PDA

View Full Version : New WD 316 (US) - Vostroyan spread...

ssorck
18-04-2006, 13:15
Well, got the new US white Dwarf today, and as always finished reading it in a few hours and went back for round 2.

The mag definately was not as bad as I was expecting given all the recent complaints on the new layout & content plan, however I did notice one thing that really irked me for some reason...

There is an intro to the Vostroyans section, and a 2 page spread showing an "impressive Vostryan army of 2000 pts painted by the 'Eavy Metal Team."
Problem is the squads are all cut & pasted - same mortar squad shown with the HQ as Hvy Support, 3 of six infantry squads are identical pictures, 2 of the remaining squad pictures are identitacl minus a 'cut & pasted' hvy weapon team in front, etc...

Don't know why but it bugs me that they'ld charade it as a fully painted army when at least 50% of the models don't even really exist...

Colonel Jacka
18-04-2006, 14:40
Now thats not very tidy at all! But go and have a close look at the 8th Cadian picture in the IG codex. Now there is a great cut and paste.

Satan
18-04-2006, 14:43
Why would you cut & paste an army?! It makes no sense. It's just... stupid. If they don't have 2000 pts, then don't ought to make that claim either. It speaks for itself. Why couldn't they just showcase the models?

de Selby
18-04-2006, 14:59
What is odd is that in the past, they've cut and pasted units to make up those army pics (for Tau most recently) even when other pics clearly showed that they did have all the models...

:confused:

gathering_darkness
18-04-2006, 15:13
lazyness? Thats the only real excuse i can think of, especially in the case of the Tau

18-04-2006, 15:52
look at the dwarfs on the back cover of white dwarf right before they came out

ssame thing

Lostanddamned
18-04-2006, 15:55
The only excuse for copy and psting is the 8th cadian.

But they still managed to produce the entire ultramarine chapter before, so maybe that isnt an excuse.

the spook
18-04-2006, 16:42
The why is obvious - they save a lot of money - if only from paying what, a 2 heavy metal artists hours and hours and hours of thier time to paying one photoshop artist for whats probably a day or two project?

ML Kurze
18-04-2006, 16:54
A pity they did that, would've loved to have seen the Vostroyans dunking it out with a Lost and the Damned army.

erion
18-04-2006, 17:43
It's entirely possible they simply didn't have all the models ready for the photo shoot. These things probably have to be done at least several weeks, maybe even up to two-three months in advance in order to get the magazine laid out, printed and sent to subscribers on-time. not to mention the fact that they were likely competing for face time with the models with packaging shoots, promo shoots...

stahly
18-04-2006, 17:57
Get over it.
The eavy metal team consists of about nine people, and every other month there is a major release for either 40k, FB or LotR for which they have to paint a complete studio armies plus alternate color shemes. They can't paint everything in huge numbers.

EvC
18-04-2006, 18:01
I think the point is that hey maybe they shouldn't be dishonest and pretend they've painted that many troops up? After all, the Vostroyans are going to be expensive to jonny punter, but I doubt GW would appreciate us proxying troops in instead of buying and painting all those lovely expensive metal figures ;)

Does anyone remember when the Daemonhunters were released, there was a picture of an Inquisitor exorcising a planet or something on the back of WD, with him and his retinue surrounded by hundreds of Bloodletters and Flesh Hounds- would that have been a cut 'n' paste job, all that time ago?

Ki-Adi-Monkey
18-04-2006, 18:17
Does anyone remember when the Daemonhunters were released, there was a picture of an Inquisitor exorcising a planet or something on the back of WD, with him and his retinue surrounded by hundreds of Bloodletters and Flesh Hounds- would that have been a cut 'n' paste job, all that time ago?

Yes, but it was only 3 years ago.

Rob

t-tauri
18-04-2006, 18:17
Does anyone remember when the Daemonhunters were released, there was a picture of an Inquisitor exorcising a planet or something on the back of WD, with him and his retinue surrounded by hundreds of Bloodletters and Flesh Hounds- would that have been a cut 'n' paste job, all that time ago?Yup. I don't think they've done any "real" mass photos since the ultras spread. Even those needed every shop in the UK to do a ten man squad and a vehicle and needed enormous amounts of organisation.

I don't think it's a deliberate effort to deceive and there probably will be a Vostroyan army painted up for a Medusa battle report.Time constraints probably meant they couldn't have the whole army painted up so quickly. In the UK we should see this shortly as the book is due with the next WD.

ssorck
18-04-2006, 18:25
My point exactly EvC - I'm all for showing off the new models - its just unneccesary to show them as a 2000 pt army when it isn't really...

the spook
18-04-2006, 19:52
It's entirely possible they simply didn't have all the models ready for the photo shoot. These things probably have to be done at least several weeks, maybe even up to two-three months in advance in order to get the magazine laid out, printed and sent to subscribers on-time. not to mention the fact that they were likely competing for face time with the models with packaging shoots, promo shoots...

Good points - im in the graphic arts business myself and i don't think people really have much appreciation for how much time and effort it takes to pump out quality artwork. Like it or not - GW's doing an admirable job in the quality and art department, and the photoshopped 2000pt army is better than nothing at all...

Latro_
18-04-2006, 20:03
I think the point is that hey maybe they shouldn't be dishonest and pretend they've painted that many troops up?

If you wanna go down that route its pretty dishonest that my gaunts dont actually fire bio electrical energy from their arms.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/99/6f/e1_1_b.JPG

hehe

Grimshawl
18-04-2006, 20:12
Then dont be surprised/ annoyed when I figure a way to field my speed freaks with real exploding roket launchas, etc etc,,, :)
Its not at all the same thing, a previous poster hit alot closer to the mark when he talked about showing up with a photo shoped army/ horde instead of actual figs to play because it would be so much cheaper and easier than painting and buying all the figs you need to run a 40k army. Anyway its not the end of the world issue but it is disapointing and kinda defeats the purpose of even showing such a fabricated fake army, we would be calling foul if someone came online and put up pics of his/ this 40k army if we discovered he had only cheated to create it as a pic like was done for this picture so why be surprised when people ridicule the same thing done by GW.
I especially like the excuse someone brought forth about how expensive and time consuming it would be for GW to actually do this army, welcome to the hobby buddy thats why we would give GW props for doing it because we do know the time and expense assembling buying and painting an army costs.

PS I meant exploding rockets, but then knowing my orks the original statement stands as well ;)

erion
18-04-2006, 20:14
Good points - im in the graphic arts business myself and i don't think people really have much appreciation for how much time and effort it takes to pump out quality artwork. Like it or not - GW's doing an admirable job in the quality and art department, and the photoshopped 2000pt army is better than nothing at all...

My younger brother does Graphic Design for a living as well. I've heard many horror stories of superiors making promises it's literally impossible to keep because of the built-in delays with getting stuff to and from the printers...

Latro_
18-04-2006, 20:53
Its not the expense its the time. These models are generally only painted for display not for use in like a 5k army. As a former GW staff member i'd of loved to of been able to to photosjop up an army of orks or guard or something to look near on realistically huge when the store needed one painting. Unfourtunetly our armies were ina glass cabinet not paper.

giner
18-04-2006, 21:12
Why didn't they just rearrange(sp?) the models so they at least looked like different units?

EvC
18-04-2006, 21:38
If you wanna go down that route its pretty dishonest that my gaunts dont actually fire bio electrical energy from their arms.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/99/6f/e1_1_b.JPG

hehe

So is stealing GW's intellectual property like that, you know ;)

This isn't a huge deal, it's just a bit laughable, really. Having found out that the big Daemonhunters scene back ages ago was "faked" takes away the magic from it for me. There's a scene in the movie, "V for Vendetta" where the title character tips over a huge series of dominoes that looks really impressive... knowing that they used professionals to set that up is one thing, but if we were to find out they just made the whole scene using an animation program (They didn't) that would make the entire thing worthless.

The worst example of this happening recently was when the Zombie Pirates were released, and they couldn't even be bothered to paint up a single complete unit of the pirates for it.

Tom
18-04-2006, 21:45
Hey now, photoshop users like myself (texture artist) could be very offended by the stuff people come out with here.

arcticblur
18-04-2006, 21:50
I ordered my white dwarf subscription at the end of last month. I called to find out when it would show up. They told me I had to wait till next months issue since I missed last months issue ordered to late and this months issue was allready sent to print. Has anyone else had this problem?

Ironhand
18-04-2006, 22:00
I had that happen to me the last time I renewed my subscription. I had to buy one issue from my FLGS.

kanluwen
19-04-2006, 01:43
How many of you have a full 2000 points painted well enough to make a WD spread?

Oh that's right. Hardly any. Get over it. If you can do the Heavy Metal team's job better, than prove it. Buy a full 2k of Vostroyans and have them painted within a two week timeframe, being based, correctly IDed for units and everything.

You can't. It's really that simple. Even with the full Heavy Metal team, it just isn't doable unless they're working in sweat shop conditions. Curse those labor laws!

AmKhaibitu
19-04-2006, 02:00
Kanluwen, the point isn't the time needed to paint a 2000 point army, the point is they shouldn't have showed an army they didn't have in the first place.

I have no idea how much 1 box of Vostroyans comes to in terms of points, but seriously, why couldn't they just show what they did have unless that wasn't a legal army.

You can see now why I stopped buying white dwarf back in 03, it's really gone downhill.

Todd
19-04-2006, 05:51
Come on, this is just silly! The picture is not dishonest-its just advertising/marketing. I don't think GW is actually trying to pull the wool over our eyes. I think they simply wanted to convey how impressive a 2000pt vostroyan army would look-and hopefully inspire someone to collect and paint that army. People like to bash white dwarf for advertising (though I too wish there was more substantial content) without comprehending that advertising 1) sells models and 2) acquires new customers. These are two things I appreciate because 1) I would like GW to stay in business so I can keep enjoying their products, and 2) I like having people to enjoy the hobby with.

ArtificerArmour
19-04-2006, 10:34
How many of you have a full 2000 points painted well enough to make a WD spread?

Oh that's right. Hardly any. Get over it. If you can do the Heavy Metal team's job better, than prove it. Buy a full 2k of Vostroyans and have them painted within a two week timeframe, being based, correctly IDed for units and everything.

You can't. It's really that simple. Even with the full Heavy Metal team, it just isn't doable unless they're working in sweat shop conditions. Curse those labor laws!

Working 9-5 constantly I'd be able to do it. I'd make sure I'd be able to, because it would be my job and I'd get a wage for it.

ASSASSINAWOKEN
19-04-2006, 12:25
Hey if none of us ever complain about something like this issue we wouldn't have the chance to make such great topic starters such as this thread for example.

ssorck
19-04-2006, 13:52
[QUOTE=kanluwen]How many of you have a full 2000 points painted well enough to make a WD spread?

Hmmm, actually I've had a fully painted Alaitoc army of 2500 pts or so, Nids of about 2000 pts, and 6000 pts of Necrons. All 3 armies are sold at this point, but currently working on about 2200 points or so of Lost and the Damned...all of which were painted while holding a 9 to 5er and being married with a couple of kids...

If I can pull that off painting at night I really don't think it would be too much to expect a fully painted army by someone who paints for a living...

Which BTW isn't even the point of the thread! Nor do I think GW is intentially 'trying to pull the wool over our eyes'. My only point is I would have have rather seen a spread showing what they actually did have painted than a bunch of cut & pasted models., and really I don't see whay they feel the need to state they've got a fully painted 2000 pt army when they don't...

EvC
19-04-2006, 14:30
Come on, this is just silly! The picture is not dishonest-its just advertising/marketing. I don't think GW is actually trying to pull the wool over our eyes. I think they simply wanted to convey how impressive a 2000pt vostroyan army would look-and hopefully inspire someone to collect and paint that army.

Yes, you're right, dishonest is too harsh a term. Worth rolling one's eyes at, and that's about it.

Colonel Jacka
19-04-2006, 14:59

Me and it takes years! This lot started in 1995 and the picture is two years outa date. (Of course thats my thoughts)

ArtificerArmour
19-04-2006, 15:07
anyway, we all know the battles are rigged, rigged to the point they don't actually need to play.

So they only need a couple of squads to showcase in "OMG DRAMATIQUES!!!!11" for the photos.