PDA

View Full Version : Tshft 11/19/11

Mr.selfdestruct
21-11-2011, 20:19
This weekend was the Seattle Heart of Fire Tournament (in Seattle) and I just wanted to say what an awesome gaming experience it was. 2 days of fun, friendly games with great opponents, gorgeous armies, and fantastic organizers. Our community has only one gaming store and NO tournament scene, so we are forced to drive 2 hours to get any diversity in our opponents. There's always the fear that we will get there, pay our entry, and then have to sit through 2 days of rampant power mongering which will sweep our country bumpkin lists off the table. I have to say though that even with 3 losses, 1 draw, and 1 win I still had one of the best 40k weekends in recent memory. I wanted to share some pics as well- I can only do 10 at a time, so I will be multi posting, sorry in advance!

Mr.selfdestruct
21-11-2011, 20:26
And some more...

Mr.selfdestruct
21-11-2011, 20:30
Ok, last ones! More great armies, a battle in progress between to amazing Imperial Guard armies (one traitor), and finally MY Guardsman Marbo doing what he does best. If you have a chance to attend any future TSHFT's, DO IT!

totgeboren
21-11-2011, 20:40
Looks like you had some nice armies, and a great time!
I really like the IG vs Traitor IG pic, it really looks like a proper 40k battle! :D

Mr.selfdestruct
21-11-2011, 21:00
That battle was fantastic to watch- it was game 5 and the tourney organizers let them play over the 2 1/2 hour time limit because they were only on turn 3 and were both having an great time. It was that kind of appreciation for the spirit of the game that really impressed me.

Panther Al
21-11-2011, 21:53
When I first saw one of the pics and saw two vendetta's I went, "ah... vendetta spam...". Then I saw the Pith helmets.

Thats just *bleeping* cool.

Pith Helmets for the Win!

Been ages since I have seen any of those figs hit the table - they was my first army lo back in 2e.

dangerboyjim
21-11-2011, 22:13
When I first saw one of the pics and saw two vendetta's I went, "ah... vendetta spam...". Then I saw the Pith helmets.

Thats just *bleeping* cool.

Pith Helmets for the Win!

Been ages since I have seen any of those figs hit the table - they was my first army lo back in 2e.

Hell yes!

Some nicely painted armies, very inspiring.

MALICIOUS LOGIC
23-11-2011, 05:36
TSHFT is one of the best run tournaments I've seen out there. It does a number of things very well. But I'd say the top 2 are:

1) It rewards good players (and not just good armies). There are Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary goals in every mission. The Primary and Secondary are not related. This results in forcing a player to make hard tactical decisions to get points. And getting max points can be very hard. As opposed to most tournaments were the Primary and Secondary are essentially the same thing, for example a KP mission that gives extra points for killing an HQ. (That's not a true secondary and it doesn't reward tactical thinking... That would only reward a one-dimential mindset).

2) The Sportsmanship score is done right! "Did you have fun, yes or no". It's generally expected that you get full sportsmanship because everyone is expected to be a mature player that's there to play some competitive games and have fun. But if you're truly a bad sport then the negative marks become exponential.
Sportsmanship Points = 50
1 Bad Game = no change
2 Bad Games = -5pts
3 Bad Games = -10pts
4 Bad Games = -20pts
5 Bad Games = -40pts

As a side note, this was the first TSHFT were not a single person got a negative check on their Sportsmanship. And I didn't hear the word "cheesy" all weekend. In fact, I didn't hear a single person complain about over-powered lists. (And there were some strong list at the event).

Sophet Drahas
23-11-2011, 06:55
Where did they hold this event. Kicking myself for not finding out about it as I live in Seattle.

Mr.selfdestruct
23-11-2011, 16:31
It was at the Hilton in Bothell. Here's the website if you want to stay aware of their tourney schedule www.bloghammer.net
The next one is in March I believe

Sophet Drahas
23-11-2011, 20:04
I almost expected you to tell me many Bothans died to bring us that information.

But seriously, Bothell? I'm guessing the rates were attractive. Seems like an odd locale for it. Would have figured Redmond, Bellevue, Seattle proper, or even FedWay.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

MALICIOUS LOGIC
24-11-2011, 01:26
I almost expected you to tell me many Bothans died to bring us that information.

But seriously, Bothell? I'm guessing the rates were attractive. Seems like an odd locale for it. Would have figured Redmond, Bellevue, Seattle proper, or even FedWay.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

The locale was immediately off I-405 exit 26. Which is a few exits from the I-5 intersection. It was a lot easier to get to than the previous place in Seattle.

Sophet Drahas
24-11-2011, 18:05
Anyplace in Seattle is pretty much a pain to get to. But it's a well known area with plenty to do besides the con. Although I felt the same about Adepticon and Rosemont is a pretty convenient locale; although besides the convention center and airport theres nothing out there.