PDA

View Full Version : 2500 High Elves For Tough Tournie, Thoughts?

Dakkapantz
22-11-2011, 01:46
Hey all,

wondering what you think of this list:

Lords:

Prince: Great weapon, Heavy Armour, Dragonhelm, Vembraces of Defence, Crown of Command.

Archmage(life): Lv.4 wizard, Additional spell, talisman of preservation.

Heroes:

Noble: BSB, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Dawnstone.

Mage(Metal): Lv.2 wizard, seerstaff of saphery(picks his spells).

Core Units:

16 Archers: Full Command.
18 Archers: Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame.

Special Units:

24 White Lions: Full Command, Banner of Sorcery, Skeinsliver.
24 Swordmasters: Full Command, Banner of Swiftness, Ironcurse Icon.

Rare Units:

2 Great Eagles

The lv.4 goes in the big archer block, the lord and the metal mage in the swordmasters, and the BSB in the White Lions. The way it works is the the metal wizard casts the glittering robe bubble, giving both units a 3+ armour save (white lions get 1+ vs shooting), with the archmage buffing and regrowing the units as needed.

Please Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Peyton

Buggus
22-11-2011, 08:56
When running lions I just do not see the need for a prince. You could almost invest his points into another unit to ancher a flank with more lions. That and you could adjust your units of lions to max out each unit. I myself run 3 units of lions, 17 17 and 21.

The rest of the list seems great, I would just think about the prince as he really is not needed for your army.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
22-11-2011, 09:07
Hey all,

wondering what you think of this list:

Lords:

Prince: Great weapon, Heavy Armour, Dragonhelm, Vembraces of Defence, Crown of Command.

Archmage(life): Lv.4 wizard, Additional spell, talisman of preservation.

Heroes:

Noble: BSB, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor, Dawnstone.

Mage(Metal): Lv.2 wizard, seerstaff of saphery(picks his spells).

Core Units:

18 Archers: Full Command, Banner of Eternal Flame.

Special Units:

24 White Lions: Full Command, Banner of Sorcery, Skeinsliver.
24 Swordmasters: Full Command, Banner of Swiftness, Ironcurse Icon.

Rare Units:

2 Great Eagles

The lv.4 goes in the big archer block, the lord and the metal mage in the swordmasters, and the BSB in the White Lions. The way it works is the the metal wizard casts the glittering robe bubble, giving both units a 3+ armour save (white lions get 1+ vs shooting), with the archmage buffing and regrowing the units as needed.

Please Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Peyton

Your list might be off by 26 pts. by my calculations. IMO I would put the metal mage in the main archer unit and put Lord & Life Mage in with the Swordmasters and transpose the magic items with the Guardian & the Bladelord. This way you can give ward/regen saves (at least from shooting)to both of the main close combat units. Additionally I would get the Folariath’s Robe instead of the AoP for the Archmage since he can cast Earthblood in the unit he's in. Also consider using guardian phoenix for the BSB instead of the dawnstone since re-roll for armor saves don't count much against high strength attacks. I hope that helps.

calnen
22-11-2011, 21:19
15 more White Lions will be much more effective than that Lord. Not sure what the point of crown of command is - without shadow, the archers will be wiped out before very long anyway.

Speaking of which, why dont you have the book of Hoeth?

Dakkapantz
22-11-2011, 21:52
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Buggus: The Prince provides another 4 S6 attacks, which is always a good thing in my book, as well as LD10 and stubborn for the swordmasters. With such an expensive unit, the last thing you want is some crazy situation where you lose combat and get run down. Without the Prince who would you recommend be the general?

PHEP: Since the swordmasters are the more vulnerable to shooting, I figured that they could use the ironcurse Icon more. With the metal wizard up front, I can give both units(which run straight up the guts together) a great armour save with one spell! The archmage can support safely in the backfield, and also that way I'm not putting more eggs into one basket than I already am at this point. I appreciate the feedback though, I'll have a look at the Robes on the archmage and see how it works!

Calnen: The max unit size for white lions is 28 in this GT, and the lord provides LD10 and Stubborn to the swordmasters, as well as some S6 attacks! Im not sure I follow you on the shadow, how would shadow make the archer units last longer? Are you talking from a combat perspective or from shooting? Regarding the Book of Hoeth, it is banned as well, so that's why its not in the list!:D

Cheers

Peyton

Buggus
23-11-2011, 00:50
I just find lions to be a better buy than sword masters (all around).

You asked who could be your leader, your mage can step up and take this role. Put the forlith robe on him keep him in a position so that he does not get killed. Very few ways that a forlith robe mage can be killed on foot.

So stack two units of lions up front with a the bsb in a unit of spears behind. That way everything is some what in reach of your bsb. Stubborn and bsb combo go a very long ways at keeping these guy in hth for hours. Each round your hacking the enemy down and his return is very little. After a few turns your either cleaned them up or broken them.

Most say that breaking steadfast is an issue. Well not if your stacking magic against that unit. The other night I cast sig heaven on a unit -1 ld. Its makes this a little more interesting when your ld is 7 and your steadfast. 19 lions hit your ranks, 14 attack with formation, and your looking at taking the test. Its just a matter of if you roll well enough to hold a turn.

Right now I am still working on my core. I have found the need for two archer units. Here is my set up.

19 archers, mus, ban, banner of enteral flame
19 archers, mus, ban
17 spearmen, mus, ban

This set up direction regen monters on top of allowing me to bunker up my bsb behind rows of white lions. That in turn keep my frontal movement going and hacking away as it does.

FairyPantz
28-11-2011, 10:26
Man, this list is never gonna work. Drop the prince, drop the BSB, drop the swordmasters. You know you are just going to fail your LD 10 rerollable check when you take a dwellers bellow to the face. Then you are going to flee through two archer units, and a building, and run all the way the right flank of the table.

And that's how every turn one will go in your next tournament...chump!

Archis
28-11-2011, 17:01
Got to agree with the Fairy here! I mean, this list looks like it needs to take off the skinny jeans if it's every going to kick some ass. Needs more book of Hoeth and more white lions. Why not units of 500?

Pulstar
28-11-2011, 17:52
I've been playing around with HE list for the conflict GT today. It's 2500 points and also has a cap of 28 White Lions.

My list had a level 4 Life mage with F. Robes in a unit of 28 White Lions who had the Banner of Sorcery and the terror mask. (Because 29 ASF STR 6 attacks is terrifying to just about everything.)

Standard BSB went in a unit of 30 spearmen, to provide rank support to what ever stuck on the WL unit. Level 2 back up mage in the least as well, with either Beast (for wildform) Fire (boosted fireball) or Shadow (for debuffs)

The rest of the list (2 eagles, 2 Lion chariots, 2 small SH units, 3 10 man archer units) is MSU'ed to try and make sure the Lion horde was across from the target I wanted it to be.