PDA

View Full Version : Gamesworkshop sneaking into our daily lives

Demrush
22-11-2011, 02:18
So I had a friend of mine completing this BBC questionnaire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/index_cookie.shtml) about the sexes. Once she was done, she asked me to do it as well so she could compare the results and so I obliged. Much to my surprise, I fell on a very interesting question for which the answer was very obvious, for me at least! :D

It isn't exactly a question. Rather, it asks you to rate yourself on several aptitudes/situations on a strongly agree to strongly disagree scale. Here's the exact quote:

"I do not enjoy games that involve a high degree of strategy (e.g. chess, Risk, Games Workshop)."
Definitely agree ; Slightly agree; Slightly disagree; Definitely disagree

I also found this recently while browsing some Starcraft 2 related stuff on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WXvLj5TCKw skip to minute 2:40

I found this to be pretty cool, seeing the GW brand show up from time to time in places I wouldn't necessarily expect. Do any of you guys have similar stories of the GW brand popping up randomly in an unrelated way into your day? haha doesn't happen often but it always puts a smile on my face!

Max Jet
22-11-2011, 05:22
Many evil things can be said about the company but they really get themselves known, which is a good thing for the hobby. I wish other manufacturers would try out more economical ways to drag typical passants into the Wargaming hobby, not just with an overexpensive high street shop chain.

stroller
22-11-2011, 15:26
I'm curious. If they're not in the high street, where would you be to find these passants?

Jo-Jo
22-11-2011, 15:47
Recently saw a BBC short created for children (don't ask why) to try and explain autism, and it showed a child playing warhammer 40k, and how it helped him deal with it.

yabbadabba
22-11-2011, 16:33
Recently saw a BBC short created for children (don't ask why) to try and explain autism, and it showed a child playing warhammer 40k, and how it helped him deal with it. When I was working for GW I have had the priviledge of working with children who have aspergers or autism. It was amazing and one of those great life experiences.

eron12
22-11-2011, 19:15
So I had a friend of mine completing this BBC questionnaire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/index_cookie.shtml) about the sexes. Once she was done, she asked me to do it as well so she could compare the results and so I obliged. Much to my surprise, I fell on a very interesting question for which the answer was very obvious, for me at least! :D

It isn't exactly a question. Rather, it asks you to rate yourself on several aptitudes/situations on a strongly agree to strongly disagree scale. Here's the exact quote:

"I do not enjoy games that involve a high degree of strategy (e.g. chess, Risk, Games Workshop)."
Definitely agree ; Slightly agree; Slightly disagree; Definitely disagree

I also found this recently while browsing some Starcraft 2 related stuff on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WXvLj5TCKw skip to minute 2:40

I found this to be pretty cool, seeing the GW brand show up from time to time in places I wouldn't necessarily expect. Do any of you guys have similar stories of the GW brand popping up randomly in an unrelated way into your day? haha doesn't happen often but it always puts a smile on my face!

While it's cool that GW got some mainstream attention, I think it's interesting that the questionare makers miscatagorized it. The question mentioned games, and two of the examples are games, but the third is a company. Oh well, there is still a ways to go.

Max Jet
22-11-2011, 19:24
I'm curious. If they're not in the high street, where would you be to find these passants?

Sorry I wanted to say everyday people and unfortunately used the word passant.

Havock
22-11-2011, 23:13
When I was working for GW I have had the priviledge of working with children who have aspergers or autism. It was amazing and one of those great life experiences.

For them, too, I am an 'aspie' too (not an internet one either, got diagnosed on my 23rd) and there were some blatantly obvious cases at the store which are... Markedly improving because they hang out, regularly, with other people.

MajorWesJanson
23-11-2011, 01:43
While it's cool that GW got some mainstream attention, I think it's interesting that the questionare makers miscatagorized it. The question mentioned games, and two of the examples are games, but the third is a company. Oh well, there is still a ways to go.

Well, it is like saying X-Box or Playstation. Those are game systems, not games themselves, but are easy shorthand for games.

Insane Psychopath
24-11-2011, 08:43
Recently saw a BBC short created for children (don't ask why) to try and explain autism, and it showed a child playing warhammer 40k, and how it helped him deal with it.

I can vouch for this, that the hobby help out since I have semantic pragmatic disorder - which is a fourm of autism, asperger & dyslexia.

IP

Liber
28-11-2011, 03:21
Many evil things can be said about the company but they really get themselves known

Not in America. GW has failed brilliantly here by treating us like the tiny homogeneous island they are from...The UK.

I live in California, and i would bet $1,000 that i could go through 100 people asking them "are you familiar with miniature wargaming, or more specifically, Games Workshop?" before i found someone who had any idea what the **** i was talking about...

Sorry for the rant, but GW is losing North America, and their refusal to advertise (even buy ultra cheap banner space on websites) is whats killing them.

Bodysnatcher
28-11-2011, 04:34
It was also weird seeing an Ork Warboss in the business section of the Times on Saturday the 26th....

Nazguire
28-11-2011, 06:52
It was also weird seeing an Ork Warboss in the business section of the Times on Saturday the 26th....

Weird. But cool! :p

The more a business advertises effectively, the more likely it is to get business. This is basic Marketing Principles I learned in University.

blongbling
28-11-2011, 07:28
Sorry for the rant, but GW is losing North America, and their refusal to advertise (even buy ultra cheap banner space on websites) is whats killing them.

Actually NA is growing strongly again now for GW......

Tayrod
28-11-2011, 09:15
Cracked.com had an article where they used a picture of a Khorne Warrior of chaos once, t'was cool.

Liber
28-11-2011, 21:31
Actually NA is growing strongly again now for GW......

Oh? What makes you say that? Any evidence? 'Cause i'd love to be mistaken.

Grimbad
28-11-2011, 21:47
I live in California, and i would bet $1,000 that i could go through 100 people asking them "are you familiar with miniature wargaming, or more specifically, Games Workshop?" before i found someone who had any idea what the **** i was talking about...

At the high school I went to in California, I'd say about one in five would know. But that definitely depends very much where you are.

Aeron
29-11-2011, 01:59

So they should of said Warhammer? I think it was a little bit of fun for the person who wrote the questionaire... either they collect or their bf (or even gf) collect it and they couldnt remember the exact name of the game but remembered the shop. Or somebody putting a little smile on their face by adding in Gamesworkshop when talking about games using dice etc. :D

I remember a few years ago there was a piece about Games workshop on a BBC program called working lunch and the presenter was interrupted by a camaraman of screen saying "and adults" when the presenters said they were more to do with kids. Cant remember the exact words but the presenter was laughing saying he'd been put in his place. :evilgrin:

I also remember a program on BBC1 kids tv about 5.30pm like watchdog but for kids which had on two brothers who'd bought some warped models from GW.....not sure why they couldnt just take them back to their GW store.... basically gw apologised and gave them loads of free stuff!
I remember it because there was a massive chaos marine army laid out on a table during the interview haha. :cool:

Cheers.

Nate.

eron12
29-11-2011, 07:50
Cracked.com had an article where they used a picture of a Khorne Warrior of chaos once, t'was cool.

Cracked.com has made a couple references to Warhammer and 40k, it's always nice to come across one in an article.

At the high school I went to in California, I'd say about one in five would know. But that definitely depends very much where you are.

That must have been a very interesting high school. I doubt 1 in 5 people in my high school had heard of DnD, let alone played. I'd guess not more than 10 out of the 1200 had heard of Games Workshop.

Liber
29-11-2011, 09:57
I doubt 1 in 5 people in my high school had heard of DnD, let alone played. I'd guess not more than 10 out of the 1200 had heard of Games Workshop.

Those are exactly the ballpark numbers that felt right too me living in California.

I've lived in 6 or 8 cities here, from NorCal around SF, to the SoCal around LA, and from my perspective GW has done a very crappy job of putting themselves out there. People often say "what about the video games, those are popular" but in all honesty, how many people that bought dawn of war (never having heard of wargaming like most people in the USA) decided to look up the words 'games workshop' that they happened to spot on the back of the box on google? Not many.