PDA

View Full Version : 10 Dreadnought Idea

Mr.selfdestruct
21-11-2011, 21:06
My apologies if this is in the wrong area-
I have an idea to make an army using the Blood Angel codex that will include the following:
Captain
1 Librarian Dreadnought
2 Furioso Dreadnoughts with Frag cannons
4 Death Company Dreadnoughts
20 Death Company Marines on foot
5 Sniper scouts
3 Dreadnoughts with a mix of ranged anti-tank

Silly? Probably. Tactically unsound? Likely. Fun? I think so!

Here's the hook- the reason for the dreadnought spam is not for their awesomeness, but in relation to the story of Ghattana Bay during the 3rd war for Armageddon. During the battle for Gate IX, 17 dreads from multiple chapters fought and defeated a massive Ork Kan army.
I will paint each dread up as a different chapter along with 2 marines from each. They will be tied together visually using themed bases and excessive battle damage. The death company will represent the last rag-tag survivors of the defenders, and the valiant stand of the Dreadnought force. Im thinking that I want to stay away from major chapters, so I would be painting up the Celebrants, Mortifactors, Storm Lords, Storm Giants, Omega Marines, Marines Malevolent, Sons of Guilliman, Angels Porphyr, Exorcists, and Celestial Lions. The scouts will be Black Dragons, Angels of Fire, Silver Skulls, Iron Champions, and Angels of Vigilance.

I think this will be fun, if difficult to win with. I just wanted to throw it out there and see what everyone thought of the idea- Terrific, terrible, exploit, exercise in futility, what have you. I would prefer to use the Vanilla marine codex, but I feel that 10 dreads captures the spirit of the background better than 6.
I will post the white dwarf article as soon as i can find it :)

Mini77
21-11-2011, 21:35
I've actually played a few games with a very similar list and you're right it's a bit silly and almost impossible to win objective games but it is a ton of fun.

The Lion's Shade
21-11-2011, 22:27
That list just sounds crazy ( in a good way) have you played with them yet.

TimLeeson
21-11-2011, 22:53
sounds fun to me. But what makes it cool in my eyes is the showcase of all those more rarer/lesser seen chapters :)

Mr.selfdestruct
22-11-2011, 04:08
I haven't played with the list yet, I'm planning to do a few proxy games with friends dreads before I drop a couple hundred bucks on dreads =)
I know that i will be almost impossible to win objectives, but agreed, it's more about telling the story

Mr.selfdestruct
22-11-2011, 04:13
Also, here are those pics and story i promised

Pooky
22-11-2011, 05:53
At first I thought "Oh, here we go, Dread spam". But after I read your discussion, I say GO FOR IT! :D

New Cult King
22-11-2011, 06:02
I think it would look scary on the table, but I'm glad I'm not paying cash for those models :p

OldManRivers
22-11-2011, 09:08
Sounds like a fun army!

Limenix
22-11-2011, 13:00
There is battle report on Youtube , where a dude with a somewhat similar dreadnaught list fights Vs Imperial guard .... he actually manages to win too ..xexexe ... FUN!!!

niceguyteddy
22-11-2011, 14:53
What WD was that from?

prowla
22-11-2011, 17:36
Just what we needed.. a Venerable Dread high-fiving an Ork Dread.

The silly thing being, according to C:Orks, you can only field total of 9 Kanz and one Dread. You can actually field the same amount of walkers within C:BA, lol.

Mr.selfdestruct
22-11-2011, 19:04
Quick update: Thanks to the magic of Ebay, I am half way to my goal of 10 Dreads and I have only spent about $60. The 21 Marines will be donated from one of my other armies in progress, so financially Im in pretty good shape on this one! I think the majority of the dreads will be HEAVILY converted Black Reach models. So that being said...I know all the new dread kits come with lots of extra bits- if anyone has any spare parts they'd donate I'd be mighty grateful. I'd ask my local gaming club, but we don't have one :(

sindrix
25-11-2011, 19:42
like others have said the army is not that practical. i'm glad to see the idea of a fluff army. i played a guy with 8 dreads and multiple land raiders at ard boys this year. i had a couple of units of warp spiders that would toast 1 per turn each, that couppled with some well place bright lances and all he had left was a small amoulnt of infantry

fidesratioque
25-11-2011, 20:23
That sounds awesome! You should agree with your opponent to not play objective games though, as it would be unfair to you.

Mr.selfdestruct
20-03-2012, 20:26
Ok, it's on like donkey kong. I decided to go ahead with this army. In that spirit, I ordered a Contemptor dread off of Forge-world to be my Librarian Dread, bringing me up to 5 dreads. I have assembled the marines and 4 dreads, so I figure once I get the Contemptor assembled I will start a modeling thread here and on B&C.

Oppressor
20-03-2012, 22:41
Just what we needed.. a Venerable Dread high-fiving an Ork Dread.

The silly thing being, according to C:Orks, you can only field total of 9 Kanz and one Dread. You can actually field the same amount of walkers within C:BA, lol.Blood Angels can legally field 11 dreads if they want to :D.

OP that sounds awesome and should be a ton of fun!

Chem-Dog
20-03-2012, 22:53
At the risk of bringing gameplay into a thread about an army of undeniable coolness, why in the God-Emperor's glorious realm would you take Frag Cannons? Am I the only one who thinks they suck out loud? Everything about them, their name, their look and their "utility" in the game screams MEDIOCRE at best.

Might be groovy and thematic to include a Tech Marine Model in there somewhere, perhaps as the Captain, I can't imagine all those Chapters happily sending their revered Relic-warriors to battle without at least one spannerman on call.

But its all sounds cool, I look forward to seeing some pictures of this army, sounds like an Armies on Parade effort to me. :)

GrogDaTyrant
20-03-2012, 23:01
The silly thing being, according to C:Orks, you can only field total of 9 Kanz and one Dread. You can actually field the same amount of walkers within C:BA, lol.

11. 9 Kanz, 2 Big Meks for HQs, and each Big Mek allows you to take one Deff Dread as a Troop option.

If you use Imperial Armor 8 (which is a god-send for balancing out the Orks), you have access to the Dread-Mob list. The grand total of walkers fielded in that, is somewhere around 35 or so. 5 Kanz per Fast Attack, 1 Mega dreads per Heavy Support, 2 Mega Dreads from HQ, Dread-squadrons as troops consisting of 1 to 3 and (irrc) a max of 5 such squads in the army. That all said, a list spamming them isn't likely to be very good. Although squadrons of Grotzooka Kanz do give Thunderfire Cannons impotence issues...

Hypaspist
21-03-2012, 09:05
Au Contraire GrogDaTyrant, the Imperial Armour book 8 Dreadmob army is highly effective, interestingly though, it's absolute nemesis is a cool Space Marine dread army and or a Tyranid creature Monster mash (as virtually every model in the opposing army goes first and/or gets 2d6 pen)
It's also highly allergic to Ironclads.

I tend to take
HQ Meka Dread
Troop 10 x Spanna Boyz (because I have to)
Troop Dread
Troop Dread
Troop Dread
Troop Dread
Fast 5 x Kans
Fast 5 x Kans
Fast 5 x Kans
Heavy 1 x Mega Dread
Heavy 1 x Mega Dread

thats a 1750 list and has a very good record (though the reason I play it is because it's scratchbuilt and fun as hell)

Mr. Selfdestruct.

Do this army and have tons of fun with it.

your weaknesses will be your relatively low numbers of Walkers and lack of objective claiming ability.
counteract this by being aggressive and attempting to table your opponent. It's the only way!

:) (and good luck!)

Brother of the Hydra
21-03-2012, 13:31
You could go with the idea of that 'Ghattana Bay' but use the Blood Angels and their successor Chapters as doing the same thing. According to the GW timeline they all have been called to Baal to defend it from Daemons so who is to say the same sort of thing could not happen. After all your using the codex so why not go with the flow, and personally I would slip in a Blood Angel Contemptor :-)

Badruk
21-03-2012, 13:43
Here what I will make, that is the Basic list and you plays with upgrade depends the number of point you are playing :)

Only thing is Reclusiarch is all by itself but will be fun!

130 Reclusiarch
175 Lib Dread
125 Furioso
125 Furioso
125 DC Dread
125 DC Dread
200 DC x10
105 Reg Dread
105 Reg Dread
105 Reg Dread
9x Drop Pod

Total of 1635

Have fun tweeking the list :)

Mr.selfdestruct
21-03-2012, 18:56
Thanks for the feedback everyone-
First, Chem-Dog: I agree that Frag Cannons are an... "interesting" choice. I suppose the biggest reason for taking them is that one worry I have is Scarab Swarms and other tarpit units. With the Frag Cannons and Heavy Flamers on the Furiosos I will feel a bit better about dealing with large groups of weak units. As far as the name...at least they aren't "Blood Cannons", to go along with all the Blood lances, blood fists (ew), and Blood Talons.
Second, Brother of the Hydra- I considered that as well, since I am generally not a fan of codex surfing. However the image I have in my head for the colors all across the army is really the driving force behind this one.
Third, I have no doubt that I won't win against most competitive lists. I have a nasty habit of ignoring conventional list building wisdom and making lists that are more driven by my love of the game than my love of winning. At a recent tournament I came in 41st out of 52 players, but took the sportsmanship award for "Favorite Opponent". I'd rather have my opponent look across the board and say "Oh wow!" than "Oh, crap".
One question for everyone though- what's my biggest weak point? Obviously I can't capture more than one objective, but what do I have to fear the most? Necron with their gauss glancers and Scarabs, Tyranids with their Monstrous Creatures, or Marines with Hammernators and Multimeltas? Ordinance? Meltavets?
I have updated my list to take a librarian as HQ, who will be taking Shield of Sanguineus along with the Libby Dread to bubble up my army as I plod across the board, hopefully helping me survive some down range shooting.

Chem-Dog
21-03-2012, 19:22
Thanks for the feedback everyone-
First, Chem-Dog: I agree that Frag Cannons are an... "interesting" choice. I suppose the biggest reason for taking them is that one worry I have is Scarab Swarms and other tarpit units. With the Frag Cannons and Heavy Flamers on the Furiosos I will feel a bit better about dealing with large groups of weak units. As far as the name...at least they aren't "Blood Cannons", to go along with all the Blood lances, blood fists (ew), and Blood Talons.

HERESY! You will recite the Litanies of Blood until you see the error of your ways! :D

GrogDaTyrant
21-03-2012, 19:25
Au Contraire GrogDaTyrant, the Imperial Armour book 8 Dreadmob army is highly effective, interestingly though, it's absolute nemesis is the Space Marine dread army and or a Tyranid creature Monster mash (as virtually every model in the opposing army goes first and/or gets 2d6 pen)

"Nemesis Armies" such as that are, IMHO, not something I consider to be 'highly effective'. And from my personal experience, they aren't much fun for me to personally play with, either. Victories always seem like I just caught them flat-footed, while many of the defeats were completely unavoidable due to terrible list/codex match-up. In my case, it was the warbike-theme list. Utterly stomping the crap out of my buddy's IG mech army felt just as terrible and bad as watching another friend table my entire force with his long-fang/dread spam list. The truly enjoyable games that struck between those two extremes, were few and far between.

Regardless, I personally don't think going balls-out with walkers in the Dread Mob is really all that effective. Too many army/list match-ups counter it without any effort, while those it completely smashes to bitz would seem like hollow victories that were won without any skill involved. I've looked at the Dread Mob, and IA8, at great length. And just because you *CAN* take 30 something walkers, doesn't mean you necessarily should. The entire reason the Dread-Bash setup in the codex works well enough, is because maxing out at 11 walkers only sets you back roughly 700 pts.

Hypaspist
23-03-2012, 00:05
And just because you *CAN* take 30 something walkers, doesn't mean you necessarily should.

... This is *precisely* when you should take all walkers! ;)

All joking aside, you should play an army list the way you want. The huge weakness of an army list like the op is suggesting, or the dread mob list, is the scoring potential, but just because an army has a weakness on paper, doesn't mean this gets exploited in every game (weak scoring, good in kill points) Everyone's mileage varies, but for those people who I've played they've all played it in the spirit in which it was intended and made a point of trying to smash it to bits... The fact that I *can* take that many walkers, means I have fun ( as hopefully the op will!) I still stand by my experience though, which says in the many games I have played, I do well (not tournament play as much, because outside of campaign tournaments, it tends not to be allowed)
:)

Kevlar
23-03-2012, 00:10
I think it would look scary on the table, but I'm glad I'm not paying cash for those models :p

Well if you stick to $10 AOBR ebay dreads it will be a very cost effective army.

Mr.selfdestruct
24-03-2012, 05:17
Quick update, I have written the final 2000 point list, and changed a couple things. Instead of a Captain Im taking a Librarian with Shield of Sanguineus and Unleash Rage. He will join the 20 Death Company, who now have 4 power weapon/bolt pistol models and 16 bolters. This equals (best case scenario of course) 48 unpowered I5 S5 attacks and 16 I5 S5 powered attacks with preferred enemy on the charge. The Libby Dread has Shield as well, and Blood Lance. The 4 DC Dreads all have magnagrapples because they are silly, and I am only taking ONE twin-linked Auto Cannon. That's right, NO RIFLEMAN! It's crazy, but these are crazy times.