21-11-2011, 16:35
Mangler squiq, don't think it has been posted yet:

loveless
21-11-2011, 16:36

That is incredibly delightful.

Avian
21-11-2011, 16:41
Looks really nice, but if it's really 50 euro (and I suppose it is, judging by the size), I'm not getting it. Too big and too expensive for what is really just a little 65-point throwaway unit.

Nighthawke
21-11-2011, 16:44
not impressed at all with the manglers, their legs look like they are in completely unatural positions and the faces are a bit pants.

was hoping squig quality of gobbla not the quality of the giant cave squig horribleness

EmperorNorton
21-11-2011, 16:45
That's pretty cool.
Not 50€ cool, though.

Mr_Foulscumm
21-11-2011, 16:49
Now that is a fun model! :D

Oh and don't worry Avian, I'll pick up the buying slack just for you :D

Druchii Monkey
21-11-2011, 16:50
Mangler Squig my favourite.. looks awesome.

Reckon earlier post saying Gorgon/Cygor would look better with darker colour scheme spot on - models themselves look fun.

Jabberslythe looks vile and completely freaky.. won't get one but i like it.. and little wings are hilarious - you could easily underestimate it and get gobbled up.

Great set of Christmas releases.

Coldblood666
21-11-2011, 16:52
The Mangler Squig is pretty awesome I think. It seems like it would be kind of an intricate and fragile model though.

Garion
21-11-2011, 16:52

Oh sweet, I'm happy :) finally some nice new Squigs. I really like the Beastmen stuff too. In fact I'm loving all the BIG monsters GW are making at the moment, yeah they cost a lot but they are cool. Good times :D

TsukeFox
21-11-2011, 16:57
That's pretty cool.
Not 50€ cool, though.

Those Squigs are beast-! But how did they get ontop of each other ? Playing leap squig-?
Any guesses on the base size, does not look that big.

So glad my army collection is complete- these new prices would make me want buy elsewhere

Darnok
21-11-2011, 17:00
That's pretty cool.
Not 50€ cool, though.

Couldn't say it better.

The model itself is nice. But I fear about its stability. Have a look at the connection to the base: a flimsy leg and a gobbo. Look at the connections between both squigs. That will bend easily.

While the model is okay, I think it is much too expensive. The choice of material doesn't convince me either. Thanks, I'll pass.

ihavetoomuchminis
21-11-2011, 17:01
I like the mangler squig as a model per se, but:

1) I don't think it's worth 50 euros.

2) It's finecrap.

3) It's not as dynamic as i thought it would be.

The price tag is what really kills the model for me. 50 euros is way too much.

Mictlan
21-11-2011, 17:02
That is a great sculpt in the most traditional wa:, without looking at the detail or stilistic choices, what really stands out is the way the sculpture creates a flow for the eye, it leads you in a spiral that goes upward, that, coupled with how the empty spaces are integrated to balance out the volumes really makes it an admirable piece

Crovax20
21-11-2011, 17:05
Oh come on, 50 euro's for this? Seriously 50 euros?

Does GW think I'll grind the whole model down and sell it as coke?

For that price, i'll see if I can convert something myself for far less moneys. Oh yeah and its finecrap, an even bigger reason to convert something myself.

Morkash
21-11-2011, 17:11
Nice idea, but I have to say I'm not convinced by the top Squig. The lower one is great and all, but most people (myself included) play 2 Mangler Squigs. And there is no way I pay 100€ for the same model twice and with the chance of a Finecast problem.
Thanks, I'll stick to my Chase conversions.

Lordy
21-11-2011, 17:11
A million times better than the Beastmen rubbish we saw but not worth 50 euro, especially when you need 2 or 3 of them.

Garion
21-11-2011, 17:12
Can we get a bigger picture somewhere? Also whats the source... is this next months White Dwarf?

HisBrettness
21-11-2011, 17:15
Hm....not sure if I really like it. And the price is outrageous, to say the least. Hopefully you can seperate the two Squigs easily. Than I'll simply buy one, and combine the two Squigs with the ones from the Chase to create two Manglers.

Amazonnia
21-11-2011, 17:16
That's the thing, it's nice but for the amount of material (plastic), to me, it is really not worth the price. I guess there is always a way around it by making your own.

Deamon-forge
21-11-2011, 17:22
as said nice but not 50 euro nice. if i managed to pick one up cheap then i think i be happy.

kublai
21-11-2011, 17:23
Hm....not sure if I really like it. And the price is outrageous, to say the least. Hopefully you can seperate the two Squigs easily. Than I'll simply buy one, and combine the two Squigs with the ones from the Chase to create two Manglers.

I will do the same I think.

ihavetoomuchminis
21-11-2011, 17:25

That is the only way this model can be worth the price. Thinking it is a 2x1 model. Just take 2 Squig hoppers, attach 1 to one Big Squig, the other to the 2nd BIg squig, and 2 mangler squigs are made.

But 50 euros for ONE mangler squig is crazy. It's like GW were laughing at us.

Fawful
Like the sculpt, dislike the price. If I pick it up it would be from an online shop. But the finecast issues make me wary of doing that. So, I guess my army will go without mangler squigs for the foreseeable future.

Spiney Norman
Ummm, well that has to go down as my GW disappointment of the year, and thats saying something given its had to compete with the Sisters of Battle "Codex".

The model itself isn't bad, but its not star quality either, and 50 Euros is £36 based on GW conversion, thats more than a Sphynx, who are they kidding? I mean really.

Aside from anything else, I could buy a metal Skarsnik/Gobbler and NG Warboss on GCS and convert myself a better looking model, cast in a superior quality material for LESS money than that would cost me.

Epic fail methinks

The one good thing about this is it has finally answered the base-size question for the Mangler.

Infern0
21-11-2011, 17:27
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:cries: i had REALLY high hopes for the manglers

the one at the top looks weird:its cool , that he has a giant tongue, but his face is.... flat... or something.

so, as stated above:
- its too much for a kamikadzi unit for 65 points(in price AND size)
- its finecost
- it looks like its going to break easily

the only thing , i guess i could do with it to cut them appart and convert them in diffirent pairs with smaller squiggies

it looks OK, but not as "special".. and NOT PLASTIC:(

Infern0
21-11-2011, 17:30

was typing it and,but went to get some cookeis

I guess we a lot of us have a similiar idea:)

Vazalaar
21-11-2011, 17:30
I really like it, but 50euro is to much for what it is. First time I complain about the price.
It should have been 30euro.

ivan55599
21-11-2011, 17:31
I laughed. But I bet that that is most dynamic model of year. Happily I'm not O&G player.

EmperorNorton
21-11-2011, 17:34
I really like it, but 50euro is to much for what it is. First time I complain about the price.
It should have been 30euro.

I would have bought it if it were 30€ (from a store giving a discount, of course).

eldargal
21-11-2011, 17:37
I think the model is adorable but thirty six pounds worth of adorable? Probably not, especially since I don't collect OnG.

Spiney Norman
21-11-2011, 17:41
I think the model is adorable but thirty six pounds worth of adorable? Probably not, especially since I don't collect OnG.

Right, if I had that much money to randomly spend on my O&G army I'd get a second arachnarok

SVKBaki
21-11-2011, 17:43
well separated they could be just fine, but the top one looks retarded even by OnG standards :) but the price is simply inappropriate, i will rather create my own, something like herd of squigs is much nicer and more realistic imho for the 2D6 hits

so the december disappointment continues, it really could´ve been better if the previous rumour about not releasing anything was true :D

Makaber
21-11-2011, 17:43
I actually think it's kinda stupid. I love gobbo sillyness as much as the other guy, but this just looks daft. I have some Orcs lying around somewhere and I'm not getting this. Thanks you and have a nice evening.

druchii7
21-11-2011, 17:47
pick old DE coldones. chop'em at the belly and prepare your green stuff. you'll have much more suitable manglers

Hragnar Goreskull
21-11-2011, 17:49
Didn't see this mentioned but why is it on a round base? I know nothing about 40k Orcs? Is this a dual kit? Its ugly for sure, but I think thats a good thing for a greenskin IMO. :D

Avian
21-11-2011, 17:53
Didn't see this mentioned but why is it on a round base?
It's like a super Fanatic and Fanatics come on round bases.

I know nothing about 40k Orcs?
Umm ... yes? :shifty:

Is this a dual kit?
Well, no, but as mentioned, with some sawing you might be able to make a Mangler and another Mangler. ;)

Will have to see someone else try it out first, but if you can indeed get two of them out of one box, then it might be worth it.

loveless
21-11-2011, 17:55
Didn't see this mentioned but why is it on a round base? I know nothing about 40k Orcs? Is this a dual kit? Its ugly for sure, but I think thats a good thing for a greenskin IMO. :D

It works akin to the Night Goblin Fanatics, which are also on round bases. It's as much a roving damage template as a model if I remember right.

----

As mentioned before, I really like this thing, but it's so bloody expensive for what it is. I suppose you could split it in half and use a spare 60mm base to make two, but that seems like a waste of a nutty tower of destruction.

Hragnar Goreskull
21-11-2011, 17:58
Ah I see! Thanks, make more sense!

Tregar
21-11-2011, 18:01
Same as everyone else I guess, it's neat, but if it's as expensive as is being claimed, then I won't be buying one. Hopefully someone smarter than myself will buy one next month and put up a guide to converting it into two Manglers! Then I might consider it...

The bearded one
21-11-2011, 18:05
It looks cool.

But it also looks expensive. Too bad though, because it looks hilarious. I like the night gobbo inside the squig's mouth, nice wink to warhammer online.

Urgat
21-11-2011, 18:10
I don't like it :/

Aeron
21-11-2011, 18:11
It looks awesome!!! :eek: I used to HATE the old 5th edition squigs with the bizarre clown faces, the more realistic 6th edition squigs were fantastic.....BUT I actually like these, they look kinda retro but somewhat realistic (you know what I mean :p) at the same time.

I prefer the top squig personally - I like that the tongue adds a splash of colour and he has a grizzly scare and what looks like a false/injured eye. :evilgrin: I think the lower squig is kinda plain looking - are his eyes the same colour as him skin??

Nate

Lorcryst
21-11-2011, 18:11
Gaaaaaaah.

Lovely model, captures the right blend of crazyness and toothy mayhem, but 50 EUROS ?.? :wtf:

And to think I'd need four of those for my themed NGs at 3K ...

I can hear my wallet being raped :cries:

Oh well, let's hope I can find those at discounted prices on some websites ...

minionboy
21-11-2011, 18:15
Gotta say, I love this model and it makes me a bit sad that I sold my Night Goblins...

Tokamak
21-11-2011, 18:16
That is a great sculpt in the most traditional wa:, without looking at the detail or stilistic choices, what really stands out is the way the sculpture creates a flow for the eye, it leads you in a spiral that goes upward, that, coupled with how the empty spaces are integrated to balance out the volumes really makes it an admirable piece

That's the description I hoped would be appropriate for the Jabberslythe, but alas.

And I agree, but looked up close I'm not impressed by the individual squigs and details.

Dominatrix
21-11-2011, 18:17
Hilarious model at a tragic price (Forge World prices GW really?). Some pinning might be required to strengthen its base.

Vampiric16
21-11-2011, 18:18
£36? That's not even funny. That's taking a leak on us and not bothering to call it rain.
You can buy an Aracknarok (a 300ish pt rare choice, in plastic, with tonnes of options) for that money. And although my experiences with Finecast have been good so far, I agree that it was a bad choice for this model. A plastic kit similar to the fanatics would have been a much more intelligent choice.

ihavetoomuchminis
21-11-2011, 18:18
Gaaaaaaah.

Lovely model, captures the right blend of crazyness and toothy mayhem, but 50 EUROS ?.? :wtf:

And to think I'd need four of those for my themed NGs at 3K ...

I can hear my wallet being raped :cries:

Oh well, let's hope I can find those at discounted prices on some websites ...

Just buy 2 of them and convert it with some squig hoppers. That's what i'm going to do.

I don't like the Squig-tower. I like the model, but IMO it doesn't represent the Mangler Squig in a proper way. It's too static. In my mind, the mangler squig was like a squig-whirlwind made of chains, squigs, and pieces of night goblin. Not 2 giant squigs trying to reach the highest fruits in the tree.

Bael
21-11-2011, 18:19
That's pretty cool.
Not 50€ cool, though.

Exactly.

Was hoping for something more on the lines of the last Gobbla sculpt as well.

stashman
21-11-2011, 18:20
I'll buy 2 and make 4 of them!!! Awesome work again by GW

Tokamak
21-11-2011, 18:20
You can break it up and have two very fine mangler squigs.

EDIT: Great minds...

Lars Porsenna
21-11-2011, 18:29
I personally like it. Expensive, yes, but it also looks huge.

Is there any info on how much in USD this will cost? 36 UKP is approx $56, whereas 50 Euro is approx $67. Usually US prices are in-line with UK prices so...$49.50 (hoping) or $66 (expensive)?

Damon.

Tokamak
21-11-2011, 18:29
36 UKP is approx $56, whereas 50 Euro is approx $67. Usually US prices are in-line with UK prices so...$49.50

Yeah rub it in some more.

Aeron
21-11-2011, 18:32
I don't like the Squig-tower. I like the model, but IMO it doesn't represent the Mangler Squig in a proper way. It's too static. In my mind, the mangler squig was like a squig-whirlwind made of chains, squigs, and pieces of night goblin. Not 2 giant squigs trying to reach the highest fruits in the tree.

:D:D Too funny! Ha, seriously it is expensive and I see what people are saying when comparing it to an anaranork (sp?) what are people saying "its only a 65pt model, i'm not paying that!!" well...would you prefer it if it was a 100pt model? It's undercosted in game, be grateful :angel:

I know what your saying but remember your paying for the physical model not just the rules.

Others have said just to interate more - cut the top guy off and re-base him viola two mangler squigs :cool:

I wouldnt buy more than one and split him into 2 seperate squigs and convert packs of squigs for other manglers but i dont play O&G.

Overall I think its a nice litte treat for Greenskin lovers, great model with loads of character, either buy it and have a blast or use converts which is what most people already have - thereby saving yourself £35...it's win win. Which ever you choose, enjoy folks :)

Nate.

Dryaktylus
21-11-2011, 18:34
I like the Gobbo in the mouth of the upper squig. You don't have to worry about the weapons or equipment shown on the model, if you use it as a warboss on (in...) Giant Cave squig. :cool:

El Antiguo Guardián
21-11-2011, 18:36
Awesome as f*ked... :O

The bearded one
21-11-2011, 18:39
It's too static.

it.. it is?

In my mind, the mangler squig was like a squig-whirlwind made of chains, squigs, and pieces of night goblin. Not 2 giant squigs trying to reach the highest fruits in the tree.

The manglersquig is actually described as 2 giant squigs chained together with some night goblin riders who get squashed soon after start of the ride. Even so, I'm seeing a boatload of goblins on chains swirling around 2 giant squigs ;)

Kulgur
21-11-2011, 18:40
"Oh those look alright I might have to gra...."
*reads 50 euros*
"Ahahaha no."

Skarsnik, the Lord
21-11-2011, 18:42
Perkele, that's huge! :eek: I could make two Manglers from that, as the squigs are so big.

- Cheers, Skarsnik.

Mr. Ultra
21-11-2011, 18:50
Nice mini. Bad price. See ya GW.

Aeron
21-11-2011, 19:03
Nice mini. Bad price.

I think that is GW's ethos :D

Who knows maybe there will be new rules for a giant giant cave squig so people can use them as two models and with buffed rules. Fingers crossed.

Back on topic slightly - does finecast need pinning? I thought it was incredibly light??

Is it easier to cut than forgeworld resin??

Nate.

azhagmorglum
21-11-2011, 19:07

Me neither. Partly because of the price tag, that induces my dislike of the sculpt also.
Moreover, I was already not in love with the fluff, so now I've got 3 reasons not to like the model.
It could have had much more potential than that. Not a totally bad sculpt, but some details are rather bad, like some of the teeth, and the legs position (might be the picture angle though).

As I said before, the concept itself of the unit seems far fetched and too unrealistic (warhammer-wise I mean). I mean, 2 giant angry squigs with some gobbos trying to direct them, I think the gobbos won't last 2 minutes. And on the sculpt, instead of putting them somewhat behind the squigs, they are just all around and close to the jaws.
Moreover, I'd have prefered the 2 squigs next to each other, instead of this odd positioning that would surely create stability and sturdiness problems (though the finecast treatment might help with that...or not at all if the many people's bad experiences with finecast are to be believed).

One positive point : the gobbo hidden in the upper squig's mouth, though he's hard to point out.
To sum it up, I won't be buying it.

The bearded one
21-11-2011, 19:23
I mean, 2 giant angry squigs with some gobbos trying to direct them, I think the gobbos won't last 2 minutes.

Funny you should say that, because that's actually part of it's fluff.. the goblin crew are "volunteers" chained to the squigs, who "preserve some notion of goading the rolling monstrosities in a direction, however this fades the moment the creatures first move, and is altogether gone by the time they hit anything"

When the mangler squigs bounce through their first unit, the goblin crew is smashed to a pulp, hence why the mangler squigs start moving in random directions from that point on.

Brother Dimetrius
21-11-2011, 19:24
Like the model. Seems very expensive for what it is though.

Seems like a clear cut case to me. If you like the model and have money burning in your pocket, go nuts. If you just want it for use in-game and feel you shouldn't spend that kind of cash on a 60is point model... just convert.

azhagmorglum
21-11-2011, 19:28
Funny you should say that, because that's actually part of it's fluff.. the goblin crew are "volunteers" chained to the squigs, who "preserve some notion of goading the rolling monstrosities in a direction, however this fades the moment the creatures first move, and is altogether gone by the time they hit anything"

When the mangler squigs bounce through their first unit, the goblin crew is smashed to a pulp, hence why the mangler squigs start moving in random directions from that point on.

That's true ^^ but still seems too far fetched and silly to my taste (and I'm a greenskin player).

However, I had another look to the model, and I think that separately they would make rather fine boss mounts. It's when I see them together that I don't like them.
And the lower squig is the best of the two in my opinion

Schmapdi
21-11-2011, 19:29
Disappointing :/ I don't like the squigs on top of one another - and I don't like the crazy price. Honestly I think it would look better as just two giant, individual squigs. (Which, if that proves to be feasible from the kit - even for those of us with poor modeling skills - I might pick it up at some point)

Sad to wait all this time for a new squig release and have it turn out only so-so. Plastic Squig herds/hoppers better be great!

ARabidNun
21-11-2011, 19:33
I think I agree with the general concensus here. Not a terrible model, but definately not worth the price tag. Come on GW, why does it cost more than an Arachnarok or Terrorgeist??? These have way more influence with the game.

I think GW are testing the waters to see if they can push the 50€/USD etc price barrier. Hey if those suckers will pay 50 whatever for this we can continue raising our demand. Sorry, but I will continue looking for GW alternatives. Sad really, I have been trying to buy exclusive GW but they make it more difficult to justify those prices.

I found the Hasslefree maws worked really well for manglers. A different hybrid of blind squig that once it tastes blood, it goes out of control. :D

So GW, you prefer nylon or cotton pour your noose?

-Rabid

Garion
21-11-2011, 19:35
You guys are never happy, this forum is pretty depressing at times.

They are great. They are funny, fun and very different to anything else GW have sculpted. I like them alot, the price is a bit much £36 but isn't that just the hobby we like?

The bearded one
21-11-2011, 19:40
Honestly I think it would look better as just two giant, individual squigs. (Which, if that proves to be feasible from the kit - even for those of us with poor modeling skills - I might pick it up at some point)

It's finecast.. you could cut it half with a plastic eating knife.

loveless
21-11-2011, 19:48
They are great. They are funny, fun and very different to anything else GW have sculpted. I like them alot, the price is a bit much £36 but isn't that just the hobby we like?

No, not really - at least as far as the cost goes.

If they were $35 (USD), I would have bought a kit just to paint. $40 I would have picked them up if I really needed the unit in my army (they look way better than any conversions I've seen, though that's just my own opinion).

Anything higher than that makes them priced stupidly.

It's like the Vampire Counts Blood Knights - sure, they're cool and quirky, but it's pants-on-head-stupid to ask that much cash for a few chunks of resin.

shelfunit.
21-11-2011, 19:49

Hey - when they make something good we're happy, when they turn out this we're not. No - spending £36 on models like this is not "the hobby we like", especially when there are cheaper alternatives (http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=roaring-mawe~hfm018&category=miniatures~aliens%2C-animals-%26-monsters) availible.

azhagmorglum
21-11-2011, 19:51

To each person his opinion

I consider myself good public generally, but this time I feel disappointed. But I'm not flaming down the model or what, nor judging people who like the model.
As I said before, in MY opinion, it's the combination of fluff, sculpt and price tag that puts me off this release.

For me there is nonetheless some potential in the sculpt if you separate the 2 squigs.

It's good that GW tries to release every entry for each army, there is some kind of joy to be felt here, but as a greenskins player i was expecting more for this model. And let's say it again, the price is ridiculously high!!!

Darnok
21-11-2011, 19:55

Your opinion, and I'll do everything I can for you to be able to voice it. But I still think it is wrong. ;)

Garion
21-11-2011, 19:59
Dont get me wrong it is over priced. But you act like you are suprised. How long have you been GW customers? You should all know better ;)

Also just buy one, then recast it 3 times for your self and you are sorted. ;)

El Antiguo Guardián
21-11-2011, 20:00
I think is one of the best miniatures ever... GW is doing well with new failcash miniatures (jabberlock, bird of SoM)...

Avian
21-11-2011, 20:01

Surely what we like about the hobby isn't the high prices? :confused:

But if it turns out the resin casting is good and I can get it through Maelstrom and separate it into two models, then I'm certainly not complaining.

In unrelated news, I'm currently painting my plastic Savage Orcs and I'm very happy with them - good sculpting, plastic, not too expensive (£18 for 100ish points) and has a ton of options. Not sure why the Manglers couldn't be like that.

Malorian
21-11-2011, 20:04
I think it looks pretty silly really...

If I could split it into 2 I would as well.

druchii7
21-11-2011, 20:06
I don't like price nor design. price would be ok for a 250 p+ miniature. design is technically good buy I actually prefer current metal squiggs. their proportions and design look better to me

Voss
21-11-2011, 20:37
Well, thats one way to get around a stupidly large base.
But... yeah. Like the Jabberslythe, I'm questioning the design decision leading to the choice of material, plus stability and appropriateness of cost to points. I guess they figured that they couldn't get the same return on plastic moulds, but I would have been more impressed by slightly smaller squigs for a better price point.

TimLeeson
21-11-2011, 20:41
oh I like it, it reminds me of the old classic squigs...very characterful and dare I say "cute" ??? always had a soft spot for Squigs, even though I have no interest in orcs/goblins.

Urgat
21-11-2011, 20:50
Right, I'll explain.
I'm usually pretty easy to please, but well, what have you, tastes. I find these squigs horrid. I can understand people like them, heck, even my g/f disagrees with me and seems to like them, but I don't like them, they don't click at all. I don't like their faces (for stupid bouncing mushrooms, you look at them and you'd be hardly surprised if they started talking :rolleyes: ), I don't like their absurdly weak legs that certainly don't look like they can move such massive masses of flesh the way the fluff describes it. I also don't like the tiny chains that can't possibly hold those two things together more than ten seconds top, and I don't like the pose, it doesn't represent the fact those chains are there to maw the enemy troops at all (well, they're too short for that anyway, right?).
the goblins themselves aren't even wacky, the only fun thing is the goblin in the mouth (either he's being gobbled down, or it's a wink at W:AR).
So in short and to come back to my original post: I don't like that mangler. At all. Maybe I'll get one some day, because I basically collect goblin minis, but it's down there in my list, at the very bottom. I'll finish painting my snotlings before I get one :p

No - spending £36 on models like this is not "the hobby we like", especially when there are cheaper alternatives (http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=roaring-mawe~hfm018&category=miniatures~aliens%2C-animals-%26-monsters) availible.

That's not any better, at least GW went original, that's blatantly a pink demon w/o the cybernetic parts :eyebrows:

By the way, just to play the devil's advocate. Judging by the 60mm base size, it's probably quite large. Being sued to resin minis, I'm not sure I share the opinion it's a theft. Sure it's expensive, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see it in the flesh to decide if it's not a fair price regardless. It is not small, that's for sure (how I'm laughing at Spiney and his 40mm bases, aah :p)

Spiney Norman
21-11-2011, 21:16
I personally like it. Expensive, yes, but it also looks huge.

Is there any info on how much in USD this will cost? 36 UKP is approx $56, whereas 50 Euro is approx $67. Usually US prices are in-line with UK prices so...$49.50 (hoping) or $66 (expensive)?

Damon.

Using conventional currency conversion doesn't work, GW has their own twisted way of working out the price of models in different currencies.

In this instance look up how much the Finecast Dragon Ogre Shaggoth costs in your currency and that is how much the FC mangler squigs are going to cost.

Right, I'll explain.
I'm usually pretty easy to please, but well, what have you, tastes. I find these squigs horrid. I can understand people like them, heck, even my g/f disagrees with me and seems to like them, but I don't like them, they don't click at all. I don't like their faces (for stupid bouncing mushrooms, you look at them and you'd be hardly surprised if they started talking :rolleyes: ), I don't like their absurdly weak legs that certainly don't look like they can move such massive masses of flesh the way the fluff describes it. I also don't like the tiny chains that can't possibly hold those two things together more than ten seconds top, and I don't like the pose, it doesn't represent the fact those chains are there to maw the enemy troops at all (well, they're too short for that anyway, right?).
the goblins themselves aren't even wacky, the only fun thing is the goblin in the mouth (either he's being gobbled down, or it's a wink at W:AR).
So in short and to come back to my original post: I don't like that mangler. At all. Maybe I'll get one some day, because I basically collect goblin minis, but it's down there in my list, at the very bottom. I'll finish painting my snotlings before I get one :p

That's not any better, at least GW went original, that's blatantly a pink demon w/o the cybernetic parts :eyebrows:

By the way, just to play the devil's advocate. Judging by the 60mm base size, it's probably quite large. Being sued to resin minis, I'm not sure I share the opinion it's a theft. Sure it's expensive, but I'll reserve my judgement until I see it in the flesh to decide if it's not a fair price regardless. It is not small, that's for sure (how I'm laughing at Spiney and his 40mm bases, aah :p)

Come on, it was just a suggestion based on not wanting to be exploitive of my opponents. 60mm will be much easier to work with now its official, and the crazy thing is its going to be cheaper to convert a mangler from a Gobbla and GCS model (which IMHO are much better models) than buy the official one.

Redduke2
21-11-2011, 21:17
I am wondering if it is possible to cut them in 2, so you have 2 lose mangeler squigs on 2 seperate bases. Makes it easier to transport to:)

whitespyre
21-11-2011, 21:24
I am wondering if it is possible to cut them in 2, so you have 2 lose mangeler squigs on 2 seperate bases. Makes it easier to transport to:)

Beat me to it :)

Jacktheripper34
21-11-2011, 21:25
Well I'm gonna be that guy... AWESOME I WANT ONE (well 2)... Sorry for the all caps just couldn't help myself.

Fact of the matter is that since I started the hobby with a NG list and have since moved onto a mixed list (and TK but that's ot) I still rarely expect to win with O&G, let alone take them seriously. Yes it's OTT and ridiculous but let's remember these are squigs were talking about here, if you were a giant red ball of teeth who had munched on one two many NGs who were tripping on shrooms you would probably look retarded as well :)

Cheers,
Jack

Waagh Rider
21-11-2011, 21:26
I like it. I'd buy it for £20. I won't buy it for £36, I'll stick with my tiny squigs on large round bases.

shelfunit.
21-11-2011, 21:28

If by "original" you mean "like the little ones, but bigger" :eyebrows: and what's a "pink demon"?

Spiney Norman
21-11-2011, 21:30

I've seen this comment a number of times, and each time I'm left thinking "where would you get the other squig from?"

I get the desire to want to split the kit to get double value out of what is clearly the most overpriced model GW have produced ever (I mean this makes goldswords look positively cheap), but the whole premise of Mangler squigs is that there are two, very large, squigs. If you saw them in half you effectively have two Great Cave Squigs, which are not quite as good as the GCS model we already have...

I don't know why, but it reminds me a lot more of the 40K bomber squigs than any of the Warhammer Squig models in the range, I'm not sure what it is, just something about the general look I guess. Gobbla is a million times better than these.

I've just realised my Necron Tomb stalker cost only a few pounds more than that obscenity.

Eddie Chaos
21-11-2011, 21:36
love the mini by its too rich for my blood

Urgat
21-11-2011, 21:39
If by "original" you mean "like the little ones, but bigger" :eyebrows:
But they don't look like the smaller ones :eyebrows: There's not two fricken squig that look the same. But it's not the good variation, no, it's different concepts completely. Heck, the hoppers/herders squigs don't look the same at all. The only ones that look about the same are the manglers/chase squigs. Manglers, big boss great cave squig and Gobbla are all supposed to be kindda the same species, and they look nothing like each other (excepted they have a big mouth, too legs are are painted red, of course). It feels like GW has no idea what they want to do with squigs.

and what's a "pink demon"?

A pinky, doom3. You ought to know your classics, man :p

mweaver
21-11-2011, 21:40
Thanks Eldargal.

Like the model, but if that price is accurate I am unlikely to purchase one. Also, as others have noticed, given the fragility of fine cast and resins in general, it looks fragile.

Cute model, though, in a gonzo orcy/gobbliny way.

StormCrow
21-11-2011, 21:40
Well the price is offputting but beyond that those squigs just don't do justice to the characterful lunacy of regular sized squigs. Those things don't look agile or insane enough to leap around ripping things apart and their faces are too disconnected from what I like in regular squig herds.

I might have to try sculpting my own and see how difficult it really is to get squigs right on a large scale.

If my price conversion skills are accurate that is going to cost around $96 Australian dollars... I don't think they need to bother shipping any over here :(

Lars Porsenna
21-11-2011, 21:44
Using conventional currency conversion doesn't work, GW has their own twisted way of working out the price of models in different currencies.

In this instance look up how much the Finecast Dragon Ogre Shaggoth costs in your currency and that is how much the FC mangler squigs are going to cost.

Right then. $57.75. Still fairly expensive.

Damon.

Shimmergloom
21-11-2011, 21:48
New mangler + price: horrible, F.

shelfunit.
21-11-2011, 21:54
But they don't look like the smaller ones :eyebrows: There's not two fricken squig that look the same. But it's not the good variation, no, it's different concepts completely. Heck, the hoppers/herders squigs don't look the same at all. The only ones that look about the same are the manglers/chase squigs. Manglers, big boss great cave squig and Gobbla are all supposed to be kindda the same species, and they look nothing like each other (excepted they have a big mouth, too legs are are painted red, of course). It feels like GW has no idea what they want to do with squigs.

Are (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod1160169) you (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod840929) having (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod840932) a (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod1040504) larf? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod1160170)
They're the same red tennis ball with teeth and legs, just bigger.

A pinky, doom3. You ought to know your classics, man :p

I did have a flicker of recognition, but not a fan of first person games. Originality should not be used as an excuse for not using a better looking, cheaper alternative.

scarletsquig
21-11-2011, 21:59
That is awesome, I love it.

Utterly loopy model and I really like the oldschool sculpting style. Been a while since GW released a model that was just plain fun and demented.Of course they look crazy and comical, that's the whole thing with squigs. :)

That said, I also can see myself cutting it in half to make 2 unique manglers to get some more value out of the kit. I don't care what the army book says regarding 2 of them chained together, a big demented looking squig on a base for 60 points will do the job for me.

AlexHolker
21-11-2011, 22:01
That is awesome, I love it.
Yeah, but you're biased. :p

Lord Inquisitor
21-11-2011, 22:05
Meh, considering the concept is pretty weak, the model looks pretty much as I expected. Looks like two big squigs chained together. Not really understanding the hate. Not about to rush out and buy the model just to paint it but it looks like two big squigs chained together. Now that's a pretty stupid idea and the squigs themselves are pretty stupid from the get-go so it's not much of a surprise that it looks goofy... but within that remit it looks okay...

Rikk
21-11-2011, 22:08
Have to say im now not too sure about this model. A few hours ago I thought too expensive, too small and just doesn't have the vision Ive had in my head since I got the army book. Now however the models starting to grow on me. 60mm base means its going to be quite tall and large for its size. The price still bothers me but I think Ill pick one up.

scarletsquig
21-11-2011, 22:14
Yeah, but you're biased. :p

I do own every squig model that GW has ever released (including those really weird ones from the 2nd edition 40k ork range, back when squigs were an integral part of the background, and orks didn't have hair, they wore sqwigs instead!), so you might have a point there.

This mangler is very close to the older style of squig which is my personal favourite brand of squig... all warty and grinny and full of character.

Vepr
21-11-2011, 22:16
Not a big fan of them being stacked like that but they fit in with the general craziness and fun of O&G.

Astraeos
21-11-2011, 22:18
Thanks for the pics Eldargal! Those beasts have great looking faces.

ghost21
21-11-2011, 22:21

ill probably get 3, but im reposing them for certain, n why did they use the ugly version of the ghorgon, cygor honestly...

loveless
21-11-2011, 22:22
n why did they use the ugly version of the ghorgon, cygor honestly...

As in ugly paint scheme or as in "there was another concept, but they scrapped it"?

Skywave
21-11-2011, 22:35
If anything, I think those Squigs are too big! I expected something more or less the size of Gobbla, or the Goblin warboss on giant squig, or the big one from The Chase. I certainly didn't expected to have them not fit on a 60mm base outside of piling them on each other.

The one on the base is awesome though, but the one on top kinda have a herp derp face. I don't play Orcs, but if I was I think I would split those, and use each Squig on his own bases, screw the description saying it's two chained together, a ultra-big 60mm Squig shoud be good enough :D

One Man Assault
21-11-2011, 22:35
One of the most characterful models GW have released in a long time. However, I'd like to pay £20 for it and probably would have guilty picked it up at £25.

Liber
21-11-2011, 22:58
LOVE the model.

Love it even more when i considered that it would probably look even better if the 2 squigs were painted different colors.

I won't say anything about the price, everyone else has already said it.

What i will say is that if very few people end up purchasing it due to the ridiculous price for a 65 pt model then maybe (hopefully) GW will get the hint and realize that charging stupid prices actually HURTS profits as opposed to increasing them....i can dream right?

loveless
21-11-2011, 23:00
What i will say is that if very few people end up purchasing it due to the ridiculous price for a 65 pt model then maybe (hopefully) GW will get the hint and realize that charging stupid prices actually HURTS profits as opposed to increasing them....i can dream right?

It will more likely go like this:

Cronie: "Sir! The Mangler Squigs aren't selling very well!"
GW Dark Lord: "Very well...increase the price to compensate."
Cronie: "But sir, the price is already at the maximum level!"
GW Dark Lord: "Dammit, I didn't get this far by playing it safe! Increase the price!"
Cronie: "Y-yes sir!"

Rikkjourd
21-11-2011, 23:12
Impressive modelwise, but ruined by material and price.

Liber
21-11-2011, 23:15

GW Dark Lord: "Dammit, I didn't get this far by playing it safe! Increase the price!"

at first i was like :D

but then i was like :cries:

(funny cause its true, sadder cause its true!)

Korraz
22-11-2011, 00:34
I just can't stop laughing. I really can't. Every time I stop I either see the price or the model, and there I go again.

O&G'sRule
22-11-2011, 01:12
definitely having one, but the price I think will encourage me to convert others as its only really a distraction unit not a main monster. Hadnt thought about having them on top of each other like that, good idea. things like rhino's in 40k have had a similar points for the price for years, so thats not a major concern. Gnobblars work out at about a pound a point too dont they? Its nothing new. just did it have to be that big? It will never be put in a carry case, it would snap almost every time by looks of it if in finecast. Can see alot of upset kids in a few months. yet I still like it

Khaman
22-11-2011, 01:16
Price confirmed at $57.75

Sheena Easton
22-11-2011, 01:39
If anything, I think those Squigs are too big!

This is what I don't like about the model...

DaemonReign
22-11-2011, 01:45
If that really is a 60mm round base, which I assume it still is, then I have to second the whole model just being a bit to big for comfort. Height of a giant more or less, taller than Greater Daemons.. Good god..

We'll probably get 2 of these, separate them into 4 actual models, and that's it. Almost 60 bux per model is pushing it too.. even for someone like me who usually wouldn't care about the money spent..

someone2040
22-11-2011, 01:52
This is what I don't like about the model...
That's my thoughts as well.
If they're going to be THAT large, then quite rightly people should be thinking about cutting the second one off the top and putting it on it's own base. I mean, one of them alone take up the 60mm base, let alone you've got one jumping on top of the other.

So if I wanted manglers, certainly I would be looking at trying to cut off that second one and put it on it's own base. Regardless if the fluff says they are 2 large squigs chained together.

Craze_b0i
22-11-2011, 02:18
I agree with the posters who have said cut them apart and use them as 2 seperate units. First it will probably look better and second its the only way to justify the price tag.

Shimmergloom
22-11-2011, 02:33
If mangler squigs are really that big then they should be a lot more powerful. And the whole idea that 5 dogs can just move toward it and kill it outright is laughable. The manglers would just eat them and keep on plowing anything in their path.

Walls
22-11-2011, 02:55
Well, then dragons should be unkillable and giants should destroy everything!

TsukeFox
22-11-2011, 02:57

Made my day with that
-albeit the statement about girding the model to make & sell coke is a close 2nd

eastern barbarian
22-11-2011, 03:14
most of people said it already. Nice model but price is ridiculous. Even when you consider you can make two manglers out of it, still too expensive. And failcast to top it up... no thanks, i will pass.

Shatterclaw
22-11-2011, 03:28
Um, just an idea.. there two Squigs there, its a muit part model, finecast or not..

can you make two manger's Squigs out of it, with just an extra base and green stuff, may be some spare gobbos?

I like the idea, not sure i like the two squids on top of each other. I get the feeling that it would break at some point.

Nice idea, but I have to say I'm not convinced by the top Squig. The lower one is great and all, but most people (myself included) play 2 Mangler Squigs. And there is no way I pay 100€ for the same model twice and with the chance of a Finecast problem.
Thanks, I'll stick to my Chase conversions.

nanktank
22-11-2011, 03:42
I quite like the look of it, but there no way that I will pay an Australian $96 for one if thats what a Shaggoth costs here!!

Skywave
22-11-2011, 04:45
I played a little with the pics since I'm not alone that find them on the 'to big' side, here's what would be a great way to use them (and get more bang for your buck) ;

quietus1986
22-11-2011, 05:05
il get one :D but then I think its a cool model

Morpheus
22-11-2011, 05:43
I think the model will grow on me seeing it in person. But wow, I really thought it was a typo when I first saw the price.... Then I realized it is GW...

I don't get it personally I had always pictured it as two large squigs, not giant squigs, and certainly not behemoth squigs. I thought for a 65 point unit that we can only have 2 of in a standard army a simpler smaller model in finecast (and well sculpted to show off all of the advantages that is supposed to come with it) would have been great. But seriously to make it so big and price it in range of the araknarok?!

Urgat
22-11-2011, 06:47
Are (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod1160169) you (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod840929) having (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod840932) a (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod1040504) larf? (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440080a&prodId=prod1160170)
They're red and have teeth, yeah. But they look as alike as a motorbike compared to a bicycle.
Those manglers are round things with chicken legs and an orc face, the herder squigs are scaly tyranids with two legs.If you can't see how they're completly different, I'm not sure I want to bother explaining any further. Instead, I explained why I don't like them, you don't have to agree, but how about accepting my opinion and moving on?

edit: you can't put all the links together, won't work :p

I think the model will grow on me seeing it in person. But wow, I really thought it was a typo when I first saw the price.... Then I realized it is GW...

I don't get it personally I had always pictured it as two large squigs, not giant squigs, and certainly not behemoth squigs. I thought for a 65 point unit that we can only have 2 of in a standard army a simpler smaller model in finecast (and well sculpted to show off all of the advantages that is supposed to come with it) would have been great. But seriously to make it so big and price it in range of the araknarok?!
People have to understand GW is a miniature company. The rules are an excuse to sell those minis, they do the minis the way they want and don't really give a fig about how they fit the usual rules. That's why your DE dragon is on a dragon base, and the VC dragon is on an arachnarok base. They made tentative rules in this book, then they sculpted the model. If GW thinks it won't fit, probably the mangolers will be a tad more deadly comes the next book. But there's bigger things that aren't that deadly either (giants and so on), so...
I kindda agree that it's weird those squigs are bigger than even gobbla, though.

warflag
22-11-2011, 07:20
A pity...

They are as ugly as current Gobbla is. But in a "badly sculpted" sense of ugly.
Really not looking good. Plus, it´s a fun and throwaway unit no one needs anyway.
But ey, "let´s tag it with a higher price than the Rack Röck Spider, it is finecast, is it not?"... is a path I cannot follow.
A bit ridiculous. They have lost me a while ago, and it hurts to see Chaos Marines on the horizon, but releases like this one keep driving me off.

DaemonReign
22-11-2011, 07:28
Are you guys sure that's a 60mm round base?

The model itself would somehow make a lot more sense it if was actually a 40mm round base.

The price, of course, would make even less sense.. But that's beside that point?

Anyway, has anyone read the WD where those pics are from? Has anyone actually seen official word that it is, indeed, a 60mm round base?

Stupid question, perhaps.. It's just they look so ridiculously BIG..

Garion
22-11-2011, 07:56
I played a little with the pics since I'm not alone that find them on the 'to big' side, here's what would be a great way to use them (and get more bang for your buck) ;

Yeah they actually look better one their own bases :S which is strange, as I said I really like them, but one thing that bugs me a little is - it appears as though there is only one possible way to assemble them. I personally don't like having two of the same monster that are in the same pose. It bothers me. If i do get round to buying 1 I think I will be splitting them up.

Avian
22-11-2011, 08:00
Are you guys sure that's a 60mm round base?
Yes. You can tell by comparing the size of the base with the size of the Goblins.

DaemonReign
22-11-2011, 08:51
Thanks Avian.. and you're right.. should have thought about them goblins.. silly me.

So it's really that big huh?
And Finecast too..

Odd.

Crovax20
22-11-2011, 08:59
Sigh, one can only hope a smart company takes notice of this abysmal pricetag and produces something similar but for less $$.

I mean who wouldn't want something in the same vein as these, but then somewhat smaller and in a non finecast format? That the two squigs have to stand on top of eachother goes to show GW went overboard with the size of these things. So a shrewd company can easily generate sales by making a smaller model of a superior material and a superior price point.

I am of the opinion GW missed out on a oppurtunity here. Imagine if they had made a squig herder or (though they aren't so good in 8th) squig hopper plastic kit and included one mangler squig unit in those as well. Those things would fly of the shelves and create happy customers. The thing they release now is more of a painters model than a gamers model with the choice of material and the cost.

Dreadlordpaul
22-11-2011, 09:04
I dont know why but this is screaming abysall terror to me

Lord Skrolk
22-11-2011, 09:32
Cool as ******. Totally dig the model. GW are pumping it out at the mo.

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 10:33

That's just not true, the big squigs look like completely different creatures, even if you allow for their size.

Gobbla fitted the smaller squigs, but these ones just don't, they've done 5th edition squigs with 8th edition detailing and it looks just weird.

Oogie boogie boss
22-11-2011, 10:34
Oh dear. Not a fan.

Dæmon
22-11-2011, 10:55
Delusional GW prices yet if we make the purchase.. then its reality :(

Okuto
22-11-2011, 11:05
I'm not paying that much....lol

I'll just make my own thank you....

Horace35
22-11-2011, 11:27
Not really a fan of the way they are on top of each other. My first thought was like many - Cut it in 2 and make a second Mangler. Im not convinced how good that will look tho, they look too big compared to what I would use as the additional second squig for each base.

Also as a side note to their size - isnt Gobbla supposed to be massive? They look a LOT bigger.

Will prob still end up getting one just to add to the collection.

Urgat
22-11-2011, 11:33
Also as a side note to their size - isnt Gobbla supposed to be massive? They look a LOT bigger.

They ARE a lot bigger. Gobbla PLUS Skarsnik fit on a 40*60mm base.

My eyes are betraying me: on the front pic, you can see a spiked ball behind the right "foot" of the down-most squig... I can't find it back on the back shot :confused:

ghost21
22-11-2011, 11:35
As in ugly paint scheme or as in "there was another concept, but they scrapped it"?

there was a better concept, more clasical greek inspired

Orrinocco
22-11-2011, 11:50
Count me as one who thinks this is a nice model but the cost is way too high for what I'm getting

Oogie boogie boss
22-11-2011, 11:50
My main problem is that they don't really look that much like the other squigs. And the price is just plain ridiculous. There's no way GW can justify that for a model worth 65pts in the game. They're only charging that much because they know how popular they are.

Horace35
22-11-2011, 11:56
Personally I dont really care about x price for y points.

I would care if the model was rubbish in the game - I wouldnt want to pay lots for something that is essentially useless.

Manglers are quality so the points are irrelevant for me. I would say 25 quid seems more reasonable but I dont expect reasonable.

Waagh Rider
22-11-2011, 11:57
I'm now thinking.....get them from Dark Sphere and split them up, 'cos that makes the cost way more palatable...

Urgat
22-11-2011, 11:57
I don't get why people make the price/point cost adequation. It costs that price because it's massive, obviously :wtf:

Jim
22-11-2011, 12:02
My main problem is that they don't really look that much like the other squigs. And the price is just plain ridiculous. There's no way GW can justify that for a model worth 65pts in the game. They're only charging that much because they know how popular they are.

This is an interesting point of view - you believe expensive 'in game points' models justify their real world £ or $ price more than low in game points models?

Is there any justification for this?... Surely the size, complexity, expected volume of sales and casting medium (ie plastic/metal/finecast) should determine the cost?

IE A large, finely detailed, complex, finecast model that you are probably only going to buy 1 or 2 of (Mangler) will cost more than a small, basic, plastic model you will buy hundreds of (Goblin)...

Jim

KSpen
22-11-2011, 12:12
TLOS people TLOS!

Now my squigs got even less chance of making it to turn 3 :(

Punk_in_Drublic
22-11-2011, 12:22
I don't mind the kit, but I miss the customization options for when tou want more than one in the army. Strange decision on the use of finecast before plastic, and they're waaay too big. Let me echo what a lot of ppl have said before me. Buy one, split the kit in two. And here's hoping that there will be a general concensus that one on a 60 mm base will count just fine for tournament purposes..

SquigBoy Extraordinaire
22-11-2011, 13:39
Hi People
I don't agree with the price tag either, and to be honest, I would expect the option to customise the squigs and have them running side by side, for instance, with a stretched chain between then dragging a score of Goblins behind them.
Mangler squigs template for €50 seems overpriced any way you cut it, for a model that will be made in a dubious quality resin, that requires a few extra doses of green stuff to look good and then will look like an oversized red blimp on the battlefield, that will look exactly like everyone else's.
I love O&G and was expecting a bit more respect for the people who collect them, rather than throwing in an overpriced squig sandwich.
For the wait we were due, a plastic kit like the one for the cygor would be more interesting.

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 13:54
I don't agree with the price complaints at all. This model is HUGE, it has about, if not more than volume than the Wyvern which is way more expensive.

I like the concept and size of the model, I love the silhouette but think the characteristics are way off otherwise I would've bought it. If I had a NG army I would've bought two of them and have one of them with squigs in swapped places. These are the kind of models that will do wonders to the overall look of your army.

And here's hoping that there will be a general concensus that one on a 60 mm base will count just fine for tournament purposes..

No way, then it would be way too easy to confuse with all those other miniatures on 60 mm round bases.

Korraz
22-11-2011, 13:57
Well, then dragons should be unkillable and giants should destroy everything!

Except by Manglers. Going by the models, they shouldn't work like Fanatics, they should have "Ginormous Killing Blow - Remove 6D6 Models of units and all terrain features they touch"

I'm suspecting that the squigs got sculpted by somebody else than the chains and the gobbos. The Squigs were sculpted as 2 or 3 Ups, but the memo about downsizing them was lost.

I don't get why people make the price/point cost adequation. It costs that price because it's massive, obviously :wtf:

Because 65 points don't suggest "Two baseballs made of resin, albeit gorgeous ones."

Punk_in_Drublic
22-11-2011, 14:02
No way, then it would be way too easy to confuse with all those other miniatures on 60 mm round bases.

Which other minis on 60mm round bases?

Korraz
22-11-2011, 14:03
My sensors suggest that he was being sarcastic.

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 14:03
ALL of them.

Drakemaster
22-11-2011, 14:16
Was really looking forward to this kit, but for me its a big disapointment - and its not very often that I'm genuinely unimpressed with new GW kits.

Ignoring the price issue, the model doesn't work for me for several reasons:

1. Its FAR too big. These are supposed to be the same beasts as the Boss Great Cave Squig (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1330577&prodId=prod840846), but these look to be around twice the size, dwarfing even Gobbla who is supposed to be a particularly big Great Cave Squig. If you have either of the other GCS models in your army, these are going to look out of place.

2. The faces look really flat - not in terms of detail, but as if the squig itself has run into a wall or something. All of the more recent squig models have moved away from the flat face look, with protruding jaws, eyes set back from the nose and so on. Again, it means they don't fit in with the rest of the squig range.

3. The lower legs look really spindly - particularly contrasted with Gobbla and the Boss squig. Not only does that mean they don't actually look particularly convincing as monsters (well, as convincing as a giant bouncing mushroom ball with teeth can be, anyway :D) but again means they don't fit in with other squig models.

I like the chaotic nature of the sculpt, with goblins flying everywhere, but the squigs themselves really ruin it for me. The mounted squig model isn't particularly great, but I still prefer it to these, and Gobbla is far superior as far as I'm concerned. Looks like my best option is to pick up some of the NG Boss Squig models, file off the rider, and attempt to vary the models with a bit of GS work. Will be less than half the price as well. Even buying the mounted squig and Gobbla comes out around £10 cheaper, and means the model is the right size at least...

Urgat
22-11-2011, 14:32
Because 65 points don't suggest "Two baseballs made of resin, albeit gorgeous ones."

Ping pong balls would be my guess for how big they are. Doesn't change the fact that the point value has nothing to do with the size/material/whatever of the mini.
If there was a... a goblin airship in the armybook, that does nothing impressive enough to warrant more than 50 pts (dunno, a goblin airship like in Warcraft. Can move fast, but is weaponless, and offers just a boost or something, like a mediocre but fast chaos warshrine. There: lends its LoS to other units, allowing ranged units to shoot at hidden targets, and, in rare occasions, some outlandish charge. I don't care, just imagine something.), but came as something bigger than a baneblade (because it's still an airship), would anybody expect it to cost less than 50 euros because it's only 50 points? Of course not, right? Right? Well, reading this topic, obviously, no, wrong. Wrong. Who cares if it's big and detailed (regardless of weither you like it or not), it's only 50 points, so it should be cheap to buy... heh.

Baragash
22-11-2011, 14:52
Ping pong balls would be my guess for how big they are. Doesn't change the fact that the point value has nothing to do with the size/material/whatever of the mini.
If there was a... a goblin airship in the armybook, that does nothing impressive enough to warrant more than 50 pts (dunno, a goblin airship like in Warcraft. Can move fast, but is weaponless, and offers just a boost or something, like a mediocre but fast chaos warshrine. There: lends its LoS to other units, allowing ranged units to shoot at hidden targets, and, in rare occasions, some outlandish charge. I don't care, just imagine something.), but came as something bigger than a baneblade (because it's still an airship), would anybody expect it to cost less than 50 euros because it's only 50 points? Of course not, right? Right? Well, reading this topic, obviously, no, wrong. Wrong. Who cares if it's big and detailed (regardless of weither you like it or not), it's only 50 points, so it should be cheap to buy... heh.

2 reasons:
1) because spending a lot of time and money on models that go in and out of the case quickly most of the time as they aren't that survivable is not fun
2) because low-point, high cost items increase the amount of money you have to spend to get an army up to the locally played points value

In answer to your example, I'd expect a big centre-piece model to cost more than 50 points and do better stuff, so, err in that particular example I'd object to it's rules, not it's price*

*Well, I'd object to it's price anyway due to being a signed up GW price hater, but relatively speaking in this case ;)

Korraz
22-11-2011, 14:57

The problem is, that said ship will be GIANT, plastic and customizable, while the squigs are needlessly big, monopose, "fine"cast AND you generally want several of them.
And I just said that the points (and, I want to add, the fluff and the rules) wouldn't suggest....this.

I don't really care. The price is "righ" in GW terms. It's in now way reasonable. It's even less reasonable for a throwaway unit. If I ever want Manglers, I'll just convert some. Troll Fanatics or something.

Lord Dan
22-11-2011, 15:17
I'm sorry, they want how much? it's like they're trying to price me out of their gaming system.

loveless
22-11-2011, 15:20
I'm sorry, they want how much? it's like they're trying to price me out of their gaming system.

The best way to deal with customer complaints is to get new customers, of course.

Urgat
22-11-2011, 15:22
The problem is, that said ship will be GIANT, plastic and customizable, while the squigs are needlessly big, monopose, "fine"cast AND you generally want several of them.
And I just said that the points (and, I want to add, the fluff and the rules) wouldn't suggest....this.

I don't really care. The price is "righ" in GW terms. It's in now way reasonable. It's even less reasonable for a throwaway unit. If I ever want Manglers, I'll just convert some. Troll Fanatics or something.

Mmmh. I'll give up there on the devil's advocate act, I don't feel like defending a model I don't like anymore :p

The best way to deal with customer complaints is to get new customers, of course.
Trading customers that won't pay for customers that will pay seem a sound tactic to me :p

Korraz
22-11-2011, 15:28
Mmmh. I'll give up there on the devil's advocate act, I don't feel like defending a model I don't like anymore :p

I'm glad that we can settle this out of court, since I don't want to argue against a model I simply don't care about. :shifty:

Spiney Norman
22-11-2011, 15:42

I think the problem is not to do with points, but that its a colossally expensive centre-piece model for a disposable throw-away unit. Generally people make their army centre-piece either a powerful character or a particularly imposing or impressive monster. It would be like making beautifully detailed skaven slaves in Finecast and charging £20 for 5, how many people do you suppose would pay that instead of say, just painting some clan-rats a different colour?

Making a huge, impressive (not that I am especially impressed by the manglers) collosally expensive model for a cheap unit that is going to get nuked in the first shoot phase just doesn't appeal to me.

If it was a highly detailed warboss riding a Wyvern for an excessive amount of money then I'd consider it a much better investment of my money and my time to paint it because I'm likely going to have built my army around the warboss and be pretty careful about keeping him alive.

Quite simply the mangler is totally the wrong unit to have tried to pull this kind of stunt on. And the model may be big, but its not Arachnarok spider big as its price suggests it ought to be.

Toe Cutter
22-11-2011, 15:43
While it is massive and very expensive, at least its quite a pretty model. It could be worse, you could be lumbered with the razorgor - a model that costs five points less, is a bit smaller, slightly cheaper, and a hell of a lot uglier.

Oh and your rares could be massively over pointed and now have models that look like, after a very long wait, we've been given a conversion kit to add on to the existing giant model kit (plus a load of skulls - always handy to have a load of skulls).

Basically what I'm saying is I sympathise with your predicament but it could be worse, you could collect beastmen. :)

Spiney Norman
22-11-2011, 15:49
While it is massive and very expensive, at least its quite a pretty model. It could be worse, you could be lumbered with the razorgor - a model that costs five points less, is a bit smaller, slightly cheaper, and a hell of a lot uglier.

Oh and your rares could be massively over pointed and now have models that look like, after a very long wait, we've been given a conversion kit to add on to the existing giant model kit (plus a load of skulls - always handy to have a load of skulls).

Basically what I'm saying is I sympathise with your predicament but it could be worse, you could collect beastmen. :)

You're totally right, I can't say anything to that. Beastmen get some new models that are not only overpriced, but crap as well. You have my sympathies friend.

Still I'm still reserving the right to be disappointed with the mangler, its not razor-gor bad, but neither is it Arachnarok-good.

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 16:15
I think the problem is not to do with points, but that its a colossally expensive centre-piece model for a disposable throw-away unit.

So it is to do with the points.

This thing is an army centrepiece already. It will be there on the display and it will be the first thing people's attention will be drawn to. Who cares if it won't be around too long in combat? Unless you ceremonically burn every destroyed unit ever game I don't see any reason to complain about this price in particular.

Lorcryst
22-11-2011, 16:27
Bah, whatever the point costs, I take 2 of those in my NG 2K list, and even if they die first turn, that's a lot of shooting that doesn't hit my main unit :p

And if they survive the first round of shooting, they do an absolute CARNAGE on said shooting units :cool:

I'll still buy at least one kit to build "as shown", and probably a total of 4 kits over the months, just not in one big Xmas splurge ;)

Punk_in_Drublic
22-11-2011, 16:30
ALL of them.

Don't be a *****. By tournament concensus, it's not just the side of the base to take in account, but obviously also the size of the actual mini.

Urgat
22-11-2011, 16:44

I much prefer the razorgor, actually :p Yes I'm serious, no I'm not joking or being sarcastic or anything, for those who have a broken irony-meter :p
I also like the beastmen monsters a lot, by the way.

Wargorelord
22-11-2011, 16:56
I would take the new Beastmen Monsters any time... I think the mangler is terrible in both ways price and look.

Little Joe
22-11-2011, 17:04
I'll skip commenting on the price. (I would have wanted two:skull::skull:)

This is "not" a gaming piece with TLOS on the board. The squigs separate on two bases could make it work, but I am unsure of that.
I really like all the detail on this model, but those squigs are just way to huge and do not fit my army. Besides the upper one is just plain ugly and is only saved by the gobbo in its mouth.

I collect VC as well and they are rumored to be around the corner, now please tell me why I should not use the money there? It will get me a lot more.:wtf:

Toe Cutter
22-11-2011, 17:08
I much prefer the razorgor, actually :p Yes I'm serious, no I'm not joking or being sarcastic or anything, for those who have a broken irony-meter :p
I also like the beastmen monsters a lot, by the way.

:) It takes all sorts I suppose. This is actually why I quite like the new models discussion threads cos you're guaranteed to get the whole spectrum of reactions about the models. What I then find amusing is the various people who simply cannot believe that others have differing opinions.

I almost agree with you about the razorgor. Its a decent paint job (what is it about GW and their dodgy pale paint jobs these days?) away from being a reasonable model and, if the lion king had never been invented, may have come in for a lot less hate. I can still make five better razorgor out of balsa, green stuff and orc boars for less than the price of one of the actual models though.

I don't actively dislike the cygor/ghorgon but I do believe it looks like its an odd on kit for the giant model. The alternative sculpts that are out there for both models are a lot better.

Anyways enough derailing. Sad face for you about the sheer cost of the model but it is quite nice none the less.

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 17:15
Meh, we're playing without TLOS anyway, it's a travesty.

Lorcryst
22-11-2011, 17:17
Well, call me a fanboy, but I can see an advantage (gasp!) to huge Manglers with TLOS rules : even more cover for my army :p

EmperorNorton
22-11-2011, 17:18

This thing is an army centrepiece already. It will be there on the display and it will be the first thing people's attention will be drawn to. Who cares if it won't be around too long in combat? Unless you ceremonically burn every destroyed unit ever game I don't see any reason to complain about this price in particular.
Yes, it has something to do with the points.
GW don't simply produce models, they produce models for a specific purpose within their game.
Somebody buying this thing just because he likes the sculpt and wants to paint it will probably not worry too much about the price.
Anybody who wants this model to play will probably have a problem with spending 50€ for something that is a mere 3% of a standard size army. If all things were costed accordingly, you'd have to pay a cool 1500€ for 2000 points of O&G. Geez.
As a model it might be priced okay, as a playing piece it simply is disconnected from its function and it would work better at half the size and half the cost. There is absolutely no need for it to be as big as it is, that's an arbitrary decision made by the designers. Hence justifying the price with the size is tautologic.

Bah, whatever the point costs, I take 2 of those in my NG 2K list, and even if they die first turn, that's a lot of shooting that doesn't hit my main unit :p

And if they survive the first round of shooting, they do an absolute CARNAGE on said shooting units :cool:

I'll still buy at least one kit to build "as shown", and probably a total of 4 kits over the months, just not in one big Xmas splurge ;)
As long as they have customers like you GW's managers can rest easy at night.

dobbo
22-11-2011, 17:36
hmmm great height for cannons to get line of sight with. Guess I will be sticking for my normal height ones

Lars Porsenna
22-11-2011, 17:50
The biggest concern I have at this point is, will I be accused of modelling-to-advantage if I do my own mangler bases using squig herds and some fanatics? Because I'm starting to lean in that direction...

Damon.

ihavetoomuchminis
22-11-2011, 17:57
I don't get how some people says that price has nothing to do with performance or point costs when we have those horrid 32,5 euros boxes for 10 models. So..... when it is good for GW, price is attached to points and role in the battlefield. When it's good for GW, it is not. Ok ok.....i get it.

Belakor
22-11-2011, 18:03
Really? Another rumour thread turned into a price whine feast? Original...

Thanks to those who posted the pictures.

eastern barbarian
22-11-2011, 18:07
I don't care about being accused of modelling for advantage as i made my manglers long time ago (one is mantic mawbeast with extra herder behind , one old gobbla that will have fanatic attached to it flying in the air). Model is not bad in my opinion, quite funny and all, but NO WAY I am ever paying that price.
@Belakor- people "whine" because in this case there is really good reason to do so. Myself I am not going to whine because as mentioned already i made my models some time ago and have no need for another one. If you are happy to pay 50 euro for a ball of finecrap (ok, two balls) then greatm, good for you. Most of people are not. Not every criticism of GW is "whining".

eron12
22-11-2011, 18:13
It's uglier than I expected. I was never likely to get the model, but I was at least hoping for some insperation. I find the model very disapointing, especially the one on top of the other pose.

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 18:29
Anybody who wants this model to play will probably have a problem with spending 50€ for something that is a mere 3% of a standard size army. If all things were costed accordingly, you'd have to pay a cool 1500€ for 2000 points of O&G. Geez.

I for one am glad that GW aren't letting the budget for producing a model be compromised by it's tabletop value. All large units with low point costs would be out of the question if they went with that logic. They could easily do it no doubt, they could let all the models revolve around a fixed price per point and let it skew their production, but it would put tremendous constraints on the artistic liberty of the designers if they did.

EmperorNorton
22-11-2011, 18:42
If you are happy to pay 50 euro for a ball of finecrap (ok, two balls) then greatm, good for you.
If I were mean I'd say that those willing to pay that insane price are in desperate need of two balls, so it all works out.
But I'm not, so I won't.

I for one am glad that GW aren't letting the budget for producing a model be compromised by it's tabletop value. All large units with low point costs would be out of the question if they went with that logic. They could easily do it no doubt, they could let all the models revolve around a fixed price per point and let it skew their production, but it would put tremendous constraints on the artistic liberty of the designers if they did.
I think in the long run people not buying their models because the designers do not care about the budget will limit their artistic liberty a lot more.

Rikk
22-11-2011, 18:56
I think I've spotted the main issue with this model as apposed to recent releases and why it doesn't seem to be as popular as most would have hoped, it's not down to the cost of the model to the cost of points, or that the squigs look like they're too comical......where's all the skulls?? 10 or so each tied to the squigs and we'd all be loving them :)

stashman
22-11-2011, 19:13
The best thing is that you don't have to buy the model!!! No matter how ugly you think it is, you don't have to buy it, and everybody here don't really wanna hear about it.

If you like it, buy it! I will get 2 and make 4.

Kaos
22-11-2011, 19:27
Good now i know the size of base and about what size i will sculpt my own Manglers. No way in my pants im going to throw out that ammount of cash on that.

Cheers-Kaos

Druchii Monkey
22-11-2011, 19:59

Had a chat with a GW dude about pricing shortly after release of Finecast. My particular issue was the Vampire Blood Knights costing as much as they did and no real reduction in price in the move from metal to Finecast.

The view i got back was that these were "Rare" choices and were likely to be one of the later things someone got for their army, and they would only buy one, and it would be a special purchase.

The Dark Elf Hydra fits into this category as does the Mangler Squig. The points cost is irrelevant. What would be stupid of GW would be to make a core choice that expensive or even the special choices but i think with "Rare" choices they can go a bit more to town and and having bought the DE Hydra in Finecast can say that i won't get another because it's pretty pricey but that the amazingness of the model in Finecast just blow me away.

My gut feel is the mangler squig will be absolutely amazing in the flesh. I might even get myself some Night Goblins just so i can field it but maybe one for the middle of next year when i've saved some cash. I'm just so chuffed they go crazy with these kind of cool models, but it does suck that they're going to price a load of people out.

Gunless Ganger
22-11-2011, 20:00
The best thing is that you don't have to buy the model!!! No matter how ugly you think it is, you don't have to buy it, and everybody here don't really wanna hear about it.

If you like it, buy it! I will get 2 and make 4.

It's a discussion forum, people want to discus and share their opinion on it both good and bad - and how to change it, mitigate the flaws etc. Besides ;) this is nothing compared to the threads about Necron fluff where everyone who liked the new book was labelled an illiterate 13 year old with ADD. At least here a fair # of people like at least some aspects of the model - or can understand why some people do like it! :)

Personally I think why a lot of people get frustrated/exasperated/annoyed with GW is just - wasted opportunity. Someone else mentioned a plastic kit that would have smaller squigs for hoppers/herds and also make 1 large Mangler squig. Think of all the opportunity there for conversions across fantasy and 40k ... You could have options for character mounts - conversions for 'counts-as' night goblin spiders, 40k conversion... so many possibilities.

Instead we get one very large, very impractical model, at an impractical price that they won't feel the need to revisit again for... 10 years or so.

It's a nice model... but what a wasted opportunity.

tanglethorn
22-11-2011, 20:41
You guys realize that you can get around the price by not buying directly from GW, right? I never pay full price for new kits. Most sites offer 15-25% and free shipping if you order a certain amount.

Voss
22-11-2011, 20:46
You guys realize that you can get around the price by not buying directly from GW, right? I never pay full price for new kits. Most sites offer 15-25% and free shipping if you order a certain amount.

That hasn't escaped anyone. But they are also aware that they would still be getting a discount on a lower price if the price was lower.

The view i got back was that these were "Rare" choices and were likely to be one of the later things someone got for their army, and they would only buy one, and it would be a special purchase.

This view is incorrect. Many people like getting their centerpiece models early, many buy more than one rare choice (many try to maximize rare choices in fact) and rare or not, its a normal purchase (quite often, in fact, the big rare choice will cost less than a regular unit, especially a special slot unit these days). So in some ways, the big rare monsters that eat up a lot of army points are a better investment than another unit. Yet that isn't the case for these mangler squigs, as they definitely don't have the price to points ratio common to most monsters.

Waagh Rider
22-11-2011, 20:47
My pain is - I'm not a good or enthusiastic scratch builder or converter, and I really wanted to buy Manglers, but I'm put off by the price! I want to buy the stuff GW puts out, I like their models much more than most other companies', but they make it impossible for me to support them with moves like this. We are in a recession, or haven't they noticed?

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 20:57
This view is incorrect. Many people like getting their centerpiece models early, many buy more than one rare choice (many try to maximize rare choices in fact) and rare or not, its a normal purchase (quite often, in fact, the big rare choice will cost less than a regular unit, especially a special slot unit these days). So in some ways, the big rare monsters that eat up a lot of army points are a better investment than another unit. Yet that isn't the case for these mangler squigs, as they definitely don't have the price to points ratio common to most monsters.

His point is that relative to the rest of the army, the character and rare purchases are considerably less than the core and special purchases. This makes them more flexible products when it comes to pricing. GW would consider it a success if O&G players just bought a mangler squig.

castlesmadeofsand
22-11-2011, 20:59
this

most people (myself included) play 2 Mangler Squigs. And there is no way I pay 100€ for the same model twice and with the chance of a Finecast problem.

this

Hm....not sure if I really like it. And the price is outrageous, to say the least. Hopefully you can separate the two Squigs easily. Than I'll simply buy one, and [snip] create two Manglers.

and this

sum up my thoughts.

...but i'll add that i think it looks ridiculous. why do they think they have to make it that big? hate the stacked design, which is clearly the only way to make it big and still on a sensible base size in game. disappointed.

Tokamak
22-11-2011, 21:02
Hey, take it on the bright side, it's a really psychological weapon now. Your opponents will grossly overestimate it's threat.

scarletsquig
22-11-2011, 21:03
I think in the long run people not buying their models because the designers do not care about the budget will limit their artistic liberty a lot more.

Not going to happen.

Manglers are the closest thing O&G have to an overpowered rare choice... sure, it's no dual a-bomb/hydra/stank or whatever but it's a solid no-brainer choice that you can unleash, and enjoy as it either draws a disproportionate amount of firepower/magic away from your main force, or gets the chance to go nuts and cause some carnage.

This model will definitely sell, since most O&G players will want 2.

Now, depending on budget, some of those players will either:

- Buy 2 mangler squigs
- Buy 1 mangler squigs and chop in half
- Convert their own using squig models

Those first 2 options result in sales, and I see no reason as to why anyone

The beastmen rares on the other hand... definite case for them not being such hot sellers since they are all at least 75 points more expensive than they should be.

Gunless Ganger
22-11-2011, 21:16
This model will definitely sell, since most O&G players will want 2.

I don't know about that. I've got some 3000 points of a pure Night Goblin army and I have no desire for this model - at all - and I actually kind of like it.

I think it's just too easy to convert. Some spare BFSP goblins and ... well... anything spherical = Mangler Squigs. :D

I will wad up a $20 bill on a 60mm base and use that as a Mangler squig before I buy this. :p Think of the benefits:

Way cheaper than the GW model
Will confuse/shock/awe/throw-off your opponent more than the GW model
Has a chance of surviving a round or two of shooting unlike the towering babel of fail that is the GW model
If it dies you pull it off and buy drinks
If it wins you get to say - "Mangler Squigs man - S%*t is so cash!"

Lord Inquisitor
22-11-2011, 21:44
Hey, take it on the bright side, it's a really psychological weapon now. Your opponents will grossly overestimate it's threat.

I'm not sure that's possible with Manglers. On a threat scale of 1 to 10 they rate about an 11. Easy to kill but their damage potential is horrendous.

Druchii Monkey
22-11-2011, 22:36
His point is that relative to the rest of the army, the character and rare purchases are considerably less than the core and special purchases. This makes them more flexible products when it comes to pricing. GW would consider it a success if O&G players just bought a mangler squig.

Yes, absolutely. Also it is where the more characterful/weirder unit choices can be, where the sculptors can go a little more to town, and maybe therefore their increased time spent needs to be covered in price.

Glenn87
22-11-2011, 22:49
actually, are the Mangler and the Beastmen rares the only releases, or are we also getting a new wave of Finecasts??
(I'm still waiting for a bunch of models so :D)

Druchii Monkey
22-11-2011, 22:50
My pain is - I'm not a good or enthusiastic scratch builder or converter, and I really wanted to buy Manglers, but I'm put off by the price! I want to buy the stuff GW puts out, I like their models much more than most other companies', but they make it impossible for me to support them with moves like this. We are in a recession, or haven't they noticed?

So just hold on a while. They are bound to bring out some squig hoppers or some other squig thing you can convert into a mangler.

That said i am watching their prices carefully as price rises this year in line with the ones last year could get a little ridiculous.

GW is crying out for some sort of loyalty scheme to give people discounts the more they buy - but their web site and the rest of their business is a bit behind in this respect. That would ease things.

Druchii Monkey
22-11-2011, 22:54
actually, are the Mangler and the Beastmen rares the only releases, or are we also getting a new wave of Finecasts??
(I'm still waiting for a bunch of models so :D)

They silently finecasted that old lizardman saurus old blood model last weekend, so i reckon we might see one or two more in December but have not heard anything specific.

O&G'sRule
22-11-2011, 23:57
I did hear a rumour that every army was getting something, but maybe just a rumour

Punk_in_Drublic
23-11-2011, 00:06
I did hear a rumour that every army was getting something, but maybe just a rumour

I'm taking that for my sig.

AlphariusOmegon20
23-11-2011, 02:14
Hey - when they make something good we're happy, when they turn out this we're not. No - spending £36 on models like this is not "the hobby we like", especially when there are cheaper alternatives (http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=roaring-mawe~hfm018&category=miniatures~aliens%2C-animals-%26-monsters) availible.

Christ, that thing is ugly. There's no way I'd pay $1 USD, much less $10 USD for something that godawful looking.

Lord Dan
23-11-2011, 02:21
Christ, that thing is ugly. There's no way I'd pay $1 USD, much less $10 USD for something that godawful looking.

Uhhh...what? I mean if you don't like it that's cool, but there's no way you find it so bad that you're repulsed by it.

This is irrelevant anyway- I'll say it again: THE MODEL IS OVERPRICED.

This is helping, actually.

MajorWesJanson
23-11-2011, 02:22
Sort of weird squig totem pole thing. Looks OK, but not something really usable in 40K. I would have rathered a squig unit, which would have made a nice unit filler for Orks.

Lorcryst
23-11-2011, 09:59
Sort of weird squig totem pole thing. Looks OK, but not something really usable in 40K. I would have rathered a squig unit, which would have made a nice unit filler for Orks.

You are aware this is a Fantasy release, yes ?

MajorWesJanson
23-11-2011, 10:07
You are aware this is a Fantasy release, yes ?

Yep, but much of the Orc stuff can cross over to 40K easily, especially for feral orks.

shelfunit.
23-11-2011, 10:08

I could easily say the same for the mangler squig...except substitute $50+ for the $10.

cluzoe
23-11-2011, 11:07
I'm disappointed

I was hopping that I could finish painting my ORCS and not convert mangler squig.

For me this model looks like Ghostbusters SLIMER in squig version

I think that GW also stolen prototype of this model:
http://www.bloodygoodhorror.com/bgh/files/slimer.jpg

Only one thing is good we will finally knew BASE size for our conversions

Gertjan
23-11-2011, 11:11

Well, ofcourse you could just buy a set of 5 hoppers for €25 and then get some small chain from somewhere, add a few 60mm bases that you can easily make yourself, add a bit of your own creativity and presto, you have two mangler squigs for almost half the price of one. It's what I used as proxy up untill the real model would come out, but to be honest, they will remain in service just a little bit longer (untill there's a new, non finecast, non ugly option or untill I stop fielding them altogether).

It's just one hideously ugly model (note, this is my opinion, not a stated fact:D), not as if there haven't been any ugly models, just convert your own and ignore this one. Also allows you to ignore the price, which at the least for my wallet, is rather convenient.

The bearded one
23-11-2011, 13:02
(untill there's a new, non finecast, non ugly option or untill I stop fielding them altogether).

You'll be waiting for a long, long, looooong time. After just releasing a relatively niche unit option (though everybody uses it) in their brandnew material, it's pretty unlikely they'll sculpt a new one in a different material in the next... 5? 10? years.

Gertjan
23-11-2011, 13:21
You'll be waiting for a long, long, looooong time. After just releasing a relatively niche unit option (though everybody uses it) in their brandnew material, it's pretty unlikely they'll sculpt a new one in a different material in the next... 5? 10? years.

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that and it saddens me. I had hoped they would make a multi purpose plastic kit with some options for manglers/hopper/herd or whatever. Maybe they will see the light and do that after all but I do believe you're right. Good thing about that is, it doesn't add another few units to the whole heap of models I still need to finish painting so it's kind of a blessing in disguise really :D

Urgat
23-11-2011, 15:59

10 years? You're quite optimistic :p

Yep, but much of the Orc stuff can cross over to 40K easily, especially for feral orks.

It doesn't translate quite as well when it's night goblins... so I'll kindda echo Lorcryst with a "huh?" :p

Meraklis
23-11-2011, 16:56
Price confirmed at $57.75

:confused::confused::confused:
:cries::cries::cries::cries:
:wtf::wtf::wtf:

RainSong
23-11-2011, 21:17
Would like to see it in the flesh.
Might get one and chop it in half.
I actually prefer the top squig to the bottom one.

boogle
23-11-2011, 21:32
Mangler Squig looks pretty cool TBH even if Orcs aren't my army

Urgat
23-11-2011, 21:55
An idea for those who worry their mangler conversions aren't "high" enough and might be accused of trying to cheat: add a goblin or two flung high at the end of a chain, that should be enough?

Spiney Norman
23-11-2011, 22:08

The thing is, even with 25% off this thing would be radically overpriced. Its worth maybe £20 if I'm feeling generous and have lots of money left over after Christmas, at £36 I'm not even considering it. If you find a retailer offering a 45% discount let me know.

I'm sorry but I draw the line at allowing myself to get knowingly ripped off by that much for a single model.

Actually its more about survivability than pts cost, although granted more survivable units tend to cost more pts. Manglers are going to die the first time they get shot at and at that size those things are never going to be able to claim a cover bonus (and the random movement makes them impractical to troll-screen), at least my arachnarok usually makes T3 and gets into combat. I'd be gutted if I spent that much on a model, painted it well and only ever got to used it until my opponent's first shoot phase.

Plus conversion is too easy, as I said before I can make a much better looking mangler by purchasing skarsnik/gobbla and a GCS warboss, save money (because combined they are less than the manger) and get a great looking separate Night Goblin warboss (Skarsnik) into the bargain. And best of all... I don't have to work with Finecast resin or return my models 6 time. Sounds like a very good deal to me.

The Clairvoyant
24-11-2011, 08:11
Actually its more about survivability than pts cost, although granted more survivable units tend to cost more pts. Manglers are going to die the first time they get shot at and at that size those things are never going to be able to claim a cover bonus

I thought Manglers always counted as being in soft cover, or am i thinking of fanatics? Or just completely wrong? :D

chilledenuff
24-11-2011, 10:29
I like it. Reminds me of the 80s squigs. I shall buy one... if i'm really lucky it'll have an iffy miscast and I can email GW to send me a new one. If I'm really lucky GW customer care will say don't worry about sending back the miscast one & I can greenstuff it's bad cast giving me 2 for 1!

Spiney Norman
24-11-2011, 11:06
I thought Manglers always counted as being in soft cover, or am i thinking of fanatics? Or just completely wrong? :D

Ummm, not sure on that one as I don't have my book handy to check, but I don't remember it. Having said that I've never used manglers and my use of fanatics is not exactly prolific, and in any case, does anyone really pay attention wheat happens to your fanatics after their initial launch?

Rosstifer
24-11-2011, 11:11
As a Warriors player, I can safely say Manglers devastate my army if I can't manoeuvre Warhounds to stand on them, which isn't as easy as it sounds, as canny players shoot my chaff. For 65 points the damage output is beyond grotesque, and you're not even safe from the damn thing when your units are in combat. 65pts is an utter bargain, even against shooty armies, it has 3 wounds, and requires attention massively disproportionate to it's point cost in nearly every game. All competitive Orc and Goblin armies should run 2.

Urgat
24-11-2011, 11:16
I don't know, I only used them against WoC up until now, and it seems whatever I do, I can never prevent that spell that zaps them in one go. Quite annoying :p

Dæmon
24-11-2011, 11:32

Really, you didn't assume the very least that we factored discount in as well?
is there a facepalm emote here? :wtf:

Althwen
24-11-2011, 11:34
OUr Gaming group's Orc player just recently became active again and since then he's all distilled the great green flailing fear into us with those Mangler squigs of his.
Ofcourse now we know to targetprioritise them, but they've cost us the game several times. I can hardly think of an army that will shrug off 2d6/3d6 str 6 hits as if it's nothing. (Maybe skaven)

Unlike their model, they're awesome :D

Lord Dan
24-11-2011, 13:30
The thing is, even with 25% off this thing would be radically overpriced. Its worth maybe £20 if I'm feeling generous and have lots of money left over after Christmas, at £36 I'm not even considering it. If you find a retailer offering a 45% discount let me know.
Interestingly even at 50% off it's still only priced at what it should have been priced in the first place. It's like GW came up with some arbitrary number to see if we'd pay for it. I'd love to have been in that meeting...

"Gentlemen, thanks for coming. I see Todd brought doughnuts today- thanks Todd... let's see, I guess I'd like to get right to it, then. How did sales of our elites go at the new test price of $41 go? Dave?"
"Uhh...yes, let me check here. Ah, yeah, it looks like sales stayed consistent."
"Alright, let's bring the prices back down to- wait, what?"
"Yeah. I just double checked. Prices stayed the same."
"Really? Well that's interesting... let's keep prices the same for 6 more months until people forget that they used to be half that price, and then let's bump them to $45 due to...uhh...let me think...cost of materials?"
"Already used that one twice this year, sir."
"Ah yes, hmm... oh, who cares, they'll pay. We'll reevaluate in March. Chris, can you make a note in our agenda for March? Yeah, excellent. Alright, well on that lovely note let's discuss pricing for this new Mangler Squig thing. Chris, can you put up the powerpoint? Thanks."
"..."
"Oh, god, it's terrible."
"Yeah, that's pretty awful."
"Now, now, it's not all bad. If we price it something reasonable we might be able to break even. Let's do some number crunching at $30."
"...hmm, hang on. Okay, I've got it. Yeah, even with decreased sales due to the recession and the ungodly sculpt we'd still come out making money. Good idea. Actually given that the model is finecast and the cost of materials is so low we can probably lower the pri-"
"Wait, did you say this model is finecast?"
"Yeah."
"Triple the price."
"I'm sorry, what?"
"Triple the price."
"..."
"Alright."
"Dave, how do the numbers look now?"
"Sir, at those prices we should expect significantly lower sales and an almost nonexistent income due to impulse buying. Actually it looks like we end up making way less taking that route. Yeah, 38% down."
"Hmm...well, let's assume sales stay the same."
"...uh, but they won't."
"Right, let's assume they will."
"...okay, then let's see. Yeah, we'll make 700% more. I should mention that these numbers don't refle-"
"700%? We'd be idiots to pass up that opportunity! Great work everyone, let's call it a day."

if i'm really lucky it'll have an iffy miscast and I can email GW to send me a new one. If I'm really lucky GW customer care will say don't worry about sending back the miscast one & I can greenstuff it's bad cast giving me 2 for 1!
That's the spirit!

Warsmith Tharak
24-11-2011, 14:00
... And I who were just thinking about my christmas present for my cusin.

I like the model, and as a gift it kick ass. Around 45£ for 65 pts always is a downer to buy, but great to get for "free".

El Antiguo Guardián
24-11-2011, 14:01
Available on Maelstrom :)

Warsmith Tharak
24-11-2011, 14:06
Last time my cusin bought my birthday present from maelstrom I got it for easter. My birthday is november 26, and easter was in june...

I gladly pay 50% more in a GW shop than wait half a year to get what I buy.

chilledenuff
24-11-2011, 14:11
'fraid I'm going to have to agree. I'll never preorder from Maelstrom again

Aflo
24-11-2011, 14:13
That one kit would make for an awesome pair of converted blood bowl trolls...

EDIT: I tend to stick away from text speak but: LOL just saw the price. I'll pass this time thanks Gee-Dub.

First it was goldswords that stopped me buying a whole new army, general price hikes and loss of interest that made me quit fantasy and now this which has landed their potential cash yet again into the pocket of a competitor.

DaemonReign
24-11-2011, 14:45
It's funny.. But I'm coming around to like this Mangler thingy more and more as it all sinks in.

Thing is, the model is just ridiculous.. Putting them ontop of each-other like in the official set-up just doesn't cut it for me. And there's no way around the fact I would have expected them to be.. smaller.

Still, let's say you buy a pack of these at 50 euros, and make 'two' models.. Then the actual cost per model is 25 euros. No longer completely insane.

We have alot of "normal" squigs floating around in our group.. Take one of those and chain to the big one and you even got the fluff-description somehow represented on the gaming-table.

Just trying to look at the bright side over here.. I wish I could say "we're not gonna get this to teach GW a lesson about setting ridiculous prices", but the sad truth we just want a set of Manglers so bad we'll take it..

ihavetoomuchminis
24-11-2011, 15:11
Interestingly even at 50% off it's still only priced at what it should have been priced in the first place. It's like GW came up with some arbitrary number to see if we'd pay for it. I'd love to have been in that meeting...

"Gentlemen, thanks for coming. I see Todd brought doughnuts today- thanks Todd... let's see, I guess I'd like to get right to it, then. How did sales of our elites go at the new test price of $41 go? Dave?"
"Uhh...yes, let me check here. Ah, yeah, it looks like sales stayed consistent."
"Really? Well that's interesting... let's keep prices the same for 6 more months until people forget that they used to be half that price, and then let's bump them to $45 due to...uhh...let me think...cost of materials?"
"Ah yes, hmm... oh, who cares, they'll pay. We'll reevaluate in March. Chris, can you make a note in our agenda for March? Yeah, excellent. Alright, well on that lovely note let's discuss pricing for this new Mangler Squig thing. Chris, can you put up the powerpoint? Thanks."
"..."
"Now, now, it's not all bad. If we price it something reasonable we might be able to break even. Let's do some number crunching at $30."
"...hmm, hang on. Okay, I've got it. Yeah, even with decreased sales due to the recession and the ungodly sculpt we'd still come out making money. Good idea. Actually given that the model is finecast and the cost of materials is so low we can probably lower the pri-"
"Yeah."
"Triple the price."
"I'm sorry, what?"
"Triple the price."
"..."
"Alright."
"Sir, at those prices we should expect significantly lower sales and an almost nonexistent income due to impulse buying. Actually it looks like we end up making way less taking that route. Yeah, 38% down."
"...uh, but they won't."
"...okay, then let's see. Yeah, we'll make 700% more. I should mention that these numbers don't refle-"
"700%? We'd be idiots to pass up that opportunity! Great work everyone, let's call it a day."

That's the spirit!

You forgot to point that both Todd and Dave were fired. THe first for bringing non-GW donuts to the meeting, and the second for being so unenthusiastic.

Not a joke. That's how GW actually works. Lord Dan has nailed it.

Liber
24-11-2011, 19:50
I really don't get the hate being directed at this model.

Its 2 big ass squigs falling all over each other whilst helpless goblins hang on/are crushed.

I would bet my left arm that the people that are hating on this model would have hated on it no matter how it had turned out, as the idea of a 'mangler squig' could in no way have been executed better than this...i mean its a strange as hell concept, difficult in the extreme i'm sure to make a static sculpt of something so chaotic and moving.

I love both the squig faces - and the bottom one that some people dislike looks JUST like the old Citadel Paints symbol...you know the one, the big red face that was on cans of primer and stuff.

The price is too much, that i get, but complaining about the sculpt? Madness.

And there is a gobbo trapped in the top ones mouth...c'mon people, lighten up.

EDIT: and yes, mangler squigs always count as being in soft cover, so all this talk about vulnerability too shooting is overblown.

ihavetoomuchminis
24-11-2011, 22:09
Maybe they saw the model and thought "oh, it's clear people is going to make 2 mangler squigs from one. We better charge them the price of 2 mangler squigs, and if we are fortunate enough to find somebody dumb enough to pay that price and just make 1....better for us. WE'RE GENIUS!!".

Belakor
25-11-2011, 07:01
I can haz ur spare time?

Really I am envious of the repeating posts and free time.

I will get one of these babies for for my 40k Orks.

Jarakin
25-11-2011, 09:43
They're definitely overpriced as a single unit, but thet do have wonderful conversion possibilities guys, converting it into two manglers could be really easily done, and for those that say "But a Mangler is 2 squigs!", yes, you're right. So why not convert it so that a smaller squig is chained to the huge one, as if it's using it as a ball and chain? 2 units, £15 each plus conversion bits if you buy from totalwargamer when released. Not too bad?

Urgat
25-11-2011, 10:13
It's funny.. But I'm coming around to like this Mangler thingy more and more as it all sinks in.

Opposite for me. I was watching a pic of my herder squigs earlier (this one (http://www.cobraworld.net/nico/warhammer/orcsandgobs/4moresquigs.jpg)), and I was thinking how awesome those manglers would have been if they looked like bigger versions of the two in the middle, with the left one of the pair having its mouth wide open to gulp some poor sod.

It's called "tastes"

I would bet my left arm that the people that are hating on this model would have hated on it no matter how it had turned out, as the idea of a 'mangler squig' could in no way have been executed better than this...i mean its a strange as hell concept, difficult in the extreme i'm sure to make a static sculpt of something so chaotic and moving.
You'd lose that arm, I've seen excellent mangler conversions on the net that are way better in the concept. I'm not saying the sculpting is bad, it's GW, the skill is there, no prob. But the squigs themselves look wrong (IMO. you know, that "taste" thing). Half the current herder/hopper squigs look great to me (the others I dislike because they look like nyds because of scales and long tails, like the one on the right in my pic), so it was certainly possible to make a model "I wouldn't have hated".

and for those that say "But a Mangler is 2 squigs!", yes, you're right.

Well... They're supposed to be two great cave squigs, and those are twice as big as the one the big boss rides, or gobbla... I wouldn't care if someone faced me with two made of one kit, that model does look like it should deserve 4D6 attacks and 6 wounds or whatever, it's monstrously big.

Lorcryst
25-11-2011, 10:24
I just recieved my December White Dwarf, and there's a picture at the start of the batlle report with a mangler squig alongside the warboss model on wyvern ... the squigs tower above that wyvern, something like 150% of the height of the wyvern ...

So, it's truely massive ... might be a problem for the TLOS nay-sayers, but the more I see it the more I love it ... I'll definitively buy at least one.

Avian
25-11-2011, 10:39
So it's 50% bigger than the T5 W6 Large target, while being T4 W3 and a normal-sized target. That's just daft.

Morkash
25-11-2011, 11:04
Therefore the Mangler Squigs should tower above the Arachnarok as well.

Would be T4 3W No save against T6 8W and 4+ AS, then. Chance of survival are slim. :D

Spiney Norman
25-11-2011, 11:21

"..."
"Yeah."
"Triple the price."
"I'm sorry, what?"
"Triple the price."
"..."
"Alright."
"...uh, but they won't."

That's the spirit!

Sounds about right, we saw this kind of outrage when the plastic greatswords came out with a super inflated price, but that has almost become considered normal, this is just the next jump up. In a years time when they've released a few more kits in the same price range most GW customers wont think it out of the ordinary that we will be paying Forgeworld level prices for an inferior product.

Its 2 big ass squigs falling all over each other whilst helpless goblins hang on/are crushed.

I love both the squig faces - and the bottom one that some people dislike looks JUST like the old Citadel Paints symbol...you know the one, the big red face that was on cans of primer and stuff.

The price is too much, that i get, but complaining about the sculpt? Madness.

And there is a gobbo trapped in the top ones mouth...c'mon people, lighten up.

EDIT: and yes, mangler squigs always count as being in soft cover, so all this talk about vulnerability too shooting is overblown.

Oh, I had forgotten that soft cover makes one invulnerable to shooting and magic... With the destructive potential these things can unleash coupled with their low toughness and few wounds anyone who lets them last beyond the end of the first turn is a fool, or is playing with dice weighted against them.

In any case I don't "hate" the model, its not great, but neither is it awful. I don't particularly like the fact that they have gone for the gritty chaoticy 40K style of squig, rather than the more cartoony, crazy look that all the other Fantasy squigs have, but as models go its pretty average in appearance. The fact is they're charging at least double what its worth. What I do hate is the material its made from and the price that has seemingly been derived from that. They're trying to cement the idea that Finecast is somehow more expensive to produce models in than plastic and metal, when the plain fact of the matter is it isn't, and the difference in weight compared to metal will drastically reduce their transport costs, meaning they're charging us more for something that costs them less.

Vazalaar
25-11-2011, 11:23
So it's 50% bigger than the T5 W6 Large target, while being T4 W3 and a normal-sized target. That's just daft.

I agree. It doesn't make any sense to make the Mangler squigs so big. They should have made it much smaller and added a sensible price to it.

the_slosh
25-11-2011, 12:09
I think the complaints could have shifted the other way around though if they made it too small, would have just been two squigs glued on top of each other.

I think the movement in the sculpt is great, looks very dynamic to me, but the squigs just don't tickle my fancy as I would have hoped, think they look to much like some kind of chaos spawn (pinch of salt please) + I also feel they are much to big if the sculpt towers over the spider and wyvern (explains the price though).

Long story short: Not cute enough :p

librerian_samae
25-11-2011, 17:14
Just got my copy of white dwarf, as a bigger picture the squig mangler(s) look awesome.
So much character and movement plus the squig faces and poor little gobbos are superbly silly.

If I collected gobbos I would get the set in a heart beat...
...then split it in half for two manglers.

azhagmorglum
25-11-2011, 19:01
It's called "tastes"

Speaking of tastes, I like your new avatar Urgat ^^

ModelCalamity
26-11-2011, 04:22

Please don't see this as a personal attack. But where do you base your numbers on? How any is many? Is many you and 5 other mates in a closed group that likely influences your buying/gaming behaviour? did you do a sales analyses of a representative sample of people?

I can confirm that the post you replied to is hitting the nail on the head. I think that the price for collectors and painters is correct. The model IS that Big.
For gamers the price compared to points is very high. For me involved with all facets of the hobby I am fine with it. Next edition the rules might change again so I don't really care about that. I would rather have a huge crazy model like this than a smaller one.