PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite codex front cover?

The Lion's Shade
21-11-2011, 22:41
My favorite front cover for a codex is this (copy and paste this link onto the URL bar) http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/1869893190/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

Please tell me your favorite front cover.

tuo
21-11-2011, 22:41
This is not a codex. It is a rulebook ;) It's the 3rd ed rulebook.

Without digging through all the codizes one of the covers that always stuck was the Codex Deamonhunters and the Codex Armageddon. Also Realms of Chaos: The Lost and the Damned and the Angels of Death Codex!

I love those...

The Lion's Shade
21-11-2011, 22:46
Sorry. In that case I'll expand it all war hammer 40k supplement codex's, codex's and rule books from any edition.

tuo
21-11-2011, 22:51
Sorry, didn't want to sound harsh ;) The cover you posted is a great one, I actually had to look what the actual Codex: Black Templars looked like ;)

It is one of the best pieces of artwork, which you can study for a long time and find details after details in the background...absolutely great!

When I may include Non-Codex stuff...wow...Krieg-Stuff Books from GW comes to mind ;)

Nazguire
21-11-2011, 22:53
The Eye of Terror Codex was a great cover. My favourite of all time would be th 3.5 Chaos Codex. Those pics just look brutal. Something that is seeming to seep away from Warhammer artwork in place of WoW artwork.

wyvirn
21-11-2011, 23:21
3rd ed Tyranid. It was gloomy and mysterious, like the race inside. Now we have this ranbow-fex on the cover and well, you know the rest of the story.

Vepr
21-11-2011, 23:49
3rd ed Tyranid. It was gloomy and mysterious, like the race inside. Now we have this ranbow-fex on the cover and well, you know the rest of the story.

I really like the new cover all it needed was a pyrovore, a lictor, and some rippers to go along with the fex, hormagaunts, and spore for "Things you will not use inside this codex" warning.

Brothergrimm
22-11-2011, 01:12
The DA codex sums up grim dark in a picture.

WinnebagoFever
22-11-2011, 01:24
I really liked the 4th edition Tau, Space Marine, and Imperial Guard codexes. The artwork just seemed to be so much better quality than the new ones theyre pumping out these days.

Okuto
22-11-2011, 01:33
3.5 chaos.....failing that I love the DE cover

Rosstifer
22-11-2011, 01:36
3rd Ed Necrons, pretty much summed up what the race was at the time, even though I prefer the new codex.

That Necron Warrior creeped the heck out of me when I was a kid. It looked menacing and utterly soulless.

GodofWarTx
22-11-2011, 07:12
The new marine dex has a great great cover. My least favorite is the Blood Angels cover. It is completely terrible.

Aliarzathanil
22-11-2011, 07:22
The current Eldar book has a nice cover.
The Witchunter Codex (the newly outdated one) had a nice cover as well.

The Blood Angel and Dark Angel covers are terrible. The colors are washer out and the necks look weird.

Vaktathi
22-11-2011, 07:28
I really actually like the 5E Tyranid and Dark Eldar covers. The 3.5E CSM book had an excellent cover lending a much more brutal feel to the army that GW seems to have lost as a whole in the years since. The 2E Chaos Codex cover, though somewhat 'Heavy Metal'-cartoony, was also super cool.

The 5E C:SM cover feels really symbolic almost slap in the face "hey, Chaos, all that cool stuff you used to have, guess where it went?" given the massive change in design philosophy with that book :p. The 5E BA codex cover is...awful. Most other codex covers are "meh".

Wyrmwood
22-11-2011, 07:42
Most of the later 3rd and early 4th Edition codices had great artwork. Personally favourites include Codex: Tyranids, Codex: Eye of Terror, Codex: Chaos Space Marines and Codex: Cityfight.

tu33y
22-11-2011, 09:17
The new marine dex has a great great cover. My least favorite is the Blood Angels cover. It is completely terrible.

sweet god yes... i thought it was a joke when i first saw it...

TheCaptain
22-11-2011, 09:30
2nd Ed Sisters of battle, or 3rd Ed Eldar, both beautiful pieces of art that sums themselves up perfectly

Rick Blaine
22-11-2011, 09:39
I think they are all entirely forgettable except the cover of C:CSM 3.0 - yes, the one with just one huge bald head on it. That one will stay with me forever.

Myrmidon616
22-11-2011, 09:52
Chaos Space Marine 3rd edition codex, the first one I bought so it has some sentimental value. One day I'm going to convert some models to represent some of the cool artwork inside.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex:_Chaos_Space_Marines_(3rd_Edition,_2nd_Codex )

Sir_Turalyon
22-11-2011, 10:44
3rd edition Imperial Guard (wish I could find a better picture, but you can see which one I mean)

Gertjan
22-11-2011, 10:58
Think the 2nd Ork codex cover is still my favorite. Not sure why but it looks better to me with what iirc was an angry Ghazghul on the front (with Makari still :D),

The bearded one
22-11-2011, 11:02
Here you can find a nice little overview of all the codices with pictures to help refresh your memories:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex

I like a lot of the new ones. I was never really into the cartoony 'in your face!!' colours, with the excessive amount of brightness and the awkward posing. Rather all of the new covers from 4th and 5th edition generally look very good from a technical standpoint.

Some of the ones I really like are Space Wolves, Dark Eldar and Grey Knights. I just adore that style, I never really got into dave callager's codex covers though (I'm fairly sure the IG, Tyranid and Blood Angels covers are his work).

Sazabi
22-11-2011, 11:10
3rd Edition Space Marine will always have a place in heart. It just screams '40k'!! at you sooo loud...

Freakiq
22-11-2011, 12:08
4th edition Tau Empire and Eldar and the 5th edition Dark Eldar and Necron covers get a honorable mention from me.

The 5th edition Space Wolf cover is by far my favorite though.

Daemonia
22-11-2011, 12:21
Second Edition Sisters of Battle codex and the Third Edition box cover itself. Absolutely LOVED the religious lunacy elements of the Imperium in all their glory. Anyone here remember the Redemptionists/Cawdor from Necromunda? All their stuff looked awesome.

Fawful
22-11-2011, 13:01
I like the second edition witchhunters and eldar codexes because they represent those armies so well. I like the 4th edition eldar codex as well, to bad it falls apart so easily. My favourite 5th ed. codex cover is the dark eldar one.

Thanatos_elNyx
22-11-2011, 13:52
Here you can find a nice little overview of all the codices with pictures to help refresh your memories:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex.

After having a look through those none of them are amazing (none are truly bad either except of course the BA and the tubby Chaos 4th Ed).

A lot of the second edition ones come with a flavour of nostalgia (even though I never played 2nd Ed) that is hard to beat.

LonelyPath
22-11-2011, 13:57
Slaves To Darkness & The Lost and the Damned books had amazing covers.

Add to those Daemonhunters, Witch Hunters, DA 4th edition and Grey Knights and you have my favourites.

Melchor
22-11-2011, 14:32
Second Edition Chaos. My first codex ever and I still love the cover.

Brother-Captain Endymion
22-11-2011, 15:03
I like the 4th edition Eldar and Tau covers quite a bit.

Azulthar
22-11-2011, 15:03
Another fan of the darker covers, especially the ones where the Imperium comes off all religious and fanatical. Also enjoyed 3rd edition Tyranids. Very dark and threatening.

New covers are still okay though, definitely not as nostalgic for the older covers as I am for the older fluff.

loveless
22-11-2011, 15:12
In order, my top five are:

5th Ed Dark Eldar
3rd Ed Witch Hunters
5th Ed Grey Knights
4th Ed Eldar
5th Ed Necrons

Spider-pope
22-11-2011, 15:12
Either Codex: Chaos or Codex: Angels of Death, both from 2nd edition. Both are incredibly characterful pieces that really sum up the nature of the forces contained within.

Mit Gas
22-11-2011, 16:25
I really like this one: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/0/0f/Codex_Eldar_3rd_FCover.jpg

But a few codex pics were amazing and some were pretty bad.

ChrisMurray
22-11-2011, 16:31
Looking back at all those covers takes me back. I remember all the way back to the first ones even though I wasn't playing\collecting at the time, I still remember seeing them in WD or somewhere. Anyway, I really like the current Necron one, but I must say this is the first time I've seen the eye of terror campaign book, and that is amazing.

The Lion's Shade
22-11-2011, 21:32
I love the eye of terror front cover.

ColShaw
22-11-2011, 21:40
I gotta go with Eye of Terror, with Armageddon a close second. Abaddon crushing Cadia in his claw... priceless.

The Lion's Shade
22-11-2011, 22:05
Armageddon is a classic.

librerian_samae
22-11-2011, 23:31
City fight has to be the one for me.

Kakapo42
23-11-2011, 00:18
I'd have to say any of the 3rd edition ones. Combined they form an excellent mosaic of what the setting's like.

Special mention goes to:

Codex Tau: Nostalgia award for being my first codex, and thus far my favourite (So much more character in it than it's successor).

Codex: Witchhunters and Codex: Dark Angels for capturing the depths of the Imperium perfectly.

Codex: Eye of Terror for summing up the campaign in a picture.

Chem-Dog
23-11-2011, 01:32
3rd edition Imperial Guard (wish I could find a better picture, but you can see which one I mean)

All of the Koplinski covers were fantastic, for a while I thought that was going to be GW's new "look".

Tough to pick a favourite, here's my top 5 in no particular order.

EoT. Abadon crushing Cadia (or Terra, there was some dispute over this) worthy of a film poster/hair metal album cover.

CSM 3.5. Not so much the cover itself as the larger image it's cropped from.

Catachans. Big muscly men. Manly men, :shifty:

Necron. 3rd Ed. Actually doing a pretty blooming good job of looking sinister.

Freebooterz. What can I say? Paul Bonner. Those Orks actually look like they're alive.

Honourary mentions for the wrong reasons:-
2nd Ed Chaos. Abaddon belting out his rendition of "O sole mio"

Craftworld Eldar. Just how effeminate can you make the living embodiment of a war-god look?

Hicks
23-11-2011, 01:58
Armageddon!

Grimbad
23-11-2011, 04:17
Armageddon, Orks 3rd, Eye of Terror. Battle Missions is pretty cool.

Sophet Drahas
23-11-2011, 07:09
All of the Koplinski covers were fantastic, for a while I thought that was going to be GW's new "look".

Heartily agree, Karl's work was breathtaking and I loved near everything he did. If I ever have the opportunity to get full prints of his Tomb Kings stuff that I could frame I'd buy it.

Unfortunately I don't like Blanche's style whatsoever and am not a fan in the art style Fantasy has gone. I'll have to flip through the Dark Eldar codex when I get home to see who did that. Guessing it's Jes, which makes sense and I really love his style too.

The Lion's Shade
23-11-2011, 17:52
Armageddon, Orks 3rd, Eye of Terror. Battle Missions is pretty cool.

What do you like about the battle missions front cover. Personally it looks all over the place.

The Lion's Shade
23-11-2011, 18:51

Tough to pick a favourite, here's my top 5 in no particular order.

EoT. Abadon crushing Cadia (or Terra, there was some dispute over this) worthy of a film poster/hair metal album cover.

CSM 3.5. Not so much the cover itself as the larger image it's cropped from.

Catachans. Big muscly men. Manly men, :shifty:

Necron. 3rd Ed. Actually doing a pretty blooming good job of looking sinister.

Freebooterz. What can I say? Paul Bonner. Those Orks actually look like they're alive.

Honourary mentions for the wrong reasons:-
2nd Ed Chaos. Abaddon belting out his rendition of "O sole mio"

Craftworld Eldar. Just how effeminate can you make the living embodiment of a war-god look?

To be honest I never really liked orks but when I saw that freebooterz front cover I loved it.

laudarkul
24-11-2011, 11:59
Codex Witch Hunters and Daemon Hunters are so 40k in my opinion.
Then Codex: Black Templars, Dark Eldars (5) and Eye of Terror for more depth in the Universe.

The Lion's Shade
24-11-2011, 18:05
Black Templar's is a bit nondescript.

Dervos
24-11-2011, 18:28
When the eldar codex came I just feel awe at everything that was happening on the cover. The striking scorpions leading in the front, the Autarch being all inspiring probably trying to ignore the wraithlord with bright lances for arms. Beautifial

It just felt amazing compared to the last eldar codex which felt goofy, I thought eldar were a bunch of ravers, ravers in space. Not that I hated it but for me the newer one really captured the look.

CaptainGallas
24-11-2011, 21:02
I love my first codex, the 2nd edition Angels of Death, a codex for both Blood Angels and Dark angels

2_heads_talking
24-11-2011, 22:32
When the eldar codex came I just feel awe at everything that was happening on the cover. The striking scorpions leading in the front, the Autarch being all inspiring probably trying to ignore the wraithlord with bright lances for arms. Beautifial

It just felt amazing compared to the last eldar codex which felt goofy, I thought eldar were a bunch of ravers, ravers in space. Not that I hated it but for me the newer one really captured the look.

Is that not meant to be a Titan?

Think it's called the Phantom...

Anyway, for me the 2nd edition Space Wolves codex is amongst my favourites, though like many it is my favourite because it was my first codex. Other particular favourites include the Sisters of Battle 2nd edition codex, Angels of Death codex and the Chaos Space marine codex 3.5, it just oozes menace.

Notably bad codex covers, in my opinion, include the two versions of the individual Blood Angels codexes; I just think that they look awful, but the all-time worst must be the original 3rd edition Chaos Space Marine codex. That picture of a SM's face, who looks like he's either on the toilet after a bout of constipation or retarded... awful, awful picture.

Mojaco
24-11-2011, 22:46
4th Edition Space Marines. I like all 4th editions books, but Calgar just look great on that cover.

Threeshades
25-11-2011, 00:49
I would put 3rd edition codices in all my top choices. GW seems to have invested a lot more in those than the following generations. Neat, invisible brush strokes great perspective and proportion, sometimes incredible amounts of details, great color composition. I think the winner for me would be Tyranids 3rd Ed. Those look really lean and mean with the tiniest details taken care of.
It went downhill from there, 3rd ed Tau had static figures and awkward proportions and then with 4th ed the the brush stroke quality went down, everything looked murky sometimes body proportions were completely off (fore example IG 5th the Guardsmen on the left in the foreground, has a dislocated shoulder, it would appear). A few exceptions here and there for sure but the general quality just doesn't live up to 3rd edition anymore.

Okay to be fair the 3rd Ed covers usually turned out a little empty while more contemporary artworks usually depict a whole army on the march.

Melchiah
25-11-2011, 01:18
Forever my favourite!

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/9/9a/Codex_Eldar_2e.jpg

Was the codex that started my love for the eldar and got me in to the hobby.

carlisimo
25-11-2011, 05:22
3rd edition Dark Angels (and I'm not even a MEQ player!). The art dates back to second edition, as the cover for... um... dang, can't remember right now. Whatever it was, their armor in the original art was closer to black than green. They lightened up for the 3rd edition codex cover.

Npf6
25-11-2011, 06:29
Blood Angels codex. I really like the art work feels very gothic and angelic, as if it could be replicated in stain glass in a church.

Aluinn
25-11-2011, 07:06
3rd Ed. Daemonhunters, no doubt. It's a little weird to have solo art of a special character on a codex cover rather than a group shot, but I think it's just a great piece of artwork, with perfect color choice, pose, and everything.

But I like most of the new codex cover art lately; I think the last three (DE, GK, and Necrons) have all been very nice--the Archon's face in the DE art kinda weirds me out, but that's personal and not a real fault of the piece. The cover may be the best part of Codex: Grey Knights :).

Dreadlordpaul
25-11-2011, 10:19
5E Dark Eldar has to be my fave to be honest

Aeron
25-11-2011, 10:50
The Current Imperial Guard codex.

Alright maggots.....OPEN FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Nate.

EclypseDesigns
25-11-2011, 10:52
pffff. n00bs :P crimson fists ftw!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Rogue_trader_cover.jpg

Necrofencer
25-11-2011, 11:30
Codex: Eye of Terror is the winner IMHO. Sum up the whole thing in one picture.
Challengers being Dark Eldar 5th (makes it clear that it's NOT a good day to be alive) and Witch Hunter (same).

Jury's selection : Imperial Guard, 3th edition, first cover. The book was so bad, the little guys couldn't even win on their own cover.

MarcoSkoll
25-11-2011, 13:42
For me, Imperial Guard 3.5 Ed.

It's not my favourite of Karl Koplinski's pieces (some of which I've sculpted versions of for Inquisitor), but as it's narrowed it down to just book covers, that's the one for me.

Spiney Norman
25-11-2011, 13:56
My favourite cover still in print is the 4th edition Eldar codex, other favourites of mine were the 3rd edition Witch Hunters and Necron codexes, unfortunately the newcron codex came with the second worse codex cover ever designed (I mean the overlord on the cover doesn't even have legs), only narrowly beaten by the daemon codex for general garish colour nastiness.

The Lion's Shade
26-11-2011, 12:50
Love the 4Th edition eldar front cover.

InquisitorBoreal
26-11-2011, 13:05
I like the new Imperial Guard cover, Space Wolves and Codex: Daemonhunters.

The cover of the latest Blood Angels codex makes my eyes hurt when looking at it..

Kerrosive56
26-11-2011, 13:09
Personally I am a fan of the current Eldar cover. I am heavily biased though, as I play them. But that being said, the Dark Eldar cover also looks awesome.

The Lion's Shade
26-11-2011, 13:44
I think that the dark eldar cover looks a bit of a mess.

jason_sation
26-11-2011, 15:14
I really like the Tau vs. IG cover on Cities of Death. I play Imperial Guard and much prefer the previous cover artwork to the curent.

Drakcore Bloodtear
26-11-2011, 15:29
DH and WH are by far (IMO) the two best codex covers.

Zinch
26-11-2011, 15:42
For me the winner is 3rd edition Necrons. When I saw that picture I fell in love with them and are my fauvorite army since then.

Also, i realy liked the dark and sinister cover from the 3rd edition rulebook and for nostalgia, the 3rd edition Space Marines (my first codex).

Santtu
27-11-2011, 03:02
2nd ed: Sisters of Battle. Great cover in all respects, looks really gothic and dark. Blanche's leg/stiletto fetish cheapens it a little though.
3rd ed: Necrons. Great blend of black and green and really shows what a horde of soulless robots they are. Witch Hunters is cool too.
4th ed: Space Marines. So much detail and the Ultramarines Honour Guard look cool.
5th ed: Grey Knights. They're always cool, and the cover shows them fighting against impossible odds, surrounded from all sides. Their hands look too small though.

Special mention: Dawn of War Soulstorm

NinjaPenguin2k7
27-11-2011, 04:59
2nd Ed Sisters of Battle codex cover has a real Lady Gaga thing happening. Just saying..

Nazguire
27-11-2011, 05:04
DH and WH are by far (IMO) the two best codex covers.

They are pretty damn good I agree. They are just so good at conveying the character of the Ordo they represent.

Ordo Malleus; noble,secretive order fighting the worst of the worst
Ordo Hereticus; Sinister, violent and unforgiving.

Vipoid
27-11-2011, 13:51
I think the Eye of Terror, 3rd Edition Witch Hunters and 5th edition Dark Eldar codices all have very nice artwork.

In terms of the armies I play:

I rather like the simplicity of the 3rd edition Necron codex cover. No Commanders, no other races being shot or slain; just an endless tide of necron warriors and scarabs, stretching out to the horizon, and pouring forth from monolith gates. I think it did a good job of embodying the silent and mysterious nature of the necrons.

The new one is ok. but I think it makes them look a little to human - the overlord even appears to have flesh on his face.

I think my favourite cover would be that of the 3rd edition tyranid codex. It was dark, and did an excellent job of showing both the Tyranids, and a bleak, ravaged world - the fate of all worlds that stand in their way.

The 4th edition was more mediocre, having much less atmosphere and not providing a great deal to look at.

The 5th edition one looks like a hippy threw up on the cover.

Hrw-Amen
27-11-2011, 14:30
2nd edition SOB for a codex.

I do actually quite like the BFG Rulebook cover.

Stormtrooper Clark
28-11-2011, 02:34
5th Edition Imperial Guard.

Adra
28-11-2011, 09:02
My favorite cover would have to be Daemonhunters. The dude on the cover looks so epic but at the same time kinda old. Plus the tormented sky in the background is juct scary.

I have to say that looking through all the older codex covers i cant find a 2nd Edition codex i dont like. They were so colourful and cool. Want them on my wall now.

Nazguire
28-11-2011, 11:57
My favorite cover would have to be Daemonhunters. The dude on the cover looks so epic but at the same time kinda old. Plus the tormented sky in the background is juct scary.

I have to say that looking through all the older codex covers i cant find a 2nd Edition codex i dont like. They were so colourful and cool. Want them on my wall now.

I don't like any of the Second Edition Codex covers. They look far too cartoony for me. I'm more of a fan of the 4th Edition covers, far more 'adult' looking (such as the 3.5 Chaos, Daemonhunters, Witchhunters, Space Marines, etc)

Though the 3rd Edition Dark Angels is slick. :cool:

Commissar Merces
28-11-2011, 18:36
Eye of Terror hands down.

Irondog
29-11-2011, 03:14
The cover art from the original Rogue Trader rulebook is hands-down my favorite. I was so inspired by that picture that I built this army (http://www.irondogstudios.com/profilecf.html)... granted it was 20+ years later. The real kicker, I don't even play them, I just wanted them because of the picture.

Angelwing
29-11-2011, 08:06
The art dates back to second edition, as the cover for... um... dang, can't remember right now.

Storm of Vengeance campaign pack.

My choices:
2nd ed Sisters of Battle (I have the limited poster that each staff member got given at it's release hanging on my wall).
3rd ed chaos space marines (the big bald head)
3rd ed Cityfight
3rd ed Space wolves
3rd ed Catachans
4th ed Imperial guard.

1.6blackout
29-11-2011, 19:47
Codex: Catachans, COdex: Eye of Terroer

Grocklock
29-11-2011, 23:02
Orks 4th edition, first dex loved it

The Lion's Shade
01-12-2011, 20:07
All the orks codex's have been amazing.

The Lion's Shade
09-12-2011, 21:40
Love the 3rd edition tau codex.

Worship
10-12-2011, 04:05
I've gotta say the new Necron codex cover is pretty awesome. Colors really make it stand out when it's next to the others.

Warhammer Fantasy army book covers are a whole different story. better than 40k imo

The Lion's Shade
19-12-2011, 20:41
The new necron codex is too cartoony.

loveless
19-12-2011, 20:49
The new necron codex is too cartoony.

Why do you say that?

The new Necron cover is along the same lines as the Dark Eldar, Orks, and Eldar covers from the looks of it. It cunningly avoids the weirdness that is the newest Blood Angels and Tyranids covers.

It does have a rather bizarre palette, though.

Vipoid
19-12-2011, 21:04
Why do you say that?

The new Necron cover is along the same lines as the Dark Eldar, Orks, and Eldar covers from the looks of it. It cunningly avoids the weirdness that is the newest Blood Angels and Tyranids covers.

It does have a rather bizarre palette, though.

I think they look to human - especially since they appear to be striking poses, rather than actually fighting. The leader's face even looks like it has flesh.:eyebrows:

The Lion's Shade
08-01-2012, 22:31
Yeah the new necron codex front cover is a bit too human like not the living metal that they are described as.

Gearhead
08-01-2012, 23:45
In no particular order

Codex: Armageddon. As others have said, you could put it on a poster and I'd assume it was for a movie or a Metal album.

Rogue Trader Rulebook. After my Tau, I wanted to star up Marines. This is the picture that inspired the chapter choice. The third edition Marines codex did much the same thing.

Codex: Tyranids (3.0). Tyranids are scary, the other books don't seem to get that. This one did though, I'd really like to see an army painted up in that black and red scheme.

Codex: Imperial Guard (3.5). It's the epitome of Guard to me. There's not a squad of guys in that picture, it's seven dudes. Seven dudes who aren't genetically engineered killing machines, just seven dudes. The biggest gun they have is a flamethrower, and command isn't anywhere around, but they are going to hold. that. line.

Codex: Space Wolves (3.0). It's very "Conan the Barbarian", which is awesome.

Others include the 2nd ed Eldar codex, 3rd ed necrons, and 4th ed Black Templars. 3rd ed Tau was my first, but they've yet to really nail a tau cover.

baphomael
09-01-2012, 00:35
Theres so many choices that I love.

But i'll chime in with another vote for Codex: Eye of Terror. As said earlier, it really captures the theme. Most army codex covers are intended, at least these days, to showcase the feel of a particular army in action, while EoT had to showcase an entire event. Plus, I just love the image of Abaddon crushing Cadia in his claw. He looks like a proper supervillain there :p

Another that I love (a feeling rekindled by the nostalgia fest that is that limited edition blood angel captain ;)) is the cover for Codex Imperialis (albeit, it is also the 2nd edition starter box cover as well). When it comes to 40k, that image will be forever ingrained into my psyche.

EDIT: ^actually, anything by Blanche. For me, Blanche *is* 40k... it simply would not be the same without his artwork. But that cover, in particular, just sums 40k up for me.

trigger
09-01-2012, 00:49
The latest wolf codex
Why ?
I've always thought that if you were an imperial citizen that had called for aid and the wolves turned up , your knees would give way and you would soil your self thinking chaos had turned up instead . That codex captures that near perfect.
Just picture your first sight of your rescuers is that walking over a hill.

Other than that 3rd space marine

Lastchancers.co.uk

tsz52
09-01-2012, 02:14
For 'Ahhh, back in the day...' value it'd be 2nd Ed Eldar.

Overall probably WH; I always imagine that being the usual kind of 40k thing going on just up the road when you pop out for your pack of cigs and pint of milk in the morning... just another happy day in the Imperium.:D

witchunter180
09-01-2012, 02:16
Still love the SM cover (nothing says "I kick #&@" more than hogging the cover lol) but also like the SW too. I do think the IG cover is misleading though (where's my landing craft with starship-grade weapons?!).

Vipoid
09-01-2012, 09:44
Codex: Tyranids (3.0). Tyranids are scary, the other books don't seem to get that. This one did though, I'd really like to see an army painted up in that black and red scheme.

One thing I really liked about this cover was that it made Tyranids look more coordinated and intellegant - unlike the newer codices, in which they resemble mindless beasts.

Colonel_Kreitz
09-01-2012, 15:49
Imperial Guard 3.0 Codex. A ton of Cadians in trenches taking heavy fire, about to be overrun, with aircraft burning and falling out of the sky.

That's 40K for me...

v0iddrgn
09-01-2012, 22:36
I love the new Necron cover and the Orks cover

chromedog
10-01-2012, 00:30
This one.

The first one I bought.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r221/chromedog/eldarcodex.jpg

Still has most of the fluff being the same.
And fluff for units that didn't see models until the next edition (or ever).

itcamefromthedeep
10-01-2012, 05:28
I do think the IG cover is misleading though (where's my landing craft with starship-grade weapons?!).
There's a far better cover-picture inside the codex. It's actually a lot like the one on the cover, just better. It's a frustrating phenomenon because so far all the 8e Fantasy books have great cover-pictures... they're just not on the cover.

I really love the Cities of Death and Planetstrike covers from a technical standpoint. They're refreshingly crisp. That same feeling attracts me to the 4e Eldar cover.

As for true codexes though, the 2e Sisters of Battle codex is simply one of the defining images of 40k in my mind.

Abaraxas
10-01-2012, 06:15
As it was the first CODEX BOOK I got, 2nd ed Space Wolves probably has to get my vote.

Although Freebooterz is what I want to say.

Spiney Norman
10-01-2012, 10:39
The best
3rd Ed Witch Hunters
3rd Ed Necrons
Current Eldar Codex

And the worst
Chaos Daemons
Current Necrons

Disturbed Frog
10-01-2012, 12:39
I really like the current ork one and the 2nd Edition Tyranid one is always good for a laugh.

The Lion's Shade
23-04-2012, 22:55
The prblem with the new codex front covers is that they are either too cartoony or blurred and crowded!

TheDarkDuke
24-04-2012, 05:10
Current Ork and Necron imo are the best covers 40k has seen. I think if this were a fantasy and 40k we would see almost every fantasy cover above 40k. Artwork inside both are a mix of meh and awesome, but covers are far better in fantasy

panic_puppet
24-04-2012, 10:54
2nd Edition Angels of Death codex. Exemplifies "Blood Angel" much better than the current one, or the one that needed tag-teamed with the marine book to work. Bought it a while back to complete my collection of BA codices since it was before my time. The chaplain and DC just scream 'bad-ass'

gutsmaka
24-04-2012, 11:16
the ork codex or the last tau codex. both have great articles about the races culture and way of life.