PDA

View Full Version : 2v2 advice

cdpia1084
16-11-2011, 21:38
hey me and my buddies are playing a 2v2 battle. I am wood elves, and my buddies are VC, Lizardmen, WoC. We will roll off for teams. But my big question is how do you handle turns? each side go together? then what about magic phase? defending side get the highest dice from each caster for dispell dice? or is there another way of doing it?

any and all advice appreciated.

Glenn87
16-11-2011, 21:46
We've got a small 2vs2 league at our local GW too.
Teams are decided by the store staff (randomly, but can't play with a person you've played with before, it's every thursday evening).

Magic is done very simpel. Ever active player rolls 2D6, and the player across them gets each's highest.

So Player A stands across player B
and Player C stands across player D

Player B gets the highest D6 of player A
Player D gets the highest D6 of player C.

Every player can only use his own dice to cast spells (so no joined pool), and each other player can attempt to dispel, BUT only with his/her own dice. So if you throw 5 dice at a spell, and player B has 3 left, and player D has 2 left, they can't throw those 5 together to dispel.

Remember, that even if one of you're opponents doens't have a wizard (anymore), he still needs to roll for Winds of Magic. Even tough he can't cast, that doesn't mean you can't dispel his ally's spells aimed at your units. (this does mean that if a player loses his wizard(s), that sides magic phase is pretty much SCREWED).

cdpia1084
16-11-2011, 21:54
thanks for the information

Glenn87
16-11-2011, 22:06
thanks for the information

you're welcome!

It's really the best way to use the Winds of Magic in 2vs2. Else people can start abusing the HELL out of 4D6 power dice.

MOMUS
17-11-2011, 05:32
Only 1D6 per player?

When ive played 2v2 games we have used 3D6, for power and dispell.

Its a shared pool, but its up to the players to decide how to share the dice (if they want to).

Lebowski
20-11-2011, 03:28
umm.... so ignoring the WHFB? I understand how that could get pretty boring.

MOMUS
20-11-2011, 06:26
umm.... so ignoring the WHFB? I understand how that could get pretty boring.

:eyebrows: Have you read storm of magic?

luntan
20-11-2011, 10:03
We play as Glenn87 with the dices. Its just like a normal magicphase then. The only time this method sucks is when one player has no mage, then the teammate dont get thru anything accept IF castings. So you need to have several mages.

If you play 3D6 for both teams then no spells will get thru.

MOMUS
20-11-2011, 10:19

:confused: How many gaes have you played with 3D6?
We played with 3D6 fine, as there is still variance between what you roll for power and what you roll for dispell. (+channeling)

We also played that the team mates could elect to share (evenly divide) or not, meaning that they could do their spells quickly and try and use the dice before the team mate got to them.

Glenn87
20-11-2011, 18:59
We play as Glenn87 with the dices. Its just like a normal magicphase then. The only time this method sucks is when one player has no mage, then the teammate dont get thru anything accept IF castings. So you need to have several mages.

yeah, we've came across the only 1 guy brings wizard too...
To overkill it even more it was like this:

Me (O&G) with Dwarfs against High Elves and Dwarfs.

The HE was the only one who brought a mage (lvl 2 high magic).
But even tough his Dwarf ally didn't have a wizard, he still needed to roll for winds of magic.

It gave us 2D6 dispel Dice +2 from the dwarfs against his 2D6. (we got both the highest, he got his own). And as we didn't have a wizard (couldn't get it in the points), their dispel dice were useless...

Lebowski
20-11-2011, 22:35
storm of magic is what they should call 8th....

dementian
21-11-2011, 04:48
When my friends and I play 2v2 we just treat it as a single army would so we roll 2d6 for a side and split the power dice evenly then apply channeling or any extra power dice to your own pool and the defending side splits the highest of the d6 between the two of them.