PDA

View Full Version : high elves 2.4k

mrspadge
18-11-2011, 19:23
just wondering what people thought of my current high elf list.

played 4 very good games so far and its 2 wins (orcs+gobbos and empire), 2 losses (skaven and beastmen) at the moment so i like it so far :D.

Lord - Archmage - 290pts
- level 4 mage
- high magic
- dispel scroll

Core - 50 spearmen - 490pts
- full command
- standard of discipline

Core - 10 archers - 110pts

Special - 14 swordmasters - 232pts
- standard bearer
- banner of eternal flame

Special - 14 swordmasters - 272pts
- standard bearer
- banner of sorcery

Special - 14 white lions - 227pts
- standard bearer
- gleaming pendant? (re-roll 1 ld check, common banner)

Special - tirannoc chariot - 85pts

Special - tirannoc chariot - 85pts

Special - 5 ellyrion reavers - 105pts
- bows and spears

Rare - repeater bolt thrower - 100pts

Rare - great eagle - 50pts

Rare - great eagle - 50pts

total - 2396pts

my thoughts so far:

1) the white lions have so far achieved nothing at all!!! i'm really considering dropping them for a unit of dragon princes or something (can easily squeeze 7 with a banner, maybe 8 or 9 if i drop an eagle)

2) the high elf lore is amazing! i never used it much before in 7th but the low casting values really let me get some serious casting off.

3) would love a bsb/combat character but dont want to drop anything (barring the white lions but i'm going for a multiple UNITS game here and dont want too much tied up in characters)

4) i'm kind-of undecided on the small units of elites... they are amazingly good against armies that rely on templates/cannons/every model hit kind of attacks but against BS based shooting they dissapear quite quickly.... i'll keep them for now (as i'm going for a kind of MSU approach here) but its up for discussion.

5) i know i have a lv4 as my only character. this is partly becuase from what my local gaming groups/mates have discovered the current fantasy is won or lost in the magic phase. last game i had with my chaos i turned a unit of 50 dwarf warriors with a lord into a unit of 8 and no lord with a single purple sun, using a level 1 mage! (i have since dropped him, that spell is beond stupid)

any thoughts :D

Morax
18-11-2011, 21:38
Well the Wizard could use some protection. There are way too many throw away units that can sneak in to kill him off and then die. Forlaith's Robe would be pretty much ideal as those throw away units don't have magical attacks.

Solid core and I get the usage there.

Elites...I take it you don't have many empire and dwarf players around you? Sure you can get a 5++ from high magic but that is not going to save your elites from a pair of organ guns when you have 3 units that need buffs. One of the reasons the Lions haven't done anything for you is that you are missing around 7 of them. A unit of 21 lions 7x3 packs a punch and a half and has the staying power to do it again in a second round of combat if needed. 14 will just take returning attacks and die.

The reason I mention empire and dwarf players is because they tend to make a mess of high elf repeater bolt throwers with cannons. I don't think I have seen too many high elf lists of late with 4 of them. I think if I was going to go for 4 of anything it would be the great eagles. MSU elves has trouble with shooty armies. With the eagles you can get in the face of the shooting units and tie them up in combat. They also make great supports for your infantry blocks with rear and flank charges.

Changes I'd make-
I'd drop both chariots (never found them to keep pace or hit hard enough in the day of hordes) and a bolt thrower

Pick up 2 eagles, forlaith's robe for the mage, as many white lions as I can afford with the left over points.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
19-11-2011, 05:56
My comment will be in blue.

my thoughts so far:

1) the white lions have so far achieved nothing at all!!! i'm really considering dropping them for a unit of dragon princes or something (can easily squeeze 7 with a banner, maybe 8 or 9 if i drop an eagle)

Well the unit size is kind of small for WL. The minmum should be 20. If you'd include a noble or BSB with a great weapon they tend to do more damage. IMO the Dragon Princes would be a better complement to your force since you have a high amount of mobile MSU HE units in your force.

2) the high elf lore is amazing! i never used it much before in 7th but the low casting values really let me get some serious casting off.

Lately I've come to the same conclusion to as well.

3) would love a bsb/combat character but dont want to drop anything (barring the white lions but i'm going for a multiple UNITS game here and dont want too much tied up in characters)

BSB are useful considering that the Archmage's LD max out at 9. The re-rolls come in handy sometimes.

4) i'm kind-of undecided on the small units of elites... they are amazingly good against armies that rely on templates/cannons/every model hit kind of attacks but against BS based shooting they dissapear quite quickly.... i'll keep them for now (as i'm going for a kind of MSU approach here) but its up for discussion.

Most of the time elite units (other than Cavalry) are a minimum of 20 figures to keep them suriviable. Buff spells also help with this. SMs & DPs units can be kept small because they have a high volume of close combat attacks but PGs & WLs really need numbers to help them out when they get stuck in.

5) i know i have a lv4 as my only character. this is partly becuase from what my local gaming groups/mates have discovered the current fantasy is won or lost in the magic phase. last game i had with my chaos i turned a unit of 50 dwarf warriors with a lord into a unit of 8 and no lord with a single purple sun, using a level 1 mage! (i have since dropped him, that spell is beond stupid)

A good spell can turn the tide of battle at anytime (that seems to be the trend of 8th Ed.) also a good turn of close combat can do the same (or vice versa if a heavily based shooting force). For the latter 2 timing is crucial (especially for close combat).

mrspadge
20-11-2011, 09:30
many thanks guys.

i'll be keeping the unit sizes for now simply becuase anything that can destroy them (mortars, massed shots etc) is going to seriously wreck a large unit. it was a mate of mine who convinced me to try the small units and for the most part they seem to be working.

once i can afford it i'll almost definately drop the lions for some princes.

@Morax - i mentioned in the 2nd line of my original post that one of the games i won was against empire (only 2 cannons and a mortar for artillery, bolt throwers survived a couple of turns because he re-directed to destroy the outflanking stuff - eagles/reavers)

(oh, and with the standard of discipline, the mage is Ld10 :D )

for point of reference, these would be my most common opponents:

local shop:

Empire - mostly combat troops now, people were whining too much about his all artillery army...

dwarfs - 2 of them, one a standard mix of guns/static. the other an all combat run forward army!!! (supprisingly effective but relys heavily on not being magicked to death)

Beastmen - couple of huge gor units, lots of minotaurs, doombull, beastlord, 2 mages.

warriors of chaos - nurgle based, centre unit is a banner of rage, halberd warrior unit.

mates:

Orcs+Goblins - lots of units of boyz, some gobbos (one unit of 50 i think), squig herders, doom divers, lots of chariots.

warriors of chaos - small units (10-15) of tzeentch warriors, big unit of marauders, 2 hellcannons, 2 mages, bsb, 3 chariots

Vampires - 2 units of grave guard, 2 units of skellies, 2 vampires (one a lord), 2 varghulfs.

there are others but these are the main armies i play :D

atlantis
22-11-2011, 00:41
i have tryed the 50 sea guard squad (cos of the 5 rank fighting i asssume ur takeing it for too), and it just was torn apart, so i would recommend just being careful with it.