accomplish as most lists will take your 800 point unit of knights and bog them down for the whole game so they accomplish nothing.

zielonkak
15-11-2011, 18:59
You would be surprised, ive played a bunch of 2000 pt games in 8th and the manticore has only died once, and it was mostly due to an empire gun line list. But i know what you mean...
with the chosen, they have a 5+ regen due to festus, and i was sort of counting on eye of gods table for some help too. I would think that the lord leading the knights would be for hitting the sides of units or taking on certain tough things. having them like 5 wide with a lord in the front gives like 20 attacks with the champ, and even the steeds...every turn, so they should due some damage. i also see what your saying with the characters...i think im going to take out last sorcer and add a warshrine with MOT...ive yet to try one...so with the extra points im going to add MOT to the other sorcer....what you think?

Morax
15-11-2011, 19:34
The problem with asecond rank of knights is that you are paying a premium for the extra attack and a horse at strength 4. You lose both of these from the second rank. A formation of chaos knights should be 7-8 wide to maximise the models in combat for additional hitting power. Formed that wide, without a character, you are getting 28-32 strength 5 attacks and 14-16 strength 4 attacks with mark of khorne. That can break steadfast if given enough time but you then have a unit costing around 400 points designed to take out chaff. A bit much if you ask me. A unit of 5 will kill the chaff leaving your infantry armed with halberds to kill the important stuff. The points you save pays for a warshrine which is huge.

The difference 1000 points makes is huge for the manticore. Armies like bretonians, tombkings, and Orcs will now have more stone thowers that will be targeting your lord as well. The empire can afford 3 cannons at this point level and it doesn't even phase them or make it a true gunline. Games at 3k make monsterous mounts more a liability then a boon.

A note on Warshrines. Great for tarpits and guarding flanks. But best of all is their ability to buff units like the chosen and chaos warriors. After you get the hang of using them you will never leave home without them. Just becareful which units they go after as they can't hold down too many elites but large blocks of chaff will be stuck for a long while.

mo-man
15-11-2011, 19:43
just to let you know the horses don't count as being frenzied unless it states in their rules that they are frenzied. And as MoK give's you frenzy.

zielonkak
15-11-2011, 19:46
i see what you mean...i would most likely not use the maticore in a game bigger then 2k....i also see what you mean with the knights...i will cut them down to 7 and with the extra points, i will go khorne....maybe add a chariot also...