PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves - Power of Darkness, when to cast?

mortiferum
25-11-2011, 18:33
Assuming a Lvl 4 sorceress armed with the Sacrificial Dagger.

Im relatively new to DE's. In my last game I found myself casting the spell on one dice (sac dagger if required) at every available opportunity, seemed to be a no brainer?

Am I missing something, are there any occassions when you shouldn't cast a Power of Darkness spell?

theunwantedbeing
25-11-2011, 18:40
When you only have power of darkness left?

BlackPawl
25-11-2011, 18:47
If you only roll a 1 or 2 and the level 4 is your only wizard than your magic phase is over before it really begins ...

Dreadlordpaul
25-11-2011, 18:49
I generally use it when im starting to get low on dice and even then I only do it on a dagger dice

sulla
25-11-2011, 18:54
Assuming a lvl4 with the sacrificial dagger, casting single diced power of darkness is always a good tactic once you are down to 8pd (unless you suspect your opponent has the frog scroll)

tmarichards
25-11-2011, 19:26
If you have 2 mages, you can use all but one of the starting power dice on the second mage (for example, casting a big Fireball). Then, with the second mage, you can use that last dice to cast Power of Darkness and get a sort of second magic phase.

Capt._Jaelinek
25-11-2011, 21:28
I think it really depends on the Winds roll. If you roll high you might not even need PoD. If low then you might roll it first to get more dice. Granted there is a risk of snake eyes and the phase is over, but with a low roll it's a crap phase anyway. On more normal phases I tend to cast my spam spells first to use up dispel dice, then PoD and use remaining dice for the important spell. As PoD is only 2-4pd it's nice, but not going to give you six dice for a Mindrazor or something.

That's how I tend to use it anyway.

a18no
26-11-2011, 01:51
How many mages?

Let say one:
a) you roll 10-11-12 on winds, cast one spell then the PoD
b) Got less than 10, start with it.

With 2 (a level 4 and a level 2)
a) you roll 10-11-12 on winds, cast one spell then the PoD on both mages, if one goes, use the dice from it right away before going to the next mage. You don't want a miscast that end your magic phase.
b) Got less than 10, start with it. Same as before, if one goes use those dices right away.

Reason: you opponent will have to block let, it almost always better to stop it than to let it got.

Why in first? Because if your opponent use PAM on other spells, or you missed one, he got too much dispel dice to use on that spell.

With a lvl 2 or a level with no dagger, use 2 dice. Easy go, the benefit is 0, or at least 1. With a lvl 4 dagger, use one dice and then the dagger ONLY if you miss it. The goal of the PoD is more to burn dispel dice thatn to gain some. If your opponent let it go, bah you'll probably got more dice!

Good luck

Dirty Mac
26-11-2011, 06:36
In a big " I need this Magic phase to win the game for me" moment I wouldn't cast it untill I got down to low amounts of dice if at all. Too many times have i rolled 2 dice at PoD and got Irresistible force and lost my mage because of it.

Dark Reaper
26-11-2011, 09:32
How many mages?
You don't want a miscast that end your magic phase.

I am also consantly worried about this. Funny thing is, no result actually ends your magic phase. :P

tmarichards
26-11-2011, 09:36
I find the miscast table to be incredibly forgiving as a rule

Capt._Jaelinek
27-11-2011, 04:30
I can't tell you how often I roll a natural 2 on 2 dice and end my magic phase! Sacrificial dagger is a big help. I really don't want PoD to end a magic phase before it begins.

a18no
28-11-2011, 20:35
I am also consantly worried about this. Funny thing is, no result actually ends your magic phase. :P

What about: Lose D6 power dice. Look like a phase ending to me that will hit you in the face!! ;)

Be carefull iwth a lvl 4 dark/dagger though: If you get 4 dice from the PoD and want to cast with one dice, got 1, throw the dagger and got another 1... you're screw and have to take 3 hits. But that won't happen a lot.

Arijharn
29-11-2011, 01:26
Are you even allowed to use Sacrificial Dagger to escape a roll of a 1 or a 2 when attempting to cast? I thought the ruling for Broken Concentration et al was pretty specific that you couldn't (no bonus from any source).

Dirty Mac
29-11-2011, 02:04
After the casting dice has been rolled the sorceress may sacrifice a model in a unit she has joined. The model is removed immediately, The sorceress gains a power dice that must be rolled and added to the casting total before the dispel attempts.

You get to roll an extra dice,which affects the "Natural dice score" it's not a bonus as such like +4 or 5 to casting attempts. so it's allowed.

tmarichards
29-11-2011, 08:08
It doesn't help me when I try to 1 dice the low casting value spells... "Aha! I have a 10 dice magic phase! I will start off with a 1 dice WS miasma on that unit! *Tom rolls a 1*. No problem, I have the stabby dagger! *Tom rolls another 1*."

Oh, spoons :("

tmarichards
29-11-2011, 08:09
It doesn't help me when I try to 1 dice the low casting value spells... "Aha! I have a 10 dice magic phase! I will start off with a 1 dice WS miasma on that unit! *Tom rolls a 1*. No problem, I have the stabby dagger! *Tom rolls another 1*."

Dreadlordpaul
29-11-2011, 08:38
Ive had that same problem ive gone and thrown one dice at power of darkness and got it yet when I really need it I dont get it :(

a18no
29-11-2011, 14:37

You still have only a 1 out of 36 chance that will happen you know. Bad when it happen, but still worth the risk anytime!

ewar
29-11-2011, 15:29

Or if you're my regular dark elf opponent (count zero on these boards) it goes: "one dice, 6, damn I'm Becalmed. Dagger dice, damn 6, end of magic phase"

He really loves the magic frog of doom.

OT: I'd always one dice PoD with a dagger Mage or two dice without, first spell of the phase. As its done to me all the time I can tell you, you have to dispel it or it's phase over really. It's essentially a nearly fool proof way of drawing at least two DD every phase - I honestly hate that damned spell!

a18no
29-11-2011, 15:51
Or if you're my regular dark elf opponent (count zero on these boards) it goes: "one dice, 6, damn I'm Becalmed. Dagger dice, damn 6, end of magic phase"

OT: I'd always one dice PoD with a dagger Mage or two dice without, first spell of the phase. As its done to me all the time I can tell you, you have to dispel it or it's phase over really. It's essentially a nearly fool proof way of drawing at least two DD every phase - I honestly hate that damned spell!

Two DD? Only if the spell goes thrue with only one dice. Cause it's more like 3 around here (if 2 dices were used, or you needed the dagger for the one-dice casting attempt). If he use 2, he have a 50% chance to negate your spell. And a 50% chance to screw their lvl 4 for the rest of the phase...

But you got it right, and I play it exactly in the idea.

tmarichards
29-11-2011, 16:35
@Ewar- this might be a very random question, but do you actually live near Tower Bridge? If so, where do you usually game, because that's dead close to me and I've not found anywhere decent nearby :(

vorthrax
30-11-2011, 03:03
I'd always one dice PoD with a dagger Mage or two dice without, first spell of the phase. As its done to me all the time I can tell you, you have to dispel it or it's phase over really. It's essentially a nearly fool proof way of drawing at least two DD every phase - I honestly hate that damned spell!This is exactly what I do and for this exact reason.

The only real exception to casting Power of Darkness first, is when you make a very high Winds of Magic roll. In which case wait until you're down to nine or fewer power dice, then one-dice/dagger cast Power of Darkness.

a18no
30-11-2011, 17:59
My strongest magic phase was:

1- 8 PD from winds, double 4, my opponent get 4 DD, no one channel
2- Cast PoD with lvl 4 dagger, one dice. My opponent let it, I got 4 dice, so now 11PD against 4DD
3- Cast 3 spells my lvl 4 in dark magic, 2 with 1 dice (blades and WS drop on a unit against my executionner) and 1 with 2 dices (Black horror that killed more than half a unit that wasn't in close combat). My opponent used 2 dice against Blades. I was then left with 7 dice, and 3 spells were cast sucessfully!
4- Cast PoD with the level 2 shadow, 2 PD, opponent dispelled it. I'm left with 5 dice and opponent 0. I then cast mindrazor with 5 dices on my witches. In the close combat, I killed 2 unit (one with the executionner with WS5 against 1, and 1 with the Str8 witches). My opponent quit after that, 3 unit lost in the same turn!!

vorthrax
30-11-2011, 20:33
My strongest magic phase was:

1- 8 PD from winds, double 4, my opponent get 4 DD, no one channel
2- Cast PoD with lvl 4 dagger, one dice. My opponent let it, I got 4 dice, so now 11PD against 4DD
3- Cast 3 spells my lvl 4 in dark magic, 2 with 1 dice (blades and WS drop on a unit against my executionner) and 1 with 2 dices (Black horror that killed more than half a unit that wasn't in close combat). My opponent used 2 dice against Blades. I was then left with 7 dice, and 3 spells were cast sucessfully!
4- Cast PoD with the level 2 shadow, 2 PD, opponent dispelled it. I'm left with 5 dice and opponent 0. I then cast mindrazor with 5 dices on my witches. In the close combat, I killed 2 unit (one with the executionner with WS5 against 1, and 1 with the Str8 witches). My opponent quit after that, 3 unit lost in the same turn!!Very nice!

ewar
30-11-2011, 21:29
Two DD? Only if the spell goes thrue with only one dice. Cause it's more like 3 around here (if 2 dices were used, or you needed the dagger for the one-dice casting attempt). If he use 2, he have a 50% chance to negate your spell. And a 50% chance to screw their lvl 4 for the rest of the phase...

But you got it right, and I play it exactly in the idea.

Hehe, to be fair, I did say 'at least' 2 DD. But agreed, the PoD is a very good opening spell for any round you of average winds (say, 5+ PD). <4 and I'd probably just go for a single spell against the opponents minimal dice.

@Ewar- this might be a very random question, but do you actually live near Tower Bridge? If so, where do you usually game, because that's dead close to me and I've not found anywhere decent nearby :(

I did live within about 5 minutes of tower bridge until June, then I moved out into the wilds of Kent to the commuter belt, as my daughter was born in August and Bermondsey is not what I'd consider family friendly!

You're in East London right? Shame, we could have played a game before. I only play at home against a small group of friends as generally don't have time for clubs (between work and the trench-coated neck beards it's never really fit in). I did go to the Cross gaming club once though, and they seemed nice (though terrain was not up to scratch for my liking) - they were playing on Borough High Street, so just near London Bridge.

I'm going to Downfall in Cardiff at the weekend with my LM - the comp has worked out excellently for me as my Throne of Skulls list fit without any changes (not sure if that means I run an especially soft list for an uncomped tourney or the LM are just getting away with a light touch at Downfall!)

tmarichards
30-11-2011, 21:38
Yeah, I live in Wapping now that I've finished uni. Can't make Downfall unfortunately, but Winter Incursion is on like Donkey Kong. Taking my Wood Elves though :)

Count Zero
02-12-2011, 07:33

oh yeah that was hilarious :eyebrows: