PDA

View Full Version : Battleforce boxes

Harky
17-04-2006, 18:15
Hello!

Recently while browsing through the GW web store I started callculating the worth of the individual battleforce boxes from each race, since some do not have the "you save an amazing X pounds!" and some of the savings I got were quite amazing, like the Tyranid Battleforce which is 4 boxes piled into one saves you 26 pounds (by my calculation) and the Tau battleforce saves you a similar amount. Could this be a growing trend of GW to make these boxes a much bigger bargain then they were before? The Space marine box saves you only 8 pounds for instance.

Sigma
17-04-2006, 18:18
It's true, some of the Battleforces are actually a pretty good deal. As you mentioned, the Tyranid one is the first that comes to mind as particularly good. So good, in fact, I bought two of them:)

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there are definately some that are less heavy on the savings. This could be due to the fact that, as I've heard a few times, many of the boxed sets are composed and priced more on in-game power level and points cost, rather than amount of plastic. I'm not sure if this is true, but it could be a reasonable explanation.

I mean, a Tyranid army will, almost always unless it's an elite swarm or godzilla list, have much, much more models required than a Space Marine army. By this reasoning, it would only make sense to give the Nid players a battleforce with considerably more models.

Then again, I could certainly be entirely off on this one;)

TWB
17-04-2006, 18:23
One box, less cardboard used, less cellophane, less shipping and less shelf space :D. The newer Battleforce boxes do seem to be worthwhile and deffinitely value for money. Hopefully it's a trend, I'd be interested to see the savings you've worked out for each of the Battleforce Boxes.

t-tauri
17-04-2006, 18:31
According to someone in the know at GW (Gav?) one of the major expenses for GW is that of actually putting the sprues into boxes. Since it's all done by hand then the cost savings of packing a battleforce rather than four separate boxes are apparently pretty large. Plus as TWB mentions there are all the other savings as well.

Some of the older Battleforces are less cost effective as they include the ruins and jungle trees which aren't much use to the veteran. There are a few of the Fantasy battalion boxes which give parts of unit boxes and reduce the savings slightly.

They're largely a good deal and I'm keen on them.

cerealkiller195
17-04-2006, 18:45
yes they all do have good values, just some are better off than others. If you get them at a discount its almost astronomical!

i know that i will be getting the catachan battle force which has:\

Catachans x25 = $31
Sentinels x2 = $50 - $75
Heavy Weapon Teams x3 = $35

all for $90, or $72 after discount! Hell even the trees are useful as they can be put on bases and on hills

erion
17-04-2006, 18:52
The new Tau Battleforce is crazy.
Basically you're getting 2 Regiment Boxes, a Transport, A Crisis Suit and a three-pack of Stealthsuits for the cost of the Two regiment boxes and the Crisis Suit. It's a savings in the neighborhood of 40%

frod
17-04-2006, 18:54
There's no doubt about pricing according to points cost, compare the number of sprues and quantity of numbers you get in a tactical marines box to what you get in a terminator set 2.5 sprues in a tactical set as opposed to 2 sprues in a terminator set yet the terminators cost arround 1.4 times the price of the tactical set, there is no excuse for such pricing except greed on the part of GW, it's even more noticable if you compare across different ranges such as WH and 40K

Kjell
17-04-2006, 19:06
Actually, it is more correct to say that GW prices items based on how many copies of said item they are likely to sell. Incidentally, the models that are less likely to sell in large quantities are many times the ones most expensive in points...

But yes, some of the battleforces are great deals. The Tyranid and Tau ones are generally better than the others, since they include models that can be used as HQ or Elites. You get a complete army albeit a small and sometimes wonky one. The Imperial Guard boxes are pretty good, too, as far as bulking up your force goes. I rather like the Cadian one. 20 troopers and one good tank? Always useful.

I just wish that the Chaos battleforce was as good. Eight Chaos Marines, one Rhino and then twelve Berzerkers? Pwah. :o

Pertinax
17-04-2006, 19:08
The Chaos army sets/battle forces have always been poor. They are rather limited by the available plastics for the range.

erion
17-04-2006, 19:08
Please please please can we not turn this into another "OMGWTFBBQGWARETEHGREEDY!!!!!!1!!!ONE" thread? frod, I'm looking in your direction.

Pretty please?

Thanks.

Kjell
17-04-2006, 19:21
The Chaos army sets/battle forces have always been poor. They are rather limited by the available plastics for the range.

True, but I think that twelve regular Chaos Marines would be better than having Berzerkers in it. At least you'd be getting twenty Chaos Marines! That's more than enough to start a small force of pretty much any list in the CSM codex. Maybe a Predator instead of a Rhino would be nice, too.

Oh well.

Here's to hoping that there will one day be five great battleforces for Chaos, one for each power... ;)

frod
17-04-2006, 19:22
No problems erion, I do agree that some of the big boxes are good value for money, the new COD set with 10 buildings is going to retail for roughly 2/3rds the cost of buying them seperately which is good value for money.

Pertinax
17-04-2006, 20:20
Here's to hoping that there will one day be five great battleforces for Chaos, one for each power... ;)
That might be asking a bit much, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see the box redefined in the reasonable future...

god octo
17-04-2006, 20:37
some armies dont actually have bottleforce boxes. witch hunters dont, so i have to buy all the models and the sisters of battle boxes have such stupid weapons choices.

DragonPup
17-04-2006, 20:48
some armies dont actually have bottleforce boxes. witch hunters dont, so i have to buy all the models and the sisters of battle boxes have such stupid weapons choices.
Yea, the metal armies get the short end. On top of that, the sister squad box is 7 with bolters, 1 storm bolter(dear god, why), 1 flamer(most I know use heavy flamers), and a Vet Sister with a plasma pistol. For $40. Why, oh why doesnt it have any meltas? Sisters love meltas!

The special weapon blisters are just as bad, because one of the special weapons is like always a storm bolter.

That said, the battleforces always look to be at worst, a good deal. :)

Pertinax
17-04-2006, 20:51
The Inquisitional armies are considered "narrow interest" armies. Hence, they are not supported by plastic ranges. Thus, no battleforce box.

Kjell
17-04-2006, 21:13
That might be asking a bit much, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see the box redefined in the reasonable future...

Yeah. But you know, aim for the stars and you'll at least hit the treetops. :D

silverstu
17-04-2006, 21:24
The nid battle force box is excellent to the point were I consider it buy 3 units get a carnifex free! I need some more carnis and I'm thinking for an extra 25 I get 3 alot of atra options for my nids- I want to buy 2 more. It is a shame some of them aren't quite as good value I hope there will be greater parity in the new ones.

El Ravager
17-04-2006, 21:50
The Necron Battle Force is pretty awesome. By my figurings, it saves you almost $40 US. I've been thinking about buying a couple of them. I want to play them some time, but I am not ready yet. I might buy them anyway, because it seems like a good deal and I'm afraid the price might go up. But if the newer boxes are also good deals, maybe this will not be the case.

Some of the boxes are terrible in my opinion, reguardless of cost. Like others have mentioned, the chaos box would be much better with more marines rather than berzerkers. Others just don't provide a good base of models for an army. I think the Eldar has the bikes which I don't like and don't think is typically a high priority unit for someone starting out in the army. The ork one also pushes bikes on ya -- an ork player would be much better served with another mob of boys, slugga boys for sure. The Dark Eldar box is pretty weak, especially as it is the most expensive. Again it contains bikes.

I guess I just don't like bikes, but I don't see that as being a great unit choice and I really don't think it should be one of the first 3 or 4 units you get when you start an army. They help you more when you flesh out your army as you build it to higher point values. I see the battle box as something that should provide a player a good base of units, the core of an army.

t-tauri
17-04-2006, 22:24
The Orks, Dark Eldar and Eldar are limited by which plastics are available. Hence the hideous numbers of rather horrible bikes filling up the boxes. Plus they're also older and date from the time when sticking some trees or a barricade in was the extent of GW's "savings" ideas so they're much worse value than the recent boxes. At least the Eldar one should improve shortly.

Unholy_Ghost
18-04-2006, 12:23
The Necron Battle Force is pretty awesome. By my figurings, it saves you almost $40 US. I've been thinking about buying a couple of them. I want to play them some time, but I am not ready yet. I might buy them anyway, because it seems like a good deal and I'm afraid the price might go up. But if the newer boxes are also good deals, maybe this will not be the case.

I bought the necron battleforce the other week, and I'm totally pleased with it! saved me lots o' money in my opinion since it nowadays includes four necrons destroyers instead of three, think they are a wee bit expensive bought on their own. now I only need to buy a necron lord and eight immortals (:eek:) to have a good starting army at 1000 pts. :chrome:

/Unholy_Ghost

giner
18-04-2006, 21:49
Battle forces are brilliant especially the 'nids one got a couple of those might not even get a fex on its own.

yodasluck
18-04-2006, 22:15
Most of the armies (4 armies out of 7) I've bought for are either battleforce boxes or army boxes. The cost of individual regiments/squads in comparison to the battleforces almost forces a person to buy the battleforces in a financial sense, provided you have the budget. It's the armies that are mostly metal that will keep you from maintaining a budget.

athamas
18-04-2006, 22:23
if you can get the nid one from onle stores at a typical discount of 10%, making it cost 45 you are effectivly getting 3 Warriors, 8 Genestealers, 8 Hormogaunts & 8 Gaunts for 20...

which is fantastic as a carnifex costs 25 on its own...

Steel_Legion
18-04-2006, 22:27
recently the guard one has accually became wirth it, not its 13 instead of 8 you save, no big difference, but then some shops you can get a 10-15% save as mentioned, so the value racks up

Ill Eagle
19-04-2006, 08:00
The Ork Battleforce box comes with $160 worth of models for $100, and my local gameshop is selling it for $80.

At discounts like that, I wonder if they're just trying to move out existing inventory before the new models are released.

EDIT: Now they're down to $70. I have to get one.

Bloodthirst
19-04-2006, 22:51
I am dissapointed with the Chaos Battleforce. I would prefer if it were a generic chaos force, rather than contain such a heavy 'Khorn' influence. I believe the number of basic Chaos Space Marines should be doubled; one Rhino, five Bikers. This would be a much more versitile starting force, rather than automatically influencing younger plays to worship the Blood-God.

boogle
19-04-2006, 23:02
don;t forget that the eldar, Dark Eldar and Ork ones were about when battleforces were still 40, which at the time saved you quite a bit of cash on each battleforce (as in all 3 cases, the bikes gave you the bigest portion of the saving 25 at the time), however even back then, the Ork one was pap as there was no way you could get 2 troops choices out of the boxed, unless they were a Speed Freeks based army

geoffkemp
20-04-2006, 08:21
The Tau and NEcron Battleforces, are good value IMO. Though never been keen on the CSM one.

Agreed Bloodthirst one the CSM content. Maybe throw in the Champion acessory sprue. Then you got a small army out of the box.

The Black Knight
20-04-2006, 09:22
IMHO i think that the battleforce should have 1HQ and 2 troops so you by the battle force and voila you have an army to play with.

starlight
20-04-2006, 09:32
Something I just discovered yesterday - the US Battleforce prices vary wildly.

They *used* to be very consistant (and still seem to be in Canada), however the US ones now range over $30USD.:wtf: From quite a bit cheaper than the Canadian ones to :wtf: more expensive.

They're still a good deal - but some of them are great deals.:D It looks like I'll be doing a bit more research before my next purchase. US purchasing is looking pretty good right now.:D