PDA

View Full Version : Modular movement trays

Spaceboy
22-11-2011, 21:33
Hi, I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, I've got some modular movement trays to assemble for my vampire units. I'm doing the skellies movement tray, but should I build it as a 5 file, 4 ranks tray, or something else? I saw a game the other day in store and they weren't using any square trays :confused:

I'm fairly new to the rules, but not to collecting the minis.

Punk_in_Drublic
22-11-2011, 22:24
Hey! Before the new vampire book is released, I'd hold off doing any big purchases, as a new armybook can change which units to priorotize and how you would want to deploy them. With a unit like the skellies as they play now, I say you are best served with a minimal frontage (5 wide) and as many tanks as you have minis, 5-6 should do it. Remember that the movement tray is there to fascilitate easy maneuvering of your army, but do not hesitate to reform if it serve you.

Punk_in_Drublic
22-11-2011, 22:25
I mean ranks, not tanks.

Drongol
23-11-2011, 02:41
The best advice I can give you is to plan your army before you start building your trays. Then you'll know exactly what you need and can leave a few empty ranks in case you decide to raise some extra skeletons or ghouls or whatnot.

SotF
23-11-2011, 02:57
And have a few horde ones as well.

But for units, I've always advised on having room for at least 1 extra rank of what you want in the unit, and 2-3 for ones with raising.

The main reason is that if you find you want more in it, then you don't need to mess with it to make it work. The extra space also let's you adjust things on the fly far more easily such as if a character joins thee unit. It also helps to have the extra space when you're moving the unit rather than grabbing the actual models.

And there isn't a penalty to doing so if you inform your opponent about it at the beginning of the game so that he can move through the extra space taken up if he wants to.

Spider-pope
24-11-2011, 16:29
Hi, I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question, I've got some modular movement trays to assemble for my vampire units. I'm doing the skellies movement tray, but should I build it as a 5 file, 4 ranks tray, or something else? I saw a game the other day in store and they weren't using any square trays :confused:

I'm fairly new to the rules, but not to collecting the minis.

Personally i build my movement trays with an additional rank to the amount i'm planning to use. So for a 4 rank unit i'd build it with space for a 5th.

As to why you saw people without the trays, its because they arent compulsory to play the game, they just make moving units a bajillion times easier.

KronusDaSneaky
24-11-2011, 16:36
I mean ranks, not tanks.

Hmm thats certainly would be a good way to buff the usefulness of skeletons. Is there a limit to how many tanks per unit one is allowed? ;)

Chimera
25-11-2011, 12:19
You get spaces for 200 models in the Modular Tray thing... I'd suggest making a variety of trays , and leave the back edge off. Then if you're raising you can have a spare, smaller tray with only the sides on, which you can place behind your existing unit and put your newly raised dudes on. Tadaa.

Also recommend the '4 guys per base' regiment bases, rather than putting them all on individual ones.

boli
25-11-2011, 12:42
If you are doing movement trays it is well worth it to invest in magnets. I recently magnetised my units and it made life so much simplier!

ihavetoomuchminis
25-11-2011, 12:51
Hmm thats certainly would be a good way to buff the usefulness of skeletons. Is there a limit to how many tanks per unit one is allowed? ;)

Oh, i was going to make the same joke!

Metacarpi
25-11-2011, 13:06
The advice to leave room in your movement tray for an extra rank or two is brilliant, makes life much easier as your army grows!

I wouldn't stress too much on your movement tray size though, I think there's a total of 400 20mm spaces in the pack, and more than enough edges and corners. The packs are like 6 as well, so it's not exactly bank breaking considering the rest of the GW catalogue!

Urgat
25-11-2011, 14:07
Hey! Before the new vampire book is released, I'd hold off doing any big purchases, as a new armybook can change which units to priorotize and how you would want to deploy them. With a unit like the skellies as they play now, I say you are best served with a minimal frontage (5 wide) and as many tanks as you have minis, 5-6 should do it. Remember that the movement tray is there to fascilitate easy maneuvering of your army, but do not hesitate to reform if it serve you.

The winter goblin points out that a minimum rank width is 1. He ponders as to how that might actually work with skeletons. He reckons it might be a bit cheap, though. He lets out a short snigger of approval as a result.

Druchii Monkey
25-11-2011, 14:15
I think a couple of 5x5s are a good idea to start with and a 10x4 if you are thinking of using a horde.

I also have one specifically for cavalry, and a 6x3 which i quite like for small missile formations.

Don't forget you can always tack a model on the edge of your movement tray so if you do a cavalry tray that is 5x2 and want to play this 6x1 it's just the first row of the 5x2 with an extra model tacked on at the end for a wider frontage.

SotF
25-11-2011, 15:37
Also recommend the '4 guys per base' regiment bases, rather than putting them all on individual ones.

Make sure you have at least your front rank+6 normal troops single based though.

Also the 40x40 bases are great for unit fillers to do the same sort of thing.