PDA

View Full Version : Question: How many people will use tokens for Necrons?

Warlord Gnashgrod
25-11-2011, 20:00
I was just curious. According to the Necron Codex, it says that when nocrons are to be removed as a casualty, to place a marker by the unit for each of them to represent how many RP rolls to make. So how many people are actually going to do this? I plan to just do the same thing we did with the old codex; lay the models down on their side. I mean, why get counters to do this?

Anyone else? Thoughts on this?

Ace Rimmer
25-11-2011, 20:49
Because then GW can make a set of counters for it, at a wild guess ;)

I'd go for the old system of just laying them down.

Azazel
25-11-2011, 20:59
I might make some out of the Warriors that come with the Doomsday Ark, but I'll probably just lay them down like I always did.

Now there are so few metal models in the range I don't have to worry about chipping their paint.

IcedCrow
25-11-2011, 21:45
I lay the models down. I don't see a need for tokens.

Spiney Norman
25-11-2011, 22:08
I'm using the blip markers from my space hulk set, I'm kinda glad about not laying models down any more, it was too easy to chip metals, esp immortals and wraiths (not that wraiths are a problem in that department any more)

Bunnahabhain
25-11-2011, 22:12
Don't lots of the sets come with loads of spare heads?

There are your markers there.....

KingNova3000
25-11-2011, 22:50
Laying models down with the new WBB rules can possibly cause confusion when using same unit types when in close proximity to one another, mainly from your opponents perspective. Unit A is next to unit B or are bother involved in the same combat: unit A is wiped, so no one can get back up. Unit B sustains heavy casualties but downed crons have the chance to stand. If models are laying around from unit A the confusion might pop up as to what unit they belong to.

Plus laying down models looks really untidy. I'd just use a d12 or d20 to keep count. Simple, cheap, neat, harmless to painter and effective.

Phyros
25-11-2011, 22:51
Because little, flat, round tokens are easier for your opponents to move and shoot over as well as give an accurate location of where any particular Necron was?

I certainly wouldn't want the other guy banging his models on top of mine, shoving them out of the way, then when they came back I'd have to approximate their location.

Ravenous
25-11-2011, 22:59
Just buy those little gems, you get 50 for $5 at walmart.

Blink
25-11-2011, 23:11
Just buy those little gems, you get 50 for $1 at a dollar store.

There you go. =).

Akaiyou
25-11-2011, 23:35
Just want to point out the new rules do not statee that u mustt return them in the exact location they died this is useful as you can add some mobility to the unit wether to bring them closer or move further away from enemy units.

Clang
25-11-2011, 23:45
You can buy small round plastic tokens pretty cheaply - I'd rather use those than risk scratching my paintwork.

MajorWesJanson
26-11-2011, 00:21
GW needs to make another set of green tokens, this time for xenos. Things like RP tokens, Pain points, Markerlight tickets, markers for units affected by catalyst, Hammerhand, ect.

Phyros
26-11-2011, 02:24
Just want to point out the new rules do not statee that u mustt return them in the exact location they died this is useful as you can add some mobility to the unit wether to bring them closer or move further away from enemy units.

Sounds kind of hokey to me.

Akaiyou
26-11-2011, 02:48
If they wanted you to plaace them in the same spot they would say to place them (anywhere) in coherency with another model in the unit. This is one of the few benefits of the new wbb rules. The other being being able to do it in every phase, which helps quite a bit considering the crappy 5+ needed.

Vipoid
26-11-2011, 11:40
At the moment, I just lie them on their sides. It just seems a lot easier than removing the models, putting a counter there for each dead necron, putting a special counter for each model with 'Ever Living', then putting some of the models back again if they stand back up.

If there's a lot of clutter, I might get out a d8, d10 or d12 and use that, but generally it's easier and faster to just lie them on their sides. If there are a couple of necron units in combat, I'll just lie them down near the squad they belong to. The exact position where each model dies no longer matters, so it's usually relatively easy to lie them in such a way as to remove any ambiguity as to which squad they belong to.

Azulthar
26-11-2011, 11:48
No way am I using tokens. The fun with Necrons is setting your downed models back on their feet! :)

stroller
26-11-2011, 15:22
What Azulthar said.

Threeshades
26-11-2011, 15:42
Yeah, just laying your casualty models on the side serves perfectly fine as a counter.

For those who don't want to do that, because for example they still have some metal minis and don't want to risk the paint getting chipped, just put down a dice next to the unit displaying the number of casualties.

Chem-Dog
26-11-2011, 16:06
My club's resident Necron Overlord is happy to lay the models down. Personally, the whole system seems less than fluid like Vipoid says, getting tokens out to replace models you may well be putting back in 30 seconds time seems a little like making work for yourself. Besides, most people I know like to arrange their troops (even faceless automatons) into specific squads that never change or get intermingled, the token system promotes.....mixing.... And everyone knows squads are less effective on the table if they're mixed.

Lord Damocles
26-11-2011, 20:33
There's no point bothering with tokens (Reanimation Protocols, Ever Living at least). You only have to last until the end of the current phase!

I just lay the models down (the only time the position of the token actually matters is Ever Living when the model wasn't attached to another unit). If they're getting in the way, just shunt them to one side for a few seconds.

Simples.

Aluinn
26-11-2011, 23:27
I just use a D10 to indicate the number of downed models in the unit, placed right next to the unit in a way that leaves no ambiguity as to which it "belongs" to. This seems a lot easier than either knocking models over--which I also find to look a bit stupid, personally, never mind paint chipping issues on hard-surface boards--and also creates less clutter than counters. Having the D10s around can also be handy for "select a random model in the unit" abilities.

Cheeslord
26-11-2011, 23:36
I will just lay my Necrons down - its not as though my models are Mastercrafted +10 anyway..

In terms of terrible rules mechanics to actually play this is nowhere near as bad as the "select a random model in the enemy unit" rules (e.g. Transdimensional Beamer) - so I have a mob of 30 Ork Boyz reduced to 27 by my other shooting, with 3 big shootas, nob with power klaw and attached warboss. Now I need to choose a random model from the unit using only D6s. What fun...

Mark.

Warlord Gnashgrod
27-11-2011, 06:08
I don't see why the units being in combat would be a problem with just lying them down. I mean, you must have a way of telling different units apart in the first place. Distance between 'standing' and not standing models no longer applies. As long as the unit still has some models standing, and isn't running away from a failed morale check, then you get the RP rolls.

And as far as being worried about getting your models scratched up by lying them down, that's why you seal them. ;)

Vipoid
27-11-2011, 09:18
I will just lay my Necrons down - its not as though my models are Mastercrafted +10 anyway..

In terms of terrible rules mechanics to actually play this is nowhere near as bad as the "select a random model in the enemy unit" rules (e.g. Transdimensional Beamer) - so I have a mob of 30 Ork Boyz reduced to 27 by my other shooting, with 3 big shootas, nob with power klaw and attached warboss. Now I need to choose a random model from the unit using only D6s. What fun...

Mark.

And don't forget - you can't just group those Big Shootas and standard boyz together, since a dead model at the front could be important for charge/shooting distance. :eyebrows:

Does anyone else think Matt Ward developed a fettish for randomisation whilst writing this codex? There certainly seems to be a lot more than would be reasonable. :wtf:

Hendarion
27-11-2011, 10:13
I was just curious. According to the Necron Codex, it says that when nocrons are to be removed as a casualty, to place a marker by the unit for each of them to represent how many RP rolls to make. So how many people are actually going to do this?
I'm glad I'm not a necron-player and if I'd be, I won't endanger the painting on my miniatures and instead simply put them aside in a separate group or use markers.

Vipoid
27-11-2011, 11:01
I'm glad I'm not a necron-player and if I'd be, I won't endanger the painting on my miniatures and instead simply put them aside in a separate group or use markers.

I have to say, as a necron player who has been lying my models on their sides for years, I've never managed to actually scratch or damage a single one by doing so.

Azazel
27-11-2011, 12:55
I have to say, as a necron player who has been lying my models on their sides for years, I've never managed to actually scratch or damage a single one by doing so.

Same, although I never used the old Immortals or Wraiths.

Lars Porsenna
27-11-2011, 16:30
I lay mine down with the new rules too.

Frankly, if you take sufficient precautions during the painting stage, unless you play on sandpaper, scratching should not be an issue. I let the primer on my figures cure for a week, and then at the end coat the whole thing in Future. I don't have many issues with scratching (just handling the figure is more detrimental to the paint job then laying them down...)

Damon.

Vaktathi
28-11-2011, 07:11
They never define exactly what a token is supposed to be, hence you can use models turned on their sides as tokens. :p

Adra
28-11-2011, 07:52
As there is no definition on how big a token has to be, could you not use a large token to mess around with an Ever Living roll for a guy left alone? I thought the rule said you can place him up to three inches from his token, so if you have a big token that would mean you could extend the area he can RP in.

Example. Destroyer Lord goes down, you place a 60mm base as his token. He can then RP 3 inches from the token, so almost 5 inches from where he fell.

I know this is a bit of a rules point but it just raises some issues with tokens having no defined shape/size/anything

rocdocta
28-11-2011, 07:57
What Azulthar said.

+1. And i am not buying into more GW pointless "tools".

Beppo1234
28-11-2011, 08:09
I'm gonna do 'crons in the far future, and I figure that the new kits should have enough arms left over to make zombie like 'rising from the grave' type bases out of leftovers

Tarax
28-11-2011, 08:51
As there is no definition on how big a token has to be, could you not use a large token to mess around with an Ever Living roll for a guy left alone? I thought the rule said you can place him up to three inches from his token, so if you have a big token that would mean you could extend the area he can RP in.

Example. Destroyer Lord goes down, you place a 60mm base as his token. He can then RP 3 inches from the token, so almost 5 inches from where he fell.

I know this is a bit of a rules point but it just raises some issues with tokens having no defined shape/size/anything

I think you have to go 'center of the model' to 'center of the model'.

Has anyone also thought about simply using (different coloured) D6s?

Vipoid
28-11-2011, 08:58
Has anyone also thought about simply using (different coloured) D6s?

I have, and I've dismissed the idea.

It's far too easy to pick up and roll what appears to be an errant d6, only to realise afterwards that it was marking/counting something important.

Axel
28-11-2011, 09:00
I use regular Necrons as tokens - and to make them different from the actual unit, I lay them down...

Vipoid
28-11-2011, 09:11
I use regular Necrons as tokens - and to make them different from the actual unit, I lay them down...

:yes::yes::yes:

Cheeslord
28-11-2011, 10:17
I have, and I've dismissed the idea.

It's far too easy to pick up and roll what appears to be an errant d6, only to realise afterwards that it was marking/counting something important.

We use distinctive dice for wounds (preferably Dx where x<>6) so using them for downed necrons would be confusing.

Mark.

Gangremond
28-11-2011, 17:33
I use a d10 to use as a turn marker. I've used 16mm d6's as my wound markers and different colored 12 mm d6's for regular rolls.

Back on topic:

I plan on having my necrons having different colored chests to represent different squads. When a model takes a wound, I plan on setting that model standing up apart from the models still in the fight.