PDA

View Full Version : Red Duke of Aquitaine VC Army - 3000 Pts (Spoiler Alert)

AlphariusOmegon20
21-11-2011, 06:05
I had been planning on doing another VC army from scratch recently, but was having difficulty in coming up with a Theme to distinguish it from my other one. that I had sold a few months ago ( that one was based off of a Sylvannian Strigoi/Von Carstein hybrid force) After finishing reading C.L. Werner's Red Duke, however, I found the theme I was looking for.

I do have a few caveats about this list though.

A.) It is not meant to be an "I win" list. It is meant to be as faithful to the book as possible, some units though useless in the game will be in the list, such as Zombies, as they do appear in the book.

B.) I did have to make a few concessions ultimately. You'll prolly notice Renar doesn't have a horse of any kind. I did him this way as you never see him fight from the horse in the book. Maraulf is another case, as I gave him the Lore of Death, as he appears to be a Bretonnian Priest of Morr, prior to being made into a vampire.

I am seriously considering writing a plog for this army, based on the responses here.

The list is:

Characters

The Red Duke - 475 pt. Vampire Lord

Mounted on Nightmare
Level 3 Mage
Sword of Kings ( Killing Blow)
Flayed Hauberk (2+ Armor)
Crown of the Damned (4+ Ward, Stupidity)
The Other Trickster's Shard ( Re-roll ward saves in base contact)
Infinite Hatred ( hatred every round)
Red Fury ( Extra attack per unsaved wound)
Walking Death ( +1 Combat Res)
Use Lore of Vampires

Renar - 135 pt. Necromancer

2 Extra Spells
Nightshroud ( 6+ armor, loses ASF and Charge bonuses)
Talisman of Endurance (5+ Ward)

Sir Corbinian - 150 pt. Wight King

Shield
BSB Upgrade
Armor of Fortune ( 5+ Armor, 5+ Ward)
Opal Amulet (4+ Ward vs. first wound)

Sir Maraulf - 193 pt. Vampire Hero

Armor of Destiny ( 5+ Armor, 4+ Ward)
Forbidden Lore (Allows access to BRB Lore of Death)

Jacquetta - 95 pt. Tomb Banshee

Units

39 Crypt Ghouls - 320 pts.
Crypt Ghast

40 Skeletons - 350 pts.
Spears
Full Command
Banner of Eternal Flame

39 Zombies - 168 pts.
Musician
Standard Bearer

6 Bat Swarms - 210 pts.

39 Grave Guard - 508 pts.
Shields
Full Command
Banner of Hellfire

8 Black Knights - 309 pts.
Barding
Full Command
Banner of the Barrows

Maraulf will ride with the Black Knights, and Renar will run with the Ghouls. Corbinian will march with the Grave Guard and Jacquetta will run with the zombies. The Red Duke will most likely ride just behind the Skeletons, as that is where he usually is in the book (He should be fairly safe there.)

So what do you think of this list? It is faithful to the book, but I'd ,like to know ways to improve it while staying faithful to the book. Your opinions about the possibility of a plog is also welcome.

Devilish
21-11-2011, 07:11
I haven't read the book, but I'm a great fan of Blooddragon vampires or former Brettonian vampirers. I've got an army of them myself, but haven't played with them since they lost the ability to use Lance formation.

m1acca1551
21-11-2011, 07:24
Love the list, crown of the damned will work wonders representing the red duke in the book.

I honestly beleive this is as close as you will be able to get it, and still field an effective army.

Dreadlordpaul
21-11-2011, 08:13
I have done a 2k list based around the red duke myself and our red dukes are very similar except I took dread knight instead of walking death and mine has a couple of different items