PDA

View Full Version : Painting Trim on Necron Vehicles

aznthecapn
22-11-2011, 07:17
I'm a sub-par painter (on a good day) so I'm wondering how to achieve the effect you see on Necron vehicles where its predominately black but has edge highlighting or even recessed highlighting. I assumed you could do the edges the way you'd highlight anything but the recessed runes glowing green really have me stumped. Is there a shortcut to making these look really effective for terrible painters like myself?

Apologies if this isn't the right spot - its not a "project log" and I didn't see a painting subsection of the forums.

AdolfHammond
22-11-2011, 08:57
For the recesses - do it in reverse - i.e. put plenty of paint on to get it into the recess, then once its dried you touchup the raised plating with black paint (or whatever) - dead easy that way.

Lars Porsenna
22-11-2011, 13:58
I'm thinking if you thin your paint, or mix in some clear in with the color, you might be able to achieve a "glowy" effect for the cracks specifically. I'm looking at picking up some vehicles in the next couple of weeks, and the plan right now is to airbrush Tamiya Black Green (thinking this will be better than pure black; adds a little visual interest) and going over the cracks with snot green thinned down, possibly in multiple layers. I painted the panel lines in all my Eldar vehicles with a fine brush, and it worked well; that'll be the final step. We'll see how it goes...

Damon.

DEADMARSH
22-11-2011, 14:41
Haven't tried it yet, but I'm kind of wondering how I'm going to do the same thing.

Anyone tried painting the recesses white or a very light grey then washing it in green ink/ GW wash? Kind of thinking that might work...

warplock
22-11-2011, 14:45
So far I undercoat black, fill in the recesses with Scorpion Green and paint any edges that colour too, then carefully apply a band of Snot Green around the Scorpion Green leaving only a thin line, then fill in the rest with Orkhide foundation (very dark green). Very simple but it looks OK.

loveless
22-11-2011, 14:49
Anyone tried painting the recesses white or a very light grey then washing it in green ink/ GW wash? Kind of thinking that might work...

I've done this with Bad Moon Yellow and Thraka Green on some old Privateer Cryx models. It worked out pretty well - a nice smooth green that gets a bit lighter towards the center.

DEADMARSH
22-11-2011, 15:09
I've done this with Bad Moon Yellow and Thraka Green on some old Privateer Cryx models. It worked out pretty well - a nice smooth green that gets a bit lighter towards the center.

Cool! Exactly what I was hoping!

Maybe over the Thanksgiving holiday I'll give it a go here...