PDA

View Full Version : Shire help!

Pertinax
18-04-2006, 09:10
I've been looking more and more at the hobbits. And there is something about loads of furry feet that I actually find quite amusing. So I've put together a list to try out. It's intended as a pre-WOTR shire list, with Gandalf, Aragorn and some Rangers helping out.

But I want to hear what other people feel about the list, and how it can be improved.

I wanted to include Paladin Took, purely for his Stand fast rule, but to do so I either have to chop a ranger or a bunch of hobbits. So he is sitting on the side lines.

I've included the rangers purely as snipers. With a 3+ to hit, if they come over something big and strong, they can do damage with a might point. Also, they can help to shore up the lines when the hobbits get out numbered in combats.

Aragorn and Gandalf are both mounted to provide a mobile support to where it might be needed. I might drop Aragorn's bow in order to get another hobbit archer, since he will be moving a fair amount, and probably being involved in combats quite a lot. Then again, as a sniper with might, he probably isn't a bad idea.

I'm also a bit concerned that I only have 46 figures in my army. But it probably isn't too bad.

So here's the list. Get your chopper out, and get hacking!

Aragorn: Armour, Bow, Horse (195pts)
Gandalf the Grey: Horse (180pts)
2 Rangers (50pts)
12 Hobbit archers: 1x Signal horn (68pts)
13 Militia (39pts)
17 Shiriffs (68pts)

Total points: 600
Total figures: 46
Total bows: 15

Neknoh
18-04-2006, 09:20
If this is a pre-WOTR army, I'd drop Aragorns Armour, it is something he got in Helms Deep, both in the book and in the movies.

I'd also be inclined to drop Aragorns bow, for as you said, it might not be worth the points.

Now, I would either try and get a second Signal Horn or I'd get Paladin Took by dropping a hobbit Shirrif or two.

Good luck

Brandir
18-04-2006, 15:18
I'm not sure about Aragorn.

Try and replace him with more Rangers.

Gondorian
18-04-2006, 21:05
You might like to mount the rangers as their charge bonus and 10inch movement will make up for the mighty 4inch charge your hobbits are able to unleash.

Pertinax
20-04-2006, 21:13
OK. So Aragorn out, and equivalent 7 rangers in. Add to that a few more hobbits, and move a few hobbits from bowmen to militia.
Somehow, the army feels vulnerable....

Brandir
20-04-2006, 21:24
Can't you find room for Paladin Took?

Pertinax
20-04-2006, 21:31
Of course. Forgot the old took. Make that one ranger fewer.