PDA

View Full Version : 2500 point Empire Army Idea...

bam4k
18-11-2011, 12:35
I am working on a list, and I wanted some thoughts on the general idea of it. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

The List is centered around Greatswords. Fielding one horde of 40 models (4x10) and 2 units of 21 (7x3). These blocks would be supported by artillery (Cannons, Mortars and Rocket Batteries) and Two units of 12 core knights. I could loose some artillery for a steam tank. As for the characters, I am at a loss. Other than a BSB, I am not sure what to take.

Thank You for you opinions.

Lord Solar Plexus
18-11-2011, 15:27
Quite a good idea, as both Greatsword and Knights are decent enough to pull this off.

To make a legal list, you will need a General of some kind. I'd consider the TGM, as he comes with nearly all the equipment needed for a fighter and boosts your cavalry nicely. With the Shroud of Magnus you get some protection for one unit against any Lore of Metal missiles or similar but any ward will do. The Other Trickster's Shard is nice for him as well. A lance will suffice to keep the cost down. Speaking of Metal, a 2+ AS on Greatsword can be nifty.

A Warrior Priest for any other unit is a good investment. High strength attacks benefit more from rerolls to hit.

Consider a Beast Mage, even if just an L1. Wyssan's is pretty cool regardless of what you take but easier to cast on cavalry.

A Light Wizard or the Altar will be very helpful. The latter cannot join units and might break your budget, points-wise, but again, high-strength attacks benefit a lot from being doubled, or hitting someone before he strikes and takes some out.

With 900 points spent on Greatswords, you won't be able to take multiples of each WM. Two cannon, two mortars are still enough, and you don't always need an Engineer.

Oh, and don't forget to give one unit of Knights the Flaming Banner. Best way to get flaming attacks in there, which is not only great against regenerating enemies but means you cause fear in beasts and stuff.

scubasteve04
18-11-2011, 15:50
For characters, I would do a foot arch lector as your general in the unit of 40 greatswords, and mounted Warrior priests in each knight unit. BSB, and a wizard if you can afford it.

Lord Solar Plexus
18-11-2011, 16:34
No, please don't do that, unless you're playing hardcore nuts. +4 DD will raise eyebrows, and more, just like 6 warmachines. That's not friendly at all. Reserve this option for when you meet the double HPA, Pendant Lord + 3 Hydra lists.

bam4k
18-11-2011, 20:47
Thanks for all the advise guys. I was thinking about running the list similarly to the way Lord Solar Plexus mentioned, although I had not thought about a beast wizard.

Is a General of the Empire worth taking? I wouldn't mind being able to place a magic banner on the horde of greatswords.

theshoveller
18-11-2011, 20:58
Thanks for all the advise guys. I was thinking about running the list similarly to the way Lord Solar Plexus mentioned, although I had not thought about a beast wizard.

Is a General of the Empire worth taking? I wouldn't mind being able to place a magic banner on the horde of greatswords.
Not a bad idea - he's cheap on points. Put him in the horde with the Standard of Discipline... it might look a bit deathstar-like though (which aside from being unfriendly, also makes them a prime target).

bam4k
18-11-2011, 21:00
Taking the advice of Solar Plexus, I played with the numbers....

TGM with a ward save type item (I pointed the shroud of magnus)

BSB with AoMI and Dawnstone

Lvl 2 Light wizard

Lvl 1 Beast wizard - Dispel Scroll

Warrior Priest - Heavy Armor & Shield

38 Greatswords w/FC (BSB and Priest go here)

20 Greatswords w/FC (wizard goes here)

20 Greatswords w/FC (wizard goes here)

12 knights w/FC (TGM goes here)

12 Knights w/FC

Cannon

Cannon

Mortar

Rocket Battery

---------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

bam4k
18-11-2011, 21:30
For characters, I would do a foot arch lector as your general in the unit of 40 greatswords, and mounted Warrior priests in each knight unit. BSB, and a wizard if you can afford it.

I can fit in a BSB with magic items, LvL 1 wizard, 2 warrior priests with mundane gear and an Arch lector with items with 2 cannons and 2 mortars.

Lord Solar Plexus
19-11-2011, 07:17
Looks good, barring some finetuning to your liking. One thing to remember: Don't become to "dogmatic" about where to place your characters. It is good to have a basic plan but terrain, random deployment, reserves and the opposition's arrangement of forces can all necessitate changes.

Take the L1 for example: He has his one spell and will have some difficulty to get it through a determined defence, so at one point you might want to try for IF. In this case (and, I believe, in general) he would be better off on his own behind the lines. Remember that models physically block LoS, so he can be next to invisible behind four lines of men. He also doesn't need LoS to the enemy; neither do you want him in combat at the front.

Another nice trick with Knights is MR + that 15 points 4+ ward scroll, as it adds up to a 2+ against magic missiles and such. I realize that MR is much maligned but there are quite a few things out there that hurt Knights and can be stopped with it. And after this one turn, you can often be in combat.

Korraz
19-11-2011, 07:42
I don't see the point of 7x3 units of knights. Against Non-Hordes, you'll always lose out on attacks. I'd play them six wide, at most, unless, well, there's a horde. Don't forget the nifty Quick Reform. You can start deeper, and if the opponent has a horde, just reform early and move on.

Fritzallmighty
20-11-2011, 07:13
Templar Grand Master requires you to make one of the knight units into Inner Circle knights. I imagine this will mess heavily with your force percentages.

Lord Solar Plexus
20-11-2011, 16:00
Not true. A TGM only requires you to take a unit of knights "of the same order". There's no word on core or special, nor is Inner Circle ever mentioned. The TGM of the Order of the White Lily just has to lead a unit of Knights of this order.

Inner Circle Knights are just the vets of that order. There's no reason why their Grand Master couldn't ride with the rookies.

theshoveller
20-11-2011, 16:34
Inner Circle Knights are just the vets of that order. There's no reason why their Grand Master couldn't ride with the rookies.
Indeed, that's what I do with him. He's supervising. ;)