PDA

View Full Version : ideas for Kroot counts as

DarkDrgon
24-11-2011, 00:39
hi all! i'm working on buffing out my Tau list with a few more meat shields, but the thought of painting and assembling more of what I believe is the worst model in the codex is turning me off of it, so i've been considering some different models to use as counts as. Some ideas:

Lizardmen Saurus warriors, modeled with Kroot rifles or pulse carbines. probably my first choice, will be wysiwyg, and I like the models a lot better.

Ork Boyz- Not exactly fluffy, but I have them on hand, and hey, they are green :P

Guardsmen with Tau bits- Usually you see these as counts as FW, but I like the FW model too much to dilute my forces with them.

any other ideas? or should i just suck it up and deal with the Kroot?

ForgottenLore
24-11-2011, 01:55
Really? You don't like the Kroot models? I think their awesome.

To answer your question though. I think the guardsmen with Tau bits will not look feral enough, though you might try Catachans instead of Cadians as a base, that might work.

I think the Sauros are probably the best option. Beastmen would probably work OK as well, or even maybe skaven, though that might require more conversion work (on the plus side though, you can tell everyone that they are Hrud conversions that you are using as Kroot until they get put in the codex properly :)

Dhurrin
24-11-2011, 02:50
Really? You don't like the Kroot models? I think their awesome.

Me too. One of the most characteful models in the game IMO.

I would add a +1 to the Beastmen idea, just use the Kroot weaponry and assorted bits while greenstuff will help with anything too "fantasy."

If I'm not mistaken there is a very good thread over on Advanced Tau Tactica that uses Beastmen and a hell of a lot of greenstuff to make some really good feline warriors.

Clang
24-11-2011, 04:43
Happily, the Tau Empire fluff includes their use of mercenaries (the Kroot and Vespid are merely two examples), so no one can complain about counts-as Kroot, so long as you make an effort to use models that believably could have Kroot stats.

Orks (especially some of the odder subgroups, like Feral Orks) or barbaric/savage humans (or abhumans, e.g. Beastmen) are the simplest options. But you could also try renegade members of other races, e.g. Dark Eldar, or go really alien with something like Space Skaven.

DarkDrgon
24-11-2011, 05:24
I'm trying to give my army something that will make it really pop on the tabletop, and I think the lizardmen might fit the theme I'm going with. They are Ocean world Tau, the models are all based as if they are on the shore (for Infantry), or Hovering over the sea (Vehicles and Suits). The few Kroot I actually have from the battleforce just don't seem to fit in, and again I just don't like them. Too skinny and the beakface just kills the look, IMHO. I haven't seen any beastmen models yet, I'm gonna look into it. Kroot Rifles aren't too hard to come by on ebay, and even if i can't find them I can always trade or sell the body bits away

Dhurrin
24-11-2011, 08:14
If you're going for the "ocean" feel then I wouldn't recommend Beastmen. Lizardmen can work, although they don't give off an amphibian feel. If you are looking for as-is models with little to no greenstuff then I would say go for Lizardmen.

Eddie Chaos
24-11-2011, 11:15
Vampire counts Ghouls with Kroot weapons?

What about a head swap? Use kroot but swap the head for something more aquatic? or sculpt new heads if you can.

Clang
24-11-2011, 17:34
They don't have to use Kroot weapons either - nothing wrong with counts-as there too, so long as they are unique and look the part.

Carlosophy
24-11-2011, 17:36
I use Lizardmen as my Kroot:

- They are cheaper
- They still look like a subservient alien race
- Skinks make very cheap hounds
- The Carnosaur/Stegadon make great Knarlocs.

Wishing
24-11-2011, 21:30
I think saurus warriors would make great kroot warriors, and they look perfectly amphibian to me, like upright lizard-crocodiles. I say go lizards.

Col. Tartleton
24-11-2011, 22:19
Sauri with bolters are good for Tarrelian Dog Soldiers. They're bipedal reptiles who use bolt like weaponry. Just give them their bladed maces as a CCW.

Ryko
24-11-2011, 22:57
Does anyone still read warseer?

Dhurrin
24-11-2011, 23:04

Obvious troll is obvious?

Chem-Dog
24-11-2011, 23:05
How about Humans as stand in for Kroot? Some well converted Gue'Vesa would be nice. Not WAY off in the comparative stats range either.

Have to say though, Kroot are one of the nicer basic plastic trooper kits out there.

*looks at thread* Evidently at least 10 people do :wtf:

DarkDrgon
25-11-2011, 00:55
I forgot about Hounds haha, so I guess thats the final push I need to go lizardmen. Thanks for the help everyone, now to start making the bases for them! Would fantasy infantry fit on a standard 25mm base?

zoggin-eck
25-11-2011, 03:26
Would fantasy infantry fit on a standard 25mm base?

The saurus warriors are on 25mm square. They do, however, use the "slotta" bases, so just remove the "tab". Very widely spaced legs though, so I would guess the feet would be right to the edge if not on it, with a round base. (skinks are 20mm, cavalry on 25x50mm if that's useful).

Warlord Gnashgrod
25-11-2011, 07:56
You can also get some older bases too that still have slots in them. I think some places may still have them.

Latro_
25-11-2011, 09:26
'reprogrammed' Adeptus MEchanicus techguard/servitors :P

Wishing
25-11-2011, 11:01
You can also get some older bases too that still have slots in them. I think some places may still have them.

"Older" bases? Last time I checked, round bases came with slots as standard, and it was only in plastic unit boxes that you could get the non-slotta bases. I presume all the metal models sold come with slotta bases, since I've never seen a metal infantry model without a tab attached to their feet....

DarkDrgon
25-11-2011, 14:07
alll of my bases have water effects on them, so I'd prefer not to have the slots. Posing them shouldn't be too hard, gonna pick up my first box monday