PDA

View Full Version : Would this conversion be going to far?

Alan Quartermaine
16-11-2011, 14:57
I'm about to start an all corsiar dark elf army, and I'm wanting to include two hydras. However at 41 each they're well out of my price range, so I was thinking of GW monsters on chariot bases for a good price, and I decided on the ogre mournfangs.

So if I got the mournfangs, which are two for 22.50 would it be taking it to far to convert them as count as hydras?
Now I wouldn't just do cheesy conversion, I would take my time to remove the fur and tusks and replace them with scales and gills, I would also add webbed feet. Do you think if I did all that it would be acceptable to use them as count as hyrdas?

Now I know a lot of you will say its down to who you play against, my group won't mind at all. I'm wanting to know what the general wargaming community think of it.

Thank you in advance!

Urgat
16-11-2011, 15:11
Sure, conversions are always cool.

grumbaki
16-11-2011, 15:41
Same base size?
Converted to be aquatic themed?

I see no problem here.

boli
16-11-2011, 15:43
My advice... if you really *really* want to buy those models do so.. but do *NOT* convert them. Just use them as "this represents" in games with your family/friends. (although a monster base with a huge blob of blu-tac could do in some circles :P)

Then save up to buy an offical one - you could even sell off the ogres to pay for it. You can often get quite decent deals and sales on ebay.

Lord Dan
16-11-2011, 15:45
If you have the skills to pull off that kind of conversion then go for it!

NixonAsADaemonPrince
16-11-2011, 15:46
My advice... if you really *really* want to buy those models do so.. but do *NOT* convert them. Just use them as "this represents" in games with your family/friends. (although a monster base with a huge blob of blu-tac could do in some circles :P)

Then save up to buy an offical one - you could even sell off the ogres to pay for it. You can often get quite decent deals and sales on ebay.

Why not just convert them? I'm genuinely interested in your opinion :), as I personally would really welcome the conversion and prefer it to the use of the stock model.

boli
16-11-2011, 15:49
Why not just convert them? I'm genuinely interested in your opinion :), as I personally would really welcome the conversion and prefer it to the use of the stock model.

In my experiance it does all come down to skill. If you're good enough you can make it look fantastic - but in general you could end up spending waay more money and a LOT more time getting something which "kind of" works; but one of the heads keeps falling off.

Unless you are very confidant in your ability or you have more money than sense (going by your post I don't think that's the case) its better just to leave well alone on any large conversion.

AlphariusOmegon20
16-11-2011, 17:48
In my experience it does all come down to skill. If you're good enough you can make it look fantastic - but in general you could end up spending waay more money and a LOT more time getting something which "kind of" works; but one of the heads keeps falling off.

Unless you are very confidant in your ability or you have more money than sense (going by your post I don't think that's the case) its better just to leave well alone on any large conversion.

Your post makes me laugh. It sounds like you're discouraging him from doing the conversion, because you assume he does not have the skills to do it to your standard.

It's HIS army. Whether he has the skills to do it to Golden Daemon standards is irrelevant. Only he has to be happy with the final product.

If it is not to his standard, then he won't field it. Nobody field's something that looks like crap to them. But everyone's taste and viewpoint is subjective to the individual. What may look good to me may look totally pants to you and vice versa. But that is not your choice nor concern of how I build my army, nor is it mine on how you do yours.

To the OP, go for it, I'd like to see what it looks like after you get done. Sounds interesting.

No problem, man. Sounds like an interesting modelling project!

eron12
16-11-2011, 18:15
I wouldn't touch a project like that with a ten foot pool, because I'm not that confident with my conversion skills, but if you want to give it a try, go for it. It sounds like it would look really cool.

T9nv3
16-11-2011, 18:19
I think Boli makes a perfectly valid point. If you're going to convert Mournfangs into Hydras it could end up costing you more depending on what you want to use as hydra heads.

I've tried to think of some way to do the heads cheaply, but nothing suggests itself to me right away....you could go with a box of dire-wolves...or some similar box of 10 warbeasts that fit with the furry mournfangs, but then you still have to work out how to do the necks...or just go non GW....cause even in "official" tournies, I think they allow a certain % of the converted model to be made out of something else

I really like the idea though, and I'd love to follow your progress.

Daniel36
16-11-2011, 18:31
With such extreme conversion work, the material and man hours alone are going to net you 40 bucks... But go for it man! Why would anyone care?

Whaagnomore
16-11-2011, 18:45
With a hobby as expensive as warhammer there's no reason why you shouldnt convert if you want to, your idea sounds awesome aswell. Have used other models and lightly converted them for my lizardmen army. It only cost me about a 2/5 of the original value.
Who needs Terradon riders when you can have COUATL CRUSHERS! :evilgrin:

jack da greenskin
16-11-2011, 19:13
You can often get quite decent deals and sales on ebay.

Not too great on very competitive units like the hydra though :/

My advice would be to not buy the mournfangs, as with a 25% discount from somewhere like darksphere.com, you'll get the hydra for only a few quid more, and no-one can complain, you wont get dodgy comments, etc. Also, people tend to be less accepting of a shoddy counts as the more competitive a unit is :/

But...

This pretty much.

Or, you could buy one, and use a card cutout on the right base for a second. See if you really want to run two.

RanaldLoec
16-11-2011, 22:52
I have all the heads and necks from my Dark Elve hydra that I used to build a dragon ogre Shaggoth.

I will happily donate them too you to use in your conversion just pm me yr postal address.

Or try reapers hydra http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/hydra/sku-down/14445

That's the 31.40 there's a skinny hydra for 21.40 as well.

zoggin-eck
17-11-2011, 06:12
I think a few people are wrongly assuming he wants to convert it "into a hydra" rather than into a scaled monster and "count as" a hydra ruleswise.

Making mournfangs into a cool, different monster sounds ace. The dark elves enslave all sorts of monsters, not just the easily recognisable hydras.

ivan55599
17-11-2011, 07:27
Then remember post pics somewhere. This looks interesting.

EmperorNorton
17-11-2011, 07:30
Not sure how you are going to do it, but I'd sure like to see your conversions (and your corsair army as a whole, because I'm currently working on one myself).

Wishing
17-11-2011, 07:53
Ultimately, I think your motivation is entirely understandable - you want to be able to field these cool models, but think they're too expensive, so you're looking for alternatives. However, this motivation isn't one that tends to garner a lot of respect from the gaming community if it is too obvious. In other words, going for a cheap option that doesn't really fit can risk making your army look cheap. Cheap is something you want an army to *be*, not how you want an army to *look*. :)

That said, any conversion will acquire praise and admiration if you do it really well and make it look really really good. The more your opponents will look at the models and go "wow, those look awesome!", the more likely they will be happy to play against them in game, even more so if it is obvious that they are meant to be hydras and they don't have to ask.

Urgat
17-11-2011, 07:59
I think Boli makes a perfectly valid point. If you're going to convert Mournfangs into Hydras it could end up costing you more depending on what you want to use as hydra heads.

This is true, but if he plans on doing that, I suppose he believes he has the skills to achieve it. And if he hasn't tried before, well, he can learn, and if it's not satisfactory, he can come back to it later when he has improved. I believe he should go for it, weither he means to just make a scaly mournfang (why not? I am like Zogging, I thought that's what he wanted to do, but reading the OP's post again, I'm not so sure anymore) or combine the kits to make a two headed thing.

Echunia
17-11-2011, 08:03
Only if you post pics! Pics damn it! :D

logan054
17-11-2011, 08:58

I would ignore this post, nothing like having something unique to your army, convert them and what you come up with, the idea for the hydra sounds very interesting :)

Kyte
17-11-2011, 09:20
I saw a guy in a store I play in, who did something similar, replacing the mournfang's head with greenstuff necks and modified (made reptilian) rat ogre heads. It looked stunning.

golembane
17-11-2011, 09:38
I don't know if you do tournies or not where you are locked into using only GW minis, but you could always go use other companies various hydras that are much cheaper and would look much different then any other 'official' hydras.

The Reaper miniature Hydra of Lerna (http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/hydra/latest/02203#detail/02203_w_1) is only $21.99 new and the other hydra they make (which I like the looks of a lot personally) is the simply named hydra (http://www.reapermini.com/Miniatures/hydra/latest/14445), but is more expensive at $48.99 each. Both should be able to fit on the large size chariot bases of GW with some work.

I only mention this since they seem as though they would be cheaper then the time/money investment in either the conversion or the standard GW hydra mini. Of course this is completely null if you do plan on doing any events in which you have to have 100% GW minis.

boli
17-11-2011, 10:09
I saw a guy in a store I play in, who did something similar, replacing the mournfang's head with greenstuff necks and modified (made reptilian) rat ogre heads. It looked stunning.

That's my point, it *can* look jaw-dropingly-good; but at the same time I've also seen many *many* cringe-worthy conversions so it would all depend on your skill level to make it look good. If you can: great I too would be interested to see. BUT: if you are buying them *just* for the reduced cost then you have to factor in the cost for all the extra bits (including the greenstuff) which has a nasty habit of spiraling the cost.

Since this is a discussion thread and not a "these are the facts" thread I am giving you the "other side" of the modeling and conversion to consider. You will have to consider both sides of the issue; which indeed I guess which is why you asked this question in the first place as you wanted to hear both sides.

If you think you have the skill, time and equipment to do a decent conversion then go right ahead. But if you are a novice in large conversions and only doing this as you are being seduced by the "reduced" cost of this I would seriously reconsider.

Of course you will never learn if you don't try but for your own sake if this is your first time modeling and scupting practice first on items you can "hide" or "get away" with. 2 hydras will no doubt be a very large and very visually striking part of your army and will often form the centre piece of any display.

Get it right and the whole army takes on a whole new edge a few well done conversions can really tie a force together; but if you get it wrong or rush it the first thing people will see when they look at your army will be the hydra and it will be subject to the most scrutency by your peers.

So if you are going to do it... do it right and do it well; otherwise you're going to be kicking yourself in the future.

Feefait
17-11-2011, 16:01
Maybe it's just me but I've found that by the time I get all the supplies and pieces I need for a major conversion like this it ends up not being any cheaper, though they can be a lot cooler. I actually really dislike the GW hydra. lol Why not look at the Reaper minis hydra?

Alan Quartermaine
17-11-2011, 21:42
Thank you for all of the replies! I've found your opinions really useful.
I'm going to get the mournfangs and turn them into some kind of sea lion from the boiling sea. I'm pretty good at sculpting so hopefully I should be able to knock up something pretty cool.
Ill get the mournfangs some time in the next couple of weeks, so expect a project log to pop up in the near future.
Once again thank you for all of the feedback.