PDA

View Full Version : First ever game of 8th= empire 1000 pts

danny-d-b
15-11-2011, 12:16
so my gaming club is finally starting up playing 8th edition and for a change I though I'd dig out my empire army and put together a list- here is what I'm thinking

Warrior priest with AoMI, potion of toughness and Great weapon (general- will join the swordsmen, will deploy potion if ever in challange) 119
Master engineer (will join handgunners- and re-roll the cannon and helstorm)65

30swordsmen with full command (deployed 5x6 for ranks!) 205
21 flagents with prophet of doom 210 (deployed 7x 3 for kills) 220
10 handgunners 80

Cannon 100
Morter 75

helstorm rocket battery 115

what do you think- was thinking possible swiching of potion of toughness for ironcurse pendent, luckstone pendent and then a repeater pistol on the engineer

Morax
15-11-2011, 17:07
At this low points that many warmachines are a bit of a waste. Particularly the mortar and rocket battery as they will struggle to find targets worth shooting in games this size. I'd drop the rocket battery, handgunners and engineer and field a unit of halberdiers.

Halberdiers make much better use of the warrior priest's bestowed hatred then the swordsmen do. I would also take a wizard to sue the 2d6 power dice you are going to be generating every turn. A level 1 fire wizard can wreck things at this point level. Leave him off on his own, flinging upgraded fireballs from a hill top and he will destroy things every time. Just don't expect him to live as you will see him blow him self up every game he doesn't die to enemy shooting/fast units.

For your warrior priest the dawnstone would work better then the potion for consistant protection. A quick swap for a huge bonus. Keep in mind that the potion must be declared at the beginning of turn, not beginning of phase. All in all a nice 1k list.

ImperiusDominatus
15-11-2011, 21:38
Your Warrior Priest should come to a total of 139pts with the armour and potion, not 119. I'd also recommend dropping the Helstorm (since three warmachines in 1000pts is a bit much) and using the points to beef up your Swordsmen and Flagellants. Halberdiers would probably work a bit better, especially with the Priest, but Swordsmen are still perfectly viable if you prefer them.

At this low points that many warmachines are a bit of a waste. Particularly the mortar and rocket battery as they will struggle to find targets worth shooting in games this size. I'd drop the rocket battery, handgunners and engineer and field a unit of halberdiers.
I strongly disagree. It might not be a particularly large game, but you're still going to be going up against one or two blocks of infantry which make perfect targets for the mortar. Heck, because it's a small game individual units tend to become more important and being able to take a large chunk out of them makes the mortar much more devastating than in larger games.

Tigranius
16-11-2011, 10:13
I'd drop the Hellstorm aswell if i were you. Big chance it isnt going to hit anything, too much rolling with artillery and scater dice, so against a small army it is far from efficient (unless you are lucky!)

If you have your heart set on war machines, add another canon. Also canons can benefit from your Master Enigineer. Helstorm battery and volley gun, do not get the reroll from the Master Enigineer (too expirimental to control). So ashame of your points to get something blown to kingdom come before it does some damage.

rest of the list looks decent, just give it a go i would say :)

Morax
16-11-2011, 11:58
I strongly disagree. It might not be a particularly large game, but you're still going to be going up against one or two blocks of infantry which make perfect targets for the mortar. Heck, because it's a small game individual units tend to become more important and being able to take a large chunk out of them makes the mortar much more devastating than in larger games.

As you can see from my first advise, I didn't suggest dropping the mortar, just the rocket battery, for precisely these reasons. I had assumed that the OP saw the merits of warmachines and didn't need me to reiterate them.

Morax
16-11-2011, 17:07
If you have your heart set on war machines, add another canon. Also canons can benefit from your Master Enigineer. Helstorm battery and volley gun, do not get the reroll from the Master Enigineer (too expirimental to control). So ashame of your points to get something blown to kingdom come before it does some damage.

Actually the engineer can affect the rolls of the Helstorm and the volley gun. The faq completely changed the extra crewman rule to the master of ballistics and that rule leaves out any mention of the rocket battery. Simply states warmachines.

danny-d-b
16-11-2011, 18:50
I've been thinking a bit and I'm unable to get a warrior priest, a wizzard and a engineer in (leaves me with 5 points to spend if all unequiped)

I can see the point of to many warmashines, but if I'm going to have one of the two, isn't it better to have the rocket battery over the morter? considering higher streanth and stuff, and wounding on 2s and giving no armour save (or a 6+) better than wounding on 4s and giving people a 4+/5+ armour save

Morax
16-11-2011, 20:42
The Rocket Battery NEEDS an engineer inorder to hit quite often. For the turns his reroll isn't used it is used by a different warmachine in a battery of them. This is at higher points when you are fielding 3+ warmachines in groups of 3 with an engineer to support. Failing that the coupling is just too expensive at 1000 points, almost 20% of the army in just the rocket battery and engineer. It will not work well enough for that at this point level. The mortar at 7.5% of the list is a much more efficient expenditure of points as at this level you are likely to see a few blocks of infantry but not super elite blocks. They cost too much to make them worth it and are considered quite beardy. For thinning out that stuff the mortar works just fine. A fire wizard at level 1 is a bit crazy at this level as his impact on the game goes WAY up. Leave him on a hill way back and more then 6 inches away from the closest unit and throw every die you have at fireball every turn. You WILL see results fast and people will not like it.

ImperiusDominatus
18-11-2011, 09:42
As you can see from my first advise, I didn't suggest dropping the mortar, just the rocket battery, for precisely these reasons. I had assumed that the OP saw the merits of warmachines and didn't need me to reiterate them.
You said "At this low points that many warmachines are a bit of a waste. Particularly the mortar and rocket battery as they will struggle to find targets..."

That's the part I was disagreeing with. I was simply saying that if anything the mortar becomes better in a low points game.

I can see the point of to many warmashines, but if I'm going to have one of the two, isn't it better to have the rocket battery over the morter? considering higher streanth and stuff, and wounding on 2s and giving no armour save (or a 6+) better than wounding on 4s and giving people a 4+/5+ armour save
The helstorm is pretty inaccurate, costs a fair bit more and, like Morax said, really needs an Engineer to be all that useful. In a smaller sized game you're much better off dropping the Engineer and the helstorm while just keeping the cannon and mortar for warmachines; along with the handgunners you'll have good enough shooting. You're probably better off using those left over points to beef up your infantry or add a Battle Standard.

zielonkak
18-11-2011, 12:08
i dont play much empire anymore, but i would drop the helstorm and the engineer and add a wizard and a detachement of halbrediers....or something along those lines...even add pistoliers for warmachine hunting...