PDA

View Full Version : Future FW Necrons.

ChrisMurray
22-11-2011, 16:15
Although it will be a long time off, now we have seen models\art for the Necron units, what does everyone think FW will release in the future for them? I've seen the old ideas of a giant tomb stalker, but seeing what has come for the DE and the new units in the codex I have a few thoughts.

I think FW will follow one of these designs:
- Different barges mounting titan weapons\other apoc level weapons.
- Expand on the crescent shaped aircraft introducing heavier versions.
- The megaliphe (spelling?) is mentioned in the new codex fluff, so maybe more versons along this line of thought.
- Follow on from the tomb stalker and do more criptek stuff.

I personally think that the barges will be where they will head for initially. What does everyone else expect we will see?

Jo-Jo
22-11-2011, 16:26
I think FW will follow one of these designs:
- Expand on the crescent shaped aircraft introducing heavier versions.

If FW wanted to do this, they would have done so a while ago I beleive. The reason they never made many Necron kits is because:
A. Old fluff didn't really leave room for much else.
B. They were a "niche" army, with many more players in IG, Space Marines, Space Elves/Eldar etc. They could only do one army at a time

If you look at the new DE stuff, its two things. You'll have to wait a while before they get to making alot of Necron stuff.

Necrons have always had cresent shaped ships sinced they were overpowered in Battlefleet Gothic (which was always).

cuda1179
22-11-2011, 17:38
I would love for them to produce a light bomber/ground attack aircraft for the Necron. It would be great to let the Necron bring a superheavy other than the Pylon for a change.

Lord Damocles
22-11-2011, 18:40
Well, that's demonstrably untrue.

Forgeworld could have made Necron flyers (Apocalypse, Hellforged), Obelisks (Epic, Medusa V), Doomsday Monoliths (Apocalypse), Harvesters (Hellforged), larger Tomb [/Crypt] Stalkers/constructs (Medusa V, Hellforged, Index Xenos), Deathbarques/Warshrines (3rd ed. concept art), Megaliths/Abbatoires (3rd ed. Codex cover, Apocalypse, Epic), Aeonic Orbs (Epic), heavy/Builder Scarabs (Dawn of War), Setekh(s) (Kal Jericho)...

And that's without different Scarab swarm bases, battle-damaged Necrons, special/named characters, non-Necrons (Medusa V: Endgame), Essences of C'tan (Dawn of War), or just making stuff up out of thin air.

nedius
22-11-2011, 21:06
The frivolous part of me wants them to release a larger, tripod version of the Triarch stalker, armed with a big Heatray, a poisoned gas blast weapon that penetrates even enclosed armour, and perhaps tendrils that capture and drain the blood out of victims....

Bonzai
22-11-2011, 21:21
If FW wanted to do this, they would have done so a while ago I beleive. The reason they never made many Necron kits is because:
B. They were a "niche" army, with many more players in IG, Space Marines, Space Elves/Eldar etc. They could only do one army at a time

If you look at the new DE stuff, its two things. You'll have to wait a while before they get to making alot of Necron stuff.

Necrons have always had cresent shaped ships sinced they were overpowered in Battlefleet Gothic (which was always).

Actually, it had been confirmed by several sources that GW specifically instructed FW to not do anything with DE or Necrons for quite some time, as they were working on a new codex, and in the Necron's case, were unsure what direction they wanted to go in.

As for what I would like to see?

1. A Flayed One lord
A reall bad @$$ model that allows flayed ones to count as troops, and turn his unit into decent combatants (+1 init, furious charge, etc..).

2. More C'tan Shards
Look at the Forge World Avatar of Kaine. Then look at the GW version. Now look at the GW C'tan. Now dream what FW could do....

3. A giant "Mostly Complete" C'tan
A 2500 point army of one, face wrecking unit for Apoc. C'tan done right! Fluff wise, the Necrons combine many shards into a mostly restored C'tan that they can barely keep under control.

4. Obelisks
The sentry guns of the Necron army. Immobile, Deep strike/infiltrate, maybe with a Testla destructor. Also alows Necron units to deep strike within 6 without error.

5. A Bomber
A heavily armed flyer unit with nice anti-infantry. Possibly with structure points.

6. A Tomb Spyder HQ
A construct HQ that allows for an all construct force. This representing the automated forces that defend a Tomb that isn't "awake" yet.

7. Another Construct
To add to the list outlined above. I am thinking either another variety of scarabs, or something that can act as a Troop choice in the list.

8. Harbingers
One Cryptek for discipline, and with all the representative gear.

9. A Phaeron
One done FW syle and without the fins on it's head. This one will be a named one, and have it's own stats for....

10. 2 Imperial Armor books
The first will detail an encounter with a dormant Tomb World, and follow it through the Imperium dealing with the first stages of awakening. The second will be a full scale battle with the fully awakened Necron forces.

aznthecapn
22-11-2011, 23:45
1. A Flayed One lord
A reall bad @$$ model that allows flayed ones to count as troops, and turn his unit into decent combatants (+1 init, furious charge, etc..).

2. More C'tan Shards
Look at the Forge World Avatar of Kaine. Then look at the GW version. Now look at the GW C'tan. Now dream what FW could do....

A 2500 point army of one, face wrecking unit for Apoc. C'tan done right! Fluff wise, the Necrons combine many shards into a mostly restored C'tan that they can barely keep under control.

4. Obelisks
The sentry guns of the Necron army. Immobile, Deep strike/infiltrate, maybe with a Testla destructor. Also alows Necron units to deep strike within 6 without error.

5. A Bomber
A heavily armed flyer unit with nice anti-infantry. Possibly with structure points.

6. A Tomb Spyder HQ
A construct HQ that allows for an all construct force. This representing the automated forces that defend a Tomb that isn't "awake" yet.

7. Another Construct
To add to the list outlined above. I am thinking either another variety of scarabs, or something that can act as a Troop choice in the list.

8. Harbingers
One Cryptek for discipline, and with all the representative gear.

9. A Phaeron
One done FW syle and without the fins on it's head. This one will be a named one, and have it's own stats for....

The first will detail an encounter with a dormant Tomb World, and follow it through the Imperium dealing with the first stages of awakening. The second will be a full scale battle with the fully awakened Necron forces.

Yes please!

Spleen Hammer
23-11-2011, 04:03
The frivolous part of me wants them to release a larger, tripod version of the Triarch stalker, armed with a big Heatray, a poisoned gas blast weapon that penetrates even enclosed armour, and perhaps tendrils that capture and drain the blood out of victims....

Ha! Good stuff...

Lord Aaron
23-11-2011, 06:14
1. A Flayed One lord
probly in the works

2. More C'tan Shards
meh, I doubt it but maybe

I seen this done already for a Apoc game, big death specter thing, and they just used the reaver titan rules for it.

4. Obelisks
its not as immobile as you think, infact its one of the more mobile necron vehicals (see Epic).

5. A Bomber
they already have a bomber in the codex

6. A Tomb Spyder HQ
I like this idea, mega tomb spyder... o wait.. they already got one. just change the rules to make it useful.

7. Another Construct
scarabs as troops? talk about OP.

8. Harbingers
convert one. considering they only made 1 model for some thing most people want 4+ of, I think they exspected you to convert them.

9. A Phaeron
I think that 6 SP characters is enough for HQ's.

meh, I think 1 book would be enough, but knowing FW it will be like 3 books. lol

Most people just take the better idea's from Epic and make it 40k scale, I know I am!

gutsmaka
23-11-2011, 10:16
making a doomsday monolith would be nice, from the apocalypse book and fall of damnos

Ordo Hydra
23-11-2011, 13:14
Well, that's demonstrably untrue.

Forgeworld could have made Necron flyers (Apocalypse, Hellforged), Obelisks (Epic, Medusa V), Doomsday Monoliths (Apocalypse), Harvesters (Hellforged), larger Tomb [/Crypt] Stalkers/constructs (Medusa V, Hellforged, Index Xenos), Deathbarques/Warshrines (3rd ed. concept art), Megaliths/Abbatoires (3rd ed. Codex cover, Apocalypse, Epic), Aeonic Orbs (Epic), heavy/Builder Scarabs (Dawn of War), Setekh(s) (Kal Jericho)...

And that's without different Scarab swarm bases, battle-damaged Necrons, special/named characters, non-Necrons (Medusa V: Endgame), Essences of C'tan (Dawn of War), or just making stuff up out of thin air.

I would love to see FW making all these... with the new book, I wonder if they will make an IA that focuses on an Imperium v Necron campaign.

Cheeslord
23-11-2011, 13:40
I can't remember the way Gaus Pylon was worded in the old IA, but I think it may have just taken a massive hit if "living metal" simply refers you to the Necron codex. I hope it gets a reprint at some point if thats the case...

Pariahs could be done as a forgeworld unit with new rules...

In the new codex fluff there is a reference to a gigantic floating structure that drops out monoliths. This.

Mark.

doubleT
23-11-2011, 13:46
"we don't have any plans to return to the Necrons any time soon." (ForgeWorld on their Facebook wall, Nov. 18th, 2011)

ChrisMurray
23-11-2011, 16:02
"we don't have any plans to return to the Necrons any time soon." (ForgeWorld on their Facebook wall, Nov. 18th, 2011)

Yeah they've been saying that since the release of the tomb stalker, but it is still interesting to discuss what they could make and based on what they've chosen to make for other races (especial DE as these were splash releases) what the most likely design direction will be.

Throw in a special rule that if someone sneezes durin a game the unit takes an instant stregnth 10 hit with no saves allowed.

Bonzai
23-11-2011, 19:39

Sure.... we already know that the next book will be Eldar vs SWs, and the one following that will be Tzeentch Chaos vs Penal Legion guard. Odds are good that Dark Eldar would come before them as well (Dark Eldar vs White Scars would be awesome). That already puts it at over a year or two away.

Bonzai
23-11-2011, 20:03
1. A Flayed One lord
probly in the works

I hope so, though I doubt it will be done by GW, as they left no support for it in the codex.

2. More C'tan Shards
meh, I doubt it but maybe

They certainly left the door wide open. I hope at least one more model is produced for them, by anyone. Though FW would certainly be able to do one justice.

I seen this done already for a Apoc game, big death specter thing, and they just used the reaver titan rules for it.

Yeah, but that is an un-official solution. I want to save the headache and just have an official datasheet to reffer to.

4. Obelisks
its not as immobile as you think, infact its one of the more mobile necron vehicals (see Epic).

I didn't know that Necrons were even in Epic. Never saw a section for them on the GW web site.

5. A Bomber
they already have a bomber in the codex

Doom Scythes and Night Scythes are not bombers. I am talking about something bigger, more dakka.

6. A Tomb Spyder HQ
I like this idea, mega tomb spyder... o wait.. they already got one. just change the rules to make it useful.

Mega Tomb Spyder? Which one is this?

7. Another Construct
scarabs as troops? talk about OP.

Not Canoptek Scarabs, but possibly another variety without entropic strike. Perhaps something like the old versions. Swarms not being scoring, it's not terribly OP. And it doesn't have to be scarabs. I just want to be able to run a construct list.

8. Harbingers
convert one. considering they only made 1 model for some thing most people want 4+ of, I think they exspected you to convert them.

Probably, but that is where Forge World comes in.

9. A Phaeron
I think that 6 SP characters is enough for HQ's.

Yeah, but Forge World always creates a new HQ that they can create the background for. Hopefuly, minus the fins on the heads.

meh, I think 1 book would be enough, but knowing FW it will be like 3 books. lol

I wouldn't complain.