PDA

View Full Version : Some Dark Elf Rumours

Pages : [1] 2

eldargal
17-11-2011, 13:35
Edit: All indications point to a rumoured late 2013 release.
I've heard from two sources within GW that they have seen work in progress CAD thingamies for Dark Elf plastics, of which Witch Elves were named specifically. Another kit was mentioned as being Black Guard or Executioners. There was also another plastic kit he didn't recognise and some plastic characters. I'm embarassed to admit I can't find the original email to check exactly what he said. I think there may have been some large plastic critter as well.
EDIT: The other source just mentioned Witch Elf CADs which he wasn't too impressed with.

I've had this corroborated by another rumourmonger who said it fits in with what he heard of Dark Elves coming in 2013 and CAD images meaning they are usually 18-24 months or so away from production.

As always, until pictures are leaked or GW sends out an email treat it as rumour not fact.

Edit:

Oki-slash-doki, I have more Dark Elf rumours, from the same source as the first lot and also wcorroborated with a reliable rumourmonger:
The rumours:
-plastic monster, possibly a hydra, not certain its for DE specifically which isn't a problem with SoM scrolls of binding
-plastic mounted character, possibly female
-dual kit chariot (this was mentioned by others already)
-plastic bolt thrower

Witch Elves, Black Guard and Executioners also all with extra coroboration. Late 2013 still the most likely slot for release.

A plastic hydra would be nice, the way GW are doing plastic kits it could really be big and dynamic. But they just Finecasterisated the old hydra (and the bolt thrower) so I felt this seemed a little odd. If the plasticKarl Franz/Griffon rider kit pans out it would be interesting to see if that impacts this rumour, a possible Morathi/Hellebron/generic hero kit? Just speculation. The dual chariot kit has been wishlisted/rumoured before, so nothing too new with that.

For the record I consider myself a rumour dissemination facilitator, not a rumourmonger. As always don't believe it until GW announces it.

Sappysid101
17-11-2011, 13:52
It's a long way off but still good news! I'd probably buy witch elves if they was plastic (or resin tbh). Hopefull dark riders will turn up lol Thanks for the info :)

- Sid

Count Zero
17-11-2011, 13:57
Wonder if they would make a dual BG/Exec kit. Wouldn't surprise me with the amount of dual kits they seem to release now.

Thanks for the rumours.

Infern0
17-11-2011, 14:02
well thats good news :)
only thing i dislike is that new DE goodies are not any time soon:(

Azazyll
17-11-2011, 14:03
Wonder if they would make a dual BG/Exec kit. Wouldn't surprise me with the amount of dual kits they seem to release now.

I hope not - I want them to look different, not just heads and weapons.

This is great news!

WokeUpDead
17-11-2011, 14:05
great news!

more elves/eldar that need painting. estimated finish-line: 2109 ;)
glad to hear about plastic witches. I'll hope they intermix nicely with dark-eldar wyches.

Morkash
17-11-2011, 14:07
Nice to hear. Dark Elves are a great army and if the Specials turn into plastic, the better. A combined kit for BG and Executioners, hmm, there was no dual kit for elite infantry until now, was there? I'd welcome 2 seperate boxes. :)

TsukeFox
17-11-2011, 14:08
Betting that 2013 line will be Dark Elves, warriors & daemons of chaos- suck on that remainin 6th edition books-!

a18no
17-11-2011, 14:13
I've heard from two sources within GW that they have seen work in progress CAD thingamies for Dark Elf plastics, of which Witch Elves were named specifically. Another kit was mentioned as being Black Guard or Executioners. There was also another plastic kit he didn't recognise and some plastic characters. I'm embarassed to admit I can't find the original email to check exactly what he said. I think there may have been some large plastic critter as well.

I've had this corroborated by another rumourmonger who said it fits in with what he heard of Dark Elves coming in 2013 and CAD images meaning they are usually 18-24 months or so away from production.

As always, until pictures are leaked or GW sends out an email treat it as rumour not fact.

I really want to know what that is. The new book is very good, I'm very happy with it. But I must say that nothing new was added to him. Following all the new release, all armies got some new stuff. But since the book is complete in its all, I wonder what they can do...

BRING IT ON!!

Tregar
17-11-2011, 14:15
Thanks for the rumours- my cynical side was sure this thread's content was gonna be, "Anyone know anything about Dark Elves?" :chrome:

T9nv3
17-11-2011, 14:39
Well, I guess I can wait till 2013 for some new Witch Elves. I'd rather see Black Guard get redone over Executioners. Once the new book drops I'll probably be picking up quite a few BG, but I love my executioners just the way they are.

The BRB Dark Elf entry mentions some kind of magical constructs that Malekith makes from from armour. Would be really cool to get something like that for Monstrous Infantry.

Lets hope we also see some Dark Riders and a chariot in this release.

Tokamak
17-11-2011, 14:41
I hope they don't give these beautiful models the same treatment the high elf elite has gotten.

theJ
17-11-2011, 15:14
I hope they don't give these beautiful models the same treatment the high elf elite has gotten.

:confused:

What was wrong with the HE treatment?

Symrivven
17-11-2011, 15:15
Interesting rumour, if I'm not mistaken some other rumour monger(s) mentioned DE would be sooner than some would expect, so that would fit nicely with your rumour.

Voss
17-11-2011, 15:23

That was my immediate reaction as well. As much as some people may object, elite units with different two handed weapons are an obvious dual kit slot. And both units really need to be plastic.

Silvertongue
17-11-2011, 15:24
ooooo <3

You see, even if Witch Elves are not that great (and let's face it, how horrible can semi-armored female elves be?)* I'd love them to be in plastic. Because that means that I can easily make conversions. Also, although I like the clothing and style of the current WElves, I don't like the minis itselves. The could very much benefit from the new style elven faces that are not "here, look, I have cheekbones".
Plastic characters are a really good new. Let's hope the new Karl Franz on his Gryph is the first of many SCs in plastic.

As for the other kit, I'm with Morkash. I prefer they make BG and Execs a separate kit. After all, it'd be very much like making Phoenix Guard and Swordmasters a combined kit, which is nonsense.

A big critter for DE could be Kraken-like. Or, of course, some kind of Khaine Temple on wheels (or a decent Cauldron of Blood, Screaming Bell style). If it's an animal, it would probably be Kraken or Superhydra-style.

Semi-Avatars of Khaine would also be nice, and fit the description in the BRB.

Also, Harpies, CoChariots and Dark Riders are needed.

Thank you, eldargal, for these snippets. Even if they end up not being true (although I think they're pretty logical), it's good to read something DE related. Oh, and 2013 is going to be an expensive year, if indeed Eldar are released by the end of 2012 or beginning of 2013.

*don't read this out loud, lest GW hear you and take it as a challenge.

Druchii Monkey
17-11-2011, 15:39
I really want to know what that is. The new book is very good, I'm very happy with it. But I must say that nothing new was added to him. Following all the new release, all armies got some new stuff. But since the book is complete in its all, I wonder what they can do...

BRING IT ON!!

Executioners and Black Guard should be separate. Very different character.

There are a few new things they could do that would be new, based on the Malus books.

1. The Endless - Malekith's Elite, varying abilities perhaps like Maneaters but specifically designed to hunt and kill characters. Some overlap with assassin.

2. Acolytes - from what i can remember, clothed in white cloth, no-armour, but lethal combat ability like Executioners. Think 2 attacks with killing blow. Again probably some overlap.

3. Character - "The Grand Carnifex" - in charge of the Cult Of Khaine. Axe wielding, grisly old blood priest.

Items - would be interesting to factor in Writ of Iron, that could give Black Guard as troops choices. Also model for cauldron of blood could do with rethink, and they could easily do plastic dark pegasus kit, hydra, dragon, and manticore are covered so that's the only one missing.

Daniel36
17-11-2011, 15:39
Well... They do need a new book... They also need new core units... oh well...

I hope GW will do the sensible thing. If you ask me they could even do a dual HE/DE core kit. Besides icons, how different are they really?

Druchii Monkey
17-11-2011, 15:51
That was my immediate reaction as well. As much as some people may object, elite units with different two handed weapons are an obvious dual kit slot. And both units really need to be plastic.

This just won't happen. We're not talking about Necrons here. :p

One bunch are Khainites, the other are a poles apart, militaristic elite. These need completely different bits and a completely different theme. Personally i reckon they should finecast the existing executioners and just do Black Guard and Witch Elves as plastic.

If they want to make a combo kit do Black Guard / The Endless.

theJ
17-11-2011, 15:56
Well... They do need a new book... They also need new core units... oh well...

I hope GW will do the sensible thing. If you ask me they could even do a dual HE/DE core kit. Besides icons, how different are they really?

They've got similarities, sure, but armourwise, they're still very different.

Dark Elves go for spikes and curves on their armour, note the helmets, shoulderpads and weapons, also note their use of chainmail where High Elves use Scale Mail. Other than the scales, High Elves prefer "smooth" armour, "straight" armour and poses (note the helmets), as well as far "cleaner" armour.

Unless one or both of the armies suffer a major change in style, not a single bit on one side would fit with the other, save perhaps faces, and even there, I'd still expect very different expressions, hairstyles, scarring and possibly ornaments (ear-rings?).

Druchii Monkey
17-11-2011, 16:09
...besides icons, how different are they really?

Now you're stirring...

sulla
17-11-2011, 18:16
Good news. It'll be interesting to see how these guys turn out. With the cold one knights, they added bits to make them in the style of the earlier models or the more recent 6th edition ones.

I hope the witch elves don't look like the originals :eek: If they based them on the current models, I don't see know if they could cast their hair in plastic. I don't see any other plastics as dynamic as that. Simpler swords like the corsairs, or better still, daggers would be cooler than the current silly swords they use. These guys should be the priority since Avatars of War are rumoured to be working on some now.

I wouldn't be surprised if executioners lost the funky axe-swords and went to more archetypal big, brutal axes. The current models are awesome; still my favourite unit in the entire game. But... They weren't really practical as metal models; too fragile. And they still wouldn't be practical as plastic. Also, they don't look thematically linked to the temple of Khaine in any way. We may see big changes there.

Black guard models should be based on Malekith's armour, however they design his next model. The current models are fairly uninspiring.

giant stegadon
17-11-2011, 19:27
It'll be interesting to see how different they can make Elf Witches from Eldar Wyches.

I think whenever DE gets an update it won't be all that surprising- metal goes plastic & the altar gets turned into a multi kit. The mystery will be if theres a new monster or unit. Anyone wanting new Spearmen is going to have to keeping hoping for another decade.

popisdead
17-11-2011, 20:25
Wouldn't surprise me a bit Dark Elves are set to be redone. They have a broken magic system, fair bit of metal infantry and quite out of date spearmen/xbow kit, also a curious lacking of shiny new nice character models.

silverstu
17-11-2011, 20:26
[QUOTE=giant stegadon;5917360]It'll be interesting to see how different they can make Elf Witches from Eldar Wyches.[QUOTE]

I'd hope they would do witch elves to a similar standard/aesthetic to the DE wyches [obviously with no males and guns...].

silent25
17-11-2011, 21:32
[QUOTE=giant stegadon;5917360]It'll be interesting to see how different they can make Elf Witches from Eldar Wyches.[QUOTE]

I'd hope they would do witch elves to a similar standard/aesthetic to the DE wyches [obviously with no males and guns...].

Oh there will still be guns. You seen the arms on the Wyches? :shifty:

Couldn't resist.:p

ExquisiteMonkey
17-11-2011, 22:41
This is relatively good news, only held back by the potential dual Black Guard/Executioner kit - I pray to Khaine that this doesn't happen.
Thank goodness I'm bulking out both of my metal model units for xmas, so I'll at least have a unit of 30 of each of the current design.

On Witch Elves, even if they are not that crash hot, AoW are still working on their as far as I'm aware.
Could possibly even have two very different looking units, or mix n match for more individuality.
So this is a win.

On the unknown plastics - It won't be Corsairs or Knights, and it's unlikely to be the warriors.
I'm guessing it's a combo of a new unit and an old unit, possibly making a Cauldron of Blood and some new Khainite type thing (Avatar-esque) since the CoB is still metal.
Small possiblilty that it could be a chariot/CoB kit, but I doubt it as they don't quite mesh that well.
Won't be the Repeater Bolt Thrower as it finecast.
Could be shades, but I doubt they're popular enough to be converted.
Could be Dark Riders, but again, I doubt it, since they've undoubtably decreased in sales given the lesser impact of cavalry this edition.

silverstu
17-11-2011, 23:02
[QUOTE=silverstu;5917460][QUOTE=giant stegadon;5917360]It'll be interesting to see how different they can make Elf Witches from Eldar Wyches.

Oh there will still be guns. You seen the arms on the Wyches? :shifty:

Couldn't resist.:p

Good Point-Well played! :D

Tuatha Dar
17-11-2011, 23:09
New Witch Elves would be great, assuming that someone like Brian Nelson or Jes Goodwin sculpts them. They and others at the studio such as ummm...ummm, well, anyway, THEY can sculpt women really well.

Tuatha

Sinzaren
17-11-2011, 23:13
Well I suppose I should start saving now then :p

Plastic Units do sound nice, I just hope they don't look too similar to the corsairs (I really don't like the pose on them). I'd love to see a large monster in there as well, possibly a large Hydra or Basilisk.

I hope with the new book they sort out the points costs as well. I know I can now have more minis in smaller games, but with the last book the cost of my army dropped way too much. :)

AlexHolker
17-11-2011, 23:41
This is two years too late for me - and even then, according to the OP the Witch Elves aren't as good as they should be anyway. Here's hoping AoW will quit playing coy soon, and give us some good quality, reasonably priced Witch Elves.

WokeUpDead
18-11-2011, 00:02
This is two years too late for me - and even then, according to the OP the Witch Elves aren't as good as they should be anyway. Here's hoping AoW will quit playing coy soon, and give us some good quality, reasonably priced Witch Elves.

dito.
if the AoW ones are nice, they are already bought. if the GW ones turn out nice, too, well.. the more, the merrier :D

TowerGuard
18-11-2011, 01:09
Not sure the OP meant that there would be one kit that can either make BG or Execs. I understood that sentance as his source saw a kit that he/she believes will be either for BG or Execs but they weren't sure.

eldargal
18-11-2011, 08:07
They are still very much WIP from what I understand, so if they are bad then hopefully they will improve them. Only one of the 'sources' (that sounds so pretentious) didn't like them.:)

Yes. My source wasn't sure whether the CAD he saw was Black Guard or Executioners, I don't think there was any indication that it was a dual kit, he just didn't get a good enough look to work out what it was.

Not sure the OP meant that there would be one kit that can either make BG or Execs. I understood that sentance as his source saw a kit that he/she believes will be either for BG or Execs but they weren't sure.

scarletsquig
18-11-2011, 08:26
New Witch Elves would be great, assuming that someone like Brian Nelson or Jes Goodwin sculpts them. They and others at the studio such as ummm...ummm

Juan Diaz.

Iniesta
18-11-2011, 10:21
I wonder how they are gonna fix/nerf DE enough without pissing of all DE players? They really need to nerf DE a lot because now most models/units in that armybook are broken. The rest of the community are gonna welcome the nerf though. They probably introduce something new and big (new monster) and new sculpts?

rodmillard
18-11-2011, 11:46
I wonder how they are gonna fix/nerf DE enough without pissing of all DE players? They really need to nerf DE a lot because now most models/units in that armybook are broken. The rest of the community are gonna welcome the nerf though. They probably introduce something new and big (new monster) and new sculpts?

I would hazard a guess at existing units taking a nerf while they try and distract the current DE players with new shineys - then instead of being "NOOO! GW nerfed my army *ragequit*" it becomes "well of course they nerfed A, B and C, because they want to sell X, Y and Z"

EDIT: note that this model of army book design can (and probably will) be applied to everything from Vampire Counts onwards, not just DE [/cynicism]

Symrivven
18-11-2011, 11:53
Juan Diaz.

Indeed, Juan and Jes did such a great job on the DE (40K) range I hope they'll be involved with the new DE. Btw Jes made some comment after the DE (40K) release that he had enough of eldar for some time. Was this specifically eldar or pointy ears in general?

No rules are mentioned here, just hints on upcoming sculpts, so I don't think your whining should belong here.

ghost21
18-11-2011, 12:05
the witch elves i saw were extremely disappointing... though a cult of khaine list nows a posability

Daniel36
18-11-2011, 12:45
Unless one or both of the armies suffer a major change in style, not a single bit on one side would fit with the other, save perhaps faces, and even there, I'd still expect very different expressions, hairstyles, scarring and possibly ornaments (ear-rings?).

Well... The spikes can be extra bitz. If you make the body the same (quite easily done, it's basically robes and armour plate). Give us two distinctly different head and shield options and you will be done...

They aren't THAT different, are they?

Poncho160
18-11-2011, 13:12
After the Dark Eldar Wyhches, I am expecting great things from any Dark Elf Witches.

Infern0
18-11-2011, 13:16
the witch elves i saw were extremely disappointing... though a cult of khaine list nows a posability

I think I`m going to cry:cries:
had really high hopes for the ladies

mweaver
18-11-2011, 13:56
The new 40K wyches are really nice - and mix well with wood elf plastics. I hope they do as good a job with the fantasy version.

Souleater
18-11-2011, 14:01
The wyches are good but they aren't all that feminine in their arms and legs. The new DE sorceress they release a few months ago was pretty rough IMO.

Good news on DE. I hope to start either them or WoC if I ever finish my Dark Eldar

jtrowell
18-11-2011, 14:06

What do you mean Ghost21 ?

Are you implying new rules and/or unit making a whole Cult of Khaine army possible like witches as core or something like that, or is is just a way of saying that with plastic kits a Khainite army will become affordable ?

Note that in fact a Cult of Khaine army is already possible (but not optimal of course):

Hellebron as your general
Cauldron BSB
Witches as core (thanks to Hellebron)
Executors
Probably one assassin or two

Maybe a few of the more generic units (warriors, dreadlord, maybe even a male Khainite sorcerer) as "Khaine worshippers".

Harpies can also serve as Khainite Pets (the fluff both say that most elves see them as little more than animal, but that their savagery is also considered like a gift of Khaine or something like that)

spartan41
18-11-2011, 14:19

Could you elaborate on this at all? were they like the eldar wyches with big arms and fully clothed, or do they have ugly faces, or ugly hair, not femanine enough? splill the bean bro.

T9nv3
18-11-2011, 15:22

So what you're saying is that we should all go out and stock up on the current metal ones :P

I run Khane "themed" lists, have a blast, and win games with it. I don't think the Witch Elf stats and rules really need to be changed.

Why is everyone so upset about witches having "big arms?" It's 2011...diversity is a good thing.....I, for one, think the gaming world needs more "butch" characters :P

AlexHolker
18-11-2011, 15:35
Why is everyone so upset about witches having "big arms?" It's 2011...diversity is a good thing.....I, for one, think the gaming world needs more "butch" characters :P
Your argument does not apply here. Saying you want "big arms" for the sake of diversity implies that the alternative is not itself under-represented.

You know what would provide diversity? Actually giving women a plastic kit for once, and not screwing it up.

Tastyfish
18-11-2011, 15:52
Bit disappointing, guess we'll have to wait for Avatars of War to hurry up and get their next regiment pack done

loveless
18-11-2011, 16:09
Honestly, they should have given the job of making plastic Witch Elves to whoever made the plastic Supreme Sorceress. That's potentially the best female GW model I own (up there with Lelith in my collection) and I'd buy a unit in the same style multiple times.

Tuatha Dar
18-11-2011, 16:22
Indeed, Juan and Jes did such a great job on the DE (40K) range I hope they'll be involved with the new DE. Btw Jes made some comment after the DE (40K) release that he had enough of eldar for some time. Was this specifically eldar or pointy ears in general?

Very good point.
I knew there was a third name I was trying to remember that did a outstanding job on female sculpts, but couldn't recall it. Juan Diaz was the name that escaped me.

Tuatha

AlexHolker
18-11-2011, 16:34
Honestly, they should have given the job of making plastic Witch Elves to whoever made the plastic Supreme Sorceress.
The one on the dragon? (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1850313a_99120212005_DreadDragon06_873x627.jpg) I agree - from that angle at least, she looks like a good example of an attractive elven face.

loveless
18-11-2011, 16:37
The one on the dragon? (http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1850313a_99120212005_DreadDragon06_873x627.jpg) I agree - from that angle at least, she looks like a good example of an attractive elven face.

I meant the one on foot (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440048a&prodId=prod1250032a) (I guess she's just a Sorceress, my bad), but the 'eavy Metal team did fail spectacularly at painting her face, so that's not a great example of her :p That said, the one on the dragon is rather nice as well.

Sarevok
18-11-2011, 17:23
Why a new book (to fix the Hydra and pendant?)
the DE is quite recent

may it just be a new wave?

T9nv3
18-11-2011, 17:25
I meant the one on foot (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440048a&prodId=prod1250032a) (I guess she's just a Sorceress, my bad), but the 'eavy Metal team did fail spectacularly at painting her face, so that's not a great example of her :p That said, the one on the dragon is rather nice as well.

Agreed, that paint job just doesn't do the model justice at all. If those figs are any indication of what is in store for the DE range, I doubt that I'll be terribly disappointed.

As long as the models have "character" I'll be happy.

Souleater
18-11-2011, 17:39

Possibly because Elves are generally thought of as having lithe, slender frames. If they are physcially identical to a normal human bar the ears then the sculptor (or designer) has not done a good job, IMO.

Tuatha Dar
18-11-2011, 20:32

The one on foot was done by Brian Nelson, the one on the Dragon was done by someone else (can't recall his name). I much prefer the one on foot to be honest. I've seen some really nice paint jobs done on that model.

Tuatha

popisdead
18-11-2011, 21:14

Minotaur disappointing? Guess they'll sell more Dark Eldar Wyches for conversions then :P

Tlotsqi
18-11-2011, 21:50
the witch elves i saw were extremely disappointing...
Can you explain why, and do you know who is the sculptor?

Kaos
19-11-2011, 07:56
New Dark Elves in 2013..Hmmmm.. That sounds perfect, gives me time to try and finish my other projects hopefully and start a new Dark Elf one.

Cheers-Kaos

ghost21
19-11-2011, 10:44
Could you elaborate on this at all? were they like the eldar wyches with big arms and fully clothed, or do they have ugly faces, or ugly hair, not femanine enough? splill the bean bro.

they look like men, from 2nd ed

AlexHolker
19-11-2011, 11:47
they look like men, from 2nd ed
****. Why does GW hate women so? Do they not recognise a licence to print money when they see it?

ghost21
19-11-2011, 12:16
****. Why does GW hate women so? Do they not recognise a licence to print money when they see it?

dont ask me why, butt if they were good i would have bought masses to do an amazon army

im not

AoW please dont disapoint

static grass
19-11-2011, 12:37

My theory is that none of the sculptors has spent any time with a naked woman before.

ghost21
19-11-2011, 12:56
My theory is that none of the sculptors has spent any time with a naked woman before.

and the sculptor who did left... yeah.. im stil bitter over the deamonette issue

Tokamak
19-11-2011, 13:36
:confused:

What was wrong with the HE treatment?

The metal models were delicate and subtle while the plastic ones are exaggerated and plumb.

and the sculptor who did left... yeah.. im stil bitter over the deamonette issue
Seriously, Juan Diaz's daemonettes were terrific in multiple senses of the word.

Daniel36
19-11-2011, 13:53

But... but... but... the whole reason internet was created was to remedy that problem, right? GW sculptors have access to internet, don't they?

But yeah, I too am bitter about the Daemonette issue... Oh well...

jme
19-11-2011, 14:18
From the OP post it seems they are WIP so lets not poopoo them until there are seen (a long while off). Whatever they look like, they could be worse, mantic could do them!

Daemonia
19-11-2011, 14:28
But... but... but... the whole reason internet was created was to remedy that problem, right? GW sculptors have access to internet, don't they?

Just be glad they didn't make any Lolicrons with the latest release. I was convinced they would make female Necrons just because.

I loved the old Witch Elves but I didn't really care for the new Wyches myself. They do indeed look like tough and rugged gladiators -a perfectly reasonable aesthetic honestly- but I don't want Witch Elves to follow that trend. Part of being an Elf is being lithe and delicate and part of being female in any fantasy setting is having a disproportionately 'feminine' figure and almost no clothing.

ghost21
19-11-2011, 14:47
From the OP post it seems they are WIP so lets not poopoo them until there are seen (a long while off). Whatever they look like, they could be worse, mantic could do them!

unless they scrapped the versions i saw, they would be better if they had

Brother Dimetrius
19-11-2011, 15:39
I think this must be a new record, Warseer hate for a kit that's not due to come out for 18-24 months :D

Mr. Ultra
19-11-2011, 16:58
I don't get it... I missed the link to the witch elf kit or something? :wtf:

Brother Dimetrius
19-11-2011, 17:10
I think you underestimate the firmly Platonic nature of rumour threads when they pertain to specific releases Mr. Ultra :)

Druchii Monkey
19-11-2011, 18:02

I think the plastic sorceress on foot and the ones on the plastic dragon kit are good starting points, better starting points than the 40K wyches.

However the plastic sorceress on foot has a rather wiry arm pointing forwards and lacks the athleticism you would expect from witch elves.

Personally i think the absolute best starting point is Lelith Hesperex - absolutely awesome model and excellent dynamic pose, long hair, not the short bobs of the rest of the wyches (urch) - keep it feminine, long flowing hair, but deadly.

static grass
20-11-2011, 00:08

lol. Yup my theory is based on the Daemonette sculpts. Clearly someone knows exactly what the female form is like.

Tupinamba
20-11-2011, 00:32
Id just like to see plastic Dark Riders and a new Manticore. No new book and new units and I particularly like the Exec and BG models as they are.

GW brought out a new plastic Black Dragon, so there really is hope that updates of older stuff could appear sooner than is thought.

Harry
20-11-2011, 08:53
I am a little confused about the "deamonette issue" being discussed.

What is/was the issue?

... and who do we think has left?

Baggers
20-11-2011, 09:07

What is/was the issue?

... and who do we think has left?

I think it is a game of Chinese whispers Harry. Someone mentioned the difference in styles between Juan Diaz, who is still there, 6th edition deamonettes and the current plastics. This opened a whole can of worms that has been around since they plastics were released.

AlexHolker
20-11-2011, 11:57
Lots of people liked the Diaznettes that don't like the deliberately ugly retro look of the plastics, and the handwave about being supposed to be ugly is no consolation. GW's complete failure to recognise the demand for their return and put them in the Collectors' Range or anything like that does not help either.

Druchii Monkey
20-11-2011, 12:08
Are those the daemonettes with 3 pairs of boobs each?

shabbadoo
20-11-2011, 12:20

What is/was the issue?
I think "the issue" has to do with a comparison of the plastic Daemonettes with the Juan Diaz metal Daemonettes that they replaced; the issue being that the plastics are not nearly as fine/feminine. Now, imagine new Witch Elves being worked on that have more in common with the plastic Daemonettes than with those metal Daemonettes, or even with the 40K Dark Eldar Wyches. Not that I've seen anything on the new stuff, but I think that a lack of fineness/femininity is "the issue" being referred to.

Punk_in_Drublic
20-11-2011, 12:36
I don't get it. Why GW doesn't prioritize the revamping of a terribly dated core set.

Myself, I started my Chaos army immediately after they updated the chaos warriors, back in the days.

The excellent new skaven clanrats set also made me jump that bandwagon.

In my opinion the high elf and dark elf spearmen are what the old chaos warrior set used to be. The stick out like an ugly, sore thumb amongst the rather naff regiments of their respective armies.

I'd love to see new plastic harpies and new dark elf warriors. But for the harpies, I hope that the new VC will produce some cool bats or something that I can use instead of "daemonettes with wings harpies".

Anardakil
20-11-2011, 12:50
The new daemonettes are awesome in my opinion :) i think the whole sort of hermaphrodite theme fits Slaanesh daemons very well. But most people are disappointed in them it seems, because they were expecting sexy chicks.

It would be disappointing if the new witch elves don't look like women though :P However i think people are a bit too hard on GW for not sculpting females well. They've made some excellent female models in the wood elves, dark elves, bretonnian and dark eldar ranges.
i think people in this hobby are generally more picky with GW's females than their males because most of the hobbyists are guys and want to see pretty female models ;)

Sometimes they do fail impressively though, i can't deny that. A certain high elven wizard comes to mind... :P my point is however that i don't think they're necessarily any worse at sculpting females than males, just that the customers are less picky about what a male should look like.

DarkMark
20-11-2011, 13:18

Mrs. Goodwin might have something to say about that;) More likely is that female forms are expected by GW buyers to be size zero with a DD bust:rolleyes:.

Far too salty and early for any real credability.:(

rodmillard
20-11-2011, 13:38
Sometimes they do fail impressively though, i can't deny that. A certain high elven wizard comes to mind... :P my point is however that i don't think they're necessarily any worse at sculpting females than males, just that the customers are less picky about what a male should look like.

Which is strange, because most of their target demographic will be much more familiar with the male form than female... :p

Brother Dimetrius
20-11-2011, 14:14
In my opinion the high elf and dark elf spearmen are what the old chaos warrior set used to be. The stick out like an ugly, sore thumb amongst the rather naff regiments of their respective armies.

The current priority seems to be to convert the majority of regiments into plastic where possible, with finecast consisting of the remainder. According to that philosophy revamping existing plastic kits is not high on the to do list.

Tuatha Dar
20-11-2011, 14:38
The current priority seems to be to convert the majority of regiments into plastic where possible, with finecast consisting of the remainder. According to that philosophy revamping existing plastic kits is not high on the to do list.

True, and I can live with the current Dark Elf Spearmen/Crossbowmen. Not to mention the new Corsairs which are VERY nice. The High Spearmen/archers are of course an entirely different subject and a different thread, they are atrocious IMO.

For the Dark Elves, there really are alot of things that could be targeted for plastic re-releases besides the Spearmen/RCBs including:

- Dark Riders (among the very oldest models still being used in Warhammer)
- Harpies
- Executioners
- Black Guard
- Witch Elves
- Shades
- Witch Elf Death Hag/Cauldron of Blood
- Cold One Chariots
- Characters on Dark Pegasus
- Manticore (the new monstrosity they came out with for SoM doesn't count)

I seriously doubt they'll re-do the Hydra or RBT since they just released those in Resin.

So GW has a very large part of the Dark Elf range to re-do, not even counting anything new.

Tuatha

Punk_in_Drublic
20-11-2011, 14:42
In my opinion, the exec could just be released finecast. The Black guard *could* use an upgrade.

I get the argument, and the priority about getting an all plastic/resin range for the current armies, but from a design perspective, the core spearman/rxb regiment is the biggest problem.

Sheena Easton
20-11-2011, 15:04
If they get decent plastic Dark Riders and Witch Elves, I'd finally start the Dark Elf army I've always wanted but never got round to...

Though if they go back to the style of 4th / 5th Ed (http://www.solegends.com/citcat1998/1998P153-01.htm) (or the older Marauder (http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm73dewitches.htm) ones) then I suspect I'd be the only person who likes them...

Mrs. Goodwin might have something to say about that;) More likely is that female forms are expected by GW buyers to be size zero with a DD bust :rolleyes:

With said bust barely contained by cobweb strand used as a token nod towards decency of course...

Druchii Monkey
20-11-2011, 15:08
In my opinion, the exec could just be released finecast. The Black guard *could* use an upgrade.

I get the argument, and the priority about getting an all plastic/resin range for the current armies, but from a design perspective, the core spearman/rxb regiment is the biggest problem.

Witch elves could be the priority for a number of reasons.

1. Apparently AOW is working on their set. IP considerations.

2. They can count as core for a DE Khainite army with Crone Hellebron. If they put the witch elves in plastic and succeed, along with executioners in finecast like you suggest, they will unlock a huge amount of purchasing in their DE customers.

3. It's a huge challenge. People don't think they can get it right, but their challenge is to surprise us and make it work - whoever did Lelith Hesperix needs to be on that team. The witch elves should be the next step up for GW in demonstrating to us what they are capable of. The DE sorceress was a test model for the sort of expressiveness i'm hoping for but maybe if they're not sure of direction they should do two different finecast versions, see which sells more and do the plastic unit based on that.

Also i have heard/seen rumours, can't remember quite where exactly that Dark Elves will be a cheeky May/June release between the planned 40K releases.

Druchii Monkey
20-11-2011, 15:19
If they get decent plastic Dark Riders and Witch Elves, I'd finally start the Dark Elf army I've always wanted but never got round to...

Though if they go back to the style of 4th / 5th Ed (http://www.solegends.com/citcat1998/1998P153-01.htm) (or the older Marauder (http://www.solegends.com/marauder/mm73dewitches.htm) ones) then I suspect I'd be the only person who likes them...

With said bust barely contained by cobweb strand used as a token nod towards decency of course...

A mate of min had those and they looked pretty cool then on the table but that was 20 years ago - look feels a bit dated now.

Prefer this kind of look:
http://www.freebooterminiatures.de/en/catalog/65
http://www.freebooterminiatures.de/en/catalog/67
http://www.freebooterminiatures.de/en/catalog/54
http://www.freebooterminiatures.de/en/catalog/55

theJ
21-11-2011, 07:38
Well... The spikes can be extra bitz. If you make the body the same (quite easily done, it's basically robes and armour plate). Give us two distinctly different head and shield options and you will be done...

They aren't THAT different, are they?

yes... yes they really are that different.

As mentioned, none of the bits would be the same. The legs would be different, the chest would be different, both arms+weapons would be different... the head is the only part that COULD be effectively shared... and even those would benefit immensely from separate designs... unless the aesthetics are revamped, as mentioned.

Regardless, Dark Elf core is quite fine. Dark Elf kits that needs remaking are Dark Riders and Harpies, primarily. The specials could benefit from plastics as well, and the Hydra could use a new sculpt (but it ain't vital to get in plastic).

Overall, making new Witch Elves make sense. The current sculpts, while charming in their own way, overall follow a "cartoon" style that does not fit into the rest of the range. Also factor in that Witch Elves are quite iconic, and that good female models tend to sell well, and the choice is obvious.

EDIT: I've taken another look at them and I've come to realise that their biggest problem (as with many older models, tbh) are the poses. They're far too... "swingey". I'd say it looks like they're posing for something, except nobody would ever strike a pose like that. It might make them less eyecatching, but giving them a more standard "walk slowly forward" pose would make them a lot more pleasing to the eye... Alternatively, you could pose them running forward, Wych style, which would fit them a whole lot better, but might be harder to model properly.

@Ghost: Could we have more of a description of the new ones than "disappointing"? Has their equipment had any aesthetic changes? How are their poses? Do they all have a "standard" look, or are they more individual? How are they on the bit & conversion side of things? Anything you could give us would be greatly appreciated :)

zoggin-eck
21-11-2011, 08:40
I've got a load of the earlier witch elves armed with sword and shield, fully clothed, so perhaps I won't feel silly using them as witch elves again if the new ones are naff. They are currently hiding in the rear ranks of crossbowmen regiments :)

I'm happy to wait and see, rather than fret over one persons opinion of unfinished models. I own and enjoy entire armies of models that others would hate.

SideshowLucifer
22-11-2011, 05:27
I miss my old Witchelves with the 80's hairstyle in rainbow hues.

shabbadoo
22-11-2011, 07:41
More likely is that female forms are expected by GW buyers to be size zero with a DD bust:rolleyes:.
Well, not necessarily the DD bust, but the size 0, yes. These are female Dark Elves (http://www.gamezone.com/news/dark_elves_and_high_elves_battle_it_out_in_new_ass ets_from_warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning), not Crumb Girls (http://www.skylighters.org/amanoutoftime/devilgirls3.jpg).

theJ
22-11-2011, 12:48
Well, not necessarily the DD bust, but the size 0, yes. These are female Dark Elves (http://www.gamezone.com/news/dark_elves_and_high_elves_battle_it_out_in_new_ass ets_from_warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning), not Crumb Girls (http://www.skylighters.org/amanoutoftime/devilgirls3.jpg).

It both scares and intrigues me that you keep pictures like that on hand...

Silvertongue
22-11-2011, 15:59
@Ghost: Could we have more of a description of the new ones than "disappointing"? Has their equipment had any aesthetic changes? How are their poses? Do they all have a "standard" look, or are they more individual? How are they on the bit & conversion side of things? Anything you could give us would be greatly appreciated :)

Yes, please. Some detail about their equipment or hair would be nice. I had the hope that GW would draw inspiration from the WAR Witch Elves, which are wonderful in my opinion.
And I for one hope they don't bring back the horrid Bonnie Tyler-esque superfeathered 80's hair. Braids, long flowing hair, even rastas or whatever, or shaven heads for all I care... But no 80's hair. Please.

Azazyll
22-11-2011, 18:17
See, I prefer the older style to the newer ones. Ultimately less cartoony. But if they could just all be like Lelith I think we'd all be happy - ie a feminine face and reasonably-sized breasts.

spartan41
22-11-2011, 18:31
Yes, please. Some detail about their equipment or hair would be nice. I had the hope that GW would draw inspiration from the WAR Witch Elves, which are wonderful in my opinion.
And I for one hope they don't bring back the horrid Bonnie Tyler-esque superfeathered 80's hair. Braids, long flowing hair, even rastas or whatever, or shaven heads for all I care... But no 80's hair. Please.

the WAR witch elves look great to me and it would suprise me if they took them in a different direction.

Plus maybe ghost is just having some fun with us and really he saw they are going to be epic, and everyone will want a Witch elf army.

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 18:38
Lots of people liked the Diaznettes that don't like the deliberately ugly retro look of the plastics, and the handwave about being supposed to be ugly is no consolation. GW's complete failure to recognise the demand for their return and put them in the Collectors' Range or anything like that does not help either.

It just seems change for the sake of change. A real shame.

It would be so much better if GW just attempted to replicate these metal elite units in plastic as accurately as posssible. The elves and daemons all had amazing metal models, why not seize upon that and produce the same in plastic (where possible?).

Silvertongue
22-11-2011, 18:43
See, I prefer the older style to the newer ones. Ultimately less cartoony. But if they could just all be like Lelith I think we'd all be happy - ie a feminine face and reasonably-sized breasts.

In fact, I think we need Diaz and Goodwin to do these. Alas, I'm not expecting them to. Do we even have a clue who's sculpting them?

theJ
22-11-2011, 20:18
@Silvertongue:
Well.. Ghost said they "look like men" (still hoping for more of a description, btw :)). As both Jes and Diaz have proven their ability to sculpt convincing women (I think?), it shouldn't be either of them...

Harry
22-11-2011, 20:36
I think it is a game of Chinese whispers Harry. Someone mentioned the difference in styles between Juan Diaz, who is still there, 6th edition deamonettes and the current plastics. This opened a whole can of worms that has been around since they plastics were released.OK This is why I was confused ... as Juan Diaz is defo still there ...

.... and still sculpting gals. :shifty:

I think "the issue" is has to do with a comparison of the plastic Daemonettes with the Juan Diaz metal Daemonettes that they replaced; the issue being that the plastics are not nearly as fine/feminine. Now, imagine new Witch Elves being worked on that have more in common with the plastic Daemonettes than with those metal Daemonettes, or even with the 40K Dark Eldar Wyches. Not that I've seen anything on the new stuff, but I think that a lack of fineness/femininity is "the issue" being referred to.
Personally I liked the 4th edition muscle Marys with the strap on tentacles. :D

Joking aside having seen Juan Diaz daemonette sculpts I am not sure why he wouldn't be first pick for Witch Elves.

With said bust barely contained by cobweb strand used as a token nod towards decency of course...Which would be Ok but its a bugger to paint. :D

sulla
23-11-2011, 04:47
Wost comes to worst, I'll just keep the current metals as my front rankers and use plastic witch elves (or plastic Avatars of War girls) as the back rankers.
It just seems change for the sake of change. A real shame.

It would be so much better if GW just attempted to replicate these metal elite units in plastic as accurately as posssible. The elves and daemons all had amazing metal models, why not seize upon that and produce the same in plastic (where possible?).In the case of the plastic core, GW looked at their past and made the daemonettes, bloodletters and horrors sort of a mix between the newer and older shapes.

The Cold one knights and corsairs were similar. They both lost the silly 6th edition weapons and in the case if the knights, lost the battle cows for older style mounts and had options for both the 6th edition headpieces and the older style.

I imagine future DE plastics will contain elements of the current and previous models.

Malakai
22-12-2011, 00:59
New Witch Elves would be great, assuming that someone like Brian Nelson or Jes Goodwin sculpts them. They and others at the studio such as ummm...ummm, well, anyway, THEY can sculpt women really well.

Tuatha

Eldargal said she heard they looked bad. Shame, I wonder if I should buy some metal ones.

sulla
22-12-2011, 04:00
Eldargal said she heard they looked bad. Shame, I wonder if I should buy some metal ones.Buy them if you like the models. That way, even if better ones come out, you will still have models you like the look of. And if the future ones are worse looking, you won't have to search the internet for metal ones...

Omnichron
22-12-2011, 09:40
I wouldn't be surprised if those kinds of models would take a turn for the worse. It seems like the naked manly minis are flourishing amongst GW (orcs, ogres and so on), while the feminine ones just seems to get more manly and covered up as well.

I for one, hated the wyches for Dark Eldar. They seemed to me like some mutation between the necromunda Goliaths and elves, which just was very un-eldar to me. The new witches SHOULD be something closer to Lelith Hesperax when it comes to the build of body and looks though (Except not so much armor as Lelith has....... :p )

Anyways, if GW lets us down, there's always other minis out there which can represent the deadly dark elf ladies. I for one crosses my fingers and hope that they will make something closer to the old daemonettes.

theJ
22-12-2011, 15:15
@Omnichron:
You're angry because warriors are wearing armour now?

wow...

Honestly, having your little ladies run around naked just ruins the immersion for me. Limited clothing? Sure, that works fine, but removing all of it "just because" doesn't actually add anything to the model - quite the opposite, in fact.

/rant over, for now.

Druchii Monkey
22-12-2011, 16:15
Joking aside I having seen Juan Diaz daemonette sculpts I am not sure why he wouldn't be first pick for Witch Elves.

If he did Lelith then he has my vote but there is also Aragorn Marks (formerly at Rackham) who has joined or is joining GW. He might be interesting to get on the project too.
http://aragornmarks.blogspot.com/

eldargal
22-12-2011, 16:31
He did sculpt Lelith. I find his female sculpts variable, they are nice but the hairlines are too high, they look like they have croyden facelifts.

silent25
22-12-2011, 17:07
While Aragorn has done some nice models, I personally found his Soda Pop mini's to be weak and far from his best work. Though that one of them appears to have been done in 3D. Might mean we can expect some nice plastics from him :)

Don't forget Jes Goodwin as always and Brian Nelson did sculpt the plastic dark elf sorceress.

popisdead
23-12-2011, 18:35
OK This is why I was confused ... as Juan Diaz is defo still there ...

Happy dance!

Heart Juan's sculpts.

Tuatha Dar
23-12-2011, 18:54
Anyways, if GW lets us down, there's always other minis out there which can represent the deadly dark elf ladies. I for one crosses my fingers and hope that they will make something closer to the old daemonettes.

Indeed, if Avatars of War comes out with Witch Elves as I think has been rumored, and they are good, anything GW comes out with isn't nearly as important at that point.

Tuatha

sulla
23-12-2011, 21:09
Indeed, if Avatars of War comes out with Witch Elves as I think has been rumored, and they are good, anything GW comes out with isn't nearly as important at that point.

TuathaI've got all of Avatars of War Dark Elf sculpts and the hag queen is the least impressive of them. I hope they do a little better on their plastics.

By the same token, GW would have to do pretty well with multipart plastics to match their own plastic DE sorceress. I'm not looking forward to green stuffing all the shoulder joints on either company's products. :D

Lord Dan
23-12-2011, 21:27
Wait...

The guy's name is really Aragorn?

ihavetoomuchminis
23-12-2011, 21:50
Wait...

The guy's name is really Aragorn?

That's what i was thinking too...

Everytime i read "Aragorn this" or "Aragorn that" i feel strange....

Shimmergloom
23-12-2011, 22:10
I wouldn't be surprised if those kinds of models would take a turn for the worse. It seems like the naked manly minis are flourishing amongst GW (orcs, ogres and so on), while the feminine ones just seems to get more manly and covered up as well.

Yes, I don't understand this. I don't know why my savage orcs are running around naked.

I don't want a bunch of naked witch elves either, but I do want them to be attractive and not looking like men like the dark eldar wytches do.

The Lelith dark eldar model is great. I actually bought one(metal) to be the general for my dark elves. I don't know why they can't be consistent.

Harry
23-12-2011, 22:13
:D Aragorn is his real name and he has been working for GW for a while.
(But it will be a little while longer before we see very much of what he has done since his arrival).

He is not the only 'new' sculptor they have taken on.
Steve Buddle (Eolith/Spyglass) is back at GW and he is great at sculpting girls. (Naked or clothed. :D)

ghost21
23-12-2011, 23:34
new dark elf chariots that can make sth else too (unsure on what though)

Silvertongue
24-12-2011, 02:39
Well, that's interesting and would have both HE and DE with a dual chariot kit. Although, for my life, I can't guess what can that "other thing" be, unless another type of chariot (pulled by different beasts or manned by different Elves).

Lord Dan
24-12-2011, 03:16
Wood elf chariot!!!

DarkMark
24-12-2011, 09:54
new dark elf chariots that can make sth else too (unsure on what though)

Cauldron perhaps?:D

shabbadoo
24-12-2011, 10:16
Could it be just a change of steeds like the High Elf Chariot has, in this case Dark Steeds and Cold Ones?

Lord Dan
24-12-2011, 13:42
Could it be just a change of steeds like the High Elf Chariot has, in this case Dark Steeds and Cold Ones?

That's actually a great suggestion. Can anyone confirm this?

the Witch kings regent
26-12-2011, 04:53
i wish they would come out with new dark riders. ours are from 5th. so old and you can't even get a full unit from GW anymore. If they come out with a cold one chariot though ill get one and try it out. look to be fun and it might be a culdron of blood. which would rock

cosy
27-12-2011, 11:08
Even if I fear it will not be the case, I really hope the new witch elves will be as naked as possible!

It just suites them and gives them character, same for slaanesh units and harpies.

We have incredible fluff with magic mushrooms, XTC (warpstone tokens), mother-son incest, hermaphrodite gods, snotlings giving the finger, greenskin asses,... naked elves won't shock me in the least :-D

Lord Zarkov
27-12-2011, 12:33
Even if I fear it will not be the case, I really hope the new witch elves will be as naked as possible!

It just suites them and gives them character, same for slaanesh units and harpies.

We have incredible fluff with magic mushrooms, XTC (warpstone tokens), mother-son incest, hermaphrodite gods, snotlings giving the finger, greenskin asses,... naked elves won't shock me in the least :-D

Hopefully they'll have loin cloths - the VC ghouls (and the soon-to-be-released Crypt Horrors) demonstrate the horrifying alternative, and that suits even less ;)

Liber
27-12-2011, 12:34
XTC (warpstone tokens)

Pretty sure warpstone is supposed to be cocaine :D

Omnichron
02-01-2012, 11:54
@Omnichron:
You're angry because warriors are wearing armour now?

Do witch elves have armor? I don't see light armor or heavy armor in their profile, so why should the miniatures wear armor? If you see fluff and pictures of them, they are wearing very few clothes and shows lots of skin. I don't want them naked, but I want them fluffy. I hope they will have some of the same looks as Warhammer Online...

Also, warriors without armor isn't unheard of. It has actually been quite common in our real world. Why would a fantasy game like Warhammer have everyone in armor?

Athlan na Dyr
03-01-2012, 03:18
Witch Elves with no clothes or very limited clothing makes perfect bloody sense. They are married to their god, Khaine, and he only really bothers to look at them when they're tearing people apart and showering themselves with fresh blood. Now, as a man, I can assure any and all that the less a woman of healthy weight is wearing, the more captivating and pleasing she appears (a very well known fact, as I'm sure we can all attest). Ergo, they are doing it for their man and to gain his favour.
Now stop complaining and let them make Khaine a visual sandwich.:shifty:

spartan41
03-01-2012, 03:42
Yeah, fluffwise I gotta say they should be as naked as possible..
In the book "Bloody Handed" it talks about the khaininite gatherings in Athel Toralien and how they would be given narcotics in which(as described by Hellebron) one of the effects was wanting to take all their clothes off.

I'm sculpting my own witch elves right now and there's going to be two varients, one completely naked with only heels and circelts, and one with skimy type armor and loin cloth. I have no faith I will be pleased with GW witches after the Wyches were redone. (Sorry for the rant)

Back to the subject of Dark elf release date:

For new mini's, undoubtedly were going to get new dark rider sculpts and I'm super excited for these!

Hellebore
03-01-2012, 04:26
Please oh please don't sculpt yours with heels. :cries:

Nakedness isn't a problem - there are plenty of male models in fantasy almost naked.

But combat heels just look ridiculous and do nothing except require the unit break their ankles on a 4+ every turn.... Or they count open ground as very difficult terrain as their heels sink into the dirt.

Heels only work in modern times because we have hard surfaces to walk on.

I hate combat heels so much....:cries:

Hellebore

sulla
03-01-2012, 07:01
Heels only work in modern times because we have hard surfaces to walk on.

I hate combat heels so much....:cries:

Hellebore
"Pull back! It's soft earth!" :D:D:D

theJ
03-01-2012, 08:57
Witch Elves with no clothes or very limited clothing makes perfect bloody sense. They are married to their god, Khaine, and he only really bothers to look at them when they're tearing people apart and showering themselves with fresh blood. Now, as a man, I can assure any and all that the less a woman of healthy weight is wearing, the more captivating and pleasing she appears (a very well known fact, as I'm sure we can all attest). Ergo, they are doing it for their man and to gain his favour.
Now stop complaining and let them make Khaine a visual sandwich.:shifty:

To be perfectly honest... no, there does in fact come a moment when taking more clothes off stops making you prettier...
Not to mention, as you yourself said, Khaine cares about them spilling blood, not about them "being pretty", as such, they should be going to any attainable length to spill blood - stripping themselves of equipment is quite the opposite of that.

The WaR witchies were perfect. They carried few clothes, but no, they weren't quite naked, and frankly, they never should be (only very very close to it).

Yeah, fluffwise I gotta say they should be as naked as possible..
In the book "Bloody Handed" it talks about the khaininite gatherings in Athel Toralien and how they would be given narcotics in which(as described by Hellebron) one of the effects was wanting to take all their clothes off.

That's... quite disturbing.

Also, please no combat heels. Anything but combat heels.
If you feel like you have to cover their feet (for whatever reason) then I'd be fine with that, but don't give them any damn combat heels!

Trains_Get_Robbed
03-01-2012, 09:26
^^^ Amen, Combat heels are a no go, especially on an already naked model.

Napalm
03-01-2012, 11:39
To be perfectly honest... no, there does in fact come a moment when taking more clothes off stops making you prettier...
Not to mention, as you yourself said, Khaine cares about them spilling blood, not about them "being pretty", as such, they should be going to any attainable length to spill blood - stripping themselves of equipment is quite the opposite of that.

Well, naked crazy warriors using some kind of narcotics = berserkers, that's not so new or so fantasy.

Lord Zarkov
03-01-2012, 12:01

I would say stripping themselves of armour increases the amount of blood spilt ;)

Spiney Norman
03-01-2012, 12:56

Agreed

Executioners and Black Guard should be separate. Very different character.

Maybe, but they don't really look that different. They have produced some pretty stellar dual use kits, and when it comes down to it there isn't a massive amount of difference between the two visually. Different helmets, different weapons, ok so executioners have a little more mail on show, but I don't think that would be too difficult to vary with a good multipart kit.

And just because execs are the poor cousin of BG in the current book, doesn't mean they wont outshine them in a new one, I wouldn't be too quick to condemn any of my army's metal units to finecast when they could be up for a shiny new plastic kit.

AlphariusOmegon20
03-01-2012, 18:54
Personally i think the absolute best starting point is Lelith Hesperex - absolutely awesome model and excellent dynamic pose, long hair, not the short bobs of the rest of the wyches (urch) - keep it feminine, long flowing hair, but deadly.

This +1.

Hell, I thought Lelith's model WAS a new Dark Elf Witch Elf model, until I found out it was for Dark ELDAR instead.

Silvertongue
04-01-2012, 16:12
Maybe, but they don't really look that different. They have produced some pretty stellar dual use kits, and when it comes down to it there isn't a massive amount of difference between the two visually. Different helmets, different weapons, ok so executioners have a little more mail on show, but I don't think that would be too difficult to vary with a good multipart kit.

And just because execs are the poor cousin of BG in the current book, doesn't mean they wont outshine them in a new one, I wouldn't be too quick to condemn any of my army's metal units to finecast when they could be up for a shiny new plastic kit.

I'm not completely against the idea of a combined kit. However, I think they deserve a kit for each one. The argument against this is that "they don't look that different" and that "they both have two-handers". Well, for the first thing, they DO look quite different. Of course they have elements in common (they both are DE elites, small wonder), but what is being dismissed as "a little more mail on show" ends up being quite important when we're talking about miniatures. Also, I think it's fairly possible (if they go the separate kits route) that they give the Execs a bit more of a khainite feel: skin pelts or whatever.
Also, in the attitude portrayed in the mini they should be quite different. Execs are more calm than Witch Elves (but let's face it, a rhabid squirrell is more calm than them!), but not as ominous as BG.
As for the second argument against having two kits, the two-handed weapons thing... well, White Lions and Phoenix Guards both have two-handed weapons. Does anyone think they look the same, or that they could have had any kind of benefit from a combined kit?

Like I said, I'm not completely against a combined kit (they've been doing some great ones lately), but I think they both deserve their own.

Spiney Norman
04-01-2012, 16:24
I'm not completely against the idea of a combined kit. However, I think they deserve a kit for each one. The argument against this is that "they don't look that different" and that "they both have two-handers". Well, for the first thing, they DO look quite different. Of course they have elements in common (they both are DE elites, small wonder), but what is being dismissed as "a little more mail on show" ends up being quite important when we're talking about miniatures. Also, I think it's fairly possible (if they go the separate kits route) that they give the Execs a bit more of a khainite feel: skin pelts or whatever.
Also, in the attitude portrayed in the mini they should be quite different. Execs are more calm than Witch Elves (but let's face it, a rhabid squirrell is more calm than them!), but not as ominous as BG.
As for the second argument against having two kits, the two-handed weapons thing... well, White Lions and Phoenix Guards both have two-handed weapons. Does anyone think they look the same, or that they could have had any kind of benefit from a combined kit?

Like I said, I'm not completely against a combined kit (they've been doing some great ones lately), but I think they both deserve their own.

White lions and phoenix guard are probably too different because of the lion pelts the WLs wear, but they could certainly have combined phoenix guard with swordsmasters if they'd just made the cloaks separate to the torsos, though I suppose that would have detracted from their emotional blackmail to make people buy multiple island of blood sets.

The advantage of a combo kit is that you would get both units redone in the same kit, which means that either you get both units redone when you would have only gotten one redone, OR you get both kits redone AND something else. You also end up with loads of cool extra bits whichever way you choose to assemble the multipart kit.

Druchii Monkey
04-01-2012, 18:35

The thing is i love the current look for the Executioners. I like the full chain-mail look they have whereas the Black Guard are heavily plated up. I think it would be a challenge to do these as a multi-kit, and the Executioners would end up losing some of their distinct character. I think however they do these they should maintain a very distinct character, and would even be interested to see the Executioners heading more in the Khainite Acolyte direction where they lose some of the armour for robes, although the chain-mail would probably win out for me in the end.

I agree with everything you say bar the skin-pelts. That's seditious cult-of-pleasure style behaviour. :(

Lars Porsenna
04-01-2012, 18:43
GW certainly could do a multi-kit for Executioners/Black Guard. They would have to "change" the look of one or the other however. But it is not like this is the first time they've done such a thing (remember when Execs had axes instead of swords?)

Damon.

Spider-pope
05-01-2012, 09:16
I don't get it. Why GW doesn't prioritize the revamping of a terribly dated core set.

Nothing about this rumour suggests that there isn't work ongoing on a new Dark Elf Warrior kit, just that if it does exist Eldargals sources didnt manage to sneak a peek at it.

lbecks
05-01-2012, 10:58
Nothing about this rumour suggests that there isn't work ongoing on a new Dark Elf Warrior kit, just that if it does exist Eldargals sources didnt manage to sneak a peek at it.

The Warriors have had their magic 12 years. Though the fact that the VC zombies, also 12, haven't been replaced is a little unsettling.

eldargal
05-01-2012, 11:00
To paraphrase one of my old archaeology professors, absence of rumour isn't a rumour of absence. We may see new DArk Elf warriors in the future, we just don't know it. There may be zombies in a future VC wave, we just don't know. Personally I would much, much rather see DE specials go from metal to plastic before they bother with new cores.

lbecks
05-01-2012, 11:32
I'd prefer they update everything except for the plastic black dragon, corsairs, cold ones, and sorceress. Keep any new plastics consistent with these.

WokeUpDead
05-01-2012, 13:08
I'd like new cores first. they are the signature units and the one who define the look of the army, as cores are the units you put most of on the table (at least I do / try to).
but HE/DE spearmen/archers are rather.. let's just say it: butt-ugly.

decent new plastics would breath new life into these armies for me.

Druchii Monkey
05-01-2012, 21:18
Personally I would much, much rather see DE specials go from metal to plastic before they bother with new cores.

Completely agree. For me DE warriors are fine, and form a nice easy to paint core that look good when ranked up. Even if they were going to change i would much, much rather they focused on the specials first.

As regards to any rumours i have heard of a possible release of one of the DE kits mid year - possibly Witch Elves. This is third hand from this forum or another, but also comes with the possibly tenuous link to AOW allegedly making their Witch Elf kit at the moment, and a reference on Gav Thorpe's blog shortly after the DE sorceress release about the possibility of Witch Elves followed by Dwarven Slayers and him being quite keen on the idea. Really quite tenuous i know but i fancy the chances.

Q: "Given the cool hair achieved for the plastic sorceress is it now time for plastic witch elves and cauldron? Cool dark eldar models out there but would be good to get poseable fantasy witch elves matching art work in books. Cheers."

A: "I think that looks possible now – I was always keen to make Witch Elves in plastic as soon as it was feasible. After that, Slayers!"
- Gav Thorpe - On September 9, 2011 at 1:50 pm

rkunisch
06-01-2012, 14:04
GW certainly could do a multi-kit for Executioners/Black Guard. They would have to "change" the look of one or the other however. But it is not like this is the first time they've done such a thing (remember when Execs had axes instead of swords?)
Well, I remember a Dwarf kit where they did exactly that and it was far from been impressive. :(

Cheers,

Rolf.

the Witch kings regent
08-01-2012, 10:59

Damon.

the axes were a special at a Gamesday. ant not normal release. before you had to convert pretty much

Gosford
10-01-2012, 03:18
To paraphrase one of my old archaeology professors, absence of rumour isn't a rumour of absence. We may see new DArk Elf warriors in the future, we just don't know it. There may be zombies in a future VC wave, we just don't know. Personally I would much, much rather see DE specials go from metal to plastic before they bother with new cores.

Yes! Thank you!!!

And if there will be an Exe/BG dual kit, I wouldn't mind seeing Exes go to axes. Would make a lot of sense.

Also, i'd like to see BG get a shield option whenever a new book rolls around. Give BG an option for shield and additional option for 4+ special BG armour (shield required) which could allow you to build a pretty nice defense unit. Less killy in strength, more survivable. More or less on par with Chaos Warriors but with elf toughness. Could be fun.

You could even add another option for a second infamous Black Guard leader (like Kouran) who is only available to BG units who run shield and 4+armour. He could have his own unique set of rules different from Kouran.

Hell, give executioners dual hand weapon option too and then they TOO could have a second unique leader.

For fluff you could even say that Kouran's infamous unit and X's infamous unit are longtime rivals. In addition, when both units are taken on the field with their respected leaders, the army gains more bonuses. For example, if Kouran's unit charges an enemy unit and X's BG charge the same unit, whoever does the most wounds gets an extra +1 combat rez. So they are always competing. Not necessarily a good example, but just an example nonethelss.

The game is already broken to all hell on so many levels, might as well add more fun to it. Of course, these options would be pretty pricey and may not find tournament tables very often (if at all due to comp)

All in all, I want to see more stuff like this. More options, more fluff that can literally feed into the game.

OPTIONS!!!! FUN! :P

a bit of a rant...oops! >.<

Silvertongue
10-01-2012, 15:48
I, for one, would loathe for the Exec axes to be back. I love the look of their draich. Looks way more vicious and sleek, and certainly less cartoony than the "Big Super Axe Of Being An Executioner, Ha Ha, See What We Did There?".

Lars Porsenna
10-01-2012, 17:57
I, for one, would loathe for the Exec axes to be back. I love the look of their draich. Looks way more vicious and sleek, and certainly less cartoony than the "Big Super Axe Of Being An Executioner, Ha Ha, See What We Did There?".

I tend to agree. The sword was IIRC the preferred method for chopping off the head of a noble. While elven cultures would not neccessarily track to real world cultures (nor should they), the fact that Executioners use 2-handed swords both in battle and while peforming their duty creates a sense of nobility and arrogance for the DE that are entirely suited IMHO...

Damon.

Druchii Monkey
10-01-2012, 20:35
I tend to agree. The sword was IIRC the preferred method for chopping off the head of a noble. While elven cultures would not neccessarily track to real world cultures (nor should they), the fact that Executioners use 2-handed swords both in battle and while peforming their duty creates a sense of nobility and arrogance for the DE that are entirely suited IMHO...

Damon.

Completely agree. :evilgrin:

Lord Dan
11-01-2012, 07:06
Besides, they look cooler!

Dark Reaper
11-01-2012, 10:58

Damon.

The sword was the preferred method only due to status iirc. It was not uncommon for the executioner to switch to an axe if the sword could not cut the victims neck.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Mr. Ultra
11-01-2012, 14:13
Any possibilities of seeing new Spearmen/Crossbowmen? They suffer the same gigantic glove hand syndrome of the High Elf spearmen...

TRIBUN
11-01-2012, 20:21
You mean the elfish meatfist? ;)

Yeah, this is something, what defenitly has to be improved!

lbecks
11-01-2012, 22:21
If GW actually did 6 unique sprues for elite infantry and not just 3 and doubled they could do dual kits. But that would also be a price increase.

Lord Zarkov
11-01-2012, 22:57
If GW actually did 6 unique sprues for elite infantry and not just 3 and doubled they could do dual kits. But that would also be a price increase.

I think it's still doable. Take the Grave Guard and Greatswords for example. Both double up on weapons (more than double in the GG case) and double up on heads, and have only three unique sprues.

You could easily have the three sprues with 5 bodies/legs, 5-6 of each of Halberds and Draichs, 5-7 of each head, plus banner, trumpet, sword, and perhaps cape for command.

stahly
12-01-2012, 09:54

Then they could split them into two kits of 3 sprues each, too.

lbecks
12-01-2012, 11:02
Then they could split them into two kits of 3 sprues each, too.

I'm fine with the current single unit elite infantry box but i never put it past gw to stick as many things in 1 box with potentially making it a higher price (like the vargheist/big ghoul is a few dollars more than the single monstrous kits). It's also technically less design work if all the models share the same legs and bodies.

eldargal
01-02-2012, 09:49
Sorry to bump this but given the issues with a certain allegedly discredited rumourmonger who shall remain nameless, I want to say that the only part of these rumours that came from him were that the Witch Elves were ugly. So can't complain about that really.

Druchii Monkey
01-02-2012, 10:29
Just feeding into this thread regarding discussions on redoing core and dual kits the following upcoming release from Mantic:
http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Twilight-Kin/Product/Twilight-Kin-Spearmen-Troop-10-Figures.html

Also, given the recent surge from Mantic with their "Twilight Kin" will be interesting to see who gets decent Witch Elves out first - GW, Mantic, or AoW?

Come on GW, lets see a cheeky May release of plastic Witch Elves! :evilgrin:

Symrivven
01-02-2012, 13:55
Sorry to bump this but given the issues with a certain allegedly discredited rumourmonger who shall remain nameless, I want to say that the only part of these rumours that came from him were that the Witch Elves were ugly. So can't complain about that really.

Thanks for clearing that up, lets just hope the'll be stunning then.

Just feeding into this thread regarding discussions on redoing core and dual kits the following upcoming release from Mantic:
http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Kings-of-War/Twilight-Kin/Product/Twilight-Kin-Spearmen-Troop-10-Figures.html

Also, given the recent surge from Mantic with their "Twilight Kin" will be interesting to see who gets decent Witch Elves out first - GW, Mantic, or AoW?

I'm looking forward to see GW's witches and AoW's female warrior thing kit, but mantic appears not to be in the same league as those two.

Porlock
01-02-2012, 15:15
While I have much sympathy for Mantic (and their Twilight Kin have turned out to look better than their first previews appeared), I gladly pass them for probably any new Dark Elfin kit AoW or GW will (hopefully soon) produce...

AlexHolker
01-02-2012, 16:30
Raging Heroes is also making some sort of evil female regiment (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/426016.page), but they haven't provided any concrete details about the product yet, just the desired February release date.

Druchii Monkey
01-02-2012, 16:42
I'm looking forward to see GW's witches and AoW's female warrior thing kit, but mantic appears not to be in the same league as those two.

Agree, it's just interesting to see another interpretation of the Dark Elf core unit given some comments on this thread have said it needs jazzing up.

Silvertongue
01-02-2012, 23:36
Just last night I thought about bumping this thread to say exactly the same Eldargal has. After reading that "confession" I thought "hey this guy said something about WEs!" and came here to see and sighed in relief.

Anyway, Mantic is quite abysmal (for me, at least). Let's see what have Raging Heroes and AoW to offer, but if GW has its "awesome" hat on, they'll release something ten times as awesome as RH and AoW.
Let's hope they have that hat on, and not the "let's ruin a concept completely!" one.

ExquisiteMonkey
02-02-2012, 00:44
Yep, not a fan of the Mantic take on the Dark Elf look, although some better pictures might help. I will wait and see who produces a good looking Witch Elf unit first, then they can steal my wallet......

sulla
03-02-2012, 06:39
Looking forward to the raging heroes girlies. For AoW, I hope they do more of a female gladiator unit than witch elf wannabe's. Actually, a mixed sex unit would probably be more useful for their setting, but I suppose they have to try to grab some sales from warhammer players to make money.

Lord Dan
03-02-2012, 06:42
What's this in reference to?

eldargal
03-02-2012, 07:03
The whole fuss with ghost21 and his apparent 'confession' and later retraction that he made rumours up. I'm erring on the safe side and clarifying what came from him as most of these rumours were from another source as well, and corroborated with another rumourmonger.

Dr. Who
04-02-2012, 00:12
Wait, Ghost retracted his confession from the 40K thread? Where, if I may ask? Or did I misunderstand?

- Dr.

Thurizdan
04-02-2012, 03:18
Should I be buying up the current metal elites in case their price shoots up like Daemonettes?

eldargal
04-02-2012, 09:53
Oki-slash-doki, I have more Dark Elf rumours, from the same source as the first lot and also wcorroborated with a reliable rumourmonger:
The rumours:
-plastic monster, possibly a hydra, not certain its for DE specifically which isn't a problem with SoM scrolls of binding
-plastic bolt thrower

Witch Elves, Black Guard and Executioners also all with extra coroboration. Late 2013 still the most likely slot for release.

A plastic hydra would be nice, the way GW are doing plastic kits it could really be big and dynamic. But they just Finecasterisated the old hydra (and the bolt thrower) so I felt this seemed a little odd. If the plasticKarl Franz/Griffon rider kit pans out it would be interesting to see if that impacts this rumour, a possible Morathi/Hellebron/generic hero kit? Just speculation. The dual chariot kit has been wishlisted/rumoured before, so nothing too new with that.

For the record I consider myself a rumour dissemination facilitator, not a rumourmonger. As always don't believe it until GW announces it.

Count Zero
04-02-2012, 10:02
maybe a plastic hydra kit would allow them to include the variants they made a while ago, plus possibly a new type with a howda on the back - every army has to have a howda in there somewhere nowadays :)

Wesser
04-02-2012, 17:22
Somewhere GW developers are raping Louen Leoncouer and Queen Ariel while shaving the beard off 10.000 Dwarven longbeards........

Silvertongue
04-02-2012, 17:58
OooooOOOOo, thank you, Eldargal. Rumourmonger or not, you make my day everytime you post here.

A monster not specifically for DE could be a Kraken. With the "sea creature" rule in the BRB, you never know... Or even a Sea Drake or something along those lines. Still, a Hydra in plastic would be cool.

The monster with rider could be either a Morathi (or Morathi lookalike) on a Dark Pegasus or a Hellebron or similar on a (decent) Manticore. The latter being less possible, IMO.

Witch Elves, Execs and Black Guards are AWESOME news. I've been holding off on buying most of them because I quite frankly dislike working with metal, and well... I have been waiting for years for them to release decent plastic kits of them. Let's hope they don't drop the ball!

The dual chariot, I still can't see what would be the other version. A light chariot pulled by horses? A heavier chariot manned by Black Guards? I sincerely hope it's not a Cauldron of Blood, because I'd love for the Cauldron to become a huge centerpiece like the VC Throne and Otherthing. Granted, it's still possible with a dual kit, but I don't think a chariot's the right thing to have a dual kit with.

The Reaper is great news, too.

And also I hope a few plasticlam characters will be inbound! Particularly Hags. Please.

Tastyfish
04-02-2012, 18:54
Could see a Khainite chariot, executioners or witch elves - basically another unit that would let you take your army along that theme. It'd also be significantly different from a Cold One chariot to not just be a chariot with horses.

Kuja
04-02-2012, 21:02
Yeah, a plastic witch elves chariot would be awesome. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!... I mean, for the murder god, Khaine :shifty:... lol

Druchii Monkey
04-02-2012, 22:08
The rumours:
-plastic bolt thrower

Sorry, the plastic bolt thrower rumour is just not credible - the Finecast one is awesome and not priced at a premium yet. The current Finecast Hydra is also great, so a fat pinch of salt on a plastic one, and saying some sort of plastic beast, a chariot (which is practically the only missing Dark Elf model) and some generic mounted hero is just so vague and predictable, i just can't credit it. Also that all the special units will get done in some form at the end of 2013 is not really going out on a limb. Without specifics, even of a rumoured sort, this is complete smoke and air.

Could see a Khainite chariot, executioners or witch elves - basically another unit that would let you take your army along that theme. It'd also be significantly different from a Cold One chariot to not just be a chariot with horses.

Witch Elves or Executioners chariot would be really cool.

Lord Dan
04-02-2012, 23:08
Sorry, the plastic bolt thrower rumour is just not credible - the Finecast one is awesome and not priced at a premium yet. The current Finecast Hydra is also great, so a fat pinch of salt on a plastic one, and saying some sort of plastic beast, a chariot (which is practically the only missing Dark Elf model) and some generic mounted hero is just so vague and predictable, i just can't credit it. Also that all the special units will get done in some form at the end of 2013 is not really going out on a limb. Without specifics, even of a rumoured sort, this is complete smoke and air.

I'm not so sure that models being converted to finecast is necessarily an indication that they won't be redone in plastic down the road, especially if we're talking about the end of 2013 as a release date.

shabbadoo
05-02-2012, 00:16
Part of the reason why some rumors seem obvious/predictable is because they are sensible. GW wants almost everything to eventually be plastic, including things that are in Finecast(especially the larger kits and those that for multi-model units). About the only thing they are unconcerned about getting made into plastic at this point in time is unique characters, but we will likely see that happen too eventually. We might see that happen with Karl Franz, though 40K has beaten WFB to the punch in this regard, there being plastic bits for making the Land Speeder of Master Sammael of the Ravenwing, of the Dark Angels.

Perhaps I missed it, but nobody has mentioned plastic Black Riders here yet? Would mentioning that be too predicable? Probably so, but it is actually an older rumor than anything here. There may a long, long lead time on the Dark Elves project, seeing as there are so many plastic kits to do for them, so that old rumor could very well have been dumped upon simply because, seemingly, nothing ever came of it. There is no reason that a variety of kits couldn't already be done and are just being shelved until "THE BIG RELEASE" instead. It will be interesting to see what the date stamps are on the plastic kits that will be coming out for the Dark Elves.

If one likes plastic kits, it stands to reason that the next full blown Dark Elves army book + miniatures release is going to be exceptional.

Kuja
05-02-2012, 00:29
No new plastic Dark Riders would be a shame...

Tastyfish
05-02-2012, 02:40
A tradition you mean.

At this point I'm almost going to be disappointed if they get around to making them. We're talking about a rumour that's over a decade old now, as the original Dark riders came out 15 years ago.
That said, armed with spears and crossbows they do offer the chance of a stealth update to the warrior sprues in the same way the overly generous marauder horse was.

kylek2235
05-02-2012, 05:00
Sorry to say, but I don't think plastic dark riders makes sense economically. They've been a staple unit in Dark Elf armies for years (ie everyone already owns them) and only a few are ever needed (5 per unit usually). GW often revamps units that aren't good, and make them centerpieces (think Anvils of doom and Shieldbearers from 6th to 6.5) to sell a max number of models and Dark Riders simply don't fit that bill. Also, it doesn't save shelf space by making new models (dual kit). A dual plastic kit of Black Guard and Executioners is far more likely

This is not to say that it isn't going to happen, since GW is on a quest to go plastic whenever possible and the dark riders are metals currently, but its not something I'm expect.

Trains_Get_Robbed
05-02-2012, 07:21
My Dragon Princes would like to have a word with you ^^

eldargal
05-02-2012, 09:34
I agree about the bolt thrower (didn't I say that in my comments? I intended to) but these are the rumours I have. Nothing about cavalry that I can recall.

Druchii Monkey
05-02-2012, 09:43
I'm not so sure that models being converted to finecast is necessarily an indication that they won't be redone in plastic down the road, especially if we're talking about the end of 2013 as a release date.

It's not just that the current Dark Elf bolt thrower model is in Finecast. It is that the model is really nice indeed in Finecast with two great crew members with a nice level of detail. I know some people who use those models as heros. I don't see why GW would invest the energy in replacing a perfectly decent model, with some nice details that would be lost in plastic. I find this particular rumour therefore, a complete non-entity.

I agree about the bolt thrower (didn't I say that in my comments? I intended to) but these are the rumours I have. Nothing about cavalry that I can recall.

Yeh, you said the bolt thrower and hydra seemed a little odd. I guess i'm just emphasising that the bolt thrower rumour for me is just so unnecessary whereas i could see them doing a plastic Hydra or other beastie. The Finecast one is awesome and they don't really need to do this but maybe a Finecast one and a plastic one would be cool - two different types of hydra. I wouldn't really want to see that Finecast Hydra go though - it's such a cracker of a model.

Part of the reason why some rumors seem obvious/predictable is because they are sensible.

Sorry, there will be a mounted hero, some specials redone, and maybe a chariot, and an artillery piece, and a beastie, is a fairly safe bet for a rumour for any army.
I'm just saying some of these rumours are so thin on detail and so generic it's hard to credit. Still i'd rather hear something than nothing. The idea of a dual chariot kit no matter how vague has certainly got me excited.

eldargal
05-02-2012, 10:12
I'm not sure what you ar expecting, these are 18 months off, we hardly have more than sketchy details of what is going to be released next month. Please don't think I'm being defensive, just saying a rough idea of what CADs are being worked on for a late 2013 release is pretty decent as rumours go, if they are accurate of course. Given the limited number of plastic kits GW produce a year it really isn't as simple as you make it sound predicting wht an army might get. Indeed if these rumours are accurate DE will be getting five or six new plastic kits, that is almost at revamp levels.:) This is assuming there are no surprises, too.

Druchii Monkey
05-02-2012, 11:29
I'm not sure what you ar expecting, these are 18 months off, we hardly have more than sketchy details of what is going to be released next month. Please don't think I'm being defensive, just saying a rough idea of what CADs are being worked on for a late 2013 release is pretty decent as rumours go, if they are accurate of course. Given the limited number of plastic kits GW produce a year it really isn't as simple as you make it sound predicting wht an army might get. Indeed if these rumours are accurate DE will be getting five or six new plastic kits, that is almost at revamp levels.:) This is assuming there are no surprises, too.

Sorry, didn't realise your rumour source had seen the CADs for all these kits or spoken to somebody who had. Would be great to hear more as more emerges. Still don't credit the bolt thrower rumour, at all, but the chariot kit sounds really interesting.

Mind you, maybe the bolt thrower could be cool, if they did some mega bolt thrower kit, like some sort of "hail of dark bolts" contraption - 6d6 strength 3 hits, armour piercing, on some sort of rotating platform, maybe with an "eldritch bolts" upgrade that makes the bolts magical. Throw in a couple of dwarf slaves and could be quite a cool kit.

Kallstrom
05-02-2012, 17:39
Mind you, maybe the bolt thrower could be cool, if they did some mega bolt thrower kit, like some sort of "hail of dark bolts" contraption - 6d6 strength 3 hits, armour piercing, on some sort of rotating platform, maybe with an "eldritch bolts" upgrade that makes the bolts magical. Throw in a couple of dwarf slaves and could be quite a cool kit.

No, just no! :D

revenant J J
05-02-2012, 18:03
I personally would love to see a new bolt thrower and hydra as I think the current models are ugly, especially the hydra! It's big heads and gnashing teeth that are far too long for it's jaws to close. Same reason I'm not a huge fan on the Dark elf dragon as well, same ascetics. Did Trish sculpt the dark elf hydra and dragon?

Anyway thanks for the rumors eldargal much appreciated! So hopefully are get that Black Guard regiment backed up by a agent of the covenant to keep an eye on my Black ark corsair force. Now if they bring out plastic Dark Riders and Shades my army will be complete!

Druchii Monkey
05-02-2012, 18:12
No, just no! :D

I think the whole dwarf slave thing would bring a great new dimension to the dark elf army. Mainly with some deadly gadgets, like a dwarven Q to a Dark Elf James Bond, but maybe even a unit of frothing slayers being herded by beastmasters. :evilgrin:

Purplenewt
05-02-2012, 18:31
Have you not seen "How to Train a Dragon" Revenent? retractable teeth are the answer:)

Tokamak
05-02-2012, 19:46
It just hit me how very few miniatures the last Dark Elf release actually had.

I see Mantic gave up on the idea of competing with GW price-wise.

lbecks
05-02-2012, 22:46
I can see them replacing the bolt thrower in a similar way the high elf one was replaced. They pretty much just scanned that one and removed some of the detail. And then have the figures be plastic compatible with the newer DE kits.

Druchii Monkey
05-02-2012, 23:31
I can see them replacing the bolt thrower in a similar way the high elf one was replaced. They pretty much just scanned that one and removed some of the detail. And then have the figures be plastic compatible with the newer DE kits.

Would be a shame, but not the end of the world i suppose.

It just hit me how very few miniatures the last Dark Elf release actually had.

What kits did they release then? The Cold One Knights and Dark Elf Corsairs look reasonably new but apart from that?

lbecks
06-02-2012, 00:05
Cold One Knights, Corsairs, Hydra, Assassins, Cold One Heroes and other Heroes, and Lokhir were released together. And then in Storm of Magic the Black Dragon and plastic sorceress were released.

Lord Dan
06-02-2012, 00:05
Just checked the white dwarf from that release, which included:

-Corsairs
-Cold one knights
-Hydra

-3 new assassins
-Dreadlord on cold one
-Dreadlord on foot (with the pick axe thing. Greatsword came later)
-Sorceress on cold one
-Sorceress in swirly water stuff
-Lokhir Felheart

ExquisiteMonkey
06-02-2012, 00:09
For kits?
None.

They also released the Hydra in its current incarnation, but as metal, the Sorc on Cold One, Dread Lord on Cold one, Assassin (possibly a few variants, but I think the variants came in a wave a little later), Supreme Sorc (with the swirly stuff at the base), Dread Lord (with the ritual blade and baby dragon).

Later we also got, Dreadlord on dark steed (i think as a BSB, although not sure if that's just what I bought it for), assassin variants, dreadlord variants (great weapon w/mini dragon, hand weapon in heavy armout, 2 hand weapon female).

We've been sorely looked over in the unit kit department.

EDIT: Wow, double ninja'd.

Tymell
06-02-2012, 09:54
Dark Elf releases since their last book have been:

August 2008: Dark Elves (7th edition)
Dark Elves - Corsairs
Dark Elves - Cold One Knights
Dark Elves - Dreadlord
Dark Elves - Mounted Dreadlord
Dark Elves - Sorceress
Dark Elves - Mounted Sorceress
Dark Elves - Assassins (3)
Dark Elves - Hydra
Dark Elves - Lokhir Fellheart

January 2009
Dark Elves - Dreadlords (3)
Dark Elves - Mounted Dreadlord

July 2011: Storm of Magic
Dark Elves - Lord/Sorceress on Dragon
Dark Elves - Sorceress

So, two unit kits, two big monsters (one plastic) and a range of characters.

Silvertongue
06-02-2012, 11:43
That seems like a lot of things, but when you come down to it, the release of a heap of characters does not change your army too much. We desperately need units.

And, to me, we need characters that don't suck. Most of our character minis are horrid.

Druchii Monkey
06-02-2012, 11:58
That seems like a lot of things, but when you come down to it, the release of a heap of characters does not change your army too much. We desperately need units.

And, to me, we need characters that don't suck. Most of our character minis are horrid.

I love the Dreadlord with the hand weapon and shield with the baby dragon on his shoulder. More Dark Elf heroes with nasty little pets wouldn't go amiss but agree with the general consensus that it's the units that need doing.

the Witch kings regent
08-02-2012, 03:29
i want Malekith multimodel pack. with a mount style for the dragon and possible a cold one. and one on foot for foot or chariot mount (although the chariot sounds crappy since we no linger have a model at all for it)

the Witch kings regent
09-02-2012, 04:55
taking with a manager today. said that he had heard a little bird talking about multiple monsters for dark elf handlers. so maybe we no longer only have hydra. but it could be dream from a GW employee. but if they did get more then it would be closer to the background then just a hydra.

SkawtheFalconer
09-02-2012, 10:13
Seems logical, as would allow for yet more Monstrous options for Storm of Magic. At this point, I would imagine he is wishlisting, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came true.

Thurizdan
09-02-2012, 14:36
There were rules published in WD once for different varieties of Hydra like "Royal" Hydras or "Ice" Hydras etc. Could just be multiple types of Hydra in the kit rather than two entirely different units. Still, would be cool if they had an option for flippers to make a sea monster.

Yvellkan
09-02-2012, 19:09
plastic black guard and witch elves would be amazing.

lbecks
09-02-2012, 19:43
There were rules published in WD once for different varieties of Hydra like "Royal" Hydras or "Ice" Hydras etc. Could just be multiple types of Hydra in the kit rather than two entirely different units. Still, would be cool if they had an option for flippers to make a sea monster.

This would make sense for a plastic Hydra Kit. I hope they take inspiration from the warmaster hydra. It looks suitably large, unlike the current one which looks like a loping horse.

Druchii Monkey
10-02-2012, 16:14
Also, i wonder if the chariot multi-kit could double as a cauldron of blood. Still trying to figure out how you could make the cauldron actually look portable and still really cool looking?

Lord Dan
10-02-2012, 17:18
Probably the same way you can make a warp lightning cannon and plague catapult look cool out of the same frame... :shifty:

Dubious Dan is dubious.

meowser
10-02-2012, 20:20
A Chariot/Cauldron dual kit seems likely IMHO. Maybe the chariot will become more Khainate, so the crew models can also serve as the Cauldron bodyguards

popisdead
10-02-2012, 21:10
A Chariot/Cauldron dual kit seems likely IMHO. Maybe the chariot will become more Khainate, so the crew models can also serve as the Cauldron bodyguards

Yes I agree, GW loves dual kits. However after seeing the coven throne/mortis engine and the Black Coach I would expect a plastic chariot, then a dual kit that can be the Cauldron and something else. Coven cauldron and kraken engine ;)

Tupinamba
10-02-2012, 22:02
maybe even a unit of frothing slayers being herded by beastmasters. :evilgrin:

Just loved that! lol

Azazyll
12-02-2012, 04:47
Yes I agree, GW loves dual kits. However after seeing the coven throne/mortis engine and the Black Coach I would expect a plastic chariot, then a dual kit that can be the Cauldron and something else. Coven cauldron and kraken engine ;)

In twelve months, I expect to see "kraken engine" as a new unit on these forums. Cool ideas are the birthplace of fake rumors.

kelthrai
13-02-2012, 13:33
True **** man

sulla
14-02-2012, 03:15
Also, i wonder if the chariot multi-kit could double as a cauldron of blood. Still trying to figure out how you could make the cauldron actually look portable and still really cool looking?It would need really good suspension to stop the blood bouncing out of the pot, unless the Druchii take to fighting on paved battlefields...

Ludaman
14-02-2012, 03:45
Go-to fantasy answer: it stays cause its magic...

Thurizdan
14-02-2012, 09:23
It's just very viscous. They probably add cornflour or gelatin or something.

Von Wibble
14-02-2012, 12:24
It would need really good suspension to stop the blood bouncing out of the pot, unless the Druchii take to fighting on paved battlefields...

Cue GW's next terrain release - Paved Battlefields! An entirely paved battlefield for ease of blood transportation at just 300. With lots of skulls so that it fits in well with all other existing terrain.

Or is that too mad even for GW?

jtrowell
14-02-2012, 14:11
A paved battlefield with lots of skulls is not very warhammery (not enoug skullzz).

A battlefield fully paved with skulls however ... ^_^

theJ
14-02-2012, 21:56
A paved battlefield with lots of skulls is not very warhammery (not enoug skullzz).

A battlefield fully paved with skulls however ... ^_^

The sad thing is I would probably buy that :shifty:

LostAngel
14-02-2012, 22:41
taking with a manager today. said that he had heard a little bird talking about multiple monsters for dark elf handlers. so maybe we no longer only have hydra. but it could be dream from a GW employee. but if they did get more then it would be closer to the background then just a hydra.

I have been dreaming about it since i started my DE army...a complete Karond Kar Monstrous warhost!!!!! UOOOO!!!! aw-wait4it-some!!!!

Druchii Monkey
14-02-2012, 22:59
It would need really good suspension to stop the blood bouncing out of the pot, unless the Druchii take to fighting on paved battlefields...

Perhaps it could be an airborne chariot? Dark Pegasi pulling an airborne cauldron with a Death Hag hanging on, and two Witch Elves on broomsticks flying escort. That way the blood not bouncing out would be a lot more realistic - just trying to think of the practicalities. :evilgrin:

Silvertongue
15-02-2012, 23:43
This is going down off-topic alley. And you're not helping.

Mr. Ultra
16-02-2012, 19:27
I guess there's zero possibilities to see new Spearmen/Crossbowmen, sadly...

LostAngel
17-02-2012, 00:31

I really like those models, they are my favourite core unit in all the game even with skellies, i don't want them to be removed...

Any has heard about cod one models as monstrous cavalry?? it does fit for me....

simonbeard
17-02-2012, 00:45
Although I like the idea of Cold Ones becoming monstrous cavalry, there are two issues I can foresee:

1. They'll need less lean dinosaur models for that
2. They'll need to make the name Cold Ones less lame and more monstrous.

Lord Dan
17-02-2012, 04:04

I doubt it, mostly because the DE range still has so many metal kits that need* to be redone. GW hesitates to redo plastic kits even when most of the range is already plastic (looking at you TK and VC).

*Personally I think the current metal DE elites are the best in the system, though that won't change the fact that GW wants to charge us more for a multi-part plastic kit.

lbecks
17-02-2012, 12:52
I doubt it, mostly because the DE range still has so many metal kits that need* to be redone. GW hesitates to redo plastic kits even when most of the range is already plastic (looking at you TK and VC).

*Personally I think the current metal DE elites are the best in the system, though that won't change the fact that GW wants to charge us more for a multi-part plastic kit.

Plastic re-makes of kits actually cost less than their metal counterparts.

The current DE Metal Elites are US 44 for ten without command. 47-49.25 with command.

Plastic Elites for high elves as comparison are 41.25 with command. Plus you'll get a couple extra heads. I do think Infantry Elites are the most marked up of the plastic kits, but they're still cheaper than their metal counterparts.

lbecks
17-02-2012, 12:53

The current DE Metal Elites are US 44 for ten without command. 47-49.25 with command.

Plastic Elites for high elves as comparison are 41.25 with command. Plus you'll get a couple extra heads. I do think Infantry Elites are the most marked up of the plastic kits, but they're still cheaper than their metal counterparts.

Lord Dan
17-02-2012, 15:28

Ah yes, I forgot about the 5-man reboxing.

Forwe
18-02-2012, 10:46
Ah yes, I forgot about the 5-man reboxing.

How do you think should we be waiting for the failcast re-pack of BG, Execs and Witches or "10" boxes are more likely?

Druchii Monkey
18-02-2012, 10:56
This is going down off-topic alley. And you're not helping.

Not true, one of the most tangible rumours on this thread to do with Dark Elves was the chariot dual kit. We were talking about that rumour in all it's facets. :p

Also, want to feed in to this rumour thread something i was reminded of by a reputable source at GW that there will be at least one new Malus Darkblade book out on the horizon, presumably next year so it's not too far off the Dark Elf model releases - was given no specific date except that this was on the general horizon - couldn't be more excited. Supports the idea that Dark Elves will be out next year - what better time to release a new Malus book.

As it turns out from a quick Google, Mike Lee was working on this in March 2011 so the first book (of three it seems) could be out sooner than we think.
http://www.thebolthole.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25

I do remember from the rumour mill reading somewhere that some Dark Elf thing was out this year, seem to remember May - who knows rather than being a plastic kit this could be a book. Fingers crossed all round.

Lord Dan
18-02-2012, 17:45
How do you think should we be waiting for the failcast re-pack of BG, Execs and Witches or "10" boxes are more likely?
Not at all, I think 5-man finecast boxes are almost guaranteed. It's a question of whether or not the black guard are going finecast or if they're getting plastic kits in the next year or so.

Druchii Monkey
18-02-2012, 18:01
Not at all, I think 5-man finecast boxes are almost guaranteed. It's not a question of whether or not the black guard are going finecast or if they're getting plastic kits in the next year or so.

In my opinion they will only go Finecast if they keep the same sculpts and there is a strong argument with BG, Execs, and Witches to change the sculpts and go plastic. I see 10 man boxes for all of these at 25. The problem with doing any of these Finecast having thought about it, is that thin areas on Finecast models seem to risk going to that tissue paper consistency e.g. take the Dark Elf sorceress in plastic - do that in Finecast and i reckon you'll have a whole string of miscasts with overly thin areas for her hair and just imagine how delicate Exec blades would be. Fairly convinced thse will all be done in 10 man/woman boxes in plastic - like White Lions and Phoenix Guard for High Elves.

Forwe
18-02-2012, 22:54
The problem with doing any of these Finecast having thought about it, is that thin areas on Finecast models seem to risk going to that tissue paper consistency e.g. take the Dark Elf sorceress in plastic - do that in Finecast and i reckon you'll have a whole string of miscasts with overly thin areas for her hair and just imagine how delicate Exec blades would be.

So this is not the ideal stuff at all..Sounds very sane well. IMHO this way is even better.
I suppose there is no question about redoing Cauldron and chariot?

eldargal
18-02-2012, 23:48
Given the rumours are quite specific about plastic kits for Witch Elves and the others I doubt GW would put the resources into converting the current sets to Finecast. I also doubt we will see them this year, everything I've heard points to late 2013.

Lord Dan
19-02-2012, 00:34
All I heard was plastic witch elves. Have we heard rumors of plastic black guard and executioners, as well? If they turn BG and Executioners into a dual-kit it's going to be a sad day for DE players.

eldargal
19-02-2012, 06:54
Yup, updated rumours on page ten I think, Witch Elves, Black Guard and Executioners CADs all (rumoured to be)sighted and corroborated with another (reliable) rumourmonger.

Grimor Da Warchife
19-02-2012, 07:50
I would like to know how well the new Witch Elves, Black Guard and Executioners would fit in to same unit with olde ones. Will they be tottaly different like HE Phoenix Guard or similar

Lord Dan
19-02-2012, 08:26
Yup, updated rumours on page ten I think, Witch Elves, Black Guard and Executioners CADs all (rumoured to be)sighted and corroborated with another (reliable) rumourmonger.
Thanks Eldargal, I must have missed it. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with black guard plastics.

I would like to know how well the new Witch Elves, Black Guard and Executioners would fit in to same unit with olde ones. Will they be tottaly different like HE Phoenix Guard or similar
An excellent question. I think we'll see something similar to what happened with the HE release given the relative complexity of the sculpts. I'm betting the executioners will look fairly similar to their existing metals (see plastic HE swordmasters), while the black guard will probably get slightly bulkier armor, cloaks, and larger halberd blades. All speculation, mind you.

Iverald
19-02-2012, 16:25
T
An excellent question. I think we'll see something similar to what happened with the HE release given the relative complexity of the sculpts. I'm betting the executioners will look fairly similar to their existing metals (see plastic HE swordmasters), while the black guard will probably get slightly bulkier armor, cloaks, and larger halberd blades. All speculation, mind you.

Well, as far as HE got, the best bet on predicting new DE aesthetics would be looking on Jes Goodwin's old sketches and pre 6th ed. miniatures. It seems that retro is now the new black.

DaemonReign
19-02-2012, 17:24
If they turn BG and Executioners into a dual-kit it's going to be a sad day for DE players.

Why?
Assuming the quality is good, aesthethically speaking, it would seem to me that BG and Execs would sort of 'make sense' as a dual kit?
Not understanding why it'd be sad day for Dark Elves by definition.. (?)

Lord Dan
19-02-2012, 17:39
Why?
Assuming the quality is good, aesthethically speaking, it would seem to me that BG and Execs would sort of 'make sense' as a dual kit?
Not understanding why it'd be sad day for Dark Elves by definition.. (?)
Other than the fact that they're both elves, they're actually very different aesthetically. Black guard have tight fitting plate armor, while executioners have sharper, heavier looking armor with a full mail skirt, different style helmet, and chain mask. Simply providing an alternate weapon option and a different head would be like slapping great weapons on the pheonix guard plastics, removing the wings from their helmets, and calling them white lions.

Silvertongue
19-02-2012, 22:30
Please, guys, we've been through the whole "Execs and BGs should/shouldn't get a combi-kit" argument like five times now. I believe a couple of them are even in this thread. It is a wonder of the modern world that this thread hasn't been locked already, and I don't delude myself: it will get locked before any new DE mini sees the light of day (mostly because there is still a long way to go for them to be released), but we don't need to tickle the mods' Close This Thread nerve any more than the strictly necessary. I agree it's (sorta) relevant to the topic discussed, but perhaps it has been discussed enough by now.

Lord Dan
19-02-2012, 22:57
Please, guys, we've been through the whole "Execs and BGs should/shouldn't get a combi-kit" argument like five times now. I believe a couple of them are even in this thread. It is a wonder of the modern world that this thread hasn't been locked already, and I don't delude myself: it will get locked before any new DE mini sees the light of day (mostly because there is still a long way to go for them to be released), but we don't need to tickle the mods' Close This Thread nerve any more than the strictly necessary. I agree it's (sorta) relevant to the topic discussed, but perhaps it has been discussed enough by now.
You've shown up now at least twice to tell us how irrelevant our conversations are. If you're so outraged by us repeating ourselves, then either contribute something other than complaints or feel free to visit other portions of the forums.